Where y'all from? Test <g>

It sure will be interesting to actually meet some of you folks. You all sound just like me when I read your posts in my head! The only voice I've heard from the board is Tony's.
That right there tells me you NEED to go to www.pilotcast.com and listen to a few episodes! You'll hear Mike, Kent, Dr. Bruce, Tony, Lance, Chip, Ron, Leslie, me, and probably others.

Oh! I didn't think you had an accent :D (really--fingers crossed behind back!)

So, where did you grow up Spike (I use the term loosely).

Best,

Dave

Ouch, really.

I grew up near Forest Lane & Greenville Avenue, from the time I was 3-ish. Dallas, all the way.

In those days, I think we were the only family in the 'hood with a dad not working for TI.

It said I was from the Midland. As in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Missouri, etc. It
didn't say Nebraska.

RT

Ditto (I'm originally from Michigan, lived in Minnesota for 30+ years). It's good to know that if my career folds, I could always get into radio.:no:

Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

"You have a good voice for TV or radio" do they mean to imply, "You spent your formative years glued to the tube, or next to a boom box - and that is where you learned to talk the way that you do."?

"Midland".... hmm that is the nearest city to me! Of course, I spent the first 30yrs 1500mi away!

Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

===

Right on. Funny stuff!

Me, too. And dead on. 4th generation native Californian (Northern) and also much of my life in Washington (state).

:no: I do not play Sheepshead, although I always wanted to learn. I remember aunts and uncles playing a lot, but we left WI when I was 10. Born in Milwaukee and lived in Sun Prairie and DuPere. Afraid the card game that we play here the most would place me as being from the Northeast since he kids and I got on a Canasta kick a few years back.

That's not so northeast. I learned Canasta from a girlfriend in high school, then promptly forgot it. Interestingly enough, I had a girlfriend from Sun Prairie too.

Like I said though... Not all Wisconsinites play sheepshead. If you want, I'll teach you at Gaston's. :yes: (Warning: Some alcohol may be required, the rules make no sense if you're sober! :rofl:)

"The Midland"

Makes sense, grew up in Pittsburgh, lived lots of places.

Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington.
Now that's interesting. I was born and raised in central New Jersey but I haven't lived there in over 30 years. I thought I had a pretty generic accent since I've lived on both coasts and in the middle. :dunno:

"That's a Southern accent you've got there. You may love it, you may hate it, you may swear you don't have it, but whatever the case, we can hear it."

I got the same result.

I guess I cannot hide the fact (not that I would ever want to)
that I am from North Cackalacky, even on internet!!

As Ronnie Van Zant once said..."we're from northern Florida and very Southern Georgia."

Says I'm from North Central. Minnesota.

I was born and raised in SoCal, lived in WA for 7 years with a guy that was born and raised in MN.

Time to find a new spouse.

Says the Midland, but except for a stint in the service I've lived on the West Coast.

Jay

Very cool Dave!!

They had me Pegged down to the very street I live on. No seriously said I am as Philly as a cheesesteak. That is sooo true. Awesome

Me too Adam. Guilty as charged! Damn that's funny.

Well, it kind of cheated, says I'm from the west. Seriously - the west is a VERY large area....

Guess we all talk alike.

interesting .. thanks, Dave

close .. pegged me as Philly .. but it is actually unmistakable New York.

A written grammar and pronunciation quiz seems useless to me as a way to determine accent.

Other than a 3 year stint in Ohio where I graduated from high school and my time in USAF (yr in CO, 3 in FL, 2 in NM, 3 in Germany), I have lived in the south all my life. But it said I was from Phillie.

North Central. But I'm from Boston; they didn't ask if I use "wicked", "homo" or "retarded" in my vernacular, which is usually the dead giveaway. And, they didn't ask how I pronounce "Dunkin Donuts"...

Cheers,

-Andrew
wicked Bostonian

Midland is totally the cop-out answer that means the test is bogus. It said "Midland" for me, and I lived in Chicago for only 4 years as an adult (too late to change my accent). Otherwise I've lived in the West all my life.

Judy

Midland. Well, I've lived in SE Penn for more than a decade, but I grew up in VT and had a real New England accent once upon a time. I guess that is gone now...

Jim G

Scored me as Midland (which qualifies as correct, since they include PA), with Philadelphia ranked second. If you assume the combination of #1 & #2 = Philly suburbs, then it was right on. Interesting quiz.

Funny that Bo scored as a Philly accent. When I was a kid, I went to camp in the Finger Lakes region of NY. The kids from NY used to laugh and ask where in the South I lived, because of my accent. They thought I was from Georgia or something. I think it had to do with how I pronounced "motorboat" -- meww-der-bewwt.

North Central. But I'm from Boston; they didn't ask if I use "wicked", "homo" or "retarded" in my vernacular, which is usually the dead giveaway. And, they didn't ask how I pronounce "Dunkin Donuts"...

I use "wicked" too, I don't think that's just a Boston thing. And any redneck would tell you that you Boston homos are retarded. ;)

Midland is totally the cop-out answer that means the test is bogus. It said "Midland" for me, and I lived in Chicago for only 4 years as an adult (too late to change my accent). Otherwise I've lived in the West all my life.

I don't think it's a cop-out answer, I just think that most of y'all in the West sound perfectly normal, just like me. :goofy:

OK, I admit it, I still haven't recovered from my visit with Steve two weeks ago. ;) :rofl:

OK, I've been living in the south for 10 years now, and I still don't quite know the rules for using "y'all" vs. "all y'all". Both are plurals, but I can't quite determine the number of folks addressed that invokes the "all" in front of the "y'all".

That is all.

IOK, I admit it, I still haven't recovered from my visit with Steve two weeks ago. ;) :rofl:

You should have saw me calling motorcycle shops in Mississippi trying to find a new tire. Not a single person could understand me.

OK, I've been living in the south for 10 years now, and I still don't quite know the rules for using "y'all" vs. "all y'all". Both are plurals, but I can't quite determine the number of folks addressed that invokes the "all" in front of the "y'all".

That is all.

http://anotherhistoryblog.blogspot.com/2006/12/more-than-yall-wanted-to-now-about-yall.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A573978

here ya' go ... or here y'all go ... or maybe these are for all y'all ... :D

That is all.

When talking to one person regarding a group in the third person, it's ya'll.
When addressing the group as the first person, it's all ya'll.

At least that's pretty much how I use them.

I thought I knew; now I don't know if I know :D

I do know that I like it more than: hey youse guys!! 'Specially where there are ladies in the group <g>

Best,

Dave

Bill,

You have a lot to learn. "Y'all" is not necessarily plural. As in, "Hey, do y'all have a restroom I can use?"* Or, "Hey, y'all should join us for dinner." Those can be used when addressing a singular person.

Then, you can use the somewhat-plural y'all. For instance, the dinner line could be used to address a couple or family as well. Another example would be "Y'all have a real nice house."

"All y'all" can be used for either larger groups ("All y'all should join our party!") or for extra emphasis in smaller groups. (First: "Y'all are mean." Next: "All y'all better quit messin' with me!")

OK true southerners, how'd I do? :goofy:

* I forget what the Southern word for restroom is. ;)

Back