Why are ODPs not required in IMC?

Well I guess agree to disagree then because I believe the current system in place is fine. Comparing an IAP to an ODP are two different things and honestly, any competent pilot should be able to depart and determine if they need an ODP or not. Also, when I’m talking about required to be informed, I’m not referring to published procedures. I’m talking about ATC. There is no requirement currently. It’s left to the pilot. The author of the article states ATC “could” inform a pilot of an ODP. Could and must are two different things.

The published ODP (FAA) is only one way of getting out of the airport. The particular airport (RHP) in question actually has a whole separate ODP that my company uses for departure with far less mins than published. So there is a way of departing an airport without executing the FAA published ODP. If you want to do it, fine but I don’t believe in making it mandatory. You could have an aircraft that can’t comply wit it it due to FPNM restrictions. On the opposite end, an aircraft (jet) could easily exceed the requirements of FPNM and not need the ODP. If they’re Part 91, I say let them decide. To me, that should be a no brainer.
Another thing is pilots at their home drome, who know the terrain like they know the back off their hand, shouldn't be required to fly many miles in the opposite direction of where they are going when it is perfectly safe for them to do it another way.

“and pilot compliance is necessary to insure separation.” If seperation isn’t an issue, then the ODP shouldn’t be assigned. The IPH clarifies it further.

View attachment 103268
"ODPs 'are' not assigned" is not "ODPs 'shall' not be assigned."

Besides, , no one has established, one way or another, that the policy of always assigning an ODP for airports surrounding the AUS Class C is not for traffic management. I mentioned one near me which does it, and I understand it's done in NORCAL for several airports.

i think this is turning into an argument over a stuck.

"ODPs 'are' not assigned" is not "ODPs 'shall' not be assigned."

Besides, , no one has established, one way or another, that the policy of always assigning an ODP for airports surrounding the AUS Class C is not for traffic management. I mentioned one near me which does it, and I understand it's done in NORCAL for several airports.

i think this is turning into an argument over a stuck.

??? They are assigned by ATC if separation is required. I’ve listed references backing up my claim. Not sure where you’re going with this. The IPH reference is quite clear in this matter. If the facilities you mention are assigning it on a whim, then they’re in violation of the .65.

I never said AUS doesn’t always assign it for traffic either. That might very well be the case. But if they are assigning it out of habit that would be against the .65 directive. It doesn’t say assign an ODP because you feel it’s in the pilot’s best interest. It’s says it’s assigned if separation (aircraft) is necessary.

Last edited:
Let’s stop beating around the bush here and get back to the crux of the article. Should pilots be REQUIRED to be informed that an ODP exists for their departure field? Should ALL pilots be forced to comply with an ODP regardless of separation or type operation (Part 91)?
Some ODPs have requirements that are appropriate for big, fast aircraft, but unnecessary for, and beyond the capability of, little slow ones. I'm thinking of the climb gradient specified for Tahoe's Runway 36 departure. For a slow mover over a lake that big, finding a way to avoid hitting anything is not that hard. The time I did it, I just used the localizer for guidance and made sure that I avoided the side of the localizer course that was nearest the rocks.

Last edited:
Some ODPs have requirements that are appropriate for big, fast aircraft, but unnecessary for, and beyond the capability of, little slow ones. I'm thinking of the climb gradient specified for Tahoe's Runway 36 departure. For a slow mover over a lake that big, finding a way to avoid hitting anything is not that hard. The time I did it, I just used the localizer for guidance and made sure that I avoided the side of the localizer course that was nearest the rocks.
Look at the top altitude for the climb gradient requirement. It’s about getting to the lake, not climbing over it.

the difference is probably that the big, fast aircraft use more of the runway, and runway not used can be turned into distance to obstructions, reducing the climb gradient requirements.

