What are some of your other hobbies?

it seems like playing cards on a regular basis is more mid-western than either coast... we played a lot growing up (not that PA is mid-west but we are really close to Ohio so I used to hear that when I moved here, a lot... "you mid-westerner") and in fact my family still does when we all get together for hols.

Anything west of Harrisburg, PA IS Ohio. I grew up in eastern PA outside of Philly and its definitely east coast and we played cards growing up, Pinnocle (sp?), Gin, Poker.

LOL! I'm usually thinking along the lines of that quote on the way up...until I reach THE SUMMIT. You know what I mean?

I will probably never have the opportunity to climb Denali until I leave this park for the next one, which seems illogical I know but is a function of timing and time commitment. In the meantime I have to be satisfied with the occasional visit to one of the camps, and climbing other, minor peaks.

Good luck, I think that winter climbs are the bomb. Not so much up here though, too $@%& cold.

I've only topped out in "extreme" conditions on sub 3k' stuff, so I haven't had the rush of 12+ days pitched out slogging up big piles o rock. I will say, every time you hear the tink of crampons on rock, when your legs are like lead and you think "How am I going to keep balance this time", I question my sanity.

I will say, though, blowing through the crux on some of the sport climbs I've done, I think "WTF am I doing? EVERYTHING HURTS", but that last move, just as you top out... mmmmmmmmm delicious.

If you (you work for NPS?) ever are out this way... the Presidential's in NH and Acadia in ME are awesome. No 20k stuff, but awesome none-the-less.

Cheers,

-Andrew

yea elizabeth, i grew up with Skip Bo and Uno, Rummy in several variations, Hearts, Kings Corners, some 500, later on Texas No Hold Em, as a friend of mine calls it. Course when i moved to college got to learn a few others...

no nothing like that! drinking games, of course i only watched, sometimes participated with a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper.

this thread has really taken off! so many cool things we all do. I think you can tell more about someone by what they like to do in their SPARE time than their job. it's funny that around here the first question standard is "what do you do" or "where do you work" when it should really be "what are your hobbies".

curious - how many card players do we have here? not a hobby I guess, more of a pastime, but, it seems like playing cards on a regular basis is more mid-western than either coast... we played a lot growing up (not that PA is mid-west but we are really close to Ohio so I used to hear that when I moved here, a lot... "you mid-westerner") and in fact my family still does when we all get together for hols.

Cards were a big deal in my family. Any game was, really, as the winter holidays were generally spent on the island, and losing power was pretty frequent. Cribbage, poker, rummy, and spit were all the big games. I remember on Christmas when a brutal Nor'easter blew through, and we played the most epic of card games, Liverpool Rummy. 12 rounds, takes about 6 hours for 6 people to play through an entire game. Great cards.

I play poker with friends for fun and profit, but prefer rummy when just relaxing and having fun.

I friend who went to Purdue just introduced me to Euchre, which is the most evil game (you get rewarded for lying and not being caught!) We play it after a long bike ride, while drinking a brew or three and eating pretzels. It's not the same without the beer and pretzels.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Last edited:
I was a skier back in the dark ages. Wonder if it's something you never forget how to do, like riding a bicycle, or flying an airplane. On second thought, I never did it very well the first time. I remember coming down the hill in that toboggan...

Hummmm... I think another trip to Denver is in order !

I haven't skied for 15 yrs, so we can both make fools of ourselves :)

Hey E...

I've brewed for a long time. Have a bunch aging as we speak. If you ever have the time, fly up here and you can brew a batch with us...

Cheers,

-andrew

I'll see you in a few hrs Andrew. What time do you get off work? :)

Currently we are sailing a 2006 Hunter 36 with all the toys.

1994 Hunter 23.5. Hasn't been on its trailer in a number of years and doesn't get out of its slip nearly enough (and won't until the weather improves late next spring).

Oh, and I built many models when I was a kid. You couldn't see the ceiling of the basement for all the airplanes (mostly 1/48 and 1/72 scale) hanging there.

1994 Hunter 23.5. Hasn't been on its trailer in a number of years and doesn't get out of its slip nearly enough (and won't until the weather improves late next spring).

Oh, and I built many models when I was a kid. You couldn't see the ceiling of the basement for all the airplanes (mostly 1/48 and 1/72 scale) hanging there.

I have wonderful memories of ten years spent on a Hunter 23 ('86 thru '96) It was my first sailboat. Then it was a hunter 30T (tall rig) from '96 to death by hurrincane in '04. Come to think of it I had it only two monts when Hurricane Erin did 35K damege to her - guess that boat had a thing for storms. She weathered over ten named storms. Francis drug her ashore and Jean killed her before I could salvage her.

Attachments

• Hunter 30 02.jpg
    Hunter 30 02.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 12
Ouch! That's sad to see. Glad you're in a new boat though. This past July, I went to Pensacola for a long weekend, and was quite dismayed to see hundreds of boats still pilled up in large heaps from Hurricane Ivan.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to list backyard astronomy as a hobby in my first post. Last Christmas, I bought my oldest son a 10" Dobsonian telescope and we have been putting it to good use!

Last edited:
Culinary Arts - I'm an avowed foodie. I love to make my own wine, beer, cheese, smoked meats, noodles, etc. I specialize in French and Italian cuisine.

I hereby nominate James Dean to host the next midwest fly-in. :yes:

(Better make it a weekender so we can taste the wine and beer too :D)

I hereby nominate James Dean to host the next midwest fly-in. :yes:

(Better make it a weekender so we can taste the wine and beer too :D)

You wanna eat good? Stick with the fat guy.

Write that down.

