What makes for expensive annuals?

Anybody in Dallas who tries that crap tell them to call me. We can get it stopped in 10 minutes.
I agree, but as we see here everyday regulations are subject to interpretation, lots of interpretation.

There are A&P-IA's that will say TBO means TBO, prop overhauls on time, etc. part 91 or not. Rather than have a bird held hostage I would think this is better discussed prior to bringing it in for work. Even in this thread there was mention by an IA of grounding an aircraft and calling the FSDO.:dunno:

Anybody in Dallas who tries that crap tell them to call me. We can get it stopped in 10 minutes.

Wayne-

Not to call Duncan out, but this is his post from earlier:

"Oh and if it is really unsafe and I don't think you will bother to fix it a call to the FSDO can have your plane "grounded" in within an hour or two. I haven't had to do it yet but if I felt it was needed to save a life you better believe I would."

Assuming part 91, what's your take on this? Is that within an IA's authority? How would the FSDO go about grounding your aircraft?

I agree, but as we see here everyday regulations are subject to interpretation, lots of interpretation.

There are A&P-IA's that will say TBO means TBO, prop overhauls on time, etc. part 91 or not. Rather than have a bird held hostage I would think this is better discussed prior to bringing it in for work. Even in this thread there was mention by an IA of grounding an aircraft and calling the FSDO.:dunno:

One IA has publicly said he is ok with running past TBO, so this one will weigh in too...

My 1983 aircraft has never had the engine off and the prop was last done in 2004...

That same IA recommended running a first run O-300 continental (never been apart in 46 years) about a 1,000 past TBO in a different thread.

I resemble that remark. and for every ones sake, the only reason to overhaul any engine in part 91 is that you do not trust it.

You can repair and return to service any engine a million times for a million hours, because there is no required TBO in part 91.

TBOs are set forth in a service bulletin and service bulletins are not required to be complied with in part 91.

What's safe isn't always legal, what's legal isn't always safe, so it is your engine you make the decision.

WE mechanics can only give you an opinion based upon what we know from experience and the training we have had.

And for "bnt83" read what I really wrote, I made no recommendations in that post, I simply said it was pretty common to top a 0-300 and run it until it told you it was ready to overhaul. so don't twist my writing into something that you concluded.

I'll save you the look up.
It is very common to top a 0-300 at 2000 hours and run it well into 3500 or more, I would not overhaul this engine until it told me that it has a problem. end quote

I don't advise overhauling any engine until it tells me to.

Last edited:
The FSDO would "unground" it and set his ass straight about part 91 regs in about five minutes. It's happened at ADS numerous times, by the same shop, and at one time they could run their bluff and get by with it. Not now.

Alternatively, tell him he's not authorized to touch anything other than to push it out of his shop and give you a list of discrepancies. Then take it to another shop and call the Fed. He's got no case.

Wayne-

Not to call Duncan out, but this is his post from earlier:

"Oh and if it is really unsafe and I don't think you will bother to fix it a call to the FSDO can have your plane "grounded" in within an hour or two. I haven't had to do it yet but if I felt it was needed to save a life you better believe I would."

Assuming part 91, what's your take on this? Is that within an IA's authority? How would the FSDO go about grounding your aircraft?

The FSDO would "unground" it and set his ass straight about part 91 regs in about five minutes. It's happened at ADS numerous times, by the same shop, and at one time they could run their bluff and get by with it. Not now.

Alternatively, tell him he's not authorized to touch anything other than to push it out of his shop and give you a list of discrepancies. Then take it to another shop and call the Fed. He's got no case.

Exactly what I would expect to happen if I was blowing smoke, even a little. But if I'm not blowing smoke and can verify what I'm on about they will tag the plane.

I should clarify, I will call to save a life, not to try and get you to let me fix it. There are other competent mechanics out there. :wink2:

The FSDO would "unground" it and set his ass straight about part 91 regs in about five minutes.

Yep… both parties, so you best have a real safety issue if you call the ASI into the mess.

But they are a tool for the A&P-IA to use when necessary.

The problem with your scenario from the owner's standpoint is that the mechanics who try to peddle that crap always have the same story about the immediate clear and present danger of whatever it is that they're all worked up about. So when another shop's response is "huh?" who is the owner supposed to believe?

