What should the April 26-29 - M34 (Kentucky Dam airfield) fly-in be called?

Early November if you is eager to meet and greet. Otherwise I agree, March is a safe-ish weather wise month.

If this year, Nov would maybe work. I am still recovering from 6Y9 and Gastons is around the corner

My opinion
Jan - too cold, nobody will come
Feb - later in the month probably doable but weather risks
Mar - sweet spot weather wise (not too hot or cold) no other fly-ins happening
Apr - (Same as march)
May - Starting to get warm
Jun, Jul, Aug - hot hot hot
Sep - 6Y9
Oct - Gastons
Nov - doable potential weather risks
Dec - nobody will come, weather risks and holidays

Ok Bryan, the next time I see you I'll bring an interesting six pack.

Oh, and March can be mighty variable. Could be warm and nice, or cold, windy, and ice.

The only sucky part of a March date is the delayed gratification. That's like years and years from now.

Amoeba_bw.GIF

Don't know if I'm invited, but I just did 2 XC's to M34 as part of training, and would definitely try to roast a hot dog or two over some beers.
Coming in over the lake is pretty cool.
The water there isn't too warm until June(ish). We used to waterski on May 1st as a tradition no matter what the temp. Froze my nads several times!
Much too old for that now.

Is this a camp-in event?

I like to camp. I see lodging nearby and the website shows actual camp sites.
I would probably opt for a campsite as I don't really see a location anywhere where a group can gather and shoot the siht.

If a few people can go on short notice, I'd be willing to alpha test the site sometime in the next few weeks.

Dividing the price by the number of rooms on the houseboat makes it a deal breaker.
That would be fun though.

Only bad thing about March is the wx up here is utterly unpredictable, and seldom VFR. Used to have a POA thing in West Virginia in early October, still a bit hit or miss.

I'd be willing to pay less to be on the boat for the day. Wouldn't have to sleep on it. Can it accommodate enough non sleeping guests to be worth it?

Only bad thing about March is the wx up here is utterly unpredictable, and seldom VFR. Used to have a POA thing in West Virginia in early October, still a bit hit or miss.
That's really the only kicker I see too. Here in SE Tn, mid to end of March can either be comfortable and seasonal or we'll be stuck in blackberry winter for a few more weeks. I'd imagine SW KY would be similar.

Looking on Airnav under Remarks, it appears that they offer a ride over to the park grounds.

TRANSPORTATION TO PARK LODGE AVAIL 270-362-4271.

wait, does this fall within the 18 hour timeframe that @TRocket isn't working? would be cool if he came out of the sim for some quality PoA meetup time.

What kind of moron leaves Oshkosh and Sun 'n Fun off his calendar

If this year, Nov would maybe work. I am still recovering from 6Y9 and Gastons is around the corner

My opinion
Jan - too cold, nobody will come
Feb - later in the month probably doable but weather risks
Mar - sweet spot weather wise (not too hot or cold) no other fly-ins happening
Apr - (Same as march)
May - Starting to get warm
Jun, Jul, Aug - hot hot hot
Sep - 6Y9
Oct - Gastons
Nov - doable potential weather risks
Dec - nobody will come, weather risks and holidays

And for fun:

We need a stuffed monkey, a f350 pickup, a wooden prop Beech, some Scotch, some butter for the coffee, and a locked from the inside door.

Somebody say Scotch? S**** the weather, Scotch makes everything CAVU.

OTOH, I'll still be skiing in Steamboat in March/April.

Cheers

Ok Bryan, the next time I see you I'll bring an interesting six pack.

Oh, and March can be mighty variable. Could be warm and nice, or cold, windy, and ice.

Forgive him. Texans don't know about seasons. ;)

Kentucky Dam sounds like fun. I'm in if I can work it into ye ol' schedule.

Back