Why do Cirrus drivers get such disrespect?

or PhD in Computer Science (*wince*)

Mooney, definitely.

Uh - the field of study wasn't the target of my sarcasm. (having both an MBA and a PhD).

I rode around a bit in a Columbia 400 and aside from the thirst of the engine, it was pretty sweet.

I have noticed something...when I'm at the airport I wave at everybody that taxis by. The Cirrus and Bonanza drivers never wave back. The Cirrus guys sometimes seem too good for others, not the other way around.

If somebody waves at you, WAVE BACK! :)

Because they are the only ones that taxi passed the empty run-up pad then crank the airplane into the wind and sit there for 10 minutes at the hold short line while they do a run-up and copy an IFR cleanance. The VFR guy immediately next inline for departure is forced to sit and wait. :mad2:

No joke. I sat at his 3 O'clock, in plain view, and shut the airplane down on the taxiway waiting.

CAP pilots I've seen do the same thing on numerous occasions. Once they even took an active runway to do their run-up

I have noticed something...when I'm at the airport I wave at everybody that taxis by. The Cirrus and Bonanza drivers never wave back. The Cirrus guys sometimes seem too good for others, not the other way around.

If somebody waves at you, WAVE BACK! :)

Flew out of WVI the other day and I waved at a SR22T pilot as he was taxiing in to the ramp. He never waved back...

no bad looks coming from me...pretty envious of the folks that actually own one. It's not the plane I'd personally buy with $700k, but hey whatever floats your boat. A guy a few hangars away owns a brand new SR22T. Super nice guy...bought it before he had his PPL done and is now working on his IR. People that hate are just envious, plain and simple.

That said, I've met more than a few that are just douche's in FBO's. Maybe the personality type that buys them...not much experience but a lot of money...just guessing...is what garners the general bad attention.

Last edited:
CAP pilots I've seen do the same thing on numerous occasions. Once they even took an active runway to do their run-up

They did their run up on the runway at a towered field? ;)

Very interesting responses and it confirms the reaction I get. Some of you seem bitter, resentful and maybe jealous? It is not my plane, I just borrow one so I am not offended at all. David White's comments about sky BJ's is spot on, it is a perfect plane for dating. Add that to the list of why there may be some jealous looks I get from a number of old impotent old men in their old piles of junk. No offense :D

By the way I agree for the money I'd get something else. But if I can fly it for free (well the cost of fuel), I can't complain.

Very interesting responses and it confirms the reaction I get. Some of you seem bitter, resentful and maybe jealous? It is not my plane, I just borrow one so I am not offended at all. David White's comments about sky BJ's is spot on, it is a perfect plane for dating. Add that to the list of why there may be some jealous looks I get from a number of old impotent old men in their old piles of junk. No offense :D

By the way I agree for the money I'd get something else. But if I can fly it for free (well the cost of fuel), I can't complain.

I had a friend tell me to come pick him up. He told me to "cross the fence" at 75 knots and that was my Cirrus checkout. It was a G1 SR20 w/ a 2-blades prop so it was EARLY, but I still enjoyed flying it.

I still think the light-sport planes are the best for dating. It's a lot easier to get some elbow boob action that way. Nice and snug.

I had a friend tell me to come pick him up. He told me to "cross the fence" at 75 knots and that was my Cirrus checkout. It was a G1 SR20 w/ a 2-blades prop so it was EARLY, but I still enjoyed flying it.

I still think the light-sport planes are the best for dating. It's a lot easier to get some elbow boob action that way. Nice and snug.

Date fatties and you can do it in real planes as well. :eek:

Date fatties and you can do it in real planes as well. :eek:

If I did date fatties I wouldn't care about impressing them enough to go for an airplane ride. That's expensive.

I only take girls flying if they are out of my league :D

Luckily, someone has added a tag to this thread

......around here they call'em "Clown Planes"...:yesnod:

If I did date fatties I wouldn't care about impressing them enough to go for an airplane ride.

A fat girl is like a moped - they can be a lot of fun but you really don't want to be seen on one...

I think that a lot of Cirrus owners are fairly new pilots, 10 years or less. It seems some folks think they haven't "paid their dues" by hand flying flying clapped out 1960's Cessnas all across the US with a single nav/comm and a leaky compass. I have 0 Cirrus time, I have buddy that has bought 2 new SR22's, he started flying 7-8 years ago. He rented a 172, then bought a share of an A36. Flew it a couple hundred hours and bought a new 2008 SR22.:D He is a very careful pilot, likes the idea of the chute, actually I think it sold him on the airplanes. He can buy pretty much whatever he wants, but he likes the size, speed and comfort of the SR22, just got a new 2013 model a few months ago. :D
I've owned a few airplanes, and a Cirrus does not fit my mission, or I would certainly look at one.
I'd say jealousy is one factor, and a lot of the Cirrus pilots aren't the old airport bums that know everybody and have flown dozens of different airplanes.:D Pilots can be a very welcoming group or a bunch of A-holes. ;)

If I did date fatties I wouldn't care about impressing them enough to go for an airplane ride. That's expensive.