Look at the top altitude for the climb gradient requirement. It’s about getting to the lake, not climbing over it.

the difference is probably that the big, fast aircraft use more of the runway, and runway not used can be turned into distance to obstructions, reducing the climb gradient requirements.
Now that I look at it closer, it looks like the high climb gradient requirement only applies when the weather is lower than 300-1 3/8, so I take it back. That's not particularly onerous, IMO.

??? They are assigned by ATC if separation is required. I’ve listed references backing up my claim. Not sure where you’re going with this. The IPH reference is quite clear in this matter. If the facilities you mention are assigning it on a whim, then they’re in violation of the .65.

I never said AUS doesn’t always assign it for traffic either. That might very well be the case. But if they are assigning it out of habit that would be against the .65 directive. It doesn’t say assign an ODP because you feel it’s in the pilot’s best interest. It’s says it’s assigned if separation (aircraft) is necessary.
That "...'absolutely' necessary..." in the IPH reference seems a little extreme and is not necessarily consistent with ATC rules. Guess it would depend on what 'absolutely' means to you. I don't think that routinely issuing the ODP even though there isn't some traffic, right there, right now, is a bad thing. Doing it because there is likely to be some traffic there soon, even though it's not yet under that facilities control can be valid. In some busy areas, after releasing an airplane without specific Departure Instructions and allowing the pilot do a 'roll your own', by the time he's airborne it can be very likely there will be traffic that has to be jerked around to avoid that departure. Case in point in an area you would be familiar with. Ramona KRNM. There could be no traffic around there when the plane was released, but there could be soon comin' on in to Miramar. Probably not good to have a plane off Ramona hunting and pecking around on his own. Interesting thing about Ramona. Many years ago it was one of only two airports in the Country that had an ODP even though it didn't have an Instrument Approach. They were called IFR Departure Procedures then. I'd bet they issued the procedure every time regardless of what the traffic was 'right there, right now.'

They are assigned by ATC if separation is required. I’ve listed references backing up my claim. Not sure where you’re going with this. The IPH reference is quite clear in this matter. If the facilities you mention are assigning it on a whim, then they’re in violation of the .65.

That "...'absolutely' necessary..." in the IPH reference seems a little extreme and is not necessarily consistent with ATC rules. Guess it would depend on what 'absolutely' means to you. I don't think that routinely issuing the ODP even though there isn't some traffic, right there, right now, is a bad thing. Doing it because there is likely to be some traffic there soon, even though it's not yet under that facilities control can be valid. '
Thank you for the answer, @luvflyin

I guess I'm just not an extremist. "For traffic" is a pretty fluid term to me too. The ones I know or have hear about about where ODPs are regularly given as part of the clearance involve airports in generally busy areas. The ODP routing is probably being used like a SID - a shorthand for a route clearance. In one case it's a graphic ODP that looks more like a SID than an ODP anyway. And, of course, even if one wants to be extreme and carry a sign saying, "thou shalt not assign ODP!" nothing would prevent ATC from assigning that route without mentioning the verboten three letters.

The discussion started about whether there was some national standard to prompt ODP use (there is not) but seem to have devolved into something similar to the old "No SID, no STAR" in the comments area silliness.

Thank you for the answer, @luvflyin

I guess I'm just not an extremist. "For traffic" is a pretty fluid term to me too. The ones I know or have hear about about where ODPs are regularly given as part of the clearance involve airports in generally busy areas. The ODP routing is probably being used like a SID - a shorthand for a route clearance. In one case it's a graphic ODP that looks more like a SID than an ODP anyway. And, of course, even if one wants to be extreme and carry a sign saying, "thou shalt not assign ODP!" nothing would prevent ATC from assigning that route without mentioning the verboten three letters.