I've found many more wacko theories than life-threatening issues advanced by the doofi, and am dealing with one such situation now. The shop blowing the whistles isn't a bad group, they just have their panties in a wad over a some non-issues that will be resolved in about a half-day max. Savings to owner will be about $20k.

Exactly what I would expect to happen if I was blowing smoke, even a little. But if I'm not blowing smoke and can verify what I'm on about they will tag the plane.

I should clarify, I will call to save a life, not to try and get you to let me fix it. There are other competent mechanics out there. :wink2:

One IA has publicly said he is ok with running past TBO, so this one will weigh in too...

My 1983 aircraft has never had the engine off and the prop was last done in 2004...

I wonder how many engines have never been apart. Have an 1968 O320 that's never been apart sitting at about 1,500 TT. All the rubber parts are so old we are replacing them. Hoses, intake rubbers, fuel selector and strainer orings etc. unfortunately this owner wasnt pro active on those OLD rubber parts and the fuel selector leaked about 25 gallons of 100LL $$$ when it started getting cold out :mad2:

Last edited:
I resemble that remark. and for every ones sake, the only reason to overhaul any engine in part 91 is that you do not trust it.

You can repair and return to service any engine a million times for a million hours, because there is no required TBO in part 91.

TBOs are set forth in a service bulletin and service bulletins are not required to be complied with in part 91.

What's safe isn't always legal, what's legal isn't always safe, so it is your engine you make the decision.

WE mechanics can only give you an opinion based upon what we know from experience and the training we have had.

And for "bnt83" read what I really wrote, I made no recommendations in that post, I simply said it was pretty common to top a 0-300 and run it until it told you it was ready to overhaul. so don't twist my writing into something that you concluded.

I'll save you the look up.
It is very common to top a 0-300 at 2000 hours and run it well into 3500 or more, I would not overhaul this engine until it told me that it has a problem. end quote

I don't advise overhauling any engine until it tells me to.

Who is twisting words here? Quote me where I say that "Tom-D said..." :dunno:

That was your own conclusion...

Who is twisting words here? Quote me where I say that "Tom-D said..." :dunno:

That was your own conclusion...

It's obvious who you were referring to, who else made any statement about running past TBO?

Here is a cross post from another forum. This is what Eric Barker of Western Skyways had to say about TBO in part 91 aircraft:

"As a large engine shop, we get asked this question multiple times every day. There are some good responses here, but thought I could give some of my opinions on the subject.

So, as an engine shop, of course I should say to overhaul the engine at tbo, no further, ever.

In reality, the answer, as some have posted, is "it depends".
I am not a believer in the "fly it 'till it breaks" propaganda, because that simply increases the cost borne by the current owner who now needs an engine, and in a hurry.

Aside from monetary concerns, it could yield a safety of flight issue and no one wants to be on the other side of the desk trying to explain why you landed in a school yard with a 4,000 hour engine thats 20+ years old when the manufacturer clearly calls out for a 1700 hr tbo or 12 years (example only). The argument that "It's part 91, so TBO is only a recomendation", though accurate, will only carry so much weight in such a scenario.

TBO, in the GA community, is often considered to be a neferious scheme to sell parts by the factories. Not entirely untrue perhaps, but if one was to try and decipher the logic behind TBO's you can certainly find some legitamate reasons for these "Recomendations". So, I submit the following to consider;
1) Power envelope for the basic engine design. Engines operating at lower side of the envelope tend to have a longer TBO, where engines operating at the higher side tend to be shorter, to a point.
2) Calendar age - Main concerns are corrosion AND AD's/MSB's that are applicable only at O/H/splitting engine.
4) Wear trends, specifically the life expectancy for the wear surfaces (IE: bearings, bushings, etc)
5) Oil supply and design - Filter vs Screen for just one example. Think O470U which originally had a 1500 hr TBO, later bumped to 2000 with the introduction an upgraded cylinder and oil system.
6) Cylinder design - Think of the old 421 engine, originally at 1400tbo, later bumped to 1600 with the introduction of a new style cylinder.
7)Magnetism - The longer the engine runs, the more magnetism can be stored, to a point. During the course of an engine overhaul "Demagging" the steel components is normal procedure. Remember that the oil has 3 basic functions- Clean, cool and lubricate. The oil "cleans" the engine by suspending particulate matter in the oil stream until it reaches the filter. Assuming that the particulates are ferrous, and you have a magnatized components, the particles may not make it to the filter thereby causing wear and/or blocking oil passages. Aircraft struck by lightening are required to have certain inspections performed, one being a dissasembly of the engine. The engine is instantly magnatized in this event, along with fried electrical components (alternator, mags, etc). If magnatism wasnt a problem, then we could just change mags, starter and alternator in these events, but it's just not that easy.
8) Aircraft use - IE: Aerial sprayers, though perhaps using a similar engine, have a reduced TBO due to the environment and operating conditions of the engine. The same note applies to Jumpers, and banner towing.
9) Certain TBO's are automatically increased if the engine is operated at 40 hrs per month or more continuously.