I only take girls flying if they are out of my league :D

Yeah I never play my card either until I've determined there's no chance without it.

As Henning said, jealousy and oh .. they can do this....

Save #43 (3/3/14) - 5 This Year

Happened in Mexico. Not much to report, yet. He lost oil pressure. Pilot uninjured. N1645S - 2000 SR20

Attachments

• cirrus%20crash.jpg
    cirrus%20crash.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 86
Well...

I can afford to fly one, and even buy one. But I won't even set foot into one any time soon, because I don't feel qualified to do so with my 250 hours or so.

The reasons? I have read a lot of reports related to Cirrus accidents and anecdotes, and it seems to me like it suffers from two major issues: (1) it is a very unforgiving platform (from all I can tell, because it is designed for performance); and (2) it seems to attract people of a certain entitled and dangerous mindset. The first one is why I don't want to fly one; I make mistakes, and I want a forgiving platform with a wide flying envelope that will let me recover easily when I screw up. Maybe when I get better I'll try it.

As for the latter issue, I know a couple of folks who own one and they fit it well, and in the case of one of them, I am betting he kills himself in his plane before long. I'm not the only one btw, he kept switching instructors while getting his license because he likes to "do things his own way", and eventually got through his checkride on the fourth attempt, with the examiner admitting (to my instructor and one other, both of whom had worked with the guy) in a private conversation that he didn't have the heart to fail him again. This was relayed to me in a club meeting when we talked about him.

Oh, did I mention he's a charming, kind, super-nice super-smart guy? you'd love this guy as your buddy. I swear you can't pay me enough to put me in the right seat with him. The same opinion was voiced in various local conversations by every single instructor how had admitted to having worked with him, including my own instructor who let him move on after three lessons due to massive issues with authority.

He has since then banged up at least one C182, prop strike on landing, and gotten ejected from my flying club as a result, then bought himself a Cirrus. He flies into know bad weather trusting the AP and all the electronic gizmos to get him through - regularly - and will readily admit it in conversation.

Nobody will report him because he's such a nice guy. He just has "more money than sense". Mark my words, he'll be introduced to the side of a mountain before long.

This attitude to a much lesser extreme is shared by the other Cirrus owner I know, and seems to be a common feature from stories I read online. It's a generalization for sure, but cliches come from somewhere, they don't just get invented.

Uh - the field of study wasn't the target of my sarcasm. (having both an MBA and a PhD).

I rode around a bit in a Columbia 400 and aside from the thirst of the engine, it was pretty sweet.
I wasn't either....but the "quality" of the PhD from UofPhx....

Used to search for/rescue/tow a lot of those folks when I was a Coastie.

Bob Gardner

Since the coast guard quit doing non Mayday rescues or any small boat towing, I've made a reasonable living off of them as well.

Well...

I can afford to fly one, and even buy one. But I won't even set foot into one any time soon, because I don't feel qualified to do so with my 250 hours or so.

The reasons? I have read a lot of reports related to Cirrus accidents and anecdotes, and it seems to me like it suffers from two major issues: (1) it is a very unforgiving platform (from all I can tell, because it is designed for performance); and (2) it seems to attract people of a certain entitled and dangerous mindset. The first one is why I don't want to fly one; I make mistakes, and I want a forgiving platform with a wide flying envelope that will let me recover easily when I screw up. Maybe when I get better I'll try it.

As for the latter issue, I know a couple of folks who own one and they fit it well, and in the case of one of them, I am betting he kills himself in his plane before long. I'm not the only one btw, he kept switching instructors while getting his license because he likes to "do things his own way", and eventually got through his checkride on the fourth attempt, with the examiner admitting (to my instructor and one other, both of whom had worked with the guy) in a private conversation that he didn't have the heart to fail him again. This was relayed to me in a club meeting when we talked about him.

Oh, did I mention he's a charming, kind, super-nice super-smart guy? you'd love this guy as your buddy. I swear you can't pay me enough to put me in the right seat with him. The same opinion was voiced in various local conversations by every single instructor how had admitted to having worked with him, including my own instructor who let him move on after three lessons due to massive issues with authority.

He has since then banged up at least one C182, prop strike on landing, and gotten ejected from my flying club as a result, then bought himself a Cirrus. He flies into know bad weather trusting the AP and all the electronic gizmos to get him through - regularly - and will readily admit it in conversation.

