Where y'all from? Test <g>

I thought I knew; now I don't know if I know :D

I do know that I like it more than: hey youse guys!! 'Specially where there are ladies in the group <g>

Of course, growing up in Pittsburgh it was yuns, yunses, and yuns guys.

http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/drgw006.html

Which can also be spelled yins.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yins

And of course, you DON'T want to be a yinser.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yinsers

Last edited:
I do know that I like it more than: hey youse guys!! 'Specially where there are ladies in the group <g>

Beep beep beep! Stereotype alert!

I have never actually heard anyone use "youse guys" outside of making fun of said stereotypes, or the movie "Fargo." Not even in Fargo (the city).

That said, lots of people use "you guys" including me now and then. I think Dave's right, though... I like y'all better.

Saw a funny license plate once: "LLAY IH" Best viewed in rearview mirror.

And, some idiot with a "Got Jesus?" bumper sticker just pulled so damn close in front of us, I think he's trying to arrange a meeting. :mad:

I resemble that remark!:p

NOTICE
Due to the climate of political correctness now prevailing in America, Kentuckians, Tennesseans, North Carolinians, Virginians and West Virginians will no longer be referred to as "HILLBILLIES."
You must now refer to us as
APPALACHIAN-AMERICANS.
Thank you!
Now if you'll excuse me, I got possums to fry

BTW...that quiz said I was from Philly. What a laugh!!

Yeah it said I had a Boston accent. I'm from freaking south Florida! Boston is one of the few northern cities I've manged to NOT see!

You've missed the best of the best!

Cheers,

-Andrew

I just did the test. It was real fer offf. I been hear in da South long time. Da family came over in the mid 1700's. My Geat Great grand Pappy buerd only 100 miles from here.

Results were Inland.
I live in Louisiana. I was fun and put a smile face. Now just 24min and I got to the airport to see why my starter is not work on the Cub. Let us hope for a loose cable.
John

Someone must have broke it. It keeps telling me, I am from Philly.....

Now any of you that have heard me know my accent screems I was raised in the south.

Last edited:
It said inland North for me. Pretty much nailed it as I was born in Chicago.

But I haven't lived there in 25 years! :rolleyes:

Someone must have broke it. It keeps telling me, I am from Philly.....

Now any of you that have heard me know my accent screems I was raised in the south.

NOT!!!:rofl:

* I forget what the Southern word for restroom is. ;)

slop pot for those that dont have indoor plumbing.
for those that do, its the water closet.

09019907.jpg

Last edited:
It is absolute fact that anyone north of Kentucky and south Jawjuh are yankees.

I once met a preacher back in Colorado I had guessed to be from Kentucky. He turned out to be from southern Indiana. I lost all respect for 'em. :eek:

It is absolute fact that anyone north of Kentucky and south Jawjuh are yankees.

Not really. The Line of Demarcation actually runs across Florida at about Flagler county. You can rest assured that there are plenty of good Southern boys here in North Florida!

I was not going to saw anything about Florida. Now it see the box is open. One of my dad's friends Grew up in South Louisiana lived most of his life in Memphis. Retired and moved to Tampa. The moved the Pensacola area. He said he had to move back to the south. Tampa was to far north for him.
John

It says I'm midland "don't have an accent" etc. and could also be from a southern metro.

Bah. The truth is, I'm from east Tennessee, as country as country gets, moved to the Atlanta metro in 2003 (first time in 2000 then back to TN in 01, then back here in 03) and the only thing "country" about me is my accent. I vary between cultural pride and revulsion, but hearing myself on a recording is a horrid experience. I sound like someone just dragged me in from the back 40. Or maybe, east TN being so mountainous, the other hillside. OTOH there's often something incongruous sounding about it, even to me, as I am fairly likely even in casual speech to retain the accent while mixing in words like, well, "incongruous."

