What is the most cost effective solution to ADSB out?

Fatherof2

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Fatherof2
Is the Uavionix Skybeacon the way to go?

Anybody know of a used one for sale?

Thanks for any input.

Is the Uavionix Skybeacon the way to go?

Anybody know of a used one for sale?

Thanks for any input.
There's "cost effective" and then there's "cheap". Skybeacon is certainly cheap and probably the cheapest for the foreseeable future. Whether it's cost effective depends on the condition of your antenna/wiring/encoder and your plan for when your transponder dies.

Transponder makes a difference. I’ve been running a tailbeacon for 4 years now and am very happy with it. Told my avionics shop what I was planning during a transponder check and they said the old Narco was doing great and I’d have no issues. They were right. $2K well spent.

I have a GDL-82. It "works" but ATC sees me at 2 locations: where I am and 500ft below. Never great.

I'd go over it with your shop.

My aircraft is in the shop for an upgrade. It has the Skybeacon, wing mounted ADSB (installed in 2019 according to the logbook). I’m getting a whole new Garmin panel with ADSB in/out and won’t be needing it. It worked great with my old beat up Narco transponder. If you’re interested DM me, the upgrade should be done soon. I’d have to order a replacement nav light for the left side, but should be able to ship it within a month.

Depends what you have in your plane now. In my case, the quickest most cost effective way was to upgrade by Garmin 33 to the ES version.

Transponder makes a difference. I’ve been running a tailbeacon for 4 years now and am very happy with it. Told my avionics shop what I was planning during a transponder check and they said the old Narco was doing great and I’d have no issues. They were right. $2K well spent.
My experience echoes Manac's. Been running a self-installed Tailbeacon since 2019 with a Narco AT150 and it all works perfectly. I no longer think about it, and every once in a while I request a PAPR to see how it's doing.

I also picked up a working Narco AT150 from ebay for when/if my current unit fails.

Have you ever used or want ADSB in as well as out?

I'm still waiting on a $1K 2" panel mount all in one (xponder/gps/ADSB/) that supports anonymous mode and doesn't replace a nav light.

I'm still waiting on a $1K 2" panel mount all in one (xponder/gps/ADSB/) that supports anonymous mode and doesn't replace a nav light.
If it's a transponder+ADS-B, it's going to be 1090. 1090 doesn't support anonymous mode, so you will never see such a product.

The most cost effective ADSB out solution is to not fly in airspace that requires it.
ff85e99d57891ed541467c340f43c556.jpg

There’s also a Google Earth kmz file to show the same thing, geo referenced.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/technology/equipadsb/research/airspace#interactiveMap

If it's a transponder+ADS-B, it's going to be 1090. 1090 doesn't support anonymous mode, so you will never see such a product.
There should be no technical reason why you can't pair a UAT ADSB with a transponder, though it might require more parts?

The most cost effective ADSB out solution is to not fly in airspace that requires it.

That's all I do anyway. I don't need it, thus my reluctance to spend more than my hypothetical $1000 box.

That Garmin lobbied and convinced the government that airplanes were multiplying like rabbits and would soon fall out of the sky crashing thus making ADSB mandatory revolts my gut. That and the resulting intentional subsequent price in the cost of avionics combined with Garmin’s closed architecture after their capstone assurances was a big turd.

Hooray to uavionix for their inventiveness with tailbeacon. The downside is people steal them even if they can’t reuse them.

This is the first I’ve heard of an issue with the GDL82. I install them often. Three antenna cables (in from transponder, out to transponder antenna, and waas gps antenna), power and ground and you’re in business - no one steals your inside mounted ADSB. The GDL84 is only slightly more work along with the 88. Predatory shops of course love charging a ton more for having anything brand G installed along with their “we are backed up X months because we are busy printing money with only new avionics”.

In a smaller package, the Freeflight xvr does in and out. Works great.

Navworx did fine until supply chain antics and competitive crap got them to make a mistake and use non certified GPS units and lying to the FAA on a SIL reply. A $5m fine took them out.

Trig, Dynon, Avidyne and appareo do fine solutions - the market demand is sadly too small to mean anything against the competitive monopoly of team G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about in the experimental market? What’s the least expensive solution if you can install it yourself?

Not a big Garmin fan, but SkyBeacon wouldn't work with my aircraft due to configuration of my wingtip lights. Wound up installing the GDL-82 during an Annual Inspection while the interior was out, and its has worked flawlessly since then (4 years). I have a 23 year old transponder (KT-76C).

Back