When is entry completed?

For what it's worth, I got report established in the hold last week. I find the phraseology confusing.
I don't understand your confusion. Did you need to request clarification? The definition I lifted from the P/C Glossary, above, says "fixed" "at or on" and "etc.", among the options for usage of the term "established". A holding pattern is a fixed position, so when you cross the fix with an intention to remain there you are established. No?

I don't understand your confusion. Did you need to request clarification? The definition I lifted from the P/C Glossary, above, says "fixed" "at or on" and "etc.", among the options for usage of the term "established". A holding pattern is a fixed position, so when you cross the fix with an intention to remain there you are established. No?
I refer back to the posts before and many other posts on the internet. Is it when you first cross the fix or is it after you've crossed the fix after your first inbound leg? I think from now on I'm just going with first crossing of the fix. During my training I was always under the impression that I hadn't established the hold until crossing the fix after my first inbound leg

...I was always under the impression that I hadn't established the hold until crossing the fix after my first inbound leg
Ah! You hadn't established a wind correction angle until then, but for ATC purposes you were established, i.e., "parked" in a holding pattern for other traffic.

I've gotten "report established in the hold" a few times, and it did confuse me and I got it wrong. The last guy who did it asked me if I was in the hold yet, I told him I was completing my entry, he said nothing, I figured it out. Now, if asked, I report crossing the fix, entering the hold.

“Report established in the house.”
Are you established when you cross through the door into the foyer, or do you have to walk into the living room before you’re established?

“Report established in the house.”
Are you established when you cross through the door into the foyer, or do you have to walk into the living room before you’re established?
I would report after I've closed the door behind me, removed my shoes, unloaded my bags and emptied my pockets.

But strangely enough, I've never found "report established in the hold" to be confusing. I always reported after crossing the fix and nobody's complained.

I would report after I've closed the door behind me, removed my shoes, unloaded my bags and emptied my…(deleted too much.)
That’s why I didn’t add those things…ATC really isn’t expecting you to use your pee bottle, take a couple of sips of water, and readjust your seat belts before you consider yourself established. Once you cross the fix you are established.

One time I completely botched a hold entry and made my turns the wrong way. Was I established? :D

Btw, ATC never complained.

IR training puts so much emphasis on "proper" entry into holding patterns but the reality is ATC doesn't give a hoot how you enter a hold. They only care that you remain within the protected airspace until cleared otherwise.

Ah! You hadn't established a wind correction angle until then, but for ATC purposes you were established, i.e., "parked" in a holding pattern for other traffic.
FWIW, there was a time when having completed the entry and crossing the Fix a second time could be a required report for separation of traffic. There used to be Reduction Areas on Holding Pattern Templates. If an aircraft arrived at the Fix from certain directions, they could be used immediately. If not, after completing entry and crossing the Fix a second time, the Reduction Area could be used. It wasn’t all that many years ago they got rid of Reduction Areas. I couldn’t find a pic of one. @aterpster , do you have one? I did find this fun pic while looking

upload_2021-9-11_11-52-49.jpeg

FWIW, there was a time when having completed the entry and crossing the Fix a second time could be a required report for separation of traffic. There used to be Reduction Areas on Holding Pattern Templates. If an aircraft arrived at the Fix from certain directions, they could be used immediately. If not, after completing entry and crossing the Fix a second time, the Reduction Area could be used. It wasn’t all that many years ago they got rid of Reduction Areas. I couldn’t find a pic of one. @aterpster , do you have one? I did find this fun pic while looking

View attachment 99946
End area reductions aren't used for holding patterns on IAPs. It is used on STARs when ATC needs to conserve airspace in high-traffic areas, but the holding pattern has to be on the arrival course. In a few cases in the Washington, New York areas they use 200 knots above 6,000 in tight airspace.

End area reductions aren't used for holding patterns on IAPs. It is used on STARs when ATC needs to conserve airspace in high-traffic areas, but the holding pattern has to be on the arrival course. In a few cases in the Washington, New York areas they use 200 knots above 6,000 in tight airspace.
I wasn’t talking about reduced speeds to make the planes take up less space. That will allow a smaller pattern to be used. What I’m talking about is what looked like this. But tell me more about these “end area reductions” in use now. Reference?

upload_2021-9-11_13-1-53.png

I wasn’t talking about reduced speeds to make the planes take up less space. That will allow a smaller pattern to be used. What I’m talking about is what looked like this. But tell me more about these “end area reductions” in use now. Reference?

View attachment 99948
That

View attachment 99948
That's an end area reduction. I mentioned that in my previous answer.

That

That's an end area reduction. I mentioned that in my previous answer.
Found it. https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...y-a-holding-pattern.90027/page-4#post-2010323 post #136. There was another thread where you told me all reference to reduction areas had been been removed and no longer applied. I verified that in the Order that covered Holding. Now it appears the End Reductions are still, or should that be again, a thing. What is the reference to that?

Found it. https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...y-a-holding-pattern.90027/page-4#post-2010323 post #136. There was another thread where you told me all reference to reduction areas had been been removed and no longer applied. I verified that in the Order that covered Holding. Now it appears the End Reductions are still, or should that be again, a thing. What is the reference to that?
Here is the current order. Where do you get the idea they are still "a thing?"end area.jpg

View attachment 99946
I see this as a Christmastime TV commercial... a six-pack nestled in with beautifully wrapped presents and adorned with a bow under a Christmas tree. Order here: Black Raven Brewing Co. Tell 'em Santa sent ya.

View attachment 99946
Found when Reduction Areas went away. March 2016. So it wasn’t that long ago that reports of being established may have been required. Here’s what it said then:

a. When aircraft enter the holding area from directions other than described in paragraph 2-23, protection of the fix end reduction area may be discontinued after entry is completed and the holding aircraft is established in a racetrack pattern.
b. When aircraft enter the holding area from directions other than described in paragraph 2-24, protection of numbered area 4 may be discontinued after the holding aircraft initially becomes established on the inbound holding course, subsequent to entry.

Back