Who can give endorsements?

BaltCoFlyer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
EchoSierraSierra
I had a discussion today in which it was stated that a person does not need to be a CFI in order to give an endorsement— only that they need to have the endorsement they’re going to give. Is that correct? Everything I’ve seen points to the contrary but I’m more than happy to be wrong on this one.

I guess that Bubba with only a PP can give endorsements for tailwheel and high performance. I wonder what the regs say?

Everything I’ve seen points to the contrary
5cda115dc649a336ca6270713d3703cf90a1b7f8dc82da2ae07776e264bc0526.jpg

FAR 61 states it pretty plain to me. Do you think otherwise?

A BGI or AGI can give an endorsement for the private pilot written exam. Somehow, I think that wasn't what you were talking about, though.

I had a discussion today in which it was stated that a person does not need to be a CFI in order to give an endorsement— only that they need to have the endorsement they’re going to give. Is that correct? Everything I’ve seen points to the contrary but I’m more than happy to be wrong on this one.
This is true for one of the glider towing endorsements. The relevant regs state who can give an endorsement.

Last edited:
61.31 does cover this— was mostly just wondering if I was missing something. Looks like I’m not and non-CFIs cannot give flight endorsements.

I had a discussion today in which it was stated that a person does not need to be a CFI in order to give an endorsement— only that they need to have the endorsement they’re going to give. Is that correct?
no.

[sigh]

OK. OK. One doesn't have to be a CFI to give an a endorsement for a knowledge test.

no.

[sigh]

OK. OK. One doesn't have to be a CFI to give an a endorsement for a knowledge test.
While flight instructor certificate numbers have CFI as the last 3 characters, Part 61 only authorizes flight instructors and ground instructors. Both are authorized instructors with various privileges, but neither is certified or called a certified flight instructor.

The various regulations require a person to have the required endorsements from an authorized instructor.

In addition to written tests, the holder AGI is authorized to provide the ground training portion of a flight review. The holder of an IGI is authorized for ground training for an IPC.

Sure, anyone can endorse your logbook with their signature and a statement such as "PilotX landed his airplane here at KXXX. The airplane is blue and has three wheels."

Back