Where to go on a flying vacation & mandatory mask ?s

Cases in the US now squarely reside in the unvaccinated. They are the only ones continuing to spread the disease. In most cases, they are also the ones least likely to wear a mask in public.

Some point for reference. I just made a week-long trip by car from DC to the RDU area then to Eastern NC to visit friends. A few days in the RDU/Chapel Hill/Durham area, then a couple in eastern NC. For the most part, places I went had no masking rules. Two places (one a gas station/c-store, the other museum had signs for masks, but the signs were ignored. Across NC and Virginia, there was little mask usage (a handful of people wearing, but generally not - and no lectures heard), but in the DC and Richmond metro I saw more usage.

The hotel (affiliated with a major chain) had an indication on the web site that masks should be worn in common areas, but the front desk said that the governor had lifted the mandate and masks were not required if one was vaccinated.

My friend in Ashe County NC got back to me. She said most people aren’t wearing masks up there, some are but more aren’t.
We're not far from there at 0A9. 99% not wearing masks where we are (excluding employees compelled to and very few businesses that require it such as USPS, and even there many are not wearing masks).

I really wanted to take my wife on a flying vacation, making multiple stops across the country from Kansas to the east coast. I realize this is pretty open ended, but I am curious about suggestions from others about cool places a pilot, who may not make a trip like this again, ought to stop at, especially aviation related, but any "don't miss stop" suggestion would also be welcomed. I have never been to KFFA, so that would be my idea of a outbound destination, but would entertain suggestions for stops along the way and back that others have really enjoyed. My main concern is that my wife is somewhat hesitant because she is concerned about mandatory mask requirements, the ones issued by executive order, and she says she is so done with all of that. She had covid, (hers lasted a couple of days and was barely like a slight cold) and she has been vaccinated and just doesn't want to wear a mask anymore. It depresses her, and she doesn't even like to see others wearing them because it just makes her sad, and she doesn't want to be sad on vacation. For this reason alone I am a little hesitant to make this trip, but we might sell the airplane after this trip (if we go) and I may not ever get another chance at something like this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Fly to Galveston Texas. San Marcos area is a cool stop to or from. You can see the beach and there is great flying and golfing in Galveston. Not a mask in sight in Texas. Go to San Marcos and kayak a river or go tubing and do other site seeing. Hit up San Antonio and enjoy the river walk. There is plenty to do in on this side of the states with a plane and some time. No Mask to worry about.

Some point for reference. I just made a week-long trip by car from DC to the RDU area then to Eastern NC to visit friends. A few days in the RDU/Chapel Hill/Durham area, then a couple in eastern NC. For the most part, places I went had no masking rules. Two places (one a gas station/c-store, the other museum had signs for masks, but the signs were ignored. Across NC and Virginia, there was little mask usage (a handful of people wearing, but generally not - and no lectures heard), but in the DC and Richmond metro I saw more usage.

The hotel (affiliated with a major chain) had an indication on the web site that masks should be worn in common areas, but the front desk said that the governor had lifted the mandate and masks were not required if one was vaccinated.

Yes, it is rapidly changing. My sister in Raleigh just told me masks are fewer and fewer. I think OP can plan a trip and it will be okay, at least in NC is all I know. Unless things reverse themselves because of a “new variant”. But I get the idea people have had enough. About the time they started telling everyone to wear two masks, that seemed to be the point most people balked. I never saw a single double masked person.

Yes, it is rapidly changing. My sister in Raleigh just told me masks are fewer and fewer. I think OP can plan a trip and it will be okay, at least in NC is all I know. Unless things reverse themselves because of a “new variant”. But I get the idea people have had enough. About the time they started telling everyone to wear two masks, that seemed to be the point most people balked. I never saw a single double masked person.
I saw a few here in DC area. Not many, though. And i saw someone in pretty much full hazmat-like suiting in one store.

But yeah, it's pretty much gone away. Our county is well over 80% vaccinated.

Cases in the US now squarely reside in the unvaccinated. They are the only ones continuing to spread the disease. In most cases, they are also the ones least likely to wear a mask in public.

My experience has been that only the vaxxed are wearing masks.o_O

Back