The discussion started about whether there was some national standard to prompt ODP use (there is not) but seem to have devolved into something similar to the old "No SID, no STAR" in the comments area silliness.
I wouldn't necessarily say devolved. It's expanded out to other, but very definitely related to departure clearance things. Ah, the ol' tell em ya ain't got SIDS thang. Yup, say that and you won't have to worry about being assigned a SID. But ya better have your pencil out, sharpened and some space on a piece of paper(yeah, yeah, it's all EFBy IPADy don't need no stinkin pencil nowadays) because you may be copying a pretty long departure clearance. We've been talking about where to find ODP's and how tedious it can be searching for them in the TPP. There's another thing you see sometimes when you finally find it. Let's talk about that easiest of all departure. Fly Heading. What could be simpler. Well, you can't always just do it. You may not be able to climb fast enough to accept a 'fly heading' instruction. Along with takeoff minimums, departure procedure and obstacle notes, there sometimes is Diverse Vector Area. Here's one.

DIVERSE VECTOR AREA (RADAR VECTORS)
AMDT 1 26MAY16 (16147) (FAA)
Rwy 7, heading as assigned by ATC; requires minimum climb of 270’ per NM to 1100.
Rwy 15L/R, heading as assigned by ATC.
Rwy 25, heading as assigned by ATC; requires minimum climb of 500’ per NM to 4600.

And no, ATC ain't gonna ask you if you can meet the climb requirement. They're just gonna say fly heading. You are supposed to already know if you can. If you can't, it's your responsibility to refuse the Clearance.

That "...'absolutely' necessary..." in the IPH reference seems a little extreme and is not necessarily consistent with ATC rules. Guess it would depend on what 'absolutely' means to you. I don't think that routinely issuing the ODP even though there isn't some traffic, right there, right now, is a bad thing. Doing it because there is likely to be some traffic there soon, even though it's not yet under that facilities control can be valid. In some busy areas, after releasing an airplane without specific Departure Instructions and allowing the pilot do a 'roll your own', by the time he's airborne it can be very likely there will be traffic that has to be jerked around to avoid that departure. Case in point in an area you would be familiar with. Ramona KRNM. There could be no traffic around there when the plane was released, but there could be soon comin' on in to Miramar. Probably not good to have a plane off Ramona hunting and pecking around on his own. Interesting thing about Ramona. Many years ago it was one of only two airports in the Country that had an ODP even though it didn't have an Instrument Approach. They were called IFR Departure Procedures then. I'd bet they issued the procedure every time regardless of what the traffic was 'right there, right now.'

Well it doesn’t matter what you or I believe should be done, that’s the way the .65 is worded and is reflected in the IPH. Doesn’t have to say “shall” in the .65. It’s a straight forward directive “include” with the only reason (separation) to include an ODP in the clearance.

If it’s IFR traffic that’s overhead, you and I both know there’s plenty of heads up prior to release of a departure to know if you need to assign an ODP or not. If the airspace is that busy, which sounds like AUS is, then by all means assign one every time for traffic.

The problem of ODPs getting assigned out of habit because that’s the norm for a facility, is that it takes away the point of an ODP being optional in the first place. I’m sure at some point in the future the FAA will mandate them for all ops but for the time being, “unless absolutely necessary” they should be optional for Part 91. That mentality of out of habit also erodes at the controllers ability to decern what’s policy and what isn’t. They become parrots. Like assigning “when entering controlled airspace, fly heading…” Does the controller actual need it or is it out of habit. If it’s not needed or “necessary” then don’t issue it.

If the airspace is that busy, which sounds like AUS is, then by all means assign one every time for traffic.
I wouldn't mind if AUS had a policy of assigned the ODP to every departure. At least assigning the ODP is an established procedure. My objection is to a policy of reminding the pilot of the ODP prior to issuing their IFR clearance. That isn't an established procedure and is not routinely done at other facilities.

I wouldn't mind if AUS had a policy of assigned the ODP to every departure. At least assigning the ODP is an established procedure. My objection is to a policy of reminding the pilot of the ODP prior to issuing their IFR clearance. That isn't an established procedure and is not routinely done at other facilities.
I do think the process/verbiage has evolved somewhat over the 11+ years I’ve been flying out of here, and I just know what to anticipate hearing and doing regardless of the exact wording, good or bad.

