What makes for expensive annuals?

My feeling is that many of us owners feel we might be under spending on maintenance when we probably are over spending. The thing is we might not be targeting where the best bang for buck is on maintenance.

Accessories are the things that tend to leave you stranded while out of town so when my annual was done, if money left in my budget, I would rebuild an accessory or two. Starter $175, Bendex mags ea $275/300; New Carb $400; Alternator rebuilt; serpentine belt; battery.

Things that if they go out at the wrong time could kill you: Vacumn pump New $275; DG rebuilt $165; tach cable; new champion spark plugs $200; I had all my lines/hoses made for me at Kelle Aerospace here in Wichita; new scat hose.....

I thought I would rebuild the engine one time or another so I rebuilt or replaced everything else just the same....the plane was in very good condition and with the exception of a battery the first year I owned it, it never left me broke down out of town and I canceled very few flights for maintenance.

My feeling is that many of us owners feel we might be under spending on maintenance when we probably are over spending. The thing is we might not be targeting where the best bang for buck is on maintenance.

Accessories are the things that tend to leave you stranded while out of town so when my annual was done, if money left in my budget, I would rebuild an accessory or two. Starter $175, Bendex mags ea $275/300; New Carb $400; Alternator rebuilt; serpentine belt; battery.

This is spot on. Rarely have I had a problem with stuff in the case. I've had exhaust issues, cracked jug, starter fail, etc.

I lost the starter in Taos, and went to PHX with it, then stopped in El Paso and finally home. Hand propping that damn thing was a pain in the patootie.

Tony, not going to argue with you as it happens, quite often actually, IF the plane is used. Honestly most of the fleet is probably lucky to make TBO due to corrosion issues.

Something to remember, just by being interested enough to participate on a forum like this you have shown more interest than the average owner.

I know why Western Skyways wants to blow smoke up our ass....I'm unsure why you do? This is like watching fox news. 10% truth exaggerated to the point where it bares no resemblance to the truth.

Alex, I am not a mechanic but I did take the savvy aviator seminar. I recommend you look into it as it will save you the cost of the course every single year you own an airplane.

I get it, you bought a piper cheap, you flew it around for next to nothing, it all has worked out perfectly, that's wonderful. You seem to believe that your individual experience is some kind of all encompassing truth for every owner and aircraft. Anyone that offers different information or opinions is a liar, idiot, or somehow motivated to purposely mis-guide others. Here let me make a post that I know you'll agree with:

If you want to know anything about aircraft ownership, flying, or life in general PM Tony his word is undisputed gospel.

I get it, you bought a piper cheap, you flew it around for next to nothing, it all has worked out perfectly, that's wonderful. You seem to believe that your individual experience is some kind of all encompassing truth for every owner and aircraft. Anyone that offers different information or opinions is a liar, idiot, or somehow motivated to purposely mis-guide others. Here let me make a post that I know you'll agree with:

If you want to know anything about aircraft ownership, flying, or life in general PM Tony his word is undisputed gospel.

Whoa, hoss. I've also done similar to Tony. I've put a few miles on an older plane with self-assisted mx and going past TBO. My per-mile costs are about as low as one can get and yet I've had costly work done on my old plane as well.

This isn't about one guy, it's about the fleet being over maintained, or maybe more accurate incorrectly maintained. The Savvy aviator column is full of things like this and we're not alone when it comes to fixing what needs fixing when it needs fixing and not throwing money at stuff that doesn't need replacement.

Tony, not going to argue with you as it happens, quite often actually, IF the plane is used. Honestly most of the fleet is probably lucky to make TBO due to corrosion issues.

Something to remember, just by being interested enough to participate on a forum like this you have shown more interest than the average owner.

Point taken, I am probably a bit more active with my maintenance than many and while I owned the Cherokee I seldom flew less than 3 hrs a week so that had to help keep things lubed. And again the 0320 is probably a bit more robust than many engines.

Point taken, I am probably a bit more active with my maintenance than many and while I owned the Cherokee I seldom flew less than 3 hrs a week so that had to help keep things lubed. And again the 0320 is probably a bit more robust than many engines.

Yep, we took an evil H2AD to 3000hrs, only pulled it because we had a spare and it was going to rain all week. As a busy rental avoiding any down time was a big consideration.

I'm just trying to help those guys who do not have deep pockets to still be part of the ownership club. Flying does not have to be expensive. There are old myths like TBO which is time based maintenance rather than conditioned based maintenance, in aviation and I am trying to save you money. But if you think I am wrong please feel free not to take any maintenance classes, not to subscribe to TAP, not to take any A&P courses like I have, not to take the savvy Aviator seminar (owners perspective maintenance seminar) and leave a blank check with your mechanic.

Come see me in a year or two and lets compare our relative maintenance and we will talk.

I realize I might come on strong but there are a few of us standing against the tide of tradition.....and new guys don't know which way is up. But you can also ask Wayne from Texas, Henning, Docmirror.....and others. But remember I have absolutely nothing to gain by telling you wrong.

So feel free to spend 40-50% of your aviation budget on unnecessary maintenance.

I'm just trying to help those guys who do not have deep pockets to still be part of the ownership club. Flying does not have to be expensive. There are old myths like TBO which is time based maintenance rather than conditioned based maintenance, in aviation and I am trying to save you money. But if you think I am wrong please feel free not to take any maintenance classes, not to subscribe to TAP, not to take any A&P courses like I have, not to take the savvy Aviator seminar (owners perspective maintenance seminar) and leave a blank check with your mechanic.

Come see me in a year or two and lets compare our relative maintenance and we will talk.

I realize I might come on strong but there are a few of us standing against the tide of tradition.....and new guys don't know which way is up. But you can also ask Wayne from Texas, Henning, Docmirror.....and others. But remember I have absolutely nothing to gain by telling you wrong.

So feel free to spend 40-50% of your aviation budget on unnecessary maintenance.

Tony-

I know your heart is in the right place and you are offering your experiences with the best of intentions as am I. Talk all you want about them, different opinions and experiences are what makes this board valuable. Please just skip the personal insult preamble every time you quote me.

Back