What happened to VOR airborne checkpoints?

asicer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
asicer
Looking at the latest d-CS edition, seems like all of them went away except for a handful of states. I seem to remember them being listed there a few months ago.

Partially due to a lot of VORs going decom over the last year.
That doesn't explain the airborne checkpoints that should not have been affected by decommissioned VORs.

What is a VOR airborne check point? I’m not familiar with that.

I've always done dual VOR check in flight. I don't think we have VOR checkpoint close to where I am at.

I knew of ground VOT, and checking VOR in the air against a working VOR station. My CFII and I haven’t done a check using a ground reference

That doesn't explain the airborne checkpoints that should not have been affected by decommissioned VORs.

Due to FAA budget cuts, they aren’t flight checking ground points and some circle to land approaches are being removed from publication. The FAA is removing VORs ahead of schedule and removing RCOs. Add the airports that are removing LOCs. Technology has changed things.

Due to FAA budget cuts, they aren’t flight checking ground points and some circle to land approaches are being removed from publication. The FAA is removing VORs ahead of schedule and removing RCOs. Add the airports that are removing LOCs. Technology has changed things.
So was it announced that airborne VOR checkpoints are being removed? Or is it something they're doing quietly?

Back