I called AUS and spoke to a front-line controller (one who would issue the clearance and release if I actually called in) yesterday and asked what I would hear if I got a clearance and release. She said I’d get the clearance and then, for the release, she’d say “depart per the 3R9 departure procedure then, when able, fly heading…”. When asked why they do that - if it was per an ATC-published policy or procedure, she said she wasn’t actually sure but that they didn’t routinely add ODPs like that at her prior locations. I told her I was asking because of this thread and commented about how that wasn’t required or the norm and she more or less shrugged and said they think it adds to pilot safety. My sense is it’s pretty standardized for them, regardless of my recollection. I’m just the messenger here…

In reality, our ODP is so simple it would be almost as easy for them to say with every release “fly runway heading until 1,700 then fly heading…” and nobody would bat an eye. And around here we don’t get reliable two-way reception till at least 1,800 or so.

Just passing this along.

I’ll take your concern about coming to believe this is the norm and that I’ll come to rely on it under advisement. After this thread, I will definitely be thinking of ODPs more, although I always have, for day-before trip planning (and have printed them out). The “change” will be to really remember in situations like this mishap: I divert to an unplanned field. I, of course, always review the IAPs for that as soon as I’ve made the decision to divert there but must admit checking the ODPs and other obstacle info for the departure MAY not be getting checked as often as I think it is.

Well it doesn’t matter what you or I believe should be done, that’s the way the .65 is worded and is reflected in the IPH. Doesn’t have to say “shall” in the .65. It’s a straight forward directive “include” with the only reason (separation) to include an ODP in the clearance.

If it’s IFR traffic that’s overhead, you and I both know there’s plenty of heads up prior to release of a departure to know if you need to assign an ODP or not. If the airspace is that busy, which sounds like AUS is, then by all means assign one every time for traffic.

The problem of ODPs getting assigned out of habit because that’s the norm for a facility, is that it takes away the point of an ODP being optional in the first place. I’m sure at some point in the future the FAA will mandate them for all ops but for the time being, “unless absolutely necessary” they should be optional for Part 91. That mentality of out of habit also erodes at the controllers ability to decern what’s policy and what isn’t. They become parrots. Like assigning “when entering controlled airspace, fly heading…” Does the controller actual need it or is it out of habit. If it’s not needed or “necessary” then don’t issue it.
Yeah. Point I was making is when there isn't traffic overhead but because of the nature of the 'busy' airspace, it's likely there will be by the time the departure gets in the air. And you addressed that with what you said about AUS. It can apply to departures off adjacent airports also that could conflict. Like, well, no ones rolling off that airport now, but there's likely to be soon, so just give the guys off the satellite airport the ODP and be done with it.
About the wordings in the 7110.65, the IFH and the AIM. The 7110.65 says "where an obstacle departure procedure (ODP) has been published for a location and pilot compliance is necessary to ensure separation, include the procedure as part of the ATC clearance." It say's nothing about already airborne other traffic or qualify it in anyway. Just says to ensure separation. And it does not say 'never do it for any other reason.' I'm not saying there are other reasons, just dissecting the 'wordings.' What the AIM says about it is "...As a general rule, ATC will only assign an ODP from a non−towered airport when compliance with the ODP is necessary for aircraft to aircraft separation..." Then there is the IPH. "ODPs are not assigned by ATC unless absolutely necessary to achieve aircraft separation." That 'absolutely' I think is kinda extreme. It could imply to some pilots, that if they've been given an ODP and they don't see or hear other traffic around, that ATC must have effed up and are just jerking them around by forcing them to fly the ODP. I think the writers of the IPH and the AIM should maybe get together and get consistent with how they say things.

About the Controllers who do things by 'rote' without understanding the 'whys' and the 'intents' of the rules, I couldn't agree with you more. When things start going sideways they often make poor decisions about what to do with what is going wrong. Sometimes just kinda freeze up. Same thing for pilots. Understanding the reasons for certain rules makes it easier to make safe decisions when things start going sideways and not get caught like a deer in the headlights of the above mentioned 'rote' controller.

