What time will you be departing?(FBO rant)

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
When I’m on multi-day flying trips they often ask this at the desk. And I try to give them a guess… “tomorrow morning I think” “planning on tues morning” etc. Usually they take that. Then there are the ones who ask “what time in the morning”?

Well the real answer is I have no idea. That’s like.. half a day away. How squared away do think I am? Whenever my wife and I happen to be awake and get our stuff together, checked out, and transport there is the time. I mean assuming we even go that day or I don’t delay for weather or pick another destination or something.

I know they want to plan but just park it out of the way and let it be there, I’ll come get it when I get it, chill.

I pick the soonest time I'm likely to ever possibly return. Then I can expect the plane near the ramp and fueled as requested. This also enables me to arch a long Karen's eyebrow at them if neither of those things come to pass, however "late" I am in arriving.

My favorite are the ones that ask me what time I want to be pulled out on the ramp after we already established that they don’t have a towbar to move my aircraft.

I usually tell them I’ll give them a few hours notice.

I park at the only FBO (national brand, overpriced) near my beach home and get this question every time.
1) I’ve said, “Not sure, I fly so I don’t have to follow a schedule”.
2) Given a precise date and time.
Neither answer has changed the service, had the plane closer, etc.

I always figure it is a default ask more for the jet traffic when they would pull the fancy plane up closer to the FBO for the biz jet customer.

If I know my put-put plane is not moving I just give a general time. If I think they are actually gonna pull it outta the back 40 and closer to the FBO I tell them I will call with a ETD in the AM of departure when I have a better idea.

I always figure it is a default ask more for the jet traffic when they would pull the fancy plane up closer to the FBO for the biz jet customer.

If I know my put-put plane is not moving I just give a general time. If I think they are actually gonna pull it outta the back 40 and closer to the FBO I tell them I will call with a ETD in the AM of departure when I have a better idea.

That’s exactly why they ask.

At the bigger FBOs they try to park you up close for unloading and then move you further out to make room up front for the next arrival/departure. And in my experience most tend to do this regardless of whether you burn Jet-A or Avgas.

In my case it’s just funny when they automatically ask the question because most FBOs can’t move my aircraft.

I’ve gotten into the habit of calling the FBO about 15-20 minutes out and letting them know that wherever they park me is where I’ll stay so they can relay to the line.

At the bigger FBOs they try to park you up close for unloading and then move you further out to make room up front for the next arrival/departure. And in my experience most tend to do this regardless of whether you burn Jet-A or Avgas.

In my case it’s just funny when they automatically ask the question because most FBOs can’t move my aircraft.

I’ve gotten into the habit of calling the FBO about 15-20 minutes out and letting them know that wherever they park me is where I’ll stay so they can relay to the line.
There are ways....

maxresdefault.jpg

“I’ll call in when I know”

I tell them what difference does it make you never have my plane ready when I tell you anyway...

I did this the past weekend at a smaller FBO that also caters to some biz jet traffic. When I got there, the line guys asked about what time I would be departing so they can make sure we were expected. Worked out great as they had a jet finishing right as we arrived and had me fueled so all I needed to do was pay. Easy peasy.

With all the discussion online about negative FBO experiences, I'd think that you'd appreciate an FBO asking for information that could help them serve you better.

Whether that actually happens or not is a different story, but at least they're asking.

I agree with Russ. Often they ask to have your plane ready to go if it has to be moved. You are allowed to call the FBO and change your departure date or time, as often as you need to. Just pick something that's a reasonable guess, and update it when you know.
Jon

Isn’t Zulu typically given in a 24 hr format without an am or pm but with a Z?
There’s your answer.

I can't believe I'm going to admit this, but I totally missed the pm :(

What kind of plane are we talking about ? Is it not something they can tow with a lektro if they are so equipped?

What kind of plane are we talking about ? Is it not something they can tow with a lektro if they are so equipped?

I think he's referring to a Beech 18. I imagine that not many FBOs would be equipped to tow that type of aircraft, or at least not without going well outside their (and his) comfort zone.

Tough crowd. They are just trying to help you get staged for your departure. As said before, just give your best guess, and as the time draws near firm up the time.

On service. At one of my frequent FBO’s where I am known by name, I called in to have my plane ramped. Was a voice I didn’t recognize. I get there and my planes not on the ramp. I wasn’t in a hurry, so not really annoyed. Went inside and said I called 45 minutes ago. They apologized, said they had a new gal working the front desk. They heard the phone ring and heard her talking to somebody. When they asked her what it was about, she said She don’t know somebody’s calling something about a plane. She didn’t understand what they were saying. And folks, this is the employment situation in our beautiful country.

Back