Why are we going so slow?

but seriously, not all the way to FL240... with the thing limiting the power to hold gear speed...
In a climb, power will be set to the applicable climb power setting and pitch will be adjusted to hold the target airspeed.

I've never flown the Airbus but I'm confident, from Boeing experience, that the "barber pole" would show the gear limits and the autoflight would pitch to protect it.

There is no system in the A320 to keep the airplane from exceeding a gear speed.

In a climb, power will be set to the applicable climb power setting and pitch will be adjusted to hold the target airspeed.

I've never flown the Airbus but I'm confident, from Boeing experience, that the "barber pole" would show the gear limits and the autoflight would pitch to protect it.

Yeah @Kritchlow covered it above and I missed it... my snarky commentary is based on nearly everything ELSE being completely fly-by-wire on that thing, you'd think they would have limits in the computers for gear speeds along with all the other "I'll handle this" style software engineering in a 'Bus.

Follow up... its true that it's impossible to say during normal ops. As I said, the barberpole (redline) would be masked by the fact that flaps are set well before gear coming down.

One thing that may need to be clarified.. it has been suggested that the airplane "won't let it exceed flap speed (in this case gear speed)". I can assure you it WILL let this happen. Adding flaps before flap speeds will give you massive warnings and may give stick resistance to push forward, but the engines are NOT going to throttle back and the airplane will NOT pitch up to reduce speed. Yet, the flaps will extend. I suspect it's the same for the gear.
So, there is somewhat of a misthought here about the Bus.

There but for the grace... but seriously, not all the way to FL240... with the thing limiting the power to hold gear speed...

I don't know any pilots who aren't paid by the hour... you?
I'm currently paid by the acre. Have been paid a salary, hourly and daily at other full time flying jobs.

Follow up... its true that it's impossible to say during normal ops. As I said, the barberpole (redline) would be masked by the fact that flaps are set well before gear coming down.

One thing that may need to be clarified.. it has been suggested that the airplane "won't let it exceed flap speed (in this case gear speed)". I can assure you it WILL let this happen. Adding flaps before flap speeds will give you massive warnings and may give stick resistance to push forward, but the engines are NOT going to throttle back and the airplane will NOT pitch up to reduce speed. Yet, the flaps will extend. I suspect it's the same for the gear.

I certainly appreciate the clarification, even if my joking about it holding speeds was just me making fun of the level of automation usually seen in Airbus products. It's fun to learn what they actually do. Not that it'll be useful or applicable to me anytime soon, if ever. :)

Basically how it was in the US 10 years ago?
Go back a little more and PPL was good for the right seat. More than a few first officers got the magic wand of the FAA to CPL.

You're absolutely correct Kritchlow. The A320/321 will blow right through airspeed limitations, and into the red barber pole, if you don't stop it. At my co., we have a good number of flap/slat airspeed busts. Never get to the gear limitations, as you said, as the gear comes up at positive climb - around 140-150 KIAS. During approach the gear is extended when flaps are 2, or at around 170-180 KIAS, well below the 250 KIAS extension limitation.

Last edited:
You're absolutely correct Kritchlow. The A320/321 will blow right through airspeed limitations, and into the red barber pole, if you don't stop it. At my co., we have a good number of flap/slat airspeed busts. Never get to the gear limitations, as you said, as the gear comes up at positive climb - around 140-150 KIAS. During approach the gear is extended when flaps are 2, or at around 170-180 KIAS, well below the 250 KIAS extension limitation.

We just got an email that flaps will not be called for until 10 knot below flap speeds and a downward trend because of all the overspeeds recently.

Bob

I was paid a daily rate... Or, were you joking and I missed it?

It's rare. Plus there's limits on "daily rate" considering you can't fly all 24 of those hours. Everything can be boiled down to an hourly rate in any job.

It's rare. Plus there's limits on "daily rate" considering you can't fly all 24 of those hours. Everything can be boiled down to an hourly rate in any job.
It was pretty cut and dry with me. Had one guy try to take me for two calendar days but less than 24-hours. lol. Didn't fly for him very long.

Back