Why do pilots say.......(uncontrolled)

That's what I am saying. They are all active at uncontrolled field. There is no such thing as THE active.

You are correct sir! :yesnod:

ed-mcmahon-johnny-carson.jpg

Yes it was. Notice I said I take off DOWNwind.

5000' of runway in a skywagon, you can take off any which way you like. :D

Unless its a one way in, one way out strip, Id take off into the wind, birds have brains the size of a peanut and even they know this, I have a 185F and I don't even play that game, unless I have to.

Unless its a one way in, one way out strip, Id take off into the wind, birds have brains the size of a peanut and even they know this, I have a 185F and I don't even play that game, unless I have to.

I don't see a thing wrong with it when I'm light, winds are light, and I'm headed North off a one mile runway, I'm taking off North. :dunno:

I don't see a thing wrong with it when I'm light, winds are light, and I'm headed North off a one mile runway, I'm taking off North. :dunno:

What's the gain in doing this?

Time, fuel, altitude, navigation aggravation ...

I like brunette's too. :goofy:

Unless it's a one way out airport it just isn't worth the savings in my book, imagining how the NTSB report would read in my head, just not worth taking a tailwind if I don't have to.

Unless it's a one way out airport it just isn't worth the savings in my book, imagining how the NTSB report would read in my head, just not worth taking a tailwind if I don't have to.

The take off roll in a lightly loaded skywagon with a light tailwind should be a non-event. If it is, you may need a new motor or something ... :dunno:

We can beat this to death, but it won't change my tactics.

I know my plane. :yesnod:

Take anyone with the habit of saying "the active" to an uncontrolled airport with parallel runways. Are there any? ;)

Take anyone with the habit of saying "the active" to an uncontrolled airport with parallel runways. Are there any? ;)

Oh duh. Answering my own question... KLNK after the tower closes at night. ;). Duuuuuh.

Anyway. That should break them of the habit. Ha.

The take off roll in a lightly loaded skywagon with a light tailwind should be a non-event. If it is, you may need a new motor or something ... :dunno:

I hear ya, and I'm rocking a 300hp 185F, I can power my way out if all sorts of situations, I still like to avoid getting somewhere where I need 300hp to start with :dunno:

To each their own.

It is not uncontrolled, it is uncontrollable.

People say "the active" initially during student training at non-towered airports because they forget the actual number, or find "the active" easier to say than "runway xx", which still requires more brain power than a rote "the active".
See how that just rolls off the tounge?
And when you using every brain cell you can to control the airplane, you're gonna take the easiest radio call you can.
So the habit is set, and "everyone does it", like the ever so popular "with you".
I like it- sounds homey.

Pilots say a lot of stupid things! I think we sometimes just get rusty. I hate it if someone says they're clear of the active if there is more than one runway. I usually say clear of all runways or clear of a specific runway.

I also love it when someone calls unicom to ask which runway is active. It happens way too often. Stop being lazy and check the winds and decide which one you want to use... they're all active! I told our local airport manager to tell them they're all active, they should check the winds. We don't have AWOS and if there's an accident, I would hate for them to say he advised them to use the wrong runway.

"N12345 Is taking/clear of the ACTIVE (followed by rnwy #)" ?. Is there really an active runway when it's uncontrolled? What might be a good runway to me might not be so much for you, so are there multiple actives?

There used to be one in Northern California. New Jerusalem (1Q4). It's a bit of an odd duck. There were two parallel runways out in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing there but runways and taxiways. No hangars, no services, no nothing.

The Army built the airport back during WWII to train primary students. They would have two patterns full of students going around and around. Practicing landings is what it is still used for. That and model airplanes on the closed runway.

When I started flying, both runways were ACTIVE :rolleyes2:, but they have since closed one and turned it into a model airplane runway. There never was a tower or any controller here.

29_1Q4_B30.JPG

Oh duh. Answering my own question... KLNK after the tower closes at night. ;). Duuuuuh.

