What are the regulations regarding off airport landings in a non-emergency?

It is illegal to land on the New York State Thruway without prior written approval of the NY Department of Transportation. That is specifically cited, and that is relatively recent restriction.
But, I (still) can't find out anything else about landing on roads in New York State.

Whenever you are landing on a public road, power lines are the 800 lb gorilla in that particular room.

Ship, NYS has “Casual Landing Rights” whatever that means? To me, I think it means you can land and take off on private property with permission and if it’s safe. If you want to put in an airstrip, there are rules for that, both NYS and FEDs.

Oh, and that’s outside of NYC of course!

In Texas the County Judge has to approve landing on roads

Texas DOT has a great handbook on building your own runway on your land.

It is illegal to land on the New York State Thruway without prior written approval of the NY Department of Transportation. That is specifically cited, and that is relatively recent restriction.
But, I (still) can't find out anything else about landing on roads in New York State.

Whenever you are landing on a public road, power lines are the 800 lb gorilla in that particular room.
Who would want to land in NY anyway?

I’ve landed on several roads, mostly dirt and gravel, in Oklahoma. Used to land on turn row in fields. Dad frequently flew ag flights from roads rather than ferry long distances. Never got in trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OMG, I can't go into why with out going political, but read the safe act. signed into law by Como.
I just don't understand how people can be so obsessed by politics that they judge an area or a city based solely on the political leanings of people who live there. :rolleyes1:

I lived about 45 miles north of NYC for four years. Spent a fair amount of time there. It was okay and more interesting at first, but not someplace I would want to stay for an extended amount of time. There was never a want for something to do there however.

I just don't understand how people can be so obsessed by politics that they judge an area or a city based solely on the political leanings of people who live there. :rolleyes1:

Because FedGov is far too powerful when it can vote itself money via loans instead of operating on revenues actually collected.

This leads to “political leanings” of masses in overcrowded hell holes creating laws at the Federal level that otherwise nobody would even consider valid or even interesting in the slightest away from those limited areas. Mob rule.

Federalism and Statism run amok. In our country’s history changing to a popular election for Senators was probably the second largest mistake behind implementing a national income tax. Both destroyed significant designed in checks and balances.

My family still lives there, It ain't the politics, But the politics is the root of the problem. When I was growing up in Delaware County, the whole economy was based upon making milk. Farmers were making a living on 100+ ac, 40-60 cows, raising kids.
The politics made laws, raised taxes, and drove the cows off the land. and the economy went with them. Now there is no way to make a living in my home town, the kids I was raised with have all move to where they can make a living, G/ma & G/pa have pasted away and their big beautiful victorian homes are in ruin.
Damn near brought me to tears, when I found out my home town is best known as the place to get the highest welfare check in the state.

Everyone is so SURE of the correctness of their political views that they just HAVE to post them on an aviation forum. Trouble is, the other side is SURE of the correctness of their political views too.

My family still lives there, It ain't the politics, But the politics is the root of the problem. When I was growing up in Delaware County, the whole economy was based upon making milk. Farmers were making a living on 100+ ac, 40-60 cows, raising kids.
The politics made laws, raised taxes, and drove the cows off the land. and the economy went with them. Now there is no way to make a living in my home town, the kids I was raised with have all move to where they can make a living, G/ma & G/pa have pasted away and their big beautiful victorian homes are in ruin.
Damn near brought me to tears, when I found out my home town is best known as the place to get the highest welfare check in the state.

IOW, milking different cows.

Why do you believe I based my opinions on the political leanings of the people that live there?
You may not realize the the major portion of NY is Republican, but the 5 Bureaus of the city carry the state at every election. And that is why companies like Remmington Arms have moved out of the state.
My Sister pays over $15,000 per year in state land and school taxes, plus a state sales tax, county sales tax.

Why do you believe I based my opinions on the political leanings of the people that live there?
Because Shepherd's post which I initially replied to made direct reference to the political leanings of New York City residents, and you appeared to be chiming in in support of what he said. You also referenced a piece of legislation that you disagree with, and that is inherently a political discussion.

Because Shepherd's post which I initially replied to made direct reference to the political leanings of New York City residents, and you appeared to be chiming in in support of what he said. You also referenced a piece of legislation that you disagree with, and that is inherently a political discussion.
Wrong assumption, NY voters aren't all from the city. I base my opinions upon the laws that are enacted by those elected by the city.

Ship, NYS has “Casual Landing Rights” whatever that means? To me, I think it means you can land and take off on private property with permission and if it’s safe. If you want to put in an airstrip, there are rules for that, both NYS and FEDs.

Oh, and that’s outside of NYC of course!

Some guy did the NYC thing and landed in Manhattan, twice. My buddy sort of successfully landed on the Major Deegan.
I think I'll "test" the casual landing rights thing. There is a 2 mile , straight and level, stretch of road in front of my daughters house in boondocks, upstate NY I could try out.

Wrong assumption, NY voters aren't all from the city. I base my opinions upon the laws that are enacted by those elected by the city.
I may not have noticed that you were changing the subject, but it's still politics.

Because Shepherd's post which I initially replied to made direct reference to the political leanings of New York City residents, and you appeared to be chiming in in support of what he said.

You also referenced a piece of legislation that you disagree with, and that is inherently a political discussion.

No, that's a legal discussion, because it is now a law. A really bad law.

