Where is Henning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you except that Henning disseminated a LOT of bad information here pretending to be the expert on almost every topic raised. "Information" that could potentially get someone hurt if they followed his advice. Aviation, along with many other topics discussed here, are too serious of businesses to have misinformation gurus such as Henning polluting the stream of good knowledge.

I for one will not mourn his departure.

You are not alone in that sentiment.

We are losing some good posters,this bog can be,educational,recreational,and confrontational. A little bit of something for every one. You can always hit the ignore button .

You are not alone in that sentiment.

Yeah, it's the misinformation that bothers me. I have a very narrow range of stuff that I'm knowledgeable about, and Henning routinely got it at least somewhat wrong, if not completely. So it's hard not to conclude that it's the same across subjects that I know nothing about.

That said, I know nothing about him as a person. I have plenty of friends that I absolutely love having beers with, but wouldn't trust to teach a kindergarten class. He might be a great guy, but this is a board where many people come to get answers, and he does everyone a disservice when he pretends to know the answer to a question that is clearly beyond the boundaries of his experience.

We are losing some good posters,this bog can be,educational,recreational,and confrontational. A little bit of something for every one. You can always hit the ignore button .

Agreed.... BartMC, Geico, Hennings and other helped to create this stew we all call POA....

It takes multiple ingredients blended together to arrive at a tasty stew....
Leave out some content and the flavor ends up kinda bland..... IMHO....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Agreed.... BartMC, Geico, Hennings and other helped to create this stew we all call POA....

It takes multiple ingredients blended together to arrive at a tasty stew....
Leave out some content and the flavor ends up kinda bland..... IMHO....:rolleyes:
I agree. Henning was at least somewhat entertaining. I would prefer that to an expert that is a blowhard.

Henning is a legend in his own mind. He was entertaining, at times, but obviously pulling it outta his ass much of the time.

While I've not met him personally, a couple of friends have flown with him. They said they wouldn't do it again...

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

Not so sure that this thread puts either the forum or the MC in a very good light....

Not so sure that this thread puts either the forum or the MC in a very good light....

Eh. Henning himself has said that sometimes he deserves to be suspended.

(Note - this comment not intended to talk about an active suspension nor speculate on the suspension of any particular forum user)

:yeahthat:

Henning is a legend in his own mind. He was entertaining, at times, but obviously pulling it outta his ass much of the time.

While I've not met him personally, a couple of friends have flown with him. They said they wouldn't do it again...

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

I'm not sure I'd fly with someone who is fatalistic and apocalyptic.

Maybe when a poster has crossed the line, violated the rules a number of times and is a candidate for permanent ban, they should put it to a vote by running a poll amongst the general posters. Just an idea.

As to Henning the man, like i have said many times before, he is our crazy uncle that goes off and tells stories. Entertaining, tells some whoppers, and sometimes has a really good insight on something. Like the crazy uncle, sometimes he has too much to drink and gets belligerent, crosses lines and is embarrassing, but we love him anyhow. Just my opinion.

It was entertaining to watch him post a reply to a fairly new member about hydrogen or molecular biology or religion and you could almost see the pause like they were going ....

huh?

Henning's video from his most recent trip:

Last edited:

I think it puts them in a very good light. Most posts have avoided the forbidden topics of Henning's being banned and the reasons for same, and rather have focused on Henning himself. Thus the MC has let it continue. Measured responses score higher than a heavy hand any day, in my book.

Rich

I think it puts them in a very good light. Most posts have avoided the forbidden topics of Henning's being banned and the reasons for same, and rather have focused on Henning himself. Thus the MC has let it continue. Measured responses score higher than a heavy hand any day, in my book.

Rich

Did you hack into our private discussion threads? :)

I enjoyed his yarns/tales, but learned early on I had to separate the wheat from the chaff. :yes: :D

I agree. Henning was at least somewhat entertaining. I would prefer that to an expert that is a blowhard.

The entertainment has some value but not worth it for serious questions. Too bad he couldn't filter it down to a socially acceptable level...

The entertainment has some value but not worth it for serious questions. Too bad he couldn't filter it down to a socially acceptable level...

Anybody who has the competence to fly should be able to filter the flying related nonsense quickly. I've gotten what I'd call valuable flying tips from him that have helped immensely. Most people who read or can google can generally filter the rest. It's not just here that we run in to these kinds of people -- everywhere in the world we run in to folks who behave generally the same and we need to know how to filter it appropriately and verify that kind of information without blindly trusting.

It's not just here that we run in to these kinds of people -- everywhere in the world we run in to folks who behave generally the same and we need to know how to filter it appropriately and verify that kind of information without blindly trusting.

You must have met a couple of my former bosses. :wink2:

Cheers

socially acceptable is becoming rather vanilla around here. Its good to listen to people with different opinions.

socially acceptable is becoming rather vanilla around here. Its good to listen to people with different opinions.

0e5fd0091333b94cbde2f764970076238119d6a807e73edf1e4b86c9e85c2383.jpg

Lately, most of the content here seems to revolve around peoples cats or what they had to eat that day.

True story. My friend was renovating his Chinese restaurant and I stopped in to see how it coming along. He had a few boxes stacked on the floor in the dining room area, but the one that caught my eye was the moist cat food box. The box was missing a few cans. My friend doesn't have cats and as this was a rather busy shopping mall, there were no stray cats around. :yikes: I asked him about the cat food and he didn't know about it. It was in plain sight. I haven't eaten there since.:D

so, totally FNG, but I like having Henning's posts and hope he returns. I'd also love to see many others. I've gotten great value from Ted, Dr. O, Henning, Bob, Tom, James and many more and the community is poorer and less interesting without these people (many of whom are very different and approach decision making very differently). But that's the point. I can read the PHAK to get the book answer, but on here is where you can see a rich debate and disagreement amongst posters about some concept, plane, practice. THey may get mad at each other, but for me, as an avid reader and learner, I WANT lots of varied opinion on things that are opinions. Don't think that disagreement is a bad thing.

True story. My friend was renovating his Chinese restaurant and I stopped in to see how it coming along. He had a few boxes stacked on the floor in the dining room area, but the one that caught my eye was the moist cat food box. The box was missing a few cans. My friend doesn't have cats and as this was a rather busy shopping mall, there were no stray cats around. :yikes: I asked him about the cat food and he didn't know about it. It was in plain sight. I haven't eaten there since.:D

Friskies Buffet makes a darn tasty sandwich spread!! :wink2:

I remember that thread. I guess we all draw the line somewhere. I have two friends that I've known for 20+ years that, within the past 2 years, have made statements that made me lose a lot of respect for them.

It's unfortunate. I sometimes wonder if I'm the one in the wrong for setting the bar in my mind and then judging others for crossing it but I tend to agree with you; certain things can't be disregarded.

I remember exactly when and where I was when I read him brag that if and when he decided to commit suicide, he could take more with him than the German pilot in the Alps.

It actually caused a physical responses in me.

When confronted, he said he'd be doing his hapless passengers a favor with a quick and painless death.

At that point he went on permanent ignore. Even if joking, I don't need any spewings of a person like that in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back