Why do Cirrus drivers get such disrespect?

Insane

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Insane
I fly an SR20 fairly regularly (it belongs to a friend) and I sometimes feel some negative vibes from other pilots when I discuss it like I am somehow inferior. I've even caught someone rolling their eyes at me. I've had many sarcastic remarks sent my way. Why is there such a disrespect for us? Is it the chute? The fixed gear? The glass panel?

I fly an SR20 fairly regularly (it belongs to a friend) and I sometimes feel some negative vibes from other pilots when I discuss it like I am somehow inferior. I've even caught someone rolling their eyes at me. I've had many sarcastic remarks sent my way. Why is there such a disrespect for us? Is it the chute? The fixed gear? The glass panel?

It's the unaffordability for the unwashed masses of pilots that can't afford 2 hours a month in a beat up 172. There's a few other issues issues such as some people believe that if they buy a Cirrus, they don't have to learn as much because they have the technology to save them, but mostly it's money envy. Personally I like the chute and the glass, but wish they had made it a retract and would put bladders in the fuel tanks.

I love the cirrus and have been lucky enough to fly a new SR22T just a few months ago. I wont say that I necessarily had bad vibes from others, but with the sleek looks and insurmountable amount of technology on board, I did feel a lot cooler than them. Kinda like being in that shiny new corvette next to the kid in the modified kia. Prob like Henning is saying and has a lot to do with envy and jealousy.

It's the same attitude you would see a hundred-odd years ago, when pilots disdained those who put seat belts in their airplanes. Real pilots didn't need them....

Ron Wanttaja

It's the same attitude you would see a hundred-odd years ago, when pilots disdained those who put seat belts in their airplanes. Real pilots didn't need them....

Ron Wanttaja

And so goes the tail wheel.

Don't know that I necessarily agree with Henning's assertion but he might be right about the majority of pilots. I personally have had known and met a lot of Cirrus pilots, some are highly skilled pilots but the majority that I have met are folks who get into a plane as a toy and are not very respecting of the task they are taking on or knowledgeable.

One recent example is while I am taxing to take off I am #2 behind a Cirrus, who doesn't know about run up areas and decides to do a runup on the taxiway while I am #2 right behind him. I then get onto the side and the tour clears me around him. He then asks why I did that. The tour informs him about a runup area. He was all very nice and what not but that is critical knowledge in my opinion and I was quite shocked he didn't know about it.

Keep in mind this is only my opinion and from my experiences.

I think RV guys get more grief than Cirrus owners, though for different reasons.

I don't give much respect to anyone who punches the A/P button at 500' and 500'. Having a chute just detracts even more.

Some goes with people who can't drive a manual transmission.

Don't know that I necessarily agree with Henning's assertion but he might be right about the majority of pilots. I personally have had known and met a lot of Cirrus pilots, some are highly skilled pilots but the majority that I have met are folks who get into a plane as a toy and are not very respecting of the task they are taking on or knowledgeable.

One recent example is while I am taxing to take off I am #2 behind a Cirrus, who doesn't know about run up areas and decides to do a runup on the taxiway while I am #2 right behind him. I then get onto the side and the tour clears me around him. He then asks why I did that. The tour informs him about a runup area. He was all very nice and what not but that is critical knowledge in my opinion and I was quite shocked he didn't know about it.

Keep in mind this is only my opinion and from my experiences.

That speaks more to the level of instruction received than the pilot himself. It's not like boats where you just buy it and go, you still need instruction even in a Cirrus with the "save me" button.

That speaks more to the level of instruction received than the pilot himself. It's not like boats where you just buy it and go, you still need instruction even in a Cirrus with the "save me" button.

Agree. I suppose I associate poor levels of instruction with Cirrus pilots.

I have no problems with Cirrus pilots. If they can afford it, why not? I personally would never spend that much on a plane/training. At Nassau Flyers here at FRG the SR20's go for $239/hr standard rate, $219 club rate. The SR22 FIKI's go for $359/hr standard, $329 club rate. The Cirrus's here are booked a lot and there is an obvious clientele for them. I spent about $325 in 2 hours in an Arrow yesterday which is still cheaper than an hour in the SR22. More power to the pilot if he can afford, but I know I would never spend that much

I think people tend to classify Cirrus pilots similar to how rich doctor Bonanza pilots used to be classified. Not that the plane itself is inferior, but rather the class of people that tend to buy them are perceived as being inferior or inexperienced pilots, with more money than time to develop flying skills and good judgment.

