What to do about Neighbors...

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Sort of at my wits end.

I like to think I live in a nice neighborhood.
It is sort of the outback steakhouse of neighborhoods.
We used to live in the Applebees of neighborhoods and fortune smiled upon us (Actually Dave Ramsey smiled upon us) and we upgraded to a very quite place in the middle of nowhere.

I have 3 neighbors that are total loud jackazzes and 1 where it has gone too far.

Teen kids that park up and down the street and are loud all night and in the morning, I take a walk and this is what I see in MY yard!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20151220_083517.jpg
    20151220_083517.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 704
  • 20151220_083501.jpg
    20151220_083501.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 694
  • 20151220_083445.jpg
    20151220_083445.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 695
  • 20151220_083308.jpg
    20151220_083308.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 691
I am going to start putting the trash on their cars or something.

They just toss their trash in this area between my fence and the street.

Who the heck just throws crap like this down on the ground?
What a bunch of nasty lazy f**ks

Have you spoken with them?

I just got a pair of tongs and picked up the condom (Ugh it was used)
and put it under the windshield wiper of the car parked in front of their house.

And threw the tongs in the trash.

Have you spoken with them?

She is a total "C"

single mom w/ ~8-ish kids of varying ages.
They have parties every weekend. They love to knock on my door and run because I am so close and on the corner.

I suspect she is the "cool mom" where the young kids come to party because she lets them have alcohol.

She is a total "C"

single mom w/ ~8-ish kids of varying ages.
They have parties every weekend. They love to knock on my door and run because I am so close and on the corner.

I suspect she is the "cool mom" where the young kids come to party because she lets them have alcohol.

Have a word with her with a few of your larger friends standing around, tell her it would be nice if everyone could respect everyone, perhaps ask if she believes CPS would find this a healthy environment for children, she probably doesn't own the property, try contacting the owner too.

Knock on your door? Go over and knock on their door and tell them politely to stop throwing garbage in your yard, keep the noise down, and grow up. Don't comply? Call the police every time. Throw a bottle in your yard again? Empty your trashbags on their front lawn. Ok, that last one may be too far and childish, but sounded good.

Last edited:
Knock on your door? Go over and knock on their door and tell them politely to stop throwing garbage in your yard, keep the noise down, and grow up. Don't comply? Call the police every time. Throw a bottle in your yard again? Empty your trashbags on their front lawn. Ok, that last one may be too far and childish, but sounded good.
Skip the other stuff. It won't work. Once she gets a citation or two for serving minors, it will stop.

I'd just pick it up, sigh a few times, and let it go. Engaging in a battle with those that have no standards is not something that typically goes well.

The problem will eliminate itself with time.

I know it's different, but we have a zero tolerance attitude with sort of behavior -- and you should, too.

Now, obviously you can't throw them out, like I can -- but you have many weapons at your disposal. Some of them are legal:

1. Noise complaints to the owner of the property.
2. Noise complaints ON the owner of the property to the police.
3. Face to face discussion with the renter, with clear consequences spelled out.
4. Clean up the mess, place in box, present to woman and/or property owner.

Then, of course, there are many quasi-legal and illegal retaliatory measures you can take -- but you already know most of them.

Good luck. Dealing with asshats like this is never fun.

Although the right of way is free for all to use or trash, the property owner usually has the honor of cleaning it up. With as many ****at neighbors as you described you will be quickly outnumbered. Work smarter. Use plausible deniability. Surreptitiously, carelessly spill a box of tacks in the gutter along your property line. Only go out to pick up when the cars are retrieved or the idiots have their parents arrive to change their tires. Blame the tacks on the same a$$ holes that trashed your property. ;)

"Here I pondered on the events of the last few days, and, strangely enough, instead of feeling rested from sitting or lying down, I now began to feel jaded and worn; but a hot meal of venison stew soon put me right, so that I could sleep. As drowsiness came on I sprinkled the deck with tacks, and then I turned in, bearing in mind the advice of my old friend Samblich that I was not to step on them myself. I saw to it that not a few of them stood "business end" up; for when the Spray passed Thieves' Bay two canoes had put out and followed in her wake, and there was no disguising the fact any longer that I was alone.