I fly out of KVGT, the ODP is ALWAYS part of the clearance, even at 3am when I was the only plane airborne is the Las Vegas area, the clearance was still the ODP which takes me several miles in the opposite direction to my route of flight. Here, it has effectively become a SID..

I fly out of KVGT, the ODP is ALWAYS part of the clearance, even at 3am when I was the only plane airborne is the Las Vegas area, the clearance was still the ODP which takes me several miles in the opposite direction to my route of flight. Here, it has effectively become a SID..
From what I've seen, that seems to be common in NORCAL also, especially in the SFO-SJC-OAK area. That's probably true in other busy areas too. In addition to the one north of CLT I know of, I've received the KONZ ODP as part of my clearance from Detroit TRACON. I don't know if that one is all the time or not. I suspect it is since it didn't even apply to me :)

From what I've seen, that seems to be common in NORCAL also, especially in the SFO-SJC-OAK area....
The Palo Alto ODP takes you straight to San Jose International Airport, which is probably why they never assign it.

The Palo Alto ODP takes you straight to San Jose International Airport, which is probably why they never assign it.
There's a CFI in the area who did a video for his students on copying clearances. It included assignment of this ODP. Maybe he made it up or maybe it was to get you to go away from SFO before vectors. The destination was northbound. Dunno since I don't fly in that area. You do.

Another thing is pilots at their home drome, who know the terrain like they know the back off their hand, shouldn't be required to fly many miles in the opposite direction of where they are going when it is perfectly safe for them to do it another way.
Well, reasonable, but how would ATC know who's who? I fly fairly often and, the way the controllers speak to me, they don't realize 3R9 is my home field (they're absolutely polite but, for example, they always ask me if I need the phone number to cancel on the ground; the number I called to pick up the clearance earlier). Plus there are many pilots based here who are rusty IFR flyers at best, so if AUS was to base it on where the plane is based, even that wouldn't help.

It seems the only practical way for such pilots to avoid a prolonged ODP is to ask if they can shorten or bypass it. Honest question: is that permissible when picking it up on the ground? I imagine I could ask for an amended clearance and the clearance per se could be amended while I wait on the phone but, if it happens as it does here, by being part of the release rather than the clearance, can I ask for the release to be amended? I've never done that and never thought about that as an option. I suppose I could depart VFR and pick up the clearance in the air but we've already noted that scraps the ODP anyway, plus it requires VMC.

There's a CFI in the area who did a video for his students on copying clearances. It included assignment of this ODP. Maybe he made it up or maybe it was to get you to go away from SFO before vectors. The destination was northbound. Dunno since I don't fly in that area. You do.
In 30 years of being based at PAO, I've heard a lot of IFR departure clearances on Palo Alto Ground, and every one of them has been to fly heading 060 for radar vectors.

3R9 is my home field
I don't think I saw that before (not saying it wasn't mentioned; it's me, not you). Based on location and the simple ODP, I'm going to take a wild guess. They want you to climb runway heading to 1700 before turning so they have time to positively identify you before you turn on course. It's for traffic management.

Well, reasonable, but how would ATC know who's who? I fly fairly often and, the way the controllers speak to me, they don't realize 3R9 is my home field (they're absolutely polite but, for example, they always ask me if I need the phone number to cancel on the ground; the number I called to pick up the clearance earlier). Plus there are many pilots based here who are rusty IFR flyers at best, so if AUS was to base it on where the plane is based, even that wouldn't help.

