When your neighbor is a meat cutter at Costco

You know that loose-grain muscle section on the outside edge of a prime rib roast? That.

Sounds yummy but it would be a blasphemy to eat it without the inner section.

IMHO grilling a prime steak is the only way to cook it and BBQ'ing or smoking it is blasphemy.

I bought a whole rib eye once and did not have it cut. I took it home and smoked it for about 4 hours at about 160 degrees or so until the internal temp was about 120. I pulled it out and then cut it up. it was medium rare and probably the best steak I ever had. I can still taste it in my mind and that was 3 years ago. I spend all my extra money on flying now. I am getting a little tired of baloney.

I bought a whole rib eye once and did not have it cut. I took it home and smoked it for about 4 hours at about 160 degrees or so until the internal temp was about 120. I pulled it out and then cut it up. it was medium rare and probably the best steak I ever had. I can still taste it in my mind and that was 3 years ago. I spend all my extra money on flying now. I am getting a little tired of baloney.

I actually like my ribeye in the form of prime rib better than sliced ribeye steaks. Less fat. But yes, in a proper smoker prime rib is the bomb. I've tried pulling it off in the Weber but there was too much burning fat and a nasty burnt fat smoke taste. A little burnt fat is good. A lot, not so much.

Back