Now, it is well known that one cannot step on a tack without saying something about it. A pretty good Christian will whistle when he steps on the "commercial end" of a carpet-tack; a savage will howl and claw the air, and that was just what happened that night about twelve o'clock, while I was asleep in the cabin, where the savages thought they "had me," sloop and all, but changed their minds when they stepped on deck, for then they thought that I or somebody else had them. I had no need of a dog; they howled like a pack of hounds. I had hardly use for a gun. They jumped pell-mell, some into their canoes and some into the sea, to cool off, I suppose, and there was a deal of free language over it as they went. I fired several guns when I came on deck, to let the rascals know that I was home, and then I turned in again, feeling sure I should not be disturbed any more by people who left in so great a hurry."

From Sailing Alone Around the World,
By Captain Joshua Slocum, 1900

Last edited:
Get video of the condom in use, post it on youtube, and then paint the link to it on their garage door.

Do I have to figure everything out here?

:goofy:

First off, do the occupants own the home, or are they tenants? Important first inquiry. Check at the Appraisal District's web site. If I recall correctly, you're in Denton County, so try www.dentoncad.com

If they are tenants, some targeted contact with the dirt owners might go a long way; if they're trashing the grounds, they're trashing the house, and no landlord likes that.

Also, don't just call the police; make friends with them. Visit the station. Pretty good chance one or two is a neighbor.

Also, drop me a pm; I may know some folks who can help, depending on jurisdiction.

I'd just pick it up, sigh a few times, and let it go. Engaging in a battle with those that have no standards is not something that typically goes well.

The problem will eliminate itself with time.

Unfortunately this is the best answer the trouble with trashy people is they are to emotional and stupid to be reasoned with. It's like the drag you to there level and beat you with experience saying.

This behavior is inescapable I live in the middle of nowhere on a huge acreage and I'm constantly pulling beer bottles, pop cans, water bottles, you name it out of our ditches.

There is an old saying about, Wrestling with a pig, etc. :no:

And think through carefully before bringing the police on board with a formal complaint of littering. If they come around, decide there is little they can do about misdemeanor nuisance behavior, shrug and walk away, you will have the joy of living with the consequences.

Even whining to the landlord can backfire if he stomps over there and says, "your neighbor says, etc. etc." then dusts off his hands and cheerfully goes on his way.

The only one I would consider is an anonymous complaint to Child Protective Services about under age alcohol parties. Wear gloves when handling the letter and envelope.

Beyond that, pick up the trash and contemplate the virtues of patience. If she just appeared with that brood it means she was just evicted from somewhere else. Usually that type of person lives at a given address for not more than a year or two before being invited to move on.

so....you don't really live in Dave Ramsey's neighborhood....:no:

just Ramsey's.....:yikes::hairraise::yikes: :rofl:

She isn't a tenant, her name is on the tax records.
I suspect she has a couple ex husbands. Best I can tell she doesn't work or works very little. She is always home.

She's in a $400k house so somebody is paying for it.

I am putting cameras up. If things keep going like they are going, I am just going to share the footage w/ the HOA.

I mentioned the issue to a couple neighbors and I am not the only one picking up after them it seems.

Security cameras are fantastic, and are both coming down in price and getting easier to install (some types are wireless - completely wireless, using batteries).

Get one or two. Point them appropriately. Highly recommended. I am actually currently in the process of installing them around our house. Almost done. We definitely have one installed with a good view of the house with teenagers across the street. Actually, two cover that area.

Definitely get some cameras. Mention to the police this has been going on for some time and send them a certified letter regarding the litter problem... at least get a complaint on file w the po po. The fine for intentional littering here is $1000 and 8-24hrs community service. When they start having to spend 24 hours in an orange vest picking up trash on the side of the road each time they throw crap in your yard, maybe they will change their ways...