I'm not saying that's the case, I just think it's the general perception.

Prolly similar to what one gets when they crow about their Univ of Phoenix degree in business Management.

I think the OP has hit on the majority of the cases. Cost, chute, fixed gear, glass panel. Despite all the money spent, their dispatch reliability isn't light years ahead of any other GA plane. Propose, or theoretical safety enhancements have not lived up to the hype either.

Having said that, I would like to fly a Cirrus, but in the same category, I'd prolly opt to buy a top of line Mooney or Columbia.

Having said that, I would like to fly a Cirrus, but in the same category, I'd prolly opt to buy a top of line Mooney or Columbia.

For new Cirrus money I'd opt for a nice used Baron or similar.

I didn't notice it when I owned my SR 20. But, then again, my flying buddy owned a RV-10 :) So who was hated more, I'm not sure :D But, I would not own another 4 seater that is not a cirrus. I personally find it to be the best flying 4 seater out their, given my requirements. (speed / comfort / load capability)

I don't think that attitude is limited to just Cirrus. Most pilots have their favorite airplane and will tell you why any other airplane isn't quite as good.

I have found that attitude with every airplane that I have owned and they have ALL been good airplanes.

Abram Finkelstein

For new Cirrus money I'd opt for a nice used Baron or similar.

Yabut, he's in a SR20. Not new. I guess a Baron or maybe my fave the Aerostar would be on the menu. Gobs more op-ex though...

I used to strongly dislike Cirrus. Now I feel pretty meh about them. They're a sweet plane if you can afford them.

I used to strongly dislike Cirrus. Now I feel pretty meh about them. They're a sweet plane if you can afford them.

Yeah, I've never "disliked" them. Like Henning I wish they had retractable gear, plus I don't really care for the side stick, I prefer a center stick. I mean I know why they did it and I could live with it.

Yeah, I've never "disliked" them. Like Henning I wish they had retractable gear, plus I don't really care for the side stick, I prefer a center stick. I mean I know why they did it and I could live with it.

It'd be a lot easier to get a sky BJ the way the Cirrus controls are layed out.

I prefer the side yoke versus the center stick on the diamond or RV or the center yoke in most other planes. It freed up my lap for the ipad, or a note book, or whatever! I especially like it for the passenger. The center stick is very easy to bump for the passenger. Where as the side yoke leaves the passenger less likely to touch the controls. Also, the space up front in the Cirrus is second to none! And 2 doors is great. Again, this is all subjective and all in my opinion!

It'd be a lot easier to get a sky BJ the way the Cirrus controls are layed out.

I prefer the side yoke versus the center stick on the diamond or RV or the center yoke in most other planes. It freed up my lap for the ipad, or a note book, or whatever! I especially like it for the passenger. The center stick is very easy to bump for the passenger. Where as the side yoke leaves the passenger less likely to touch the controls. Also, the space up front in the Cirrus is second to none! And 2 doors is great. Again, this is all subjective and all in my opinion!

Like I said, I understand why they did it.

I have no problems with Cirrus pilots. If they can afford it, why not? I personally would never spend that much on a plane/training. At Nassau Flyers here at FRG the SR20's go for $239/hr standard rate, $219 club rate. The SR22 FIKI's go for $359/hr standard, $329 club rate. The Cirrus's here are booked a lot and there is an obvious clientele for them. I spent about $325 in 2 hours in an Arrow yesterday which is still cheaper than an hour in the SR22. More power to the pilot if he can afford, but I know I would never spend that much

I know apples to oranges and all but you can rent a stearman here with an instructor for less than a FIKI SR22. I know what I would pick . :D

Cirri are getting to the range of affordability for the average GA

G2 SR20's are in the 150K range.

They do about 145kts on 9GPH. Probably cost the same to operate as an M20J which our club rents for $160/hr...

Assuming the chute repack and added cost of the 6cyl are offset by not being a mooney (tight spaces, fuel tank reseal every 10 yrs) and not having retractable gear.

