What was the first song you listened to while flying?

StevieTimes

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
StevieTimes
As a new car driver, I'm sure the instructor doesn't crank up Iron Maiden on your "maiden" voyage.

At some point in time, you listened to the radio in the car, as driving became more routine.

What was the first song you ever heard while flying?

Mine was this:

I'm not even sure why it was this song. My instructor and I were on the long instrument training cross country in a 152 aerobat. The wind was whipping along pretty good. We were pretty much getting passed by the cars on the highway below.

I was just watching the instruments, scanning, and not much changing. It had been quiet for awhile, we were on the way home, and it had been a long trip. Out of nowhere, this song comes over our headphones! He had some kind of music contraption that he had just plugged in.

I smiled and continued my scan. I remarked how cool that was afterward, but we only listened to that one song, maybe one more, and that was it. It was a good feeling, like bonding or whatever, like he no longer felt like he had to "instruct" me for a while, and we could just relax for a few minutes. It was still all business in the flying, but suddenly "casual" in our relationship, or whatever.

No idea why he picked that, maybe he was searching his iPod for anything he thought was from my age range or whatever, like the Ace of Bass guy on South Park.

Anyone else remember their first?

Last edited:
"Seas of cheese" by Primus, listened to the whole album

Technically the first thing I listen to while flying was Rush Limbaugh when I realized I could pick up AM radio stations with that whatchamacallit.

Lol South Park is always hilarious

There once was (may still be) a podcast called the Finer Points of Flying. It was put on by a guy who went on to be one of the founders of ForeFlight. At about the time it came out, I was working on my IFR and in one podcast, he suggested a good instrument scan is about the beat of "Stayin Alive". So that was the first song I listened to in the plane and it runs through my head to this day in IMC. You all now share my curse.

I listened to a little KOA until the ADF was deleted. Finally started using the iPhone to play music years later. All the songs were cd rips from my ancient collection. Lots of Springsteen, some Enya (which really works IFR), some zztop even some zep. Call my music tastes eclectic.

Haven't done it yet, unless you count the Tejano radio station my radio inexplicably started picking up. In which case it was "Bidi bidi bom bom". Quite possibly the only Tejano song I could have identified by name.

"Seas of cheese" by Primus, listened to the whole album

My friend has a "private joke" about "Jerry was a race car driver".

He races motocross, and runs the number 442. He has a sticker on his rear fender that says "Hank", like this:
hank-williams-jr-t-shirt-bocephus-concert-band-vintage-tee-shirt-11.jpg

Any guesses as to what he would do just for fun?

I was out practicing Lazy 8's in preparation for my commercial check ride. I was 17 years old. There was a beautiful sunset & I had the ADF tuned to a local rock station. Elton John's song "Don't let the sun go down on me" came on.

I still remember it as if it were yesterday whenever I hear that song.

My friend has a "private joke" about "Jerry was a race car driver".

He races motocross, and runs the number 442. He has a sticker on his rear fender that says "Hank", like this:
hank-williams-jr-t-shirt-bocephus-concert-band-vintage-tee-shirt-11.jpg

Any guesses as to what he would do just for fun?
He must light em' up. He'd better watch the Alcohol, and telephone poles.

Light 'em up.

Tell him to watch out for telephone poles.

Nauga,
and his dic-tionary

Correct.

I don't think many people know about bocephus, and if they did, they wouldn't get the "joke".

Instead, I bet many believe his name is Hank, and he just has a fancy sticker with his own name on it.

Although not a big fan of his dad, I know of Bocephus, met him once . Down to Earth, nice guy who loved his Jack Daniels. Born to Boogie is one of my favorites.

No clue except it was something the ADF picked up on 700 WLW Cincinnati which used to have the wattage to cause an EMP over the entire globe. Was called the "Nation's Station" since it could be heard everywhere.

Cheers

Danger Zone is the only correct answer.

At least for those of us who got our certificates this century :goofy:

Never Ending Story by Limahl, played by my first flying date, in a vintage Cub taildragger, in the pure, clean, rainbowed sky after a storm. Had forgotten ... in fact, had forgotten that Limahl ever existed. Thanks for the memory. :lol::lol::lol:

"We're All Gonna Die" by the Screaming Pax

First lesson listened to "Learning to fly" tom petty. First solo listened to "danger zone".

I've never listened to music while flying. But I remember It's the End of the World coming on during my first driving lesson. My sister (who was teaching me) and I laughed... nervously.

As a new car driver, I'm sure the instructor doesn't crank up Iron Maiden on your "maiden" voyage.

At some point in time, you listened to the radio in the car, as driving became more routine.

What was the first song you ever heard while flying?

Mine was this:

I'm not even sure why it was this song. My instructor and I were on the long instrument training cross country in a 152 aerobat. The wind was whipping along pretty good. We were pretty much getting passed by the cars on the highway below.

I was just watching the instruments, scanning, and not much changing. It had been quiet for awhile, we were on the way home, and it had been a long trip. Out of nowhere, this song comes over our headphones! He had some kind of music contraption that he had just plugged in.

I smiled and continued my scan. I remarked how cool that was afterward, but we only listened to that one song, maybe one more, and that was it. It was a good feeling, like bonding or whatever, like he no longer felt like he had to "instruct" me for a while, and we could just relax for a few minutes. It was still all business in the flying, but suddenly "casual" in our relationship, or whatever.

No idea why he picked that, maybe he was searching his iPod for anything he thought was from my age range or whatever, like the Ace of Bass guy on South Park.

Anyone else remember their first?
Uh, actually my first song in the plane WAS by Iron Maiden.

I suspect his first song in the plane was by Iron Maiden...

"Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood

I bought an old Sony Walkman at a flee market and found a George Thorogood tape in an old car I bought.

Back