I have a problem with a neighbor feeding stray cats, not sure which problem is worse. Condoms in yard, or mangy cats living in the storm drain?

Last edited:
Good thing about calling the cops: good chance someone will get shot. Problem solved then.

Go with either Roundup or fertilizer, and spell out 'whore' in her front yard.

You have a problem with safe sex?:lol:

I can't wait to watch him do that.....on youtube from her security cameras. :goofy:

You don't walk over from your own yard! You walk over from the direction of another neighbor that's had an incident with her. And walk back that direction as well.

Come on, this is 1st grade stuff!

Security cameras are fantastic, and are both coming down in price and getting easier to install (some types are wireless - completely wireless, using batteries).
More than a couple wireless cameras and you can clobber your 2.4MHz wireless router - but other than that...
The cameras with built in IR work well at night - they give off a bit of a visible red glow so people know they are there.

Get the tools to crimp ends on the RG-59, buy it on the spool, and start fishing.

I have cameras but they hardwire to my PC.
I need to get off my butt and install them

I had a neighbor like this for 15 years. Putting [their] trash back in their yard always resulted in accusations of me putting MY trash in their yard. So I would be careful about that. I called the police about several things. They'd straight up lie to them. Eventually I planted big shrubs between the houses and did my best to ignore them. They were foreclosed on last year. My attorney gave me some good advice about the situation. She said 'stay away from people who have nothing to lose'.

and yes, install cameras for your own protection

3. Face to face discussion with the renter, with clear consequences spelled out.

The problem is that in situations like this, there are no consequences. The authorities don't care, although they'll be there in an instant should you do anything to retaliate. It's the same the world over; I had similar issues in the Netherlands (with Filipino and Polish neighbours, the native Dutch were lovely).

Go to the parties. Bring beer.

:goofy:

If things keep going like they are going, I am just going to share the footage w/ the HOA.

I mentioned the issue to a couple neighbors and I am not the only one picking up after them it seems.

Hah! This is the key!

Start a running correspondence with the HOA members. Emphasize the negative effects on the neighborhood. Don't let up until the HOA does something. Isn't that what you pay them for?

Or is she the President of the HOA?

-Skip

Hah! This is the key!

Start a running correspondence with the HOA members. Emphasize the negative effects on the neighborhood. Don't let up until the HOA does something. Isn't that what you pay them for?

Or is she the President of the HOA?

-Skip

I doubt she is the president of anything.
I do suspect she is "the cool mom" that let's the teenagers come over and drink.

Ugh. HOAs can be a pain, but sometimes they can be used to put unwanted attention on a homeowner, especially if several neighbors get on them at the same time. Noise complaints can get the cops out, and if there is underage drinking going on some police departments take that seriously.

Reminds me of the movie "Neighbors" - but if you've not seen it, don't bother....little useful direction here, and as cinematic art - not so much.

Story of a nice couple that has a Fraternity move in next door.

I doubt she is the president of anything.
I do suspect she is "the cool mom" that let's the teenagers come over and drink.

You have to attack this problem from as many directions as you can. You should:

1. Notify the police of underage drinking. Each and every time.
2. Notify the HOA. Each and every time.
3. Attend a HOA meeting, and exhibit a box of one night's haul. Beer bottles, condoms, etc. Also exhibit those sections in the HOA agreement that prohibit such activities, and stress that all you want is relief.
4. Photo and GoPro evidence.

I am sure there are others as well.

Document, document, document!

-Skip

I have had a similar problem. We have a neighbor with five kids, all totally unsupervised. The parents are usually drunk most of the time from what I can see. We had issues with them dropping their litter in front of our house. I once caught them doing it and went over to their house and told them to come on over and pick it up. I was pretty angry. This was a couple of years ago and it never happened again. I've also got cameras. That helped with the doorbell ditching. It is maybe funny the first 50 times or so. After that, I'd just print out the pictures of the kids sneaking up to the door (sort of like a wanted poster) and emailed them to the local email list asking for them to be identified. Funny thing that stopped as well after that :lol:

Back