Nobody will report him because he's such a nice guy. He just has "more money than sense". Mark my words, he'll be introduced to the side of a mountain before long.

This attitude to a much lesser extreme is shared by the other Cirrus owner I know, and seems to be a common feature from stories I read online. It's a generalization for sure, but cliches come from somewhere, they don't just get invented.

:confused: The Cirrus has to be the most forgiving platform I've flown from a design perspective. The stall is benign and controllable due to the two stage wing and is a chore to get into a spin.

You must have sensitive elbows. :D

Fat chicks need loving too! :dunno:

Boobs and elbows sharing the same point in space are not really compatible, at least not if you want to remain friends.

Maybe Cirrus pilots have a bit of a chip on the shoulder as well? I get the occasional snide look with my fork tailed doctor killer and I'm not on here whining about it. The history of my chosen ride keeps prices in check for what is a competitive product made by Cirrus.

And so goes the tail wheel.

Yeah but tail wheel pilots are literally far better pilots (on average). They deserve to look down on mere mortal nose dragger drivers like me.

In a nutshell, as someone else alluded to, the Cirrus is today's doctor killer. A lot of people with too much money but not enough time (and possibly common sense) to stay proficient buy and fly them.

The plane itself...just like the Bonanza of old...is not the problem.

Ok, so to summarize what everyone here has said:

1. The Cirrus is in fact a superior plane.
2. Some Cirrus pilots have given the brand a bad name because they act like rich douchebags looking down on others because their ride is expensive.
3. Cirrus is a great date plane.
4. Bonanza drivers tend to fly with fat chicks.
5. Many non- Cirrus pilots are just plane/plain jealous.

Thank you everyone. This has been very useful for me.

Ok, so to summarize what everyone here has said:

1. The Cirrus is in fact a superior plane.
2. Some Cirrus pilots have given the brand a bad name because they act like rich douchebags looking down on others because their ride is expensive.
3. Cirrus is a great date plane.
4. Bonanza drivers tend to fly with fat chicks.
5. Many non- Cirrus pilots are just plane/plain jealous.

Thank you everyone. This has been very useful for me.

The Cirrus is a plane, not sure I'd call it superior, it's just another tool to do a job. The reputation Cirrus planes have gotten is that they are often operated by tools.

1. Compared to a 1969 Musketeer - yes.
2. They don't act like rich douche-bags, they are simply douche-bags as represented by their lack of ability.
3. Null
4. It's hard to fit a fat chick on a Mini-bike, but whatev. At least it has nothing to with aviation.
5. Well, to start it would be envy, not jealousy, but I get your misguided meaning. Certainly there is some of that, but I find that the plane itself becomes a - well, a compensation if you will for the driver possibly lacking in other masculine areas.

(1) it is a very unforgiving platform (from all I can tell, because it is designed for performance); and (2) it seems to attract people of a certain entitled and dangerous mindset.

(1) Off base here, they are very forgiving.

(2) Couldn't have said it better myself.

They are excellent airplanes, well marketed with good speed, comfort, designed to be easy to handle with excellent safety features.

This is also their downfall. They are $$$ and not much of a pilot's airplane. This weeds out a lot of the pilots.

Last edited:
Insane,

Every plane has a mission. Cirrus is good for some things, not good for others. What type of flying you're into determine what kind of plane is "superior".

I like a relatively safe, comfortable and expedient traveling machine. BUT I also love frequenting 1200' to 1600' grass runways (even on the end of those 4 hour cross country trips).

My machine works well for both those missions (and a 180 would be better yet!).

A Cirrus would be seriously lacking for the type of flying I love most.

If I could own two planes then maybe a Cirrus and a Super Cub or Maule.

On second though, naahh, I'd have an RV-10 long before a Cirrus.

I think the Cirrus are nice. if you're getting a vibe, it may be some envy because they're sweet planes to fly in. I've flown in SR20 and 22 models myself. The other side is a bit of unwariness that many pilots feel about the negative safety aspect of Cirrus aircraft.

...5. Well, to start it would be envy, not jealousy, but I get your misguided meaning...

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who is bothered by the ubiquitous practice of mixing up those two words.

As for the Cirrus, personally, I like all airplanes to one degree or another. I also think that a pilot's skill and judgment are more important that what he/she flies.

Last edited:
I have a couple of hours in an SR-22, and I loved it. If I did a lot of long XC's I'd consider spending the money on a rental. I definitely understand their appeal, and applaude anyone that decides to get one.

That being said, for punching holes in the sky, or shorter XC's, my favorite I've flown so far is the Super Cub.:yes:

Back