Where y'all from? Test <g>

Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

===

Right on. Funny stuff!

Says I'm from the North East.
"Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. "

Well, at least it said you were from this country <g>. One of the guys from AvSig from your area of the country was pegged as a foreigner (Angola I think!!) :eek:

Best,

Dave

Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

Right on. Funny stuff!

Whose accent you addressin Spike?

That's what it said about me, Dave.

###

Good wx for flying home tomorrow, *except* looks like 30-40 knot headwinds - Grrr!

Way off here. Says I'm from the Northeast - not sure where that came from. Last time I lived in the Northeast, I was probably 2 years old.

Mine said "Midland" which isn't too far off. Midland is only about 30 miles south of Gladwin!

Barb

They pegged me midland, but somewhat south. They said southern IL. I'm actually from Wisconsin, but got to Arizona via Washington and California, so I'm probably a tough one to figure. No-one ever guesses I'm from Wisconsin until I say Wisconsin. At that point it's very obvious.:yes:

That's what it said about me, Dave.

###

Good wx for flying home tomorrow, *except* looks like 30-40 knot headwinds - Grrr!

Oh! I didn't think you had an accent :D (really--fingers crossed behind back!)

So, where did you grow up Spike (I use the term loosely).

Best,

Dave

Midlander

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Spot on.
We now return you to your normally scheduled program :)

...one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.
Atlanta is so full of transplants from New York and California, you rarely find a southern accent. It's very refreshing when I do find one in some office tower.

It was right on for me. Even to the city.

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard

The Inland North said:
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."
Wow. Bingo.

It's so accurate and finely varied that I almost wonder if it's using your IP address to make a determination...

Edit: Well, a quick experiment using Tor which popped me out from an IP in Omaha yielded the same results. Impressive.

Edit #2: Yes, I do have way too much time on my hands... Were it not for the weather, I'd be flying right now. :(

Last edited:
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio."

I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. deMille! :D

Of course, I'll be down here in Nawth Carolina waitin' for it! ;)

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio."

I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. deMille! :D

Of course, I'll be down here in Nawth Carolina waitin' for it! ;)

That's exactly the one I got. Now how far is Nebraska from NC?

Well, at least it said you were from this country <g>. One of the guys from AvSig from your area of the country was pegged as a foreigner (Angola I think!!) :eek:

Best,

Dave

That's true. Not too bad since I was born and raised in Sweden huh?...LOL

It says midlander which is fine. Born in Goose Bay Labrador but moved at 1yr to upstate NY 2yrs> New Mexico 3yrs> DC 6yrs > Ky 6yrs> Tx 1yr> Oh 6yrs.> Ky 2yrs> Ok 2yrs> Germany 3yrs> Wa 6yrs> Ak 3yrs> Tn 2yrs.

Well, my sister says I "tawwwlk funny". We were both raised in central Georgia, and I could probably convince you I was from about anywhere. However, I have lived in Georgia for 41 years and Florida for 10 years.

The verdict? According to the test I an from Philadelphia!!!
:dunno:

Very cool Dave!!

They had me Pegged down to the very street I live on. No seriously said I am as Philly as a cheesesteak. That is sooo true. Awesome

Yeah, nailed me too.
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Inland north? Not even close. Probably more mongrel.

Grew up in DC suburbs, in a house with two parents from New England, yet the area was so transient (military, politics, etc) that friends were usually around for 3-5 years (tour of duty). So I grew up with lots of accents around. Then, again, I've lived in several different regions, from mid-Hudson valley to NJ, to DC area, to Va Beach, to Cincinnati, to Texas.... and was married to a gal from the south for a while.

If that doesn't result in a bland accent, I don't know what does.

"That's a Southern accent you've got there. You may love it, you may hate it, you may swear you don't have it, but whatever the case, we can hear it."

I guess I cannot hide the fact (not that I would ever want to)
that I am from North Cackalacky, even on internet!!

It was right. "The inland North." I lost some of my Wisconsin accent during college in Iowa. Came back here thinking I was immune, but my vowels have since warped back into the local accent.

By the way, can anyone tell me where the nearest "bubbler" is? A little curiosity on Wikipedia and now I understand why we Wisconsinites call it that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubbler

Right on the money:

Your Result: The Inland North

It was right. "The inland North." I lost some of my Wisconsin accent during college in Iowa. Came back here thinking I was immune, but my vowels have since warped back into the local accent.