Since I seem to have gotten a couple of people in trouble for agreeing with me about New York State I will now hold up my 1 iron and draw the lightning back to me.
New York City, Albany and Buffalo are liberal hell holes. They are systematically destroying what used to be a pretty nice place to live.
I, also, am from "upstate". My mother's people were all farmers. The farms are all gone. Taxed and regulated out of existence. The only farms left are "gentleman farmers" who own huge plots of land and don't actually produce anything.
In the last 8 years, the government of the State of New York (read NYC, Albany and Buffalo) now tax upstate counties to prop up a corrupt and bankrupt Mass Transit Authority and Port Authority. We are subsidizing the bus and subway systems for the teeming masses in the City, and there are are no bus and subway systems in "upstate" NY.
Under Obama our electrical bills have tripled. The Democrats shut down the power stations in and around NYC and now they are shutting down The Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant. "Upstate" New York is now subsidizing electricity for the people in NYC, and Albany, because it's "not fair" that it's so expensive to live in NYC.
We are the most heavily taxed state in the Union, we have one of the most corrupt political systems outside of Chicago, the welfare system is completely out of control, the state is investigating whether it can take a private citizens 401 and pension money "for the good of the citizens" and dole it back to us, a la Social Security, and if our current Governor gets his way every felon in the state will be allowed to vote in our next election.
Now THAT'S f-ing political.

For those of you who took some heat from our left leaning members because of me, I humbly beg your forgiveness.

No, that's a legal discussion, because it is now a law. A really bad law.

Since I seem to have gotten a couple of people in trouble for agreeing with me about New York State I will now hold up my 1 iron and draw the lightning back to me.
New York City, Albany and Buffalo are liberal hell holes. They are systematically destroying what used to be a pretty nice place to live.
I, also, am from "upstate". My mother's people were all farmers. The farms are all gone. Taxed and regulated out of existence. The only farms left are "gentleman farmers" who own huge plots of land and don't actually produce anything.
In the last 8 years, the government of the State of New York (read NYC, Albany and Buffalo) now tax upstate counties to prop up a corrupt and bankrupt Mass Transit Authority and Port Authority. We are subsidizing the bus and subway systems for the teeming masses in the City, and there are are no bus and subway systems in "upstate" NY.
Under Obama our electrical bills have tripled. The Democrats shut down the power stations in and around NYC and now they are shutting down The Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant. "Upstate" New York is now subsidizing electricity for the people in NYC, and Albany, because it's "not fair" that it's so expensive to live in NYC.
We are the most heavily taxed state in the Union, we have one of the most corrupt political systems outside of Chicago, the welfare system is completely out of control, the state is investigating whether it can take a private citizens 401 and pension money "for the good of the citizens" and dole it back to us, a la Social Security, and if our current Governor gets his way every felon in the state will be allowed to vote in our next election.
Now THAT'S f-ing political.

For those of you who took some heat from our left leaning members because of me, I humbly beg your forgiveness.
If someone said, "Texas (or wherever) is a right-wing hell hole," it would be just as bad, IMO, because it would be guaranteed to start an argument, and this is not supposed to be a political forum.

If someone said, "Texas (or wherever) is a right-wing hell hole," it would be just as bad, IMO, because it would be guaranteed to start an argument
Let's say Texas is a "right-wing" hell hole... then why in the hell are so many left wingers moving there? For the life of me, I've never been able to understand that reasoning. :dunno:

Texas, because of the growth of the cities, is headed down the same path as New York and California, and a whole lot of other states.
Bread and circuses, bread and circuses. The tyranny of the people who contribute nothing.

It takes both left wing and right wing to fly straight. Otherwise, you'll spin out of control.

Let's say Texas is a "right-wing" hell hole... then why in the hell are so many left wingers moving there? For the life of me, I've never been able to understand that reasoning. :dunno:

Reminds me of this

But instead of fleeing a country, it's fleeing a state for another state.

I wasn't saying it is. I was just giving an example of inflammatory rhetoric. I haven't spent much time in Texas, but the little that I have, it seemed like a nice enough place to me.

If someone said, "Texas (or wherever) is a right-wing hell hole," it would be just as bad, IMO, because it would be guaranteed to start an argument, and this is not supposed to be a political forum.
Well the fact is, they don't say it. because it ain't true.
You can select any Liberal democratic run area you like, they are all trending in the same direction, higher taxes, low employment, high crime.

Easy..... Work..... that they can't find in their liberal hell hole.

In Texas a democrat is a republican anywhere else. We have ways of making people assimilate. Like we don't honk at people here because 2/3 of the people are carrying.

Not a problem , I whole heartily agree, with you.

but never worry some one will whine to the Admin and get this thread shut down.
Simply because they don't understand that adult pilots can discuss politics in a civil manor.

And OBTW. Texas is the last state I'd choose to live in. Any state that has a temp swing of +125 degrees to -10 degrees YGTBSM

Is a Navajo difficult to fly on one engine? I would think it has decent single engine performance.

Single engine is not much of a problem. Little to very little single engine climb rate when loaded but It will still fly. It can difficult single engine if the cowl flaps are left open. It has HUGE cowl flaps that need to be closed for single engine operations.

Each engine has 3 fuel pumps, so I am baffled as to why they didn't turn on the high pressure pump (also known as the emergency pump) and fly to the airport.

Back