Why are people afraid of Class B?

It all has to do with training and familiarity, when I learned to fly in 1984, my CFI and I pretty much avoided towered airports other than the training requirements. I would fly the VFR corridors and avoid talking to anyone. It was several years before I became comfortable talking to controllers. It wasn't until I started on my IR that I got really comfortable. My son's experience is the opposite, he has flown from a towered airport since day one, he used to talk to ground controllers at FTY starting at the age of 12. He doesn't like uncontrolled fields! It is easier now with headsets and intercoms!! :D

I avoid fly-ins because they scare the hell out of me, total chaos.
Yeah I agree in a lot of ways. We had an AOPA fly-in at THA a year or two back that I knew would draw a good sized crowd.

I didn't have ADSB, so it was no bueno for me.

I remember doing some group $100 Hamburger runs and many of the pilots were VFR only and had a strong preference for untowered airports. They had trained at untowered airports and didn't work on the radio well, or at least felt uncomfortable on the radio.
My favorite version of that one was an Angel Flight I did many years ago. It was one of those 2-plan flights and we were going to meet in the Amarillo, TX area. The other pilot really, really, really wanted to use one of the nearby nontowered fields but I insisted on KAMA, mostly because it had a restaurant on the field in case we needed to wait. So we wake up the Tower, land, laxi to parking, eat lunch with a table looking out at the runway, finish lunch, when the other pilot lands. The passengers go to the restroom, decompress, as the other pilot departs. The we head home to KAPA in Denver.

If you haven't figured out the punchline by now, during that entire period, the other pilot and I were the only aircraft that took off or landed.

Now, KAMA is a particularly sleepy Class C . That's not quite the same as the Class Bs we're discussing, but it does point out that "fear" of controlled airspace can get a little silly.

Yeah I agree in a lot of ways. We had an AOPA fly-in at THA a year or two back that I knew would draw a good sized crowd.

I didn't have ADSB, so it was no bueno for me.
ADS-B only shows you the planes so equipped.

I understand that. Just like how somebody who lacks ADSB, will not recieve any planes so equipped.

I at least wanted to have ADSB -In, which I didn't have.

Last edited:
I'm 26 hrs into training at a non-towered but so far have liked talking to the controllers at the C and D spaces I've been to. I like that they give me instructions and traffic watch.
About to head to Nashville (BNA) for a class B trip in a 172.
More worried about wake turbulence than the radio lol.

I'm 26 hrs into training at a non-towered but so far have liked talking to the controllers at the C and D spaces I've been to. I like that they give me instructions and traffic watch.
About to head to Nashville (BNA) for a class B trip in a 172.
More worried about wake turbulence than the radio lol.
Nashville is a Class C just FYI.

That's funny...I asked my CFI!
Guess I should check myself lol.
Still worried about the wake turbulence though.

and thanks btw.
although I would have probably picked up on it during the flight plan, I can hear my dumbass asking for clearance and the controllers laughing.

Ive had the tower "pull stuff" on me in Class B. I used to ask for a Class B clearance across the surface area to go to a small GA airport on the edge of Class B. They once cleared me and told me to "Fly to the tower". I flew to the tower and my destination (an airport right on the edge of the Class B) was maybe 5 miles away. He turned me towards it and with ANGER in his voice crowed "THERE IT IS!" (and I mean he DRILLED it).

My reply was "Well, thank you for your time, but if you dont want me in your Class B, why did you clear me into it?"

Go figure.....

Last edited:

Yeah, not accurate. It is not a guarantee of all traffic but you will most certainly see more than just other ADS-B OUT equipped traffic.

IN will also not do ya much good with a reliable traffic picture unless you are also OUT equipped to ping the ground stations for YOUR puck of info to be broadcast.

That's funny...I asked my CFI!
Guess I should check myself lol.
Still worried about the wake turbulence though.

and thanks btw.
although I would have probably picked up on it during the flight plan, I can hear my dumbass asking for clearance and the controllers laughing.
Nashville can be fairly busy at times, but it's pretty GA friendly.

