What was going on with United at IAD this morning?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Watched two UAL jets almost in a row at Dulles go from 'line up and wait' to 'we need exit the runway to clear a flight control problem'

Wouldn't have thought much about it except that two different aircraft right after each other had the same problem right in the middle of a big push.

What kind of airplanes?

One was a 737. Other was either a Bus or might have been one of the larger Embraers.

I fly the 737. Can't imagine what kind of flight control problem comes up right before takeoff. We do the check after push/before taxi. That's also when the flaps/slats are set for takeoff.

I fly the 737. Can't imagine what kind of flight control problem comes up right before takeoff. We do the check after push/before taxi. That's also when the flaps/slats are set for takeoff.
No clue, that's just what they told tower. I suspect it was more of an FMS issue/discrepancy than physical controls. Neither aircraft asked to go back to the gate, just exit the runway to 'sort it out'

Takeoff Config warning? Instead of sorting on the runway, maybe pulling off to run through the possibilities? Can't imagine a flight control malfunction (that typically requires mx action) that can be remedied in the time it takes to clear and get back in line for departure.

Kinda interesting 2 in a row, though!

Takeoff Config warning?
Takeoff config is checked prior to entering the runway.

Waiting for final numbers.
They never would have accepted the line-up-and-wait if they didn't have final numbers. Too much to do after they arrive.

Some airlines call Dispatch "Flight Control" but that term is usually only used internally...
Nope. Three airlines ago it was "flight control", though. LOL

My guess would be a bad takeoff config or failure. I've had a sensor fail on me at throttle up.

"Takeoff FLAPS"

Uhh.... They're set....

"Takeoff FLAPS"

"Sigh..."

It kinda reminded me of the Eastern Airlines antics in the late 80s. United having any union problems?

Back