'Where you flying' thread

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I know a lot of you guys are not spending all your time hammering out gibes on POA, you're actually getting around this country.
Where have you flown lately?
Bonus points if you name city or town and not just 3- and 4-letter airport codes.

Sebring Fla north Tampa Florida. Venice fla. Going to do young eagles on Saturday. Getting ready for a cross country west in March.

Putted around south central NC today shooting some approaches and heading to Daytona Beach in a 172 in the AM! About 350 nm one way.

the PIG on Sat and SCBC at GMU on Sun. no bonus points for me.

I'll be circling Winnsboro (KFDW) Saturday, breaking in new rings and cylinders. Maybe get in a cross country flight Sunday. Would rather be flying to BQ1, but first things first.

Putted around south central NC today shooting some approaches and heading to Daytona Beach in a 172 in the AM! About 350 nm one way.

you mean on Flight Sim, right? kid?

Last night I spent a couple hours planning a trip to Sun-N-Fun via Hilton Head & Jekyll Island. Then continuing on down to Marathon in the Keys before making my way back north. 1998 nauticals RT but I forgot you cannot go anywhere in a 172. :rolleyes:

Just for fun I compared the length of time it would take from when you awake in the morning until you hit your destination in a car, via commercial airline or in my slowpoke 172. I added in drive times to airports, departure, flight duration, time to get a rental car, retrieve baggage, pee breaks...all the variables I could think of short of mechanical or WX failures.

Results:
By car: 14.50 hrs door to door, commercial: 8 hrs door to door and in my 172: 8.75 hrs.

Saw some pireps reporting moderate turbulence in our area today. How was it there?

Last edited:
Considering we're gonna get 4 inches of rain here with 20 kt winds predicted for tomorrow into Saturday.... nowhere. =(

I will be hanging out in a PROTE tomorrow for 20 minutes though, so I'll be SIMULATING going somewhere. LoL

Saw some pireps reporting moderate turbulence in our area today. How was it there?
It was pretty bumpy, did approaches at AFP, wasn't too bad when we got started around 1030 but got fairly rough shortly after

I flew down to Hilton Head SC (KHXD) on Tuesday. It was bumpy inland but nice and smooth on the coast.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 20
Considering we're gonna get 4 inches of rain here with 20 kt winds predicted for tomorrow into Saturday.... nowhere. =(

I will be hanging out in a PROTE tomorrow for 20 minutes though, so I'll be SIMULATING going somewhere. LoL

Yeah, nasty forecast for Friday/Saturday...6 inches of rain possible for Ventura, 4 for L.A. proper, and maybe 2 down in South OC. Get out your mud toboggan, because some hillsides are comin' down!

I taxiied around the airport after I finished my annual a couple days ago. Does that count? :D

Seen that view many times. Nice area to fly around.
Yes, I love flying the coast. Interesting sights to see and great sea food.
I have attached a picture, just down the coast from Hilton Head, of Fort Pulaski near Tybee Island.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Yes, I love flying the coast. Interesting sights to see and great sea food.
I have attached a picture, just down the coast from Hilton Head, of Fort Pulaski near Tybee Island.

Yep, flew out of SVN many times. Great area for scenery and XC trips. SSI is a good lunch trip.

Yep, flew out of SVN many times. Great area for scenery and XC trips. SSI is a good lunch trip.
Yes, I love "Barbra Jean's" in the Village area of St. Simons. I really like their crab cakes.
I also like the historic district of Jekyll Island and the 'Red Bug' vehicles, but much prefer the eating options on St Simons.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
Went for a fun VFR flight the other day just to get out and get up in the air. Landed at Castle KMER which was a base for SAC B-52s. HUGE runway.

This weekend is all over SoCal (Santa Monica) if the weather allows for it (as @ircphoenix and @SoCal RV Flyer mentioned)

Yeah, nasty forecast for Friday/Saturday...6 inches of rain possible for Ventura, 4 for L.A. proper, and maybe 2 down in South OC. Get out your mud toboggan, because some hillsides are comin' down!

I taxiied around the airport after I finished my annual a couple days ago. Does that count? :D

And the girlfriend is trying to go to Disneyland tomorrow. *facepalm*

I was supposed to fly up to Boyne, MI to a ski trip last Monday. Messed up my ankle pretty bad so decided to point the nose somewhere warm and head to Myrtle Beach instead. This weekend I'm taking the family up to Wausau, WI so they can get at least one weekend of skiing in. Doc says I'm still out so I'll probably just hop around and practice some approaches during the day.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My schedule has been having an ongoing argument with the weather lately, so mostly turns around the pattern.

Local flying lately, but I'm taking advantage of the beautiful weather in the area this weekend: heading to Deep Creek Lake (Garrett Co, Maryland) Monday, should be about 4hrs total for the day!

Been meaning to make it over to Deep Creek sometime. Just a local hop for me this weekend to get the rust off. Maybe some pattern work at Front Royal.

My fiancé is from Leesburg and went to JMU and they vacationed at Deep Creek many times as a kid. This will be my first time visiting and just the perfect trip to take!

Tomorrow I'm leaving Caldwell NJ (KCDW) , flying to Edison NJ (Central Jersey Airport 47N) for a stop and go. Then I'll fly up the Hudson River SFRA and land at White Plains (KHPN). Depending on the time, I'll reverse the route or fly back to Caldwell. I expect 3.5 hours flying. Cessna 172R.

A colleague was going to ride along, but I haven't heard from him about coordinating transportation to the airport. Kind of a bummer as I would invite other friends to join me if my colleague decided to skip it. I also don't want to double book the passenger seats if they wake up later this evening.

After EAA pancake breakfast at Covington GA (KCVC) flying to Venice FL (KVNC)

A colleague was going to ride along, but I haven't heard from him about coordinating transportation to the airport. Kind of a bummer as I would invite other friends to join me if my colleague decided to skip it. I also don't want to double book the passenger seats if they wake up later this evening.

I got to the point where I'll tell people to respond by a certain time. Not to pressure them but so I have enough time to ask other people to go.

Not supposed to say. But most of y'all probably wouldn't want to go where I go anyway. ;)

Aw come on, fess up. You aren't telling because secretly you live in fear that eman, 6PC & friends are going to crash your party unannounced and drink all the beer... :eek:

I'm gonna fly up to Lubbock today to deliver some stuff to my two sons in college at Texas Tech. I'll take the scenic route on my way back, maybe fly low along the edge of the Llano Estacado caprock and check out the headwaters of the Colorado River between Tahoka and Lamesa.

I'm not going to 'like' each post, but I do enjoy hearing that folks are getting out and flying! Thanks for posting.
I flew from west Texas to Denver and back today.

Aw come on, fess up. You aren't telling because secretly you live in fear that eman, 6PC & friends are going to crash your party unannounced and drink all the beer... :eek:

Well, that is a problem. Beer is pretty hard to get here!

Thirty minutes of laps around Winnsboro today, before the rain. Pretty bumpy at times. Normally does not bother me, but I was flying WOT.

Three+ hours tomorrow. May head down to Greene County, GA. Or perhaps over to Southport, NC. Will depend on the WX.

Back