Remember that engine prices quoted have a core policy attached to them. Some require the core be less than 20 years old,"undamaged" and as removed (TCM and Lycoming factory) , some require the core to be serviceable for the quote to be good. Others, like us, require the major components be "repairable". The point is, if you "fly it 'till it breaks" your cost is increased, and now you are trying to justify to yourself if those extra 500 hours (example) of use was worth the $16,000 (example) core value. Perhaps the cost per hour makes sense, perhaps it doesnt.

A reasonable rule of thumb, in my opinion, so as not to compromise safety or increase cost is;
If all the tools at our disposal are showing good signs (IE: oil analysis, filter inspections, spin on filter instead of screen, compression tests, borescopes, good routine maintenance, no oil leaks, no vibrations, etc) and the engine is operated regularly for around 100 or more per year THEN you may consider a 10-15% over TBO as a guide. Beyond that I more frequently see "Diminishing Returns" when comparing additional time yielded with the additional costs incurred due to core damage. Realize also that there are relatively few "tools at our disposal" to give indications of bottom end wear.

As they say, Your mileage may vary."

Sorry it's long, I felt it would be beneficial to the thread.

The only reason I can see to OH an engine (other than making metal etc) within the calender recommendations prior to hourly TBO, would be corrosion inspection and replacing all the rubber parts that eventually crack & leak. But in doing so you end up replacing a lot of other stuff.

It makes more sense the more complex the engine is too IMHO. turbo & fuel injected ingines have that many more seals that age...

Last edited:
The only reason I can see to OH an engine (other than making metal etc) within the calender recommendations prior to hourly TBO, would be corrosion inspection and replacing all the rubber parts that eventually crack & leak. But in doing so you end up replacing a lot of other stuff.

It makes more sense the more complex the engine is too IMHO. turbo & fuel injected ingines have that many more seals that age...

You don't see the downside of the "fly it till it breaks" approach in the above? Even if you have no concerns about safety of flight there is a financial incentive as well.

My take on that is that engines at TBO are less likely to shred themselves apart than brand new overhauled engines. This is statistically the case under the bathtub effect. So the argument that you're one catastrophic eventuality away in the TBO+200thru500 hrs range is not an argument I'm personally reassured by. I'm a lot more nervous about the thing crapping itself at 0-200SMOH to be frank.

The other thing is that trying to save a crank or other expensive not-inclusive component by overhauling religiously at TBO is another false economy. The kind of sitting time the engine saw during its life is more indicative of the probability it will or will not need replacement than whether I ran it to 3000SMOH. Plenty of pitting abounds in Lyco cranks on engines well below TBO right now. Those suckers are gonna get replaced too. The guy running it to 3000SMOH will save a bundle.

As to the argument of landing on a school yard with an old airplane. Meh. Life's a risk. People total brand new luxury cars and still try to go for the "this 75K diamond encrusted space shuttle on wheels is UNSAAAAFE! WAA!". If I were to dictate my actions based on the risk aversion of the publico I'd never get anything done. Sure as hell not gonna pay a premium for it on top of it.

YMMV is right.

You don't see the downside of the "fly it till it breaks" approach in the above? Even if you have no concerns about safety of flight there is a financial incentive as well.

I get your point, but in practice it doesn't happen.

Take an O-300, 10%-15% passed TBO = 1980 to 2070 hours or 158 to 165 months whichever occurs first. The OP posted an engine thats 552 months old and never been apart

How many GA part 91 engines right now are passed the calander TBO?

Last edited:

lets say $15k for OH, the TBO is 144 months or 1800 hrs whichever is first.