Anyway. That should break them of the habit. Ha.

Brunswick Executive (former Brunswick Navar Air Station) has two ver 8000 feet parallel runways and is uncontrolled.

People say "the active" initially during student training at non-towered airports because they forget the actual number, or find "the active" easier to say than "runway xx", which still requires more brain power than a rote "the active".
And when you using every brain cell you can to control the airplane, you're gonna take the easiest radio call you can.
So the habit is set, and "everyone does it", like the ever so popular "with you".
I like it- sounds homey.

Another instance is when you're at a towered airport which is landing AND DEPARTING from two runways, "taxi to the active with Alpha".

I like it- sounds homey.

Students wouldn't say "the active" if hadn't been exposed to "the active" ...

Another instance is when you're at a towered airport which is landing AND DEPARTING from two runways, "taxi to the active with Alpha".

"ready to taxi, with alpha" works everywhere I've ever been. Quite often I drop the "with" as well.

Nitpicking like a mofo! Lol

"ready to taxi, with alpha" works everywhere I've ever been. Quite often I drop the "with" as well.

Dulles it goes like this "Navion 5327K Information Hotel Landmark Taxi"

They already know you're going to depart, the CD guy dropped the strip on the ground controller's rack.

It's done often at uncontrolled airports when they are not busy, especially in something like a 180 or a 185, mooney, whatever. Saves time and wear. At one uncontrolled airport I've used often, you better call in and ask for the active and where you are in relation to the airport, then call downwind , base, and final or you won't be welcome there again. With gliders, jumpers, and normal traffic, they want too know exactly where you are, no mystery aircraft!

I used to sometimes say active. I agree with the earlier post that it may have partially been due to student workload.

Ultimately, I am just happy that people are talking. For me I want to convey as much relevant information as possible in the least number of words. Xyz clear of the active. Xyz clear of runway 22 both work, but I prefer xyz clear of 22. Fewest words, very clear what runway I just cleared.

I am one of the foolish early adopters and have ads-b in and out. Makes it very easy to see what other planes are doing in the pattern and to be prepared (and yes, I am aware that some planes might be in the pattern without a transponder. I did not say I don't keep my head on a swivel looking out side the plane).

Jim

Here is why I use "clear of 2-0" rather than "clear of the active"...one thing we can all agree hating hearing is "any traffic in the pattern, please advise". I think, well just tune in the damn radio and listen more than 3 miles out and you will hear if there is!

If I tune in and hear "clear runway 2-0" I then have a mental picture of which runway is in use. Now I am gonna verify with winds and such, but its starts that mental picture of what is happening at the field. If I just hear "active" I have no better idea of what is happening than before I tuned in.

Makes it clear to all.

Xyz clear of the active. Xyz clear of runway 22 both work, but I prefer xyz clear of 22.
Well actually they don't both work. Clear of the active tells a pilot nothing if you are at uncontrolled field. Clear off 22 like you said, is the better choice.

Well actually they don't both work. Clear of the active tells a pilot nothing if you are at uncontrolled field. Clear off 22 like you said, is the better choice.

How many hours do you have?

Ok, so we both agree that saying the runway # is better, but saying clear of the active most assuredly tells everyone you are no longer on the runway. At my home drone, I am happy that some of them key the mike and say anything. Fair amount of traffic that either does not have a radio, or simply chooses not to use it.

It often seems like some people that use the word active are trying to dictate what runway to use, especially if other pilots have used a different runway.

At my home drone, I am happy that some of them key the mike and say anything.

No kidding.

The worst offenders seem to be the Citation's and Gulfstream champagne crowd.

Never a sound except the buckets reversing out and jet fuel smell. :nonod:

Last edited:
There used to be one in Northern California. New Jerusalem (1Q4). It's a bit of an odd duck. There were two parallel runways out in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing there but runways and taxiways. No hangars, no services, no nothing.

