Why do pilots say.......(uncontrolled)

NJP_MAN

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
"N12345 Is taking/clear of the ACTIVE (followed by rnwy #)" ?. Is there really an active runway when it's uncontrolled? What might be a good runway to me might not be so much for you, so are there multiple actives?

I'm not "with you" on this one...it's nice to hear the runway number and what they are doing...anything else doesn't matter.

Just one of those small pet peeves about terminology. Don't let it get to you. You aren't gonna change the whole flying community. It's like when I hear people say "Cessna N12345, IFR to XYZ, clearance on request, ready to copy..." I cant help but grit my teeth.

They should have just said "clear of runway (state number)"

Although I hate the term "activate" over the radio...yes, some airports have designated "calm wind" runways in the A/FD that are to be used when certain conditions exist.

"N12345 Is taking/clear of the ACTIVE (followed by rnwy #)" ?. Is there really an active runway when it's uncontrolled? What might be a good runway to me might not be so much for you, so are there multiple actives?

I flew at to Casa Grande yesterday and called out which was the active runway everyone was using. I guess I was wrong asking this.

I flew at to Casa Grande yesterday and called out which was the active runway everyone was using. I guess I was wrong asking this.

That's okay a Casa Grande, but ya better not do that over Macho Grande. There ya gotta tell them what your doing, not the other way round...

Not exactly wrong. But if they were landing 5 for the ILS with a 4 kt tailwind and you wanted to come in the other direction to fly at the head wind you can do that. Then technically they are both active. Therefore there isn't a THE active.

Saw a prime example yesterday of a free for all at a "non towered" field winds light @5 knots just favored Rwy23 a couple of guys were doing closed pattern work doing T&G's on 23..and then some giy just announced a straight in for Rwy 5 ! Fortunately the guys in the pattern just extended their downwind while this other guy in his twin came steaming in on 5 !

It's like when I hear people say "Cessna N12345, IFR to XYZ, clearance on request, ready to copy..." I cant help but grit my teeth.

OK, I'll bite...is it the "on request", "ready to copy"...or both.

With ATC in my area from my uncontrolled field I learned to add the "ready to copy" to my initial call up

"Nor Cal, Skylane 123AB on the ground in Watsonville, IFR to XYZ, ready to copy"

Response is usually a "standby"

Then they blurt out the clearance.

Otherwise it is a whole nother conversation back and forth to check and see if I am ready to copy tying up radio time while I am sitting there with my pen in my hand.

Last edited:
For anyone listening to the frequency that wants to know the runway they are using and where/what they are doing on or around the airport. Also just because there is no tower doesnt mean its not going to have an active runway. There is an active runway in a sense, that which ever direction the wind favors is going to be the active runway to use, but its not required to be the runway used like a controlled field.

Last edited:
Calling any airport uncontrolled is in its self wrong.

You are the control at a non towered airport.

Not exactly wrong. But if they were landing 5 for the ILS with a 4 kt tailwind and you wanted to come in the other direction to fly at the head wind you can do that. Then technically they are both active.

I kept hearing altitude reports from several aircraft but no one was announcing the runway they were using. I guess they were practicing ILS procedures and wasn't landing.

For anyone listening to the frequency that wants to know the runway they are using and where/what they are doing on or around the airport. There is an active runway in a sense, that which ever direction the wind favors is going to be the active runway to use.

In that case saying "N123 is departing/clearing RNWY xx" does the same thing. The words 'the active" are unnecessary and make it sound like there is someone actually deciding for me which is "the active"

Calling any airport uncontrolled is in its self wrong.

You are the control at a non towered airport.

I have to go to the AIM and see how it is referred to. I dont recall the proper terminology of a tower-less airport.

Who cares as long as you understand what they mean? That is the point, isn't it?

I'm not "with you" on this one...it's nice to hear the runway number and what they are doing...anything else doesn't matter.
They should be saying the runway number they are departing from but saying "taking the active runway XX" would be incorrect because there is no active runway at an uncontrolled field.

In that case saying "N123 is departing/clearing RNWY xx" does the same thing. The words 'the active" are unnecessary and make it sound like there is someone actually deciding for me which is "the active"

Yes that does do the same thing, i was just answering his question as to whether or not there is an active runway at an uncontrolled field.

It's like when I hear people say "Cessna N12345, IFR to XYZ, clearance on request, ready to copy..."
When I call up CD, I say Cessna 12345 IFR to XYZ. Is your gripe with "clearance on request" or "ready to copy?"

Last edited:
If I'm approaching a unfamiliar field and don't have accurate winds I prefer to ask " can any traffic at KXYZ give me current advisories for landing
"

They should be saying the runway number they are departing from but saying "taking the active runway XX" would be incorrect because there is no active runway at an uncontrolled field.

In some sense there is an active runway, your going to use the one that the wind favors the best. If your landing at a N/S runway and the wind is out of the south you wouldnt use the north runway, so technically speaking the S runway would be the active.

As long as they put the active runway back where they found it...:dunno:

I have to go to the AIM and see how it is referred to. I dont recall the proper terminology of a tower-less airport.
I don't believe there is anything in the AIM about proper terminology but the FAA likes to call the airports non-towered airports.

Whether it's right or wrong I don't know, but after taxiing clear I say, "N1234 is clear of all runways."

In some sense there is an active runway, your going to use the one that the wind favors the best. If your landing at a N/S runway and the wind is out of the south you wouldnt use the north runway, so technically speaking the S runway would be the active.
Or you can have winds right down the middle of two runways and either runway can be suitable for landing.