Thats $104 per month or $8.30 per hour...

oh at 900 hours because due at the calander time limit, it was $16.60 per hour.

My take on that is that engines at TBO are less likely to shred themselves apart than brand new overhauled engines. This is statistically the case under the bathtub effect. So the argument that you're one catastrophic eventuality away in the TBO+200thru500 hrs range is not an argument I'm personally reassured by. I'm a lot more nervous about the thing crapping itself at 0-200SMOH to be frank.

The other thing is that trying to save a crank or other expensive not-inclusive component by overhauling religiously at TBO is another false economy. The kind of sitting time the engine saw during its life is more indicative of the probability it will or will not need replacement than whether I ran it to 3000SMOH. Plenty of pitting abounds in Lyco cranks on engines well below TBO right now. Those suckers are gonna get replaced too. The guy running it to 3000SMOH will save a bundle.

As to the argument of landing on a school yard with an old airplane. Meh. Life's a risk. People total brand new luxury cars and still try to go for the "this 75K diamond encrusted space shuttle on wheels is UNSAAAAFE! WAA!". If I were to dictate my actions based on the risk aversion of the publico I'd never get anything done. Sure as hell not gonna pay a premium for it on top of it.

YMMV is right.

You make a good point about lycoming cranks. This is the 150HP cranks that are not affected by the corrosion inspection AD. They have corrosion in them just like the ones affected by the AD and when discovered at OH, they will be rejected. Also a pile that are required to be "retired" soon I believe.

Last edited:
I get your point, but in practice it doesn't happen.

Take an O-300, 10%-15% passed TBO = 1980 to 2070 hours or 158 to 165 months whichever occurs first. The OP posted an engine thats 552 months old and never been apart

How many GA part 91 engines right now are passed the calander TBO?

Probably a lot are past TBO and a lot of people will argue that is no problem at all as owners, and won't touch them as buyers unless the price reflects the full cost of an overhaul plus some.

There is also a risk of making a useable core non-usable by flying it to failure, which would negate the financial advantage of additional hours flown.

One part of being an A&P is that you donhave to use your pen to sign off something that's legal if you aren't comfortable with it. Usually the answer I hear is "I don't want to accept the liability." Many A&Ps refuse to overhaul magnetos, for reasons can't comprehend, and so then you have ones that will insist that engines and props must be done at TBO, etc., largely because they refuse to take the liability of having their signature on something that's legal, but a lawyer could point at and say "Well, right here in service letter..."

Any A&P who tries to make me perform non-AD maintenance that's based strictly on calendar time or hours will be asked why he feels that way, I'll consider it and thenn make the decision. If the response is he won't sign something off as unairworthy, then that'll be the last time he touches the plane. If he tries to get the plane marked unairworthy, he'll find himself with a lawsuit.

But, I interview my mechanics first so that I have reason to believe they're reasonable people, and as such don't have problems there. At least haven't yet.

Something else that's rarely covered in the 'TBO' discussion is the way we treat the entire engine as a TBO limit. I can assure you that a properly lubricated crankshaft and camshaft in most light GA engines will go way past 1800 or 2000 hours. However, the exhaust valve and guide in the high compression types of these engines may not even make 1000 hours, depending on a lot of variable.

So, it's like the Savvy aviator says, consider everything outside the cases, including cylinders to be accessories that each have their own wear cases. One could run across a cylinder that had 40/80 compression, was still making decent power, discover that it made noise out the exhaust(common) - then remove that jug, replace the guide and valve, grind the seat and put the jug right back on again for another 800-1000 hours.

Too often I've seen or heard of a mech getting 1 or 2 jugs with low compression dictate that the engine is 'tired' and needed a complete OH. Upon teardown inspection, the crank mics good, and the cam shows light/modest wear, rod ends are ok, if maybe a little loose, but the owner has just spent $$$$$$$,$$ for basically a set of rings, rod bearings and some valves and head work.

Something else that's rarely covered in the 'TBO' discussion is the way we treat the entire engine as a TBO limit. I can assure you that a properly lubricated crankshaft and camshaft in most light GA engines will go way past 1800 or 2000 hours. However, the exhaust valve and guide in the high compression types of these engines may not even make 1000 hours, depending on a lot of variable.