It seems the only practical way for such pilots to avoid a prolonged ODP is to ask if they can shorten or bypass it. Honest question: is that permissible when picking it up on the ground? I imagine I could ask for an amended clearance and the clearance per se could be amended while I wait on the phone but, if it happens as it does here, by being part of the release rather than the clearance, can I ask for the release to be amended? I've never done that and never thought about that as an option. I suppose I could depart VFR and pick up the clearance in the air but we've already noted that scraps the ODP anyway, plus it requires VMC.
The post I replied to with that wasn't about ATC. It was about should ODP's be made mandatory for 91 Ops like they are for 135 and 121.

Last edited:
The post I replied to with that wasn't about ATC. It was about should ODP's be made mandatory for 91 Ops like they are for 135 and 121.
Aah. Didn’t catch that.

I’m gonna show my ignorance and bet that 135 and 121 pilots have enough expectations of them by their employers that they at least know of an ODP they’re either doing or modifying virtually every time they take off. In fact, in many cases, TWO people in the cockpit know them. Not at all true of 91, as witnessed by this accident: there’s a high probability this pilot didn’t even know he was blowing off an ODP.

ATC asking if a 91 guy like me has the NOTAMS is frequent. Not sure I’ve ever heard them ask if a Delta flight has them. I’m gonna guess there’s an ATC policy that says they don’t need to ask that of the 121 and possibly the 135 guys (if there’s a policy at all about asking if pilots have the NOTAMS). Ironically, the people required to fly the ODP have internal processes that make them much more likely to know of them than the people who can ignore them. That is not at all a high-reliability process, as witnessed here.

Not at all true of 91, as witnessed by this accident: there’s a high probability this pilot didn’t even know he was blowing off an ODP.
Maybe, Maybe not. If he didn't know, it's a sad training issue. If his attitude is, "they are not required for Part 91 so I don't bother checking," it's even sadder.

Aah. Didn’t catch that.

I’m gonna show my ignorance and bet that 135 and 121 pilots have enough expectations of them by their employers that they at least know of an ODP they’re either doing or modifying virtually every time they take off. In fact, in many cases, TWO people in the cockpit know them. Not at all true of 91, as witnessed by this accident: there’s a high probability this pilot didn’t even know he was blowing off an ODP.

ATC asking if a 91 guy like me has the NOTAMS is frequent. Not sure I’ve ever heard them ask if a Delta flight has them. I’m gonna guess there’s an ATC policy that says they don’t need to ask that of the 121 and possibly the 135 guys (if there’s a policy at all about asking if pilots have the NOTAMS). Ironically, the people required to fly the ODP have internal processes that make them much more likely to know of them than the people who can ignore them. That is not at all a high-reliability process, as witnessed here.
No one should ever be taking off into IMC unaware of an ODP for the departure runway. It’s a basic part of flying IFR. This is not some high level skill set. It should have been an intrinsic part of preflight planning during training to be an instrument qualified pilot. A safe transition from the terminal area to the en-route structure needs to occur on 100% of our departures. Knowledge of ODP’s is part of the planning process.

For the life of me I can not understand how this conversation has lasted this many pages.

The problem of ODPs getting assigned out of habit because that’s the norm for a facility, is that it takes away the point of an ODP being optional in the first place. I’m sure at some point in the future the FAA will mandate them for all ops but for the time being, “unless absolutely necessary” they should be optional for Part 91.
I don't think so. ODPs, and their predecessor, the IFR departure procedure, have been optional since I got my instrument rating in 1959.

No one should ever be taking off into IMC unaware of an ODP for the departure runway. It’s a basic part of flying IFR.
I agree. And no one should ever operate on the wrong patient or remove the wrong kidney on the right patient but it happens - and has been reduced by implementing safeguards. And no airliner with onboard radar should try to land in a thunderstorm but it was happening until ATC procedures were revised (when’s the last time an airliner went down in a microburst?). The “belt and suspenders” for key activities, including airliner maintenance, etc., is why I don’t feel unsafe flying on pretty much any US major air carrier - but would think twice about flying on a third-world one.