My favorite version of that one was an Angel Flight I did many years ago. It was one of those 2-plan flights and we were going to meet in the Amarillo, TX area. The other pilot really, really, really wanted to use one of the nearby nontowered fields but I insisted on KAMA, mostly because it had a restaurant on the field in case we needed to wait. So we wake up the Tower, land, laxi to parking, eat lunch with a table looking out at the runway, finish lunch, when the other pilot lands. The passengers go to the restroom, decompress, as the other pilot departs. The we head home to KAPA in Denver.

If you haven't figured out the punchline by now, during that entire period, the other pilot and I were the only aircraft that took off or landed.

Now, KAMA is a particularly sleepy Class C . That's not quite the same as the Class Bs we're discussing, but it does point out that "fear" of controlled airspace can get a little silly.

Yep.

My parents used to live in the Chattanooga area. Often I went to a small untowered airport near them, but one time the weather was not good and there were no approaches for that airport, so I flew to the main Chattanooga airport. My mother was aghast that I would fly there. I calmly pointed out that Chattanooga had far less traffic than the "small" airports I flew into in Atlanta, and was only around half of the traffic of one or two of them. Now, 737s didn't fly into those Class D airports, but they were a heck of a lot busier and there are plenty of bizjets in the mix.

I avoid the class bravo in my neighborhood because I'm rarely traveling far in it and they typically take me further off route than simply navigating outside it.

No no no. It shows you every target that ATC is picking up with a transponder. These are uplinked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you want me to make a 225nm+ trip to Dallas during Private training in a 152/172 just to check-off the "I talked to Class B approach" box?

I said "no," above. You don't need it. You would benefit from it, though.

I avoid the class bravo in my neighborhood because I'm rarely traveling far in it and they typically take me further off route than simply navigating outside it.
Then you don't need it.

I did all my initial training a decade ago at a Class C (KABE) and enjoyed every minute of it. To this day I prefer controlled fields over trusting someone to say where he is in the pattern at a busy untowered field like MGY or I19 locally.

Most of the comments seem to center around the idea that people are scared to talk on the radio, or scared of not knowing the procedure to get in or out of airspace requiring a radio. That is definitely true with some people but not the case with everyone though. I am more than capable of talking on the radio, and getting into or out of whatever airport I want or need to go to, but I'd much rather not be bothered with having to listen to the constant radio noise. It's the same reason why I like flying alone from time to time. I'd rather sit in an airplane and listen to the radio and relax rather than carry on a conversation with a passenger or controller. That means that on those flights I'm restricted to class G and class E airspace which is just fine with me, I'm not interested in going to where there are lots of other people or airplanes anyway.

I avoid class B simply because approach allways tells me to. I've never been cleared into class B, nor been cleared for the VFR corridor through it.
It has always been: "Bugmasher 1234, radar contact, ATL alt xx.xx, stay clear bravo"

I had my PPL out of a busy Class D and got very comfortable talking with the controllers. The first time I went to an un-towered field (just so happens to be the one where I now have my plane) I stumbled all over my radio calls. The only time I was nervous talking to the tower was the first time I went into a Class C (Ontario) and it was because I was afraid of making mistakes on the radio but the controllers were great. Since then I have made plenty of mistakes on the radio and I am sure I will make more but I don't worry about it. I have not flown into a Class B, not because I am afraid of it, but because I haven't needed to and don't want to pay the fees associated with it. I have flown over around and through Bravo airspace and it doesn't worry me at all, talking to them is just like talking to any other controller. (Although I have heard that there are a couple of places where the Bravo controllers aren't as helpful as others.)

As others have mentioned, I think it comes down to what you are used to and comfortable with.

I avoid class B simply because approach allways tells me to. I've never been cleared into class B, nor been cleared for the VFR corridor through it.
It has always been: "Bugmasher 1234, radar contact, ATL alt xx.xx, stay clear bravo"
I've been over the top of Hartsfield (KATL) multiple times, mostly IFR, but also VFR as well. It's a great view. Airliners coming in for a landing on one side and departing on the other side.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

They refuse admittance every time I ask. So, I just quit asking.

They refuse admittance every time I ask. So, I just quit asking.

I can't remember the last time I was denied in either NY or BOS, but ATL is kinda notorious.

I do notice that if you don't sound with it on the radio, you aren't going in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive had the tower "pull stuff" on me in Class B. I used to ask for a Class B clearance across the surface area to go to a small GA airport on the edge of Class B. They once cleared me and told me to "Fly to the tower". I flew to the tower and my destination (an airport right on the edge of the Class B) was maybe 5 miles away. He turned me towards it and crowed "THERE IT IS!" (and I mean he DRILLED it).