So, it's like the Savvy aviator says, consider everything outside the cases, including cylinders to be accessories that each have their own wear cases. One could run across a cylinder that had 40/80 compression, was still making decent power, discover that it made noise out the exhaust(common) - then remove that jug, replace the guide and valve, grind the seat and put the jug right back on again for another 800-1000 hours.

Too often I've seen or heard of a mech getting 1 or 2 jugs with low compression dictate that the engine is 'tired' and needed a complete OH. Upon teardown inspection, the crank mics good, and the cam shows light/modest wear, rod ends are ok, if maybe a little loose, but the owner has just spent $$$$$$$,$$ for basically a set of rings, rod bearings and some valves and head work.

It does happen.

That is a valid point, here is my OPINION on it.

I don't see the economy in replacing multiple cylinders as you approach TBO. I am happy to do it if it is what the customer requests but...

The thing is going to need bottom end work eventually. When you replace a cylinder you are betting that you will get your money's worth out of it before then engine needs to be overhauled and the cylinder done again. On a low to mid time engine that is a good bet. As the hours go up on the bottom end the bet gets worse and worse. That is the difference between an accessory and a cylinder. You do not HAVE to (often a very good idea however) overhaul accessories at engine OH, but you do have to hack into the cylinder, regardless of the hours on it.

My standard advice for my customers is not to throw too much money at an engine at or beyond TBO. However every case is different.

If this overhaul business is so unnecessary then how many people out there are flying an engine over 2500 hours?

I don't see the economy in replacing multiple cylinders as you approach TBO. I am happy to do it if it is what the customer requests but...

I can't disagree with you on that, however I never said to replace a cylinder/multiple cylinder(assemblies). I said to remove the jug, fix the problem and put the jug back on. This would be more akin to an IRAN than a R&R.

The labor to R&R one jug on my big Conti engine, and the cost of a valve, guide and seat grind is peanuts compared to buying a new cylinder(asm). I know, because I did it recently.

I can't disagree with you on that, however I never said to replace a cylinder/multiple cylinder(assemblies). I said to remove the jug, fix the problem and put the jug back on. This would be more akin to an IRAN than a R&R.

The labor to R&R one jug on my big Conti engine, and the cost of a valve, guide and seat grind is peanuts compared to buying a new cylinder(asm). I know, because I did it recently.

No argument, just realize you are in a vanishingly small minority. Every time I have failed a cylinder on a customers plane when asked if they want a repair, overhaul or new they have sprung for new cylinders. Every last one of them.

No argument, just realize you are in a vanishingly small minority. Every time I have failed a cylinder on a customers plane when asked if they want a repair, overhaul or new they have sprung for new cylinders. Every last one of them.

Yup. See post #1! :drink:

Yup. See post #1! :drink:

Hey I am a service industry worker, I'll give you a restoration or a plane that rough around the edges but airworthy or anything in between. I work for YOU and will do what you ask. I just won't approve work that reduces the chance of repeat business, due to your crashing or my loosing my certificate.

IOW so long as you let me do what keeps you legal and safe I will do as much or as little as you see fit.

For those with more money than brains go ahead and throw another $25k or $35k at it...15% my ass.

We put 3500 hrs on a 0320 and when it was disassembled nearly all the parts were within new limits and all were within serviceable limits. It is being rebuilt as we speak.

For those with more money than brains go ahead and throw another $25k or $35k at it...15% my ass.

We put 3500 hrs on a 0320 and when it was disassembled nearly all the parts were within new limits and all were within serviceable limits. It is being rebuilt as we speak.

Can you add some detail please, I'd just like to know for comparrison.

When (year) was the engine assemble and last overhauled? No corrosion issues? No corrosion of the crank bore, cam or lifters?

Where has the airplane been based the last 20 years?

Hey I am a service industry worker, I'll give you a restoration or a plane that rough around the edges but airworthy or anything in between. I work for YOU and will do what you ask. I just won't approve work that reduces the chance of repeat business, due to your crashing or my loosing my certificate.

IOW so long as you let me do what keeps you legal and safe I will do as much or as little as you see fit.

I think we're in violent agreement here. This whole post is about pricey annuals. I've tried to offer ways to reduce them. many owners don't want to follow that advice, and listen to the A&P instead. Now, any A&P faced with 2-3 hours labor, and a valve fix or a new asm plus another hour of labor, I'm sure they are gonna support the bigger bill.

