Who are you?

Y'know, I do believe I see the resemblence...
brucechen.jpg
yoda.gif
Slight difference in the ears... But, otherwise?

Oh, the glasses?

:goofy:

I took my (now) wife to that movie on our first date in high school. That was just a few years ago, wasn't it?

Sure. 5 years ago, right?

It's amazing how well that movie holds up. It's hard to find a flaw in it even today.

When 900 years old you are, glasses you too will need.
:D I started wearing glasses in the ninth grade. I nearly failed eighth grade math because I couldn't see the board. Being near-sighted, they are the biggest pain when flying. I see the panel just fine without them but can't spot traffic well. The bifocals bite when it comes to reading a chart in flight. I won't be getting them this time.

I've got a Klingon/English dictionary somewhere...... oh, and a TNG communicator pin.....

Qapla! (Dictionary missing, spelling may be incorrect :D).

I got to go flying with Worf for a day. Excellent pilot.

Oh yeah, and I'm Lando. Interesting.

Last edited:
Yeah, sure. Winter of 1968-1969. :D

You know in "2010" they screwed up? Kubrick would have killed them.

Roy Scheider carefully floats the pens in the galley when he's modeling the maneuver...then later when he gets handed the disconnect in the same room he tosses it slightly in the air and catches it as it falls.

You know in "2010" they screwed up? Kubrick would have killed them.

Roy Scheider carefully floats the pens in the galley when he's modeling the maneuver...then later when he gets handed the disconnect in the same room he tosses it slightly in the air and catches it as it falls.

Oops. :D

BTW, the 30th anniversary of the release of Star Wars is on May 25th.

I was 37 when that happened.

37 Weeks. :D

James Dean

The theater in which I saw the original Star Wars ( I still remember it like it was yesterday, I was seven years old) is now a bookstore. Oops, I guess it isn't even that anymore. B****rds! Recognize it, Kevin?

It's easy enough to forget how Star Wars revolutionized the movie industry back then. Influenced an entire generation of children. And, oh, the merchandising...

The theater in which I saw the original Star Wars ( I still remember it like it was yesterday, I was seven years old) is now a bookstore. Oops, I guess it isn't even that anymore. B****rds! Recognize it, Kevin?

It's easy enough to forget how Star Wars revolutionized the movie industry back then. Influenced an entire generation of children. And, oh, the merchandising...

The theater I saw the first one was near my uncle's house and was tore down a long time ago. But in a little serendipity on that site another theater was built and that is where I saw the the Phantom Menace 22 years later

Sure. 5 years ago, right?

It's amazing how well that movie holds up. It's hard to find a flaw in it even today.

Yeah, I couldn't find a flaw in it because it put me to sleep.

Here's 2001 in a nutshell:

Cool opening scene - maybe the best ever.
2 hours of somnia-inducing boredom
Kubric finds his LSD stash and gives you 10 minutes of Kaleidescopolgy
Another 20 minutes of trying to stay awake.
Kubric pops a couple 'shrooms and we have a giant floating fetus.

The end.

Makes me want to run right out and rent 2010. Not.

The end.

Well, I love 2001, but 2010 is a much different movie and would likely appeal to those who didn't like 2001. Much more Hollywood, and even though I don't think it is nearly as good I like both for different reasons.

A friend of mine is a real trekkie, and was a regular member on the star trek usenet newsgroups. He came to my office the day Gene Roddenberry died. Someone had posted the bad news, and the first reply was, yes, you guessed it, "He's dead, Jim".

:rofl:

An interesting piece of Star Trek/aviation trivia that I heard somewhere is that the Enterprise's numerical designation, NCC-1701, was the registration number of the first plane that Rodenberry owned.

I had this exact conversation with someone who works up in probation - the both of us are big star wars fans and her entire office is decorated with SW memorabilia...I'd love to see the looks on some of the probationers that come into her office!

The original three were amazing movies, in many different ways. The latest three were pretty bad, in many different ways.

The end.

LOL! Dude. It was 1968 and it was Kubrick. He never did "blowed up real good!"

The effects at the end run a little long, now, but only because we've seen them a million times. The ABC made for TV movie show in the 70's used to have the same effect. This was where that effect was invented! by Douglas Trumbul. Cut it a little slack.

Did you like "AI?" I'll bet not. How about "The Shining?"

The one that really, literally put me to sleep every time was the umpteeth repetition of The Enterprise crossing the whatever cloud in the first Star Trek movie. I literally snored when I saw it in a revival theater late one weekend night.

Last edited:
LOL! Dude. It was 1968 and it was Kubrick. He never did "blowed up real good!"

The effects at the end run a little long, now, but only because we've seen them a million times. The ABC made for TV movie show in the 70's used to have the same effect. This was where that effect [was] invented![/b] Cut a little slack.

Did you like "AI?" I'll bet not. How about "The Shining?"

The one that really, literally put me to sleep every time was the umpteeth repetition of The Enterprise crossing the whatever cloud in the first Star Trek movie. I literally snored when I saw it in a revival theater late one weekend night.