Just one of those small pet peeves about terminology. Don't let it get to you. You aren't gonna change the whole flying community. It's like when I hear people say "Cessna N12345, IFR to XYZ, clearance on request, ready to copy..." I cant help but grit my teeth.
For that one I say, "Cessna N12345, IFR to XYZ " and nothing else. You wouldn't be calling them if you weren't ready to copy. :D

But then I don't get annoyed about what other people say either. :dunno:

OK, I'll bite...is it the "on request", "ready to copy"...or both.

With ATC in my area from my uncontrolled field I learned to add the "ready to copy" to my initial call up

"Nor Cal, Skylane 123AB on the ground in Watsonville, IFR to XYZ, ready to copy"

Response is usually a "standby"

Then they blurt out the clearance.

Otherwise it is a whole nother conversation back and forth to check and see if I am ready to copy tying up radio time.

I personally have a problem with both. I have heard ATC say clearance on request to let me know that he knows I want my clearance, but he doesn't have it yet. Why a pilot would need to say it is beyond me. As for ready to copy...If I wasn't ready to copy, I wouldn't be calling for clearance.

When I call up CD, I say Cessna 12345 IFR to XYZ.

That's exactly what I do

If I'm approaching a unfamiliar field and don't have accurate winds I prefer to ask " can any traffic at KXYZ give me current advisories for landing
"

I either do that or call up the Unicom if they're open

"N12345 Is taking/clear of the ACTIVE (followed by rnwy #)" ?.
Because that's what they hear others say.

Is there really an active runway when it's uncontrolled?
Not really. It's only the "active runway" when the controlling agency designates it so. One might say that the "active runway" at a nontowered airport is whatever runway any particular pilot chooses to use, but unlike at a tower controlled airport, that doesn't oblige anyone else to use the same runway. So, at a nontowered airport, the best thing to do is specify the exact runway you're using or crossing or clearing, because the runway you are using may not be the runway the other pilot is using.

For example, when I'm going to lunch at Georgetown DE (KGED), and the wind is 300 at 15G25, I'm landing my Tiger on the 3100x75 Runway 28. However, that Learjet coming in is most definitely going to be on the 5500x150 Runway 22. So we just say "active", not specifically which runway we're talking about, someone's going to be looking in the wrong place for someone else.

Last edited:
Yep. Same thing goes for "with you." The controller obviously knows your with him because you are talking on his frequency.

but, but, but, the controller is waiting anxiously for the call because the whole world depends entirely on that particular pilot at that particular moment!!!!!

Not exactly wrong. But if they were landing 5 for the ILS with a 4 kt tailwind and you wanted to come in the other direction to fly at the head wind you can do that. Then technically they are both active. Therefore there isn't a THE active.

I see you're a student. Please, I implore you, don't be part of the problem. This stupid pedantic nonsense is exactly what likely turns people off from becoming pilots, or tips them over the edge to quit. The pilot community is way too anal, over the top goofy about crap like this.

Who gives a damn what people say on the radio. I'm just glad they're talking.

You do realize that nobody has to say anything, right? People talking and giving position reports is a good thing IMO. When people are in the pattern and calling out runway 23 as "active" and you're insistent on landing runway 5 with a tailwind, you do know they say off air to themselves, "Azzhole!"

I say "active". I do so, so that people approaching the airport can get an idea what runway most people are using and/or setting up for.

At a non tower airport it is: "runway in use"

I see you're a student. Please, I implore you, don't be part of the problem. This stupid pedantic nonsense is exactly what likely turns people off from becoming pilots, or tips them over the edge to quit. The pilot community is way too anal, over the top goofy about crap like this.
No kidding...

They should have just said "clear of runway (state number)"

What is proper?

I use...

"Just departed Tango Tango Alpha, leaving 2000, IFR to Allen County, identifier Alpha Oscar Hotel, Clearance on Request"

Last edited:
As for ready to copy...If I wasn't ready to copy, I wouldn't be calling for clearance.

You know, it's been a good while for me, but I remember back when I was picking up IFR clearances, if you just called up clearance and simply identified yourself, they would respond by saying something like "Advise when ready to copy." By including this info in your initial call up, you would avoid unnecessary blah, blah, blah. Maybe things are different now. :dunno:

You know, it's been a good while for me, but I remember back when I was picking up IFR clearances, if you just called up clearance and simply identified yourself, they would respond by saying something like "Advise when ready to copy." By including this info in your initial call up, you would avoid unnecessary blah, blah, blah. Maybe things are different now. :dunno:
When I call up for an IFR clearance I say, "Republic Ground, Cessna 12345 IFR to XXX" Ground responds, "Cessna 12345 you are cleared to the XXX airport via...." They already know I'm ready to copy because I called them up and said I'm IFR to XXX otherwise I wouldn't have called them up if I wasn't ready yet.

Last edited:
I say "active". I do so, so that people approaching the airport can get an idea what runway most people are using and/or setting up for.
Then you're part of the problem, not the solution. Using the term "active" instead of the runway number is pointless and doesn't communicate your intentions. You might as well not say what airport you're at and let everyone guess that, too. We're not mind readers, we're not equipped with a God's eye view of every plane out there. If you're setting up for Runway 4, just say so. The extra syllable really is worth the effort in order to effectively communicate where you are and what you're doing.

What is proper?

I use...

"Just departed Tango Tango Alpha, leaving 2000, IFR to Allen County, identifier Alpha Oscar Hotel, Clearance on Request"
I say, "Cessna 1234 off XYC climbing through 2000', like to pick up my IFR clearance to ABC." "Clearance on request" would be the phrase the controller sometimes says back to you. I'm guessing that is what bothers one of the other posters in thread.

Back