What to do when the weather sucks?

Will Kumley

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Will
Just curious what any of you normally do when the weather keeps you from flying? My checkride seems to be indefinitely on hold as the weather prevents me from getting the plane in the sky anytime I'm scheduled to fly. I wish I could say this means I'll be more prepared for my checkride but there is only so much studying I can do for the oral portion of the checkride and honestly, I feel like I have a solid grasp on that portion. I feel like I'm ready for the flying portion but fear that all this down time will not help me. So far the checkride has been rescheduled 3 times. twice for DPE availability and the most recent time because weather in Bremerton was crap. It was beautiful at the checkride location but there was no way to safely get airborne and head that way so I had to call it.

Good time to read up on various tricks involving Illuminati, Free Masons, and apparently a guy who will make the weather good for you for only a few hundred dollars.
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...olling-the-weather.123136/page-2#post-2847211

I'm looking at my third weather check ride delay tomorrow, as the TAF is headed to LOW IFR. Couldn't be even "Marginal VFR" to offer a delusional glimmer of hope. I think Mother Nature is taunting me.

Haha, also in PacNW, I think you're describing "October through March" :D

I changed the oil on the plane today, just cuz. Engineered a way-too-complicated catch-pan under the vise so I can do filter cuts in a pleasing way. Longed for when I was based at Corona and aircraft spruce's warehouse was just down the street. It sucks waiting for mail order of every ****snack part a plane could stand to have replaced, because I never remember to order up eeeeeeverything.

It wasn't even raining today so I was able to run the motors and leak-check properly.

Good time to read up on various tricks involving Illuminati, Free Masons, and apparently a guy who will make the weather good for you for only a few hundred dollars.
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...olling-the-weather.123136/page-2#post-2847211

I'm looking at my third weather check ride delay tomorrow, as the TAF is headed to LOW IFR. Couldn't be even "Marginal VFR" to offer a delusional glimmer of hope. I think Mother Nature is taunting me.
Yep, saw your post earlier this week. Seems like the guy that wants our money for good weather doesn’t really want our money. it’s hard to find good help nowadays!

Haha, also in PacNW, I think you're describing "October through March" :D

I changed the oil on the plane today, just cuz. Engineered a way-too-complicated catch-pan under the vise so I can do filter cuts in a pleasing way. Longed for when I was based at Corona and aircraft spruce's warehouse was just down the street. It sucks waiting for mail order of every ****snack part a plane could stand to have replaced, because I never remember to order up eeeeeeverything.

It wasn't even raining today so I was able to run the motors and leak-check properly.
Yep, it’s the PAC Norwest for sure. No rain here either but ceilings of 500 ft at Bremerton where I fly out of. Jefferson County looked decent though and it was my plan to fly up there as that’s the location of my checkride when it does happen.

Yep, it’s the PAC Norwest for sure. No rain here either but ceilings of 500 ft at Bremerton where I fly out of. Jefferson County looked decent though and it was my plan to fly up there as that’s the location of my checkride when it does happen.

We got WX'ed twice for a checkride on a student of mine. We ended up going way out to Pasco to get decent WX for the ride. Lemme know if you want a referral to the examiner out there, he was a decent dude and not as slammed as the local guys.

Yep, saw your post earlier this week. Seems like the guy that wants our money for good weather doesn’t really want our money. it’s hard to find good help nowadays!

Working on it. I’ve been swamped with holiday orders. Remember you have zero risk! You won’t owe me a dime until I get results!

We got WX'ed twice for a checkride on a student of mine. We ended up going way out to Pasco to get decent WX for the ride. Lemme know if you want a referral to the examiner out there, he was a decent dude and not as slammed as the local guys.
At this point I still need to get off the ground in Bremerton. Should hear from the DPE tomorrow to see when the next prospective date is. Then Half Fast needs to get through his holiday orders.

Last edited:
Go up into the clouds with an instructor and get some real experience in IMC. Way better than the hood work you’ve done. It will be eye-opening, and a good start to instrument training.

Keep studying. Chair fly emergencies, procedures, study for the oral. There’s always something you can look over.

Go up into the clouds with an instructor and get some real experience in IMC. Way better than the hood work you’ve done. It will be eye-opening, and a good start to instrument training.
The piper I’m training in isn’t ifr rated and my instructor doesn’t want me learning a new plane so close to my checkride. Otherwise I’d be doing this for sure.

I've been arm chair flying lately. We had a beautiful 2 weeks of clear and light wind but with the holidays and work, I only got up a couple times. This weekend it was all 1/2SM OVC003 M02/M02.

I've been arm chair flying lately. We had a beautiful 2 weeks of clear and light wind but with the holidays and work, I only got up a couple times. This weekend it was all 1/2SM OVC003 M02/M02.
Armchair flying for me as well. Weather cleared up slightly this weekend, not enough for me to head up to the airport I plan to do my checkride. Forecast all weekend called for today to be the best of the three days and I made sure to have the plane reserved. Turns out today is the worst day with 2 miles visibility and broken clouds at 600 ft. That's the official AWOS report at my airport. Looking out my house windows at an elevation of 400ish ft I see nothing but fog and 2 miles visibility is wishful thinking. Even turned on X-plane 11 so I could practice the route I think I'll end up doing on my checkride but the game does nothing to prepare me for the actual flight in my opinion so its a bit unnerving...

Back