When your neighbor is a meat cutter at Costco

I grilled up a nice strip last night, but yours already look better.

My son was a meat cutter at Costco some years ago. We ate some really good rib eyes. Costco tri tip is the best, with or without their house dry rub.

He's hooked us up with tri tip as well - it was very good. I did score another vacuum packed dry rub Raley's tri tip for this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised that they took pretty much all of the fat off, so I didn't have to trim any. A little fat is fine and it adds to the taste when it burns off, but big thick fat pads = flare up.

I was surprised once at a Costco. I was going to get a large rib roast and I asked the butcher if he could cut in 3. Just said... you have to buy the whole thing. I said I want the whole thing, but I'd like to cook it one third at a time. "we can't do that." WTF?

Was my request uncommon?

I was surprised once at a Costco. I was going to get a large rib roast and I asked the butcher if he could cut in 3. Just said... you have to buy the whole thing. I said I want the whole thing, but I'd like to cook it one third at a time. "we can't do that." WTF?

Was my request uncommon?
Should be a standard request. 1) It’s possible he still didn’t understand you wanted the whole thing, just cut into thirds. 2) It’s possible store policy prohibits custom trimming. 3) It’s possible he was too busy.

When I lived in Kotzebue I was friends with the meat cutter at Hanson's Trading Post, which was under the Safeway umbrella.

It was not unusual at all to come out to my truck and find some steaks, or ham, or chicken inside.

One time we came out to find a box full of frozen lobster tails. We were the talk of the town after the next pilot party....

(It's not a big town...)

Last edited:
Nice to see you eating something other than fast food!

What I like about the Costco here: they cut most of the steaks thick like that. About an inch-and-a-half for the last one I cooked.

My Mother used to like to order Spencer Steaks. More than thrice we had to inform the server what she meant.

The only nitpick I might have with those is they could be a tad more marbled.

But I’d never say a word to the neighbor and eat those in a heartbeat anyway.

Moooo is good eats!

Moooo is good eats!

Moooose is good eats as well....but unfortunately Costco not only doesn't deliver moose, they don't sell moose either....

bc1om5c9ue141.jpg

Sigh. This subject has been conversated on many times. On the west coast, grilling is a subset of BBQ.
I'll allow it.

The Sac does know the difference.

In some cultures the words are used somewhat interchangeably, even if the speaker knows the techniques are different. We must remain respectful and celebrate our differences.

DBB6DE64-6261-4F01-9021-27355B5D8E6F.jpeg

The NY Strip on the right is 1 1/2 inches thick, 1.87 lbs. I figure if I cook it about the same as the thin one and the chicken, it would be right for me.

Why does iPhone not fix it's image rotation problem. It's been an issues for years. I elected to take a landscape photo of the above steaks vs. the portrait would would have been nicer, vs wasting time trying to correct the rotation.

but yeah.

Lucky’s, Choice Chuck Eye Steak. $6.99 lb for those of us who can’t cut the zip tie on the wallet.

Lucky’s, Choice Chuck Eye Steak. $6.99 lb for those of us who can’t cut the zip tie on the wallet.

The butcher at Foodland in Princeville, HI turned us on to that cut a number of years ago. Marinate it in teriyaki sauce or something similar, then throw it on the grill until cooked as desired. Makes for a very tender, tasty steak.

One more reason to let California secede from the union, lol.
In the Northeast, BBQ is a cooking appliance. Imagine my confusion when going to a real BBQ place in East Texas for the first time. "Yes, I see it says BBQ sandwich... but BBQ'd what?"

In Texas, it could be BBQ'd anything.

In NC, BBQ (without qualification) is PORK. If it's something other than pork, it will say what it is (e.g., barbecued chicken). It still means slow-cooked over a smokey fire.

You can BBQ steak-like things. My neighbor (who even exceeds my skills and equipment) smoked four whole beef tenderloins (and then finished them at high heat to do the edges). They were heavenly.

In Texas, it could be BBQ'd anything.

In NC, BBQ (without qualification) is PORK. If it's something other than pork, it will say what it is (e.g., barbecued chicken). It still means slow-cooked over a smokey fire.

You can BBQ steak-like things. My neighbor (who even exceeds my skills and equipment) smoked four whole beef tenderloins (and then finished them at high heat to do the edges). They were heavenly.
Now that I'm a permanent resident of Texas (20+ years), I can say absolutely when they say BBQ here, it means beef "Brisket" and "Ribs" mean pork ribs. Other meats are more specifically called out. IMHO grilling a prime steak is the only way to cook it and BBQ'ing or smoking it is blasphemy.

Now that I'm a permanent resident of Texas (20+ years), I can say absolutely when they say BBQ here, it means beef "Brisket" and "Ribs" mean pork ribs. Other meats are more specifically called out.

In KC, BBQ is the generic term. You can have brisket, pork, pork ribs, or chicken (the big 4) at a bbq joint. Anything else is "smoked". You can have a smoked turkey, smoked beef tenderloin (outstanding, by the way), smoked pork tenderloin (AKA pig candy), smoked pork loin, smoked hot dogs (surprisingly good). But BBQ is only going to be the big 4.

When I went on a business trip to southern VA, I stopped at a bbq place for dinner my first night. The menu board said, "BBQ sandwich", "BBQ platter", "BBQ <whatever>". So I did the out-of-towner thing and asked, "What kind of BBQ?", and the poor girl behind the counter didn't have an answer other than, "The BBQ kind of BBQ?" (pork).

IMHO grilling a prime steak is the only way to cook it and BBQ'ing or smoking it is blasphemy.
3f2.jpeg

To bring this back to flying.... In Texas, we aren't too excited at the prospect of a $100 hamburger, but fly for the best BBQ in the Republic? - priceless!

Now that I'm a permanent resident of Texas (20+ years), I can say absolutely when they say BBQ here, it means beef "Brisket" and "Ribs" mean pork ribs. Other meats are more specifically called out. IMHO grilling a prime steak is the only way to cook it and BBQ'ing or smoking it is blasphemy.
Actually, I don't do either for steaks. I sous vide them and then I finish them in butter an evoo in a very hot cast iron skillet.

Agreed. Tri tip, however, is normally grilled, but it can be smoked, as long as you don't smoke it more than medium rare on the inside. We have a local mini chain that does it that way, and it comes out awesome.

Back