If I had the money to buy a new Cirrus, I wouldn't. Not because I dislike the Cirrus, but because there are other makes and models - new & used - at that price point that I like much better.

When it comes to Cirrus pilots, they are exactly like the pilots you find in every other aircraft - you'll find good ones and bad ones.

People will always argue which is better - skill and experience or technology. The only issue I have with the parachute, "save me" button and all of the other neat stuff, is that like a moth to a flame, they seem to draw the less competent in. It sure seems that they allow some pilots to rationalize some foolish things and bite off more than they can chew.

Money might be able to buy a new Cirrus with all of the whistles and bells, but you can't buy experience and good judgement. The Cirrus is a serious piece of transportation and demands a serious approach to the way it is used. From the accident record, not all Cirrus pilots take that approach.

Just go with a boat? Odd - I took lessons when I got into a partnership with two sail boats (19 ft cat and 12 ft putter-arounder). And we never got into open water, these were only for large lakes.

Side stick makes taking a pee a lot easier...

I think people tend to classify Cirrus pilots similar to how rich doctor Bonanza pilots used to be classified. Not that the plane itself is inferior, but rather the class of people that tend to buy them are perceived as being inferior or inexperienced pilots, with more money than time to develop flying skills and good judgment.

I'm not saying that's the case, I just think it's the general perception.
Perception is everything, unfortunately. Student pilot at the airport here bought an SR20, never finished the private. Another example of too much money and not enough common sense. I'm really happy with the 45 yr old cherokee.

Just go with a boat? Odd - I took lessons when I got into a partnership with two sail boats (19 ft cat and 12 ft putter-arounder). And we never got into open water, these were only for large lakes.

You're a rarity. My first sailboat was a Catalina 27 and I learned to sail on the sea trial.

Prolly similar to what one gets when they crow about their Univ of Phoenix degree in business Management.
or PhD in Computer Science (*wince*)

Mooney, definitely.

Perhaps the disrespect comes from the fact that many of us evaluated the performance of the Cirrus and decided that we get more for less from other aircraft. Cirrus has improved some things like the chute repack cost but they haven't fixed the useful load. Why pay so much for so little? Even if you're just renting you're paying double...

You're a rarity. My first sailboat was a Catalina 27 and I learned to sail on the sea trial.

Nope, I'm stupid and ignorant about far too many things. Don't think I'll ever be smart but I do hope for less stupid.

Cirri are getting to the range of affordability for the average GA

G2 SR20's are in the 150K range.

They do about 145kts on 9GPH. Probably cost the same to operate as an M20J which our club rents for $160/hr...

Assuming the chute repack and added cost of the 6cyl are offset by not being a mooney (tight spaces, fuel tank reseal every 10 yrs) and not having retractable gear.

You can put bladders in the mooney and not worry about it for 20 years.

In my personal view it has nothing to do with the airplane, but rather an observation that, more than the average, Cirri pilots appear to be less than respectful of some aviation traditions. In my case the "last straw" was the guy with the Cirrus tied down in the row in front of us who would do long, high-rpm idle in the tiedown, sand-blasting our plane, instead of pulling out of the tiedown before starting up, like the rest of the folks would do who had planes parked behind them. Let just say that when one of our partners approached the pilot in question to query him on his "technique", the response was less than friendly or apologetic.

Jeff

Because they are the only ones that taxi passed the empty run-up pad then crank the airplane into the wind and sit there for 10 minutes at the hold short line while they do a run-up and copy an IFR cleanance. The VFR guy immediately next inline for departure is forced to sit and wait. :mad2:

No joke. I sat at his 3 O'clock, in plain view, and shut the airplane down on the taxiway waiting.

Used to search for/rescue/tow a lot of those folks when I was a Coastie.

Bob Gardner

In my personal view it has nothing to do with the airplane, but rather an observation that, more than the average, Cirri pilots appear to be less than respectful of some aviation traditions. In my case the "last straw" was the guy with the Cirrus tied down in the row in front of us who would do long, high-rpm idle in the tiedown, sand-blasting our plane, instead of pulling out of the tiedown before starting up, like the rest of the folks would do who had planes parked behind them. Let just say that when one of our partners approached the pilot in question to query him on his "technique", the response was less than friendly or apologetic.

Jeff

Sounds like a jerk

Back