The Army built the airport back during WWII to train primary students. They would have two patterns full of students going around and around. Practicing landings is what it is still used for. That and model airplanes on the closed runway.

When I started flying, both runways were ACTIVE :rolleyes2:, but they have since closed one and turned it into a model airplane runway. There never was a tower or any controller here.

29_1Q4_B30.JPG

Interesting airport, thanks for sharing!

The generally preferred runway at our local airport is 20. On a busy afternoon, most planes will be using 20, and you might find a student and CFI using 27 for crosswind landings and maybe a helo squeezing in between fixed-wings on 9. Which one is the active?

What does it matter? If you have 9000 hours and have been doing it wrong the additional zeros in the hours does not somehow make it right :nonod:.
I allready know the response. You have 260 hours and you're still a student pilot. You shouldn't be giving anyone advice. I fly turboprops, bow to me. Yes I am a student pilot. I'm working on my CFI! Don't read too much into a signature on an internet forum. If I wrote part time brain surgeon and captain of an A380 maybe he would believe me.

Nothing like you that.

Just somethings work a little diffrent in the wild, "clear the active", though not text book, works just fine at all those single runway un-towered airports, at least for all the people listening with a IQ above that of a labradoodle

Nothing like you that.

Just somethings work a little diffrent in the wild, "clear the active", though not text book, works just fine at all those single runway un-towered airports, at least for all the people listening with a IQ above that of a labradoodle

I agree it works in cases of single runways but it's most certainly not better. The runway number tells more and helps confirm that you're at the airport I think you're at. A checksum, in a way, albeit a weak one, but certainly a better one than active.

Jesse, the airport name precedes and follows "clear OF the active" at my single strip / two runway base. Maybe if people used correct grammar, there would be less confusion? "Clear the active" sounds like a command (Get out of my way!), while "clear of the active" is clearly a statement.

I don't add a runway number because there are only two, and it's up to each pilot to choose which one. End of a trip, land into the wind; out for practice, may go the other way for higher crosswind component; for night currency, if it's calm I've been known to take off and land on 26, roll to the end, turn around and use 8 for the second, then have the third on 26 again, so when I'm clearing the active, which one am I clearing?

Pretty sure I recall a former discussion where the whole concept of reporting clear of the runway at a non-towered airport was called into question and deemed unnecessary.

I think the reasoning was that the information was most relevant to an aircraft on final approach behind you. And that aircraft should be able to clearly see if you are clear of the runway. And any other aircraft in the pattern should have spaced out appropriately to give plenty of time for the prior aircraft to clear and additionally should again be able to see the aircraft clearing the runway in VFR conditions.

So, my last radio call is usually turning final with the runway number and airport given in that call.

Anyway, I rarely call "Clear of runway xx" at non-towered airports, and I don't really seem to be depriving other arriving aircraft of any critical information.

Thoughts?

Pretty sure I recall a former discussion where the whole concept of reporting clear of the runway at a non-towered airport was called into question and deemed unnecessary.

I think the reasoning was that the information was most relevant to an aircraft on final approach behind you. And that aircraft should be able to clearly see if you are clear of the runway. And any other aircraft in the pattern should have spaced out appropriately to give plenty of time for the prior aircraft to clear and additionally should again be able to see the aircraft clearing the runway in VFR conditions.

So, my last radio call is usually turning final with the runway number and airport given in that call.

Anyway, I rarely call "Clear of runway xx" at non-towered airports, and I don't really seem to be depriving other arriving aircraft of any critical information.

Thoughts?

Reporting clear of the runway is most helpful for traffic waiting to takeoff where they may not be able to see for certain if you are still on the runway due to airport layout. Otherwise, I'd agree that it isn't really necessary.

Thoughts?

At home I usually depart 09 and quite often someone is on approach to land 27. If they don't report clear of the runway I can't see them due to the midfield hump.

I often announce that I am holding short of 09 and ask the traffic on approach to report clear of the runway.

Back