Wisconsinites have no accent. People on TV talk like us. :rofl:

By the way, can anyone tell me where the nearest "bubbler" is? A little curiosity on Wikipedia and now I understand why we Wisconsinites call it that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubbler

Bah. Speak for yourself. It's a drinking fountain. Five county radius? Uh, no.

Very interesting link, though. I learned something today. (I can go to sleep now. ;))

Wow, very impressive:

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

In fact, even insiders mistake me for a Canadian since that's what I am. And it certainly isn't IP based, since I did the quiz from Auckland.

It sure will be interesting to actually meet some of you folks. You all sound just like me when I read your posts in my head! The only voice I've heard from the board is Tony's.

Chris

Boston? Freakin' BOSTON???? C'mon! I'm insulted and offended! Offended enough that my native Minnesotan is starting to come out!

They pegged me midland, but somewhat south. They said southern IL. I'm actually from Wisconsin, but got to Arizona via Washington and California, so I'm probably a tough one to figure. No-one ever guesses I'm from Wisconsin until I say Wisconsin. At that point it's very obvious.:yes:

Where in Wisconsin?

There would be an easy question to identify that. "Do you know how to play, or have you ever played, the card game 'sheepshead'?"

Not all Wisconsinites play sheepshead, but it seems that everyone who plays sheepshead is either from Wisconsin or has an immediate family member in Wisconsin. I used to play on Yahoo Sheepshead a lot, and we'd always ask... "Where is everybody?"

The answers would go something like this:

"Sheboygan."
"Wausau."
"Fond du Lac."
"Well, I'm in Tennessee, but I grew up in Stevens Point."
"I'm from New Mexico, but my mom grew up in Rhinelander."

:rofl:

So, Sheri... Do you play sheepshead? Kate, do you? Pete, I know you do... And I do too. :yes:

Incidentally, I showed up as "The Midland" with "The Inland North" a close second. I've lived in Wisconsin my entire life, but the Milwaukee area has some distinct differences from the Madison area. Plus, I have a lot of southerners as friends and I've traveled the US extensively since I was about 16.

I dont think it could make up its mind about me. I am pretty much from Florida but my parents are from opposite sides *north and south* so I guess it depends on the word! hehe

Your Result: The Midland

Boston? Freakin' BOSTON???? C'mon! I'm insulted and offended! Offended enough that my native Minnesotan is starting to come out!

Yeah it said I had a Boston accent. I'm from freaking south Florida! Boston is one of the few northern cities I've manged to NOT see!

It says Im from the Midland, with no discernable accent. This is true. Ive got to send this to Leah, she LOVES it when I make fun of her aboot her minnesootan accent.

I lived in Wyoming and Montana long enough to trick the test into believing I'm not from the South, apparently!

MIDLAND!!!

Funny, I have lived in the south all my life! :)

Where in Wisconsin?

There would be an easy question to identify that. "Do you know how to play, or have you ever played, the card game 'sheepshead'?"

Not all Wisconsinites play sheepshead, but it seems that everyone who plays sheepshead is either from Wisconsin or has an immediate family member in Wisconsin. I used to play on Yahoo Sheepshead a lot, and we'd always ask... "Where is everybody?"

The answers would go something like this:

"Sheboygan."
"Wausau."
"Fond du Lac."
"Well, I'm in Tennessee, but I grew up in Stevens Point."
"I'm from New Mexico, but my mom grew up in Rhinelander."

:rofl:

So, Sheri... Do you play sheepshead? Kate, do you? Pete, I know you do... And I do too. :yes:

Incidentally, I showed up as "The Midland" with "The Inland North" a close second. I've lived in Wisconsin my entire life, but the Milwaukee area has some distinct differences from the Madison area. Plus, I have a lot of southerners as friends and I've traveled the US extensively since I was about 16.

:no: I do not play Sheepshead, although I always wanted to learn. I remember aunts and uncles playing a lot, but we left WI when I was 10. Born in Milwaukee and lived in Sun Prairie and DuPere. Afraid the card game that we play here the most would place me as being from the Northeast since he kids and I got on a Canasta kick a few years back.

It says I'm from the West, which is right... was born and raised in Washington State, didn't move to Texas until 1998, y'all.

I lived all around the US and picked up accents from all over. Basically it could not figure out where I was from but I knew where almost all of the questions could have told me I was from.

It said I was midlands but also could be from Charleston or Florida. Florida would have been the right answer. The south was a close second.

Last edited:
Back