LOL. I don't need "blowed up" for a good movie. Maybe it's just Kubric. I did not see AI, but the Shining was pretty slow moving for me as well. And it's not that a movie has to have a lot of action to keep me in involved. But that movie could have been cut down to about 30 minutes and would have been much better for it.

The end.

Man I love 2001, it was a great movie. But then I read the book 4 times until I understood just what the heck was going on cause after watching it once I was with you!

BTW the giant floating fetus was Dave Bowman reborn as a g-d like being to watch over man and help them take their next evolutionary step. In 2010 they tweak the story and he became the watcher of the Europons. The monoliths were made to change people and evolve them in a new direction. One could argue that the direction was to make the beings more like the makers of the monoliths. It could then be suggested that the makers of the monoliths were GOD and that they were making us in their image.

Well that is the reader's digest version.

In the movie the kaleidescope stuff was all this being revealed to Dave.

Last edited:
A newly licensed lawyer who is seeing a probation officer? Hmmm....

:D :goofy: :D

Haha, I've actually been admitted elsewhere for a while, but I took the exam in Colorado because I moved here fairly recently.

I wonder how lawyers would fit in the Star Wars universe? The computer told me that I'm a Qui-Gon, and that fits in a way. I'm certainly something of a loner in my profession - I have no tolerance for most of them.

BTW no way was AI a Kubrick movie, Steve Speilberg screwed that one up. Kubrick lost it with that Tom and Nicole sex film. That was a waste of celluloid.

Haha, I've actually been admitted elsewhere for a while, but I took the exam in Colorado because I moved here fairly recently.
I know a lawyer out there I'd like to see admitted... to the DRDC. Your probation officer friend will know. :D

I wonder how lawyers would fit in the Star Wars universe? The computer told me that I'm a Qui-Gon, and that fits in a way. I'm certainly something of a loner in my profession - I have no tolerance for most of them.
I'd expect the ATLA to be behind Darth Vader and the Death Star. :)

BTW no way was AI a Kubrick movie, Steve Speilberg screwed that one up. Kubrick lost it with that Tom and Nicole sex film. That was a waste of celluloid.

Speilberg directed it, but only because Kubrick gave it to him. Kubrick sat on the story for over a decade until he was convinced the state of the art for special effects was up to what he in mind. Kubrick pushed Speilberg to do it after Kubrick saw Jurassic Park.

Kubrick and Speilberg worked for the last few years of Kubrick's life on AI. Kubrick had the script and storyboards that they worked from and they talked constantly.

As for the "Eyes Wide Shut" the best thing that came of that was that Kubrick took so long shooting and re-shooting it it drove Tom Cruise more nuts than he was.

went through it again, much better this time

i cant figure out how to post that picture, but im Qui-Gon Jinn

Last edited:
An interesting piece of Star Trek/aviation trivia that I heard somewhere is that the Enterprise's numerical designation, NCC-1701, was the registration number of the first plane that Rodenberry owned.

Flying home from Denver last night on UA there was another aircraft talking to Denver Center with the call "Startrek 131". Any idea who that might have been?

Flying home from Denver last night on UA there was another aircraft talking to Denver Center with the call "Startrek 131". Any idea who that might have been?

I have no idea, but I like it! My best guess would be Michael Dorn (played Worf). Apparently he is a avid flyer and owns a converted and restored military jet - along the lines of a lear. There was a program on the History Channel about the development of the modern business jet, and they used his plane for a segment of it. Seems like a very nice person.

[edit:] BTW, how cool is that United lets you listen to ATC? I always enjoy it.

There was a composite aircraft that was ahead of its time. After the FAA terminated certification on the bird, one guy bought up all the remaining parts to continue maintaining his own plane. He operates with an experimental banner. If I recall correctly, the name of the plane included the word "star" and he lives in Denver.

[edit:] BTW, how cool is that United lets you listen to ATC? I always enjoy it.

That and E+ are the key reasons I like United over most of the competition. Although I slept a good part of the flight last night, so ch9 was a small part of the flight.

The call sign was probably "Starcheck," the call sign for AirNet Express, a freight outfit based in Ohio that originally got started hauling checks for the banks. Michael Dorn's Saberliner uses its N-number. The composite aircraft built by Beech was the "Starship," but they bought them all back and destroyed them rather than support the fleet -- the Starship owners all got King Airs in trade.

The composite aircraft built by Beech was the "Starship," but they bought them all back and destroyed them rather than support the fleet -- the Starship owners all got King Airs in trade.
There is still one flying. Can you guess whose?

The call sign was probably "Starcheck," the call sign for AirNet Express, a freight outfit based in Ohio that originally got started hauling checks for the banks. Michael Dorn's Saberliner uses its N-number. The composite aircraft built by Beech was the "Starship," but they bought them all back and destroyed them rather than support the fleet -- the Starship owners all got King Airs in trade.

Ron, could well have been. Thanks.

Back