Lots of great pistons, rings, wrist pins are tossed every year when the only thing wrong is a burned or leaky valve. Sad - once in a while, the new stuff is worse than what was taken out, and causes extra problems later.

Probably a lot are past TBO and a lot of people will argue that is no problem at all as owners, and won't touch them as buyers unless the price reflects the full cost of an overhaul plus some.

There is also a risk of making a useable core non-usable by flying it to failure, which would negate the financial advantage of additional hours flown.

I know why Western Skyways wants to blow smoke up our ass....I'm unsure why you do? This is like watching fox news. 10% truth exaggerated to the point where it bares no resemblance to the truth.

Alex, I am not a mechanic but I did take the savvy aviator seminar. I recommend you look into it as it will save you the cost of the course every single year you own an airplane.

...past TBO and a lot of people will argue that is no problem at all as owners, and won't touch them as buyers unless the price reflects the full cost of an overhaul plus some...

You're right to an extent but these are two different perspectives - are you concerned about the health of the engine or the perceived market value of the aircraft based on some numbers in a book?

Obviously most buyers are going to try to leverage whatever they can to make the deal better for themselves and that's going to be true whether they believe it to be a real factor or not.

But there are still good, honest people out there despite how it looks. I know because I've met a bunch if them.

You would be wrong in my case:

My Cherokee had 2168 hrs when I needed a cracked jug fixed. Signature engine $20k plus install; Field OH probably in the $16-18k plus RR; Or refurbished Jug with cerminel treatment $745 plus 4 hrs RR.

So $1000 for an engine that was running perfectly, get it back in 2-3 days or $16-23k get it back in a season or two.

Only a mechanic can't figure this out.

A year later and 225 more hours, at annual 2nd jug again needed fixed for cracks. Again I go with the $1000 option.

5 more years later and 1100 hrs past the 2000 hr tbo I sell the airplane for about what I paid for it 11 years earlier....

The new buyer is an A&P/IA and after renting it out for another 200-300 hrs, tears down the engine for a field OH. So I go visit him and ask what is the condition of each part......all are within serviceable or new limits. I said so you didn't need to tear it down yet did you? He said "well, huh? Now I know."

In this market there is no way the simple 9k TTAF vfr cherokee is going to be worth as much more than it was as the additional maintenance costs, even with a 0 hrs SMOH.

The thing is going to need bottom end work eventually. When you replace a cylinder you are betting that you will get your money's worth out of it before then engine needs to be overhauled and the cylinder done again. On a low to mid time engine that is a good bet. As the hours go up on the bottom end the bet gets worse and worse. That is the difference between an accessory and a cylinder. You do not HAVE to (often a very good idea however) overhaul accessories at engine OH, but you do have to hack into the cylinder, regardless of the hours on it.

My standard advice for my customers is not to throw too much money at an engine at or beyond TBO. However every case is different.

Last edited:

I only put new cylinder on a new OH....otherwise Iran or rebuilt.

When (year) was the engine assemble and last overhauled? No corrosion issues? No corrosion of the crank bore, cam or lifters?

26 years ago the plane had a rebuilt engine in State of Washington where it was based. The boeing employee flew it to Wichita when he was moved here. When he got moved back to Seattle he couldn't afford the plane there. So about half the life of this engine was in Seattle and the other half in KS.

I bought the plane 7700 TTAF or there about and 2000 TBO. 11 years ago.

The last 11 years it has been in Wichita KS N6496R at 3AU airfield in a hangar all but one year that I owned it.

I sold it last year about Sept and the new owner/mechanic is rebuilding it now.

In addition to oil analysis; boroscope; lack of oil leakage; no metal in the screen or filter; when you do replace a jug(s) you can visually inspect the bottom end for pitting or spalding, you can measure lift on the lifters. You can tap out and visually inspect the hollow core crank as well and do the wobble test to test the valve guides.

Last edited:
In addition to oil analysis; boroscope; lack of oil leakage; no metal in the screen or filter; when you do replace a jug(s) you can visually inspect the bottom end for pitting or spalding, you can measure lift on the lifters.

True. And maybe a good practice since cam impection is essentially impossible without pulling cylinders for inspection.

Is there a baseline listed anywhere for lift?

Back