What to do about Neighbors...

Is one of her daughters the infamous BurgerGirl? If so I bet she'll spread a years supply of croutons on your lawn! :eek::)

something tells me her daughters/kids aren't the type to, you know, have 'jobs' and stuff.

You can only post so many threads about this or that being a problem before people start questioning if the problem is really with the complainant.

You're right. They were my condoms and spit cups. I'm framing her

The home next door to me went up for sale last summer, and a college kid moved in there. I talked to him one day, and he told me that his dad was helping him buy it, and he was going to have two room mates. I had a panic attack. Three weeks later, the dad was helping him move in. Dad came over, introduced himself, then gave me his phone number and told me to put it in my speed dial, just in case the "kids forgot how to act." What a relief. Anyway, when we went to Puerto Rico for the winter, the college kids offered to clear the snow off of my sidewalks and driveway, if I would let them use my snowblower while I was gone. I guess I just lucked out.

The home next door to me went up for sale last summer, and a college kid moved in there. I talked to him one day, and he told me that his dad was helping him buy it, and he was going to have two room mates. I had a panic attack. Three weeks later, the dad was helping him move in. Dad came over, introduced himself, then gave me his phone number and told me to put it in my speed dial, just in case the "kids forgot how to act." What a relief. Anyway, when we went to Puerto Rico for the winter, the college kids offered to clear the snow off of my sidewalks and driveway, if I would let them use my snowblower while I was gone. I guess I just lucked out.

In a major way, I'd say.

Rich

Young people, raised well and acting properly, very refreshing and much more common than most think.

Young people, raised well and acting properly, very refreshing and much more common than most think.

You don't hear about good people living normal lives, that doesn't sell ads and isn't good clickbait fodder for the so called "news" media.

It's how you end up with a society thinking that the exploits of celebrities with mental health issues are more important than anything else they could spend their time doing. And that the exploits of a small subset of idiot young people is how they all act.

Not even close.

"Peaceful" doesn't sell. "Rational" doesn't sell.

Just like there's people with weak immune systems that need to be careful about what they decide to injest orally, there's even more people with weak ability to see through the media haze of stupid people acting stupid, and recognize real life when they see it. They need to be more careful about what they injest through their eyes and ears without applying rational filters.

TV should probably have a nice PC warning label on it, "Don't watch if you're prone to freaking out about other people's personal problems they should have kept to themselves and dealt with, or if you're prone to believing age old cops and robber stories are how modern police forces work, or that "voting" actually elects candidates at the national level."

LOL. People have a hard time figuring out that stuff on TV isn't reality. Worse, they make it their own reality.

There's all sorts of good kids out there living normal lives. They grew up being taught some strange things that math doesn't back up in certain populist PC topics, but the smart ones learn pretty quick. And they aren't on the news in the evening.

Millenials who figure out they've been lied to by the stuff on their gadgets and an awful lot of their "education" are pretty sharp after they tune up their personal BS meters and antennae, and they probably do better than most GenXers who figured it out too late. Once they dig out of their student loan debt, and stop worrying about being PC for other's approval, they'll be quite a force to be reckoned with.

All they have to do is break the habit of injesting media garbage, junk food for the brain.

You don't hear about good people living normal lives, that doesn't sell ads and isn't good clickbait fodder for the so called "news" media.

It's how you end up with a society thinking that the exploits of celebrities with mental health issues are more important than anything else they could spend their time doing. And that the exploits of a small subset of idiot young people is how they all act.

Not even close.

"Peaceful" doesn't sell. "Rational" doesn't sell.

Just like there's people with weak immune systems that need to be careful about what they decide to injest orally, there's even more people with weak ability to see through the media haze of stupid people acting stupid, and recognize real life when they see it. They need to be more careful about what they injest through their eyes and ears without applying rational filters.

TV should probably have a nice PC warning label on it, "Don't watch if you're prone to freaking out about other people's personal problems they should have kept to themselves and dealt with, or if you're prone to believing age old cops and robber stories are how modern police forces work, or that "voting" actually elects candidates at the national level."

LOL. People have a hard time figuring out that stuff on TV isn't reality. Worse, they make it their own reality.

There's all sorts of good kids out there living normal lives. They grew up being taught some strange things that math doesn't back up in certain populist PC topics, but the smart ones learn pretty quick. And they aren't on the news in the evening.

Millenials who figure out they've been lied to by the stuff on their gadgets and an awful lot of their "education" are pretty sharp after they tune up their personal BS meters and antennae, and they probably do better than most GenXers who figured it out too late. Once they dig out of their student loan debt, and stop worrying about being PC for other's approval, they'll be quite a force to be reckoned with.

