What would you do

No turning back now.
Well, technically, you could ask them to build you a new panel exactly like the old one and put everything back into it. But yeah, don't let us catch you trying to do that. Congratulations on reaching this stage. The rest is pure excitement.

Well, technically, you could ask them to build you a new panel exactly like the old one and put everything back into it. But yeah, don't let us catch you trying to do that. Congratulations on reaching this stage. The rest is pure excitement.
I've been accused of being a moron but never an idiot.

Fantastic.

I loathe avionics installation prices almost as much as Garmin margins. No matter how scary, people can tackle it :)

b253da513d72d511dd4d2a8b9a973ba0.jpg

0a0246a36c0615775cbfc3cbabfc9fbb.jpg

I picked up a GTN650, a PMA8000BT, had an SL30, and a GTX345. I think it took me about two mornings and evenings to build this harness; the GtX had the plug in encoder, and after all was said and done, I think I paid less for the stack than some people pay to install a similar bundle. Everything was wax cord tied, shrink wrap labeled and had service loops…

I encourage people to work with their IA to do assisted installs when possible - and I’m happy to show people how. I don’t know why I find making harnesses somewhat therapeutic…:) I know labeling an encoder was overkill - it was my first one years ago - but it illustrates the labeled shrink wrap.

fc4cce0e74b93781e61d9579e8c51151.jpg

4a741f95294e90c748bf98795c2ce2ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic.

I loathe avionics installation prices almost as much as Garmin margins. No matter how scary, people can tackle it :)

b253da513d72d511dd4d2a8b9a973ba0.jpg

0a0246a36c0615775cbfc3cbabfc9fbb.jpg

I picked up a GTN650, a PMA8000BT, had an SL30, and a GTX345. I think it took me about two mornings and evenings to build this harness; the GtX had the plug in encoder, and after all was said and done, I think I paid less for the stack than some people pay to install a similar bundle. Everything was wax cord tied, shrink wrap labeled and had service loops…

I encourage people to work with their IA to do assisted installs when possible - and I’m happy to show people how. I don’t know why I find making harnesses somewhat therapeutic…:) I know labeling an encoder was overkill - it was my first one years ago - but it illustrates the labeled shrink wrap.

fc4cce0e74b93781e61d9579e8c51151.jpg

4a741f95294e90c748bf98795c2ce2ae.jpg

The encoder was Gray code and not RS232?

Or did really enjoy the fabrication process that much? :D

Is the red/green insulation indicative of anything? Can't say I've seen that.

The encoder was one of a million harnesses I did early on. I prefer the built on encoders, or the one with built in rs232’s like the Sandias or the little transcal’s.

Teflex / 27259 milspec avionics wire comes in a zillion colors beyond boring white. I buy it off eBay cheaply at times when it’s surplus. Nothing in 43.13-1b states much about wiring color that candy cane wire would disagree with. I used the striped wire for data lines.

I prefer the built on encoders, or the one with built in rs232’s like the Sandias or the little transcal’s.
I think we're just about at the point where any connection between any given pair of devices is just 1 or 2 wires per direction of dataflow (audio, RS232, ARINC429, CANBUS, HSDB/Ethernet).

That's some of the best panel I've seen right up until you had an iPad. Never ever use an Apple.

Nice panel! Curious - I don't see a second CDI for the 2nd Nav/Com radio?

Nice panel! Curious - I don't see a second CDI for the 2nd Nav/Com radio?
Since Neal is still in the air, I'll add that in addition to the the built in cdi on the 255, I'm pretty sure it's also interfaced with the g5. So he could display either it or the gtn, but not both at the same time, as I understand it.

Since Neal is still in the air, I'll add that in addition to the the built in cdi on the 255, I'm pretty sure it's also interfaced with the g5. So he could display either it or the gtn, but not both at the same time, as I understand it.
Correct. The G5 HSI can switch between NAV sources and the GFC500 can follow either source based on what is chosen on the HSI.

Back