What's your shortest flight?

GreatLakesFlying

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leo
This morning I read a CNN article on "World's shortest airline routes", and I thought I'd ask here what's the shortest flight you flew as PIC?

For me, it is the 06C-KDPA hop, at 8 NM. It usually takes me closer to 15 NM to get there, to allow time to clear the pattern at 06C, obtain ATIS from KDPA, contact the tower, and enter the D-class space.

BPK -> 3M0

Correction.

FLP -> 3M0

UUU to OQU is my shortest (7nm)

I regularly fly between CPK and PVG which is 9 nm

Last edited:
Inadvertent lift off testing the Fairchild.

This morning I read a CNN article on "World's shortest airline routes", and I thought I'd ask here what's the shortest flight you flew as PIC?

For me, it is the 06C-KDPA hop, at 8 NM. It usually takes me closer to 15 NM to get there, to allow time to clear the pattern at 06C, obtain ATIS from KDPA, contact the tower, and enter the D-class space.

KSJC - KRHV. 5 nm.
I go there to fly Young Eagles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vancouver to Portland......................1.99 miles
CBbkqq.jpg

Last edited:
PAJN -- PAJN, About 3 minutes. Spring for cam lock fastener for oil fill access was weak and the panel popped open. Panel flapping in the wind, one lap in the pattern. Took about an hour to drive home, pick up a new fastener and the tool to install the cam lock.

Wasn't PIC, but as a passenger....about 1100' in my pal's Fiesler Storch. Too far to taxi to the cut off where we could clear the main taxiway, so we took off and flew to the cut off.
Got the follow me truck guys a little excited!

From my house to work is just under a 10nm flight, though between preflight and the hangar/dock end of the day it's less time to drive.

KFAR-D54 ... barely leaving the Delta

From Bethel, AK to the village of Napaskiak. The Class D has a cut out to keep the airport out of the airspace. The control tower for Bethel can be seen while on the ground at Napaskiak. Do not confuse the village of Napaskiak with the village of Napakiak.

That was the shortest scheduled flight.

From Bethel, AK to the village of Napaskiak. The Class D has a cut out to keep the airport out of the airspace. The control tower for Bethel can be seen while on the ground at Napaskiak. Do not confuse the village of Napaskiak with the village of Napakiak.

That was the shortest scheduled flight.

Been to all of the above.

Nothing like building time in Alaska, 5 minutes at a time.....

Or spending 20 minutes loading the plane full of Pepsi for a 5 minute flight....

My single once around first solo.

KBDQ-KBDQ

Distance.... 0. Took off, engine burbled, set it down.

I flew from HFD to Rentschler Field which was Pratt & Whitney’s private airport literally just on the other side of the Connecticut River. 1.5 miles

Last edited:
CMA to OXR - barely need to turn the airplane. Heh!

I’m about to fly 8nm to reposition the plane from KSEE (Gillespie) to KMYF (Montgomery) after avionics updates. The whole thing will take an hour and a half I’m sure with driving to one airport, preflight, flight, putting her away in the hangar, Uber to original airport then drive home. But the flight will be short!

The drop off flight was a whopping 6 minutes and I was at 50% power!
E3A91C5C-EB8A-4B1A-B98A-2B7796E4C7DE.png

KVKX --> W32 with a dead alternator.

Skyvector says 1.1nm

Last edited:
I69-I69. Forgot to shut the door in a Cherokee after a free hot dog at Sporty’s.

Cheers

KHTW --> KHTS, from the original to the new, jet age commercial field for Huntington, WV. It's right on 4 nm.

Now in Alabama, I routinely fly 41A --> 06A, a whoping 10.4nm, for fuel. When the FBO is open, it's full service only ($3.65 last Saturday).

KVKX --> W32 with a dead alternator.

Ditto, but did the opposite, calm quiet early morning, rwy05 to rwy24, just high enough to clear the power lines. No, I did not call Potomac airborne.

Took off with the door open, had enough runway so landed again. Haha.

Per the FAR 1.1 definition: started engine, failed run-up, shut down.

Khsv-Khua, if the winds are calm I can take off of 36R and turn to enter a right base for 17. They used to have a fly in lunch for club members.

I also took off of 18L and had a door open. I put it back down and told myself my head was not in the game and parked it.

Door open should not count. It should be to another airport.

KABI to Elmdale. 2.6nm

Shortest by time was about 20 seconds. Engine stumbled on takeoff when I was less than 50' up, I pulled power dropped the flaps and set back down.

Shortest to another airport 5.4nm K1K1 to KAAO.

Learned to fly out of Palm Beach, but the school did all the initial crash and goes at Lantana, about 5 nm.

It is a Tie between two flights. I have done a test flight in a Schreder HP14 and a Schreder HP11, Both flights were an auto tow. Lifted about 8 feet off the ground, Checked all the controls and flew the length of the mile long runway. Then turned it over the owner to fly. These two aircraft I have a total time in my log book of 0.1 hours.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

1B1 to NY1 - 5nm to practice landings on a turf field.

Since we are counting aborts, LGB-LGB. Just after I got off the ground, my CFI did a simulated engine out during my multi training. Had plenty of runway left so I set it back down.

If we aren't counting those, then NC26-14A. That's from Long Island Airpark where @flyingron is based to Lake Norman Airport where I am based. 4.5 nm.

Though some of the lakes I hopped around in WI during my seaplane rating might have been closer together than that.

Back