All they have to do is break the habit of injesting media garbage, junk food for the brain.
I agree with you. I'm surrounded by young people, and they are all just fine. The neighbor kids are great, their friends are good, my kids are good, my kid's friends are good. They are all working on being successful and responsible people. I run into young people all the time down here in PR, who are nice polite responsible kids, who help the old folks carry their groceries upstairs and keep an eye on them. It is sad that people get so fixated on the bad, that they can't see the good, especially when it is all around them. But you know, it is something to say. "Those damned millennials." That's what old people say to make themselves feel good about being old. My dad used to say stuff like that about my generation. I think that they called us all damned long haired hippies.

I think that they called us all damned long haired hippies.

Haha. Dad was a long haired hippie before he went to the Navy and another family member certainly is one. He likes his newly legalized pot here in CO and wouldn't harm a flea. Doesn't have a lot of money, but isn't a net draw on society either.

I was too broke to be a "typical" "GenX slacker" so I busted my butt for years and made a career out of nothing at all. Not I'm going to start in my 40s and go fly some airplanes and not go to work full time for a while. Ha. Seriously.

I'll "let" my millenial co-worker get some time in the hot seat. He will probably figure out real quick why I push not doing tons of nutty one-offs to servers, pushing his millenial cohorts in software Dev to pick standards and stick to them across the board, and keeping desktop setups the same, after he gets to be the only person cleaning up the mess he *allowed* to happen for a year or two. Heh. I love peering over my glasses and warning him about holes he's digging himself that I dug 15 years ago trying to be everyone's "friendly" system administrator. He'll start to see the light here pretty soon... ;)

[snip]

I'll "let" my millenial co-worker get some time in the hot seat. He will probably figure out real quick why I push not doing tons of nutty one-offs to servers, pushing his millenial cohorts in software Dev to pick standards and stick to them across the board, and keeping desktop setups the same, after he gets to be the only person cleaning up the mess he *allowed* to happen for a year or two. Heh. I love peering over my glasses and warning him about holes he's digging himself that I dug 15 years ago trying to be everyone's "friendly" system administrator. He'll start to see the light here pretty soon... ;)

I tell newish engineers that most of what I'm telling them is "I don't think you want to do that. See this scar?" Sufficient experience breeds paranoia.

John

Haha. Dad was a long haired hippie before he went to the Navy and another family member certainly is one. He likes his newly legalized pot here in CO and wouldn't harm a flea. Doesn't have a lot of money, but isn't a net draw on society either.
There was a whole line of long haired hippies waiting to get a haircut when I went into the Navy. Maybe your Dad was one of them. Something about the Viet Nam War and the draft ended more than a few long haired hippie careers. That is why I'm trying to get those days back, in retirement I mean. So far so good.

There was a whole line of long haired hippies waiting to get a haircut when I went into the Navy. Maybe your Dad was one of them. Something about the Viet Nam War and the draft ended more than a few long haired hippie careers. That is why I'm trying to get those days back, in retirement I mean. So far so good.

Yep. Dad's number was about to come up and his grades slipped so he decided he'd better go enlist to do something he wanted to do before he found himself on point with an M-16 in a jungle.

Interestingly, he was very successful in business later, his buddy who did end up on point being shot at, did even better as a lawyer, and the Americans who didn't have to go, eventually voted in a draft dodger as their President, who had a number that should have sent him sooner, and is now worth an estimated $33M. May the sleaziest hippie win, I guess is the moral of that story.

Dad figured out that sales was a pretty good way to drink beer, play golf, and go skiing regularly and did well enough at it to retire the first time at 53. But I think his favorite day in the Navy was catching a Chief taking a leak on a civilian car in Italy when he was volunteering for Shore Patrol, and made a deal where they'd agree to "leave each other alone" from then on, or he could drag his own Chief back to the brig.

Or maybe he'd say it was the day he pulled watch duty in Norfolk and some butter bar demanded he chamber his sidearm. He told the kid if he was planning on shooting anyone in Virginia, he could have the .45 and unholstered it and handed it to him. Said he was shipping out in a few days and shooting someone in port would probably delay that. His Chief had to come unruffle the butter bar's feathers real fast. Haha. (Not the same Chief. But I did ask him that once...)

He used to joke, "Not too many Americans have gotten to take a leisurely swim in Haiphong Harbor from an aircraft carrier..."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_End_Sweep

(Interestingly I've read through his stuff and studied info about his time afloat, and that Wikipedia page has some significant errors. Starting with the fact that it shows a photo of a Sea Stallion operating from his ship, but doesn't even list his ship in the task force list later in the article.

Wikipedia is pretty much crap, especially if a page has historical information on it, but that one is pretty impressive a mistake, even for them.

Doesn't matter much I guess. The ship is at the bottom of the Atlantic and dad ain't here no more. History is always rewritten to please the living.

Back