My reply was "Well, thank you for your time, but if you dont want me in your Class B, why did you clear me into it?"

Go figure.....
One thing that's not clear to me from your story is, what makes you think they didn't want you in their airspace?

A lot of Class B's have VFR corridors AROUND and/or UNDER them.
One thing that's not clear to me from your story is, what makes you think they didn't want you in their airspace?

His "tone of voice". Very angry, loud and unpleasant.

They did let me do a touch and go once though. Thats another story. That guy didnt want me cutting through there. Lots of pilots with irritating ATC encounters. vice versa Im sure. Most of the time ATC is great. Been a few times when they were cranky. No hard feeling guys. We pilots need you from time to time.

Last edited:
Very few Delta airspace towers have radar service.
This depends entirely on where you are. Radar service is the rule rather than the exception pretty much anywhere on the east coast, and is more common than not east of the Mississippi. I can't remember the last time I had to make a position report. I'll take controlled airspace over the chaos of "pilot controlled" whenever possible.

I live in the DC FRZ; based in it, too. But really, it's just Class B, for practical purposes. Getting out of there, or going IFR, it's just some radio calls and a smidge of "extra" stuff. But clear of the Class B, and VFR, I stop talking to anyone until the next airport.

Clearly it's not a matter of fear in my case - for others, they just like the quiet; some don't want the hassle; sometimes they can't get a word in edgewise. If nothing is pressing, some folks just go around. . .

Non of my friends are afraid of class Bravo and many of them are gyroplane pilots.
Mismanaging class Bravo radio communications or airspace is a good way to generate an enforcement action.

Also people over thinking radio communication, it's just a conversation, and just be sure to hear your N and cleared first, not rocket surgery

Flew out of SEA TAC when I moved my plane to Alaska. Overnighted and left the next morning. Thought the overnight fee was reasonable $25/night back then. When we left we taxied past a long line of jets and took off without a hold..:)

Flown all over the US and Canada, never had a problem with radio communication. Based out of a class D don't mind talking to the tower or ground.

I must admit early in my training I was very nerves talking to ATC. Practice and writing things out helped a lot.

My favorite Class B story. This was in the Denver Class B.

I was instructing, doing a student's dual night cross country. First leg was from KAPA south of Denver to KGXY, north of Denver. After leaving KGXY, we had a (simulated) engine problem and my student, after a couple of hints, said, "I want to go to D.I.A.."

So we did, ultimately asking for a stop and go on the KDEN runway. We didn't get to do the stop part due to traffic behind us. As we began the go-around, Tower asked if we still wanted a stop and go. I replied, "only if it's not a problem."

He replied, "Look out the right side. Will that work for you?" He had turned on the lights on a runway that was not being used that night!

That's a cool story.

My favorite Class B story. This was in the Denver Class B.

I was instructing, doing a student's dual night cross country. First leg was from KAPA south of Denver to KGXY, north of Denver. After leaving KGXY, we had a (simulated) engine problem and my student, after a couple of hints, said, "I want to go to D.I.A.."

So we did, ultimately asking for a stop and go on the KDEN runway. We didn't get to do the stop part due to traffic behind us. As we began the go-around, Tower asked if we still wanted a stop and go. I replied, "only if it's not a problem."

He replied, "Look out the right side. Will that work for you?" He had turned on the lights on a runway that was not being used that night!

My landing at DIA was at night. They put me on a long final from the north and told me to make best speed and brought a United Flight and the guy was right next to me (parallel runways). Me going 120knots, almost as fast as I could. Him going 130 knots, about as slow as he could. I looked at him. He looked back. I landed and the runway had MIDDLE runway lights. My tailwheel went bump bump bump on them. I did a touch and go and took off and did a low pass right by the tower horizontal glass. Thanks Guys! we waved. They looked back too!

The first time I landed at an uncontrolled field was on my XC solo. I was nervous as hell, worried about NORDO guys or just not having someone telling me what to do.

I trained at the busiest GA airports in the US, flew through the Class B all the time, and it was the uncontrolled field that scared me :cool:

Back