For the life of me I can not understand how this conversation has lasted this many pages.
I agree here too. The title of the thread asks if ODPs should be required. I mistakenly thought they were, based on my local experience, and am still scratching my head at the resistance here to the idea of AUS using an apparently local procedure in the interest of safety to do just that. With seemingly zero downside (staying on runway heading until 800ft AGL in IMC in The Hill Country is onerous? Not to me…). And despite the length of this thread, there have been no real suggestions for improving safety - just critiques of AUS’s attempt to do so. (We’ve also now learned AUS isn’t alone and the one at KVGT is much more involved).

Add: and it’s inaccurate to say only the pilot is affected by their failure to follow their training. Even in this accident, the right-seater would say otherwise

No one should ever be taking off into IMC unaware of an ODP for the departure runway. It’s a basic part of flying IFR. This is not some high level skill set. It should have been an intrinsic part of preflight planning during training to be an instrument qualified pilot. A safe transition from the terminal area to the en-route structure needs to occur on 100% of our departures. Knowledge of ODP’s is part of the planning process.
One of the Laws of Learning is the Law of Exercise…that which is used regularly is best remembered.

A corollary to that Law probably applies to a very large number of pilots in the U.S. with regard to ODPs… “Use it or lose it.” If you don’t regularly see ODPs, they fall off your radar.

I’m not disagreeing with your position. But the training focus (either for the rating itself or in recurrent training/IPC) is often on other, more “glamorous” skills. Especially 8n areas with few ODPs.

Last edited:
I don't think so. ODPs, and their predecessor, the IFR departure procedure, have been optional since I got my instrument rating in 1959.

Well the only way to prevent accidents like this in the future is the FAA to get off their butts and make changes.

I'll definitely defer to you on that.
Of course, PAO is unlikely to be typical of the whole of Northern California, since there are three airline airports surrounding the bay.

L
to avoid wrong-site, wrong-patient surgeries, for example
Wrong site? You mean they might accidentally operate on me at a different hospital than the one I'm at?! That remote surgery stuff must be amazing!

Paul

@kath . You were looking for stickys awhile back. This one might be a good candidate for this forum. Knowledge about departure procedures are obviously a thing that could use a little more exposure.

Absolutely agree. Hardly a panacea but definitely easier to find, easier to set up, and easier to fly.
Here's an example of a the "no panacea."

How many of us in light GA actually check SIDs and STARs for our departures and destinations? Charted, easy to find, all the good things.

Here's an example of a the "no panacea."

How many of us in light GA actually check SIDs and STARs for our departures and destinations? Charted, easy to find, all the good things.
For SIDs I will occasionally check them during planning a trip to/from a field near a Class B or big Class C where I think I may be assigned one (and I try to guess which one will apply) but I also know 1) If I’m going to be assigned one it’s most commonly via Ground/Clearance Delivery prior to taxi at a towered field, so there’s plenty of time to then look it up and load it (I know there are exceptions, such as departing from a non-towered field) and 2) The SID is for flow more than avoiding obstacles and they often quickly shortcut me even if one was assigned.

For STARs, again, I’ll study them before and try to guess but usually get them assigned either in the initial clearance I pick up or far enough out to pretty easily study it and load it.

To me, the difference, as demonstrated by the accident cited, is if you launch planning to pick up a clearance in the air, especially at a place with mountains or towers nearby and at night, if you don’t follow the SID, ATC will put you on it as soon as you contact them, for separation. If you don’t follow the ODP, you end up like this guy.

ODPs are an IFR thing. To me, another question is why they’re not taught to all student pilots, at least for awareness, so they can get a heads up about potential risks departing an unfamiliar field, especially at night or low VMC. Seems like that could help cut CFITs (but I’d need to look at the accident data to see if that’s true). I’m not saying to require them - just show a few for awareness. In the accident case, if it was a VFR pilot who thought the 3,200ft broken ceiling should be more than enough to get to LNC safely, MAYBE reading the ODP would have convinced him that semi-reasonable idea was still not good. Then again, maybe not, for some pilots…

Last edited:
Back