What temperature do you like your bedroom?

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I'm pretty sure this is quite common, but my wife likes it much warmer in the bedroom than I do. She would set it to 79 or 80 and still use two or three light covers and a night gown. I manage to get her to keep it to 78 and I'm still too warm, even just wearing skivvies and perhaps part of a sheet to cover up.

Most articles I read suggest around 65 degrees.
https://www.sleepfoundation.org/bedroom-environment/best-temperature-for-sleep
The temperature of your bedroom can make a significant difference to your sleep quality. The best room temperature for sleep is approximately 65 degrees Fahrenheit (18.3 degrees Celsius). This may vary by a few degrees from person to person, but most doctors recommend keeping the thermostat set between 60 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit (15.6 to 20 degrees Celsius) for the most comfortable sleep.

That might even be too cold for me.
What temp do you like?

Humidity is my issue - sometimes I need the temperature cranked down to keep the humidity in check. So at my place, that can be as low as 74 degrees.

Humidity is my issue - sometimes I need the temperature cranked down to keep the humidity in check. So at my place, that can be as low as 74 degrees.
Why not get a dehumidifier and separate these two factors?

71F for me, although our thermostat is in another room of our apartment so I’m guessing the actual bedroom temperature is more like 68-69F

No A/C in the house, just a swamp cooler. 2 fans in the bedroom, one ceiling fan, one stand fan. Another fan in the living room window to draw air through the house. We turn the swamp cooler off at night, otherwise it will get so cold in the house even I could not stand it.

We are at the mercy of the outside temperature. With single digit humidity values, it stays cool enough to sleep at night. It has been a nice summer so far, temps at night still getting down to the upper 40s to lower 50s, but is is getting closer to midnight before it gets sleeping comfortable in the house.

Daytime high temps will be hitting the low 90s this week for the first time this summer. I have considered putting in a central A/C, but it is only needed for about 3 months out of the year. I can't justify the expense right now. Maybe when I get older.

I am in the crowd of colder the better to sleep. I used to keep the bedroom window open a couple inches during winter in Alaska, and never slept better.

The power companies say put it on 78 in the summer to save money but no way I could deal with 78. 69 winter and 71 summer.

We turn it down to 72 at might. If I could swing the cost, I’d love to put a minisplit in the bedroom and cool it to about 62 for sleeping.

68 with the fan on.

When I built the house I didnt skimp on insulation or air sealing. One doesn't mean much without the other. It's a 1000sq ft house with just me and the dog and sort of tucked under some oak trees, but my electric bill has never been more than 70 bucks

68 with the fan on.

When I built the house I didnt skimp on insulation or air sealing. One doesn't mean much without the other. It's a 1000sq ft house with just me and the dog and sort of tucked under some oak trees, but my electric bill has never been more than 70 bucks
Sounds ideal to me these days.

65* from 9:30p-4:30a. Sleep like a rock.

ETA: South Texas area, no solar, electric uas never exceeded $250/mo in the six years we’ve been in this house.

God love them, but you can't relinquish control of the thermostat to the ladies. I tolerate 72 during the summer and not above 66 in the winter.

I guess I'm the weird one that prefers it slightly warmer in the winter.

AC gets set at 78, and the heater gets set for 72 day/68 night.

67 in summer 65 in winter.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the crowd of colder the better to sleep. I used to keep the bedroom window open a couple inches during winter in Alaska, and never slept better.

You're not alone. Studies have a shown (or speculated) a number of benefits when your sleep environment is between 60-68.

Wife likes it under 70. I sleep with an electric blanket on year round, but on rare occasions, usually when I'm sick, the blankets and sheets come off my side of the bed for various lengths of time. I have lots of trouble regulating my body temp, so anything over about 75F is fine with me during awake time.

I have a hard time sleeping if it’s much over 74. I like to set it at 72 or so.

You can get bed coolers now. I was thinking about making one for my gf some years ago but there are now plenty on the market. I had in mind full a/c with total heat extraction instrumentation that accounted for moisture loss. I guess I was probably making it too complicated.

I have no experience of them but as it happens this one caught my eye today. Heating and cooling separately in two zones. Uses closed circuit water tubes and real cooling/heating.

https://www.eightsleep.com/pod-cover/
https://www.eightsleep.com/pod-mattress/

$2,000-$3,000.

Not the total car crash that some "reviews" are. Actually tells you a bit about how it works.
Covers the above device and a much cheaper fan only solution that has no cooler.

I recommend against even trying the following in all cases.
My personal "redneck" solution to bed heat is a cold water bottle. From the freezer. I take GREAT CARE not to let it BURN as numbness would likely prevent the cold being noticed. I have it very securely wrapped. I also get condensation so I need to thoroughly air the bed each day or there will be trouble. Long term use is probably impractical for this reason. I only need it a few days a year. I would not consider this for children or the infirm.

Cole Porter's, "Kiss Me Kate", Too Darn Hot.

Check out the lyrics.

A Walk in cooler like temp would be fine with me. The boss does not concur.

We just finished a 4 hour drive. A/C on my side was on max, her side was set to 76 with the heated seat on. And she was wearing her sweatshirt.:)

In the winter, I've gone as low as 55 when in a tight budget situation. But I'll set the thermostat to pop up to 65 about an hour before wake up time, or I'll have a bit of trouble getting out of bed. Summer? I could go as 65, or as high as 74 if the humidity isn't high. Here the summer temps aren't usually too hot in summer nights, but the humidity can be right up there with anyplace.

If I had to pay for it to be less than 75 during the summer I couldn't afford an airplane.

69(gigity)

Our house isn't overly large and is decently insulated for it's age. Between that and the geothermal system I don't worry too much about heating/cooling bills.

My 2400 sq. ft. house has a single air handler with a modern (2017) HVAC system.

My thermostat is set for: Heat comes on at 75F and AC comes on at 78.

I am comfortable night and day and my electric bill never exceeds $200.

69(gigity)

Our house isn't overly large and is decently insulated for it's age. Between that and the geothermal system I don't worry too much about heating/cooling bills.
Heating/cooling bills has nothing to do with our nighttime bedroom temperature selection.

I have always thought there must be something wrong with me for needing the temp lower to be able to sleep well and comfortably. Perhaps that is somewhat true. If I could lose weight, perhaps I wouldn't be so hot all the time.

But from what I am reading here, it appears that it might not be me. It is just that my wife (who is at the perfect weight and in good health) can't stand to be as cold as I would need it to sleep. Nothing to do with cost. It is almost an irreconcilable difference.

I’d love to see some of the women on this board chime in.

Back