What don’t you know that you don’t know

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
There are things you can’t know until you experience them or somebody explains it to you.“CFI I expect you to know these things!” so how am I supposed to know what I don’t know? Where is this information? Who would tell me this information? This is something that I find myself at fault at, how many people have bought a plane form someone with the new 406mhz ELT and not sent in the change so they know who to look for. Some things we just take for granted people know, and some of those things will kill you. Anybody got some more don't know items to add to the list.

Last edited:
If you lose your radio/s, pull the circuit breaker for your audio panel. If it was wired correctly the radio may still work in mono without the audio panel.

There are things you can’t know until you experience them or somebody explains it to you.“CFI I expect you to know these things!” so how am I supposed to know what I don’t know? Where is this information? Who would tell me this information? This is something that I find myself at fault at, how many people have bought a plane form someone with the new 406mhz ELT and not sent in the change so they know who to look for. Some things we just take for granted people know, and some of those things will kill you. Anybody got some more don't know items to add to the list.
A pilot's license is a license to learn a lot more. It does not mean that you have arrived. One should buy a copy of the Advanced Pilot's Flight Manual, by WIlliam Kerschner, and go through it and find out a whole lot of stuff you didn't know.

51P1de7khaL._SX382_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Then you go buy a copy of Aircraft Systems for Pilots, By Dale De Remer, and go through that too, finding a lot more stuff you had no idea about.

51nVYVeaDGL._SX382_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Neither of these books are cheap, but you get the education you pay for. If even one bit of knowledge you gained from one of these books saves your life, or saves wrecking your airplane, the prices start to look really inexpensive.

Then there's the Aeronautical Information Manual, where you'll find things you should have picked up in PPL groundschool but probably didn't:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/aim_basic_w_chg_1_2_3_dtd_12-31-20.pdf

Might be a paper copy available, too. We have a similar manual in Canada.

Another good one:

51E-R3EfwyL._SX382_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

One final picture:

proxy-image

That little slice of "what you know?" That's being really generous. None of us has a handle on anything more than an almost invisible sliver of the body of knowledge.

Much as I like the Kershner books, he did die over a decade ago.

As Mark Twain said, "It's not what you don't know that will kill you. It's what you think you know that ain't so."

There are known unknowns, and there are unknown unknowns.

If a tire looks a little low on air and you go with it low, landing with hard braking the tire could slip on the rim due to low pressure. If the tire slips on the rim the tube in the tire will go with the tire and the valve stem will stay in the rim and rip out of the tube, now your on the runway with a blown out tire.

A pilot's license is a license to learn a lot more. It does not mean that you have arrived. One should buy a copy of the Advanced Pilot's Flight Manual, by WIlliam Kerschner, and go through it and find out a whole lot of stuff you didn't know.

51P1de7khaL._SX382_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Then you go buy a copy of Aircraft Systems for Pilots, By Dale De Remer, and go through that too, finding a lot more stuff you had no idea about.

51nVYVeaDGL._SX382_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Neither of these books are cheap, but you get the education you pay for. If even one bit of knowledge you gained from one of these books saves your life, or saves wrecking your airplane, the prices start to look really inexpensive.

Then there's the Aeronautical Information Manual, where you'll find things you should have picked up in PPL groundschool but probably didn't:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/media/aim_basic_w_chg_1_2_3_dtd_12-31-20.pdf

Might be a paper copy available, too. We have a similar manual in Canada.

Another good one:

51E-R3EfwyL._SX382_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

One final picture:

proxy-image

That little slice of "what you know?" That's being really generous. None of us has a handle on anything more than an almost invisible sliver of the body of knowledge.
I prefer the onion ring description. Each time you expand your knowledge one ring, you learn about the existence of even more stuff you don’t know. The next ring is always bigger.

Be sure to have at least three folks in the plane. With only two folks, the person that didn't pass the gas will immediately know who did pass the gas.....

Bob Segar sang ... "Wish I didn't now what I didn't know then."

If you lose your radio/s, pull the circuit breaker for your audio panel. If it was wired correctly the radio may still work in mono without the audio panel.
Now how would you know that...:rolleyes:

There are known unknowns, and there are unknown unknowns.

When Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld uttered that statement in 2003, he was ridiculed by the press. It was, in fact, a valid and insightful expression, and has become part of the modern lexicon.

Back