I paraphrase Jeff Foxworthy, "I'm a network engineer and have a master's degree. I only sound stupid." :yes:

Bill,

You have a lot to learn. "Y'all" is not necessarily plural. As in, "Hey, do y'all have a restroom I can use?"* Or, "Hey, y'all should join us for dinner." Those can be used when addressing a singular person.

Then, you can use the somewhat-plural y'all. For instance, the dinner line could be used to address a couple or family as well. Another example would be "Y'all have a real nice house."

"All y'all" can be used for either larger groups ("All y'all should join our party!") or for extra emphasis in smaller groups. (First: "Y'all are mean." Next: "All y'all better quit messin' with me!")

OK true southerners, how'd I do? :goofy:

Pretty good, actually.

I rarely if ever actually say "y'all" and write it more than I say it, but I'm on a positive crusade to bring sweet tea to the benighted masses north and west of what I call "the sweet tea line." No kidding, I was in my 20s before I realized it was regional and unavailable elsewhere. No, we didn't get out of the area much, or at all really. I was shocked and horrified.

Well, slightly shocked, anyway.

Now grits, I'll eat 'em, especially if there's northerners around to look confused or disgusted or whatever, but I don't really like 'em much. Sweet iced tea, however, is the nectar of the gods. :yes:

And besides, drink a few tall glasses of it and y'all will be doing this: :goofy:

Sweet iced tea, however, is the nectar of the gods. :yes:

And besides, drink a few tall glasses of it and y'all will be doing this: :goofy:
I love the stuff. I need to get off of it. On my landing flair my stick it starting to get to close to my sweet tea holding tank.
John

Now grits, I'll eat 'em, especially if there's northerners around to look confused or disgusted or whatever, but I don't really like 'em much.

Upon moving to the south, I never got the grits thing, but good biscuts and gravy are something to behold!!! Heart attack be damned. :D

Just MHO opinion of course, but a person hasn't lived until they've enjoyed a meal of fried catfish, hushpuppies, cheese grits and lots of sweet iced tea! That's living my friends! :yes:

I rarely if ever actually say "y'all" and write it more than I say it, but I'm on a positive crusade to bring sweet tea to the benighted masses north and west of what I call "the sweet tea line." No kidding, I was in my 20s before I realized it was regional and unavailable elsewhere. No, we didn't get out of the area much, or at all really. I was shocked and horrified.

Yeah. Ask for sweet tea up here, and they'll say... "You mean iced tea with sugar in it?" :(

Just MHO opinion of course, but a person hasn't lived until they've enjoyed a meal of fried catfish, hushpuppies, cheese grits and lots of sweet iced tea! That's living my friends! :yes:
My wife makes the best cheese grits with bacon,boiled crawfish,boiled shrip and green onions.:goofy:
John

And the suger goes stright down. That is whan a Coke is ordered
John

Yep.

I once had trouble finding it in, of all places, Charleston, SC. This was in the 1980s and I've no idea if it's still like that. I probably shouldn't have done it but with the snideness of youth when I sensed one Pizza Hut dronette seemingly acting haughty about it I proceeded to go right over her bewildered head with a discussion about how "crystalline sucrose does not readily dissolve in an ambient temperature aqueous solution now, does it? So the flavorful adulterant must be added while the solution is more thermally enhanced..." or some such rot.

That's the key for those few who don't know. It simply is not the same, not remotely the same, as putting sugar in your already cold iced tea where it simply will not dissolve or, with vigorous stirring, will dissolve only slightly. And artificial sweeteners taste, well, artificial. The sugar has to be added while the freshly brewed tea is hot, then allowed to cool.

Granted, you can actually make a super saturated solution this way and I've been to some southern restaurants that seem to get too close to just that! There is such a thing as too much of a good thing, but then there's such a thing as too little, too.

A vendor at work took us to a rather fancy lunch at a place that must, must, be a chain of some kind because they didn't have sweet tea. I asked the waiter, "you do realize you're in Georgia, right?" He smiled broadly and indicated he did, but those who decided the menu might not.

Back