James Dean

Last edited:
Sony Alpha is on my Christmas list. I've got to get back to using an SLR, but digital pays for itself so quickly (see film and developing above). Image stabilization in the body, so you don't pay for it with each new lense. 10.1 megapixel (better have a large memory stick installed). Shutter or aperature priority, plus easy shifting above or below the computed setting. Autofocus starts up as soon as an IR sensor detects that you're in position to shoot (it detects your body heat and fires up when you put your eye to the view finder).

I'm not sure about the "detecting body heat" thing. According to the Sony rep I talked to, it's more like a proximity detector. Come to think of it, it worked when I put the camera down next to something else, too.

Don't bother using the autofocus "fast start" if you're hanging it on your neck strap. The darn thing kept trying to focus while sitting next to my chest. And the rep mentioned that it really kills the battery life....fast.

Overall, I was rather unimpressed with this camera. Admittedly, I'm a Canon owner and fan but I was shopping for my company's marketing manager. The Sony's IS system in the body is a nice idea except short lenses rarely require IS and, from what I've read, placing it in the lens, farther away from the sensor, results in smaller adjustments. Besides, IS is only beneficial in low light or stopped down shots.

I was very unimpressed with the focusing speed. That sucker is downright slow compared to my Canon and Tamron lenses (and Tamron is no speed demon). Even the rep admitted that both Canon and Nikon beat them in the speed test. The menu and organization is almost identical to the new Canon Rebel XTi. The Sony uses a dial to determine which setting you're changing while the Canon has separate buttons for each.

Any D-SLR will give you the rest of your list. The new Pentax K10D should be interesting if you're looking for in-body IS. I haven't tried one yet, though.

Photography and woodworking have been my big hobbies lately. Otherwise...

flyfishing
hiking (usually for photography reasons)
dog training (although I'm not sure who is training whom here)
shooting (a recently added expensive hobby)
fitness

School has been killing me lately. This better be worth it 'cause I'm losing some serious playtime with this degree thing. :D

I usually go from one hobby to another, obsess on it for a while, then go to the next. Here are some of the hobbies I have had:

- Running trains, fixing locomotives and putting together track (real trains at a railroad museum, not models)

- Farming (including driving semis, tractors, and working at a grain elevator)

- Photography (including two cover photos on Trains magazine)

- Rode as a passenger on a container ship. (See my website for more on that)

- Made my own beer for a while.

- Ham Radio for a short time.

Hmmm, I am sure I am forgetting some things.

Judd

Used to have N gauge electric trains growing up. I'd like to build a nice coffee table size layout one of these days just because...

I bet somebody could make a comfortable living (or flying money!) making coffee tables with track/train/scenery under the glass top...

While living in Milwaukee, I learned to rather enjoy a good game of Sheepshead.

Your line: "What the heck is that?" :D

Or: "Why would I care?" :goofy:

Ever the minimalist, with the philosophy that the less I know, the less I stress. It's working so far. :D

Overall, I was rather unimpressed with this camera. Admittedly, I'm a Canon owner and fan but I was shopping for my company's marketing manager. The Sony's IS system in the body is a nice idea except short lenses rarely require IS and, from what I've read, placing it in the lens, farther away from the sensor, results in smaller adjustments. Besides, IS is only beneficial in low light or stopped down shots.

Brian, thanks for the insight. The key place I'm hoping IS will be useful is when I have a reasonably long lens hanging out the vent window in the Arrow while I try to fly and take a picture at the same time. :D Otherwise, it's a 'nice to have' feature that I've lived without with my point and shoot Olympus C-740. And the Alpha auto focus is faster than the C-740. It's amazing how slow that thing can be. And manual focus on the Sony is infinitely faster than the Olympus.

Brian, thanks for the insight. The key place I'm hoping IS will be useful is when I have a reasonably long lens hanging out the vent window in the Arrow while I try to fly and take a picture at the same time. :D Otherwise, it's a 'nice to have' feature that I've lived without with my point and shoot Olympus C-740. And the Alpha auto focus is faster than the C-740. It's amazing how slow that thing can be. And manual focus on the Sony is infinitely faster than the Olympus.

Crank up the ISO and shutter speed on the camera and you won't need IS. IS gets you an extra stop or two (or three to four now, according the Canon talk on their latest generation of IS but I haven't seen that) but is really only useful in lower light conditions where you're pushing the envelope on shutter speed/aperture/ISO combination.

In longer lens, holding to the 1/focal length as minimum shutter speed rule, it's unlikely you'll see much benefit unless it's low light and you're trying to keep the ISO higher to avoid noise (grain)...which isn't as necessary in the newer generation Canons due to their industry leading high ISO performance.

Crank up the ISO and shutter speed on the camera and you won't need IS. IS gets you an extra stop or two (or three to four now, according the Canon talk on their latest generation of IS but I haven't seen that) but is really only useful in lower light conditions where you're pushing the envelope on shutter speed/aperture/ISO combination.

In longer lens, holding to the 1/focal length as minimum shutter speed rule, it's unlikely you'll see much benefit unless it's low light and you're trying to keep the ISO higher to avoid noise (grain)...which isn't as necessary in the newer generation Canons due to their industry leading high ISO performance.

I have been pretty unimpressed with ISO performance of most bodies up until recently. The Mark II really delivers some "actual" ISO 50 stuff, and the top end stuff isn't just ugly ugly image noise. However, I haven't seen anything that performs exceptionally at the higher ISOs yet, at least compared to film. But they are getting there...

Cheers,

-Andrew
who's really just annoyed that Pentax is just NOW coming out with a decent digital body that accepts his lenses...

I have been pretty unimpressed with ISO performance of most bodies up until recently. The Mark II really delivers some "actual" ISO 50 stuff, and the top end stuff isn't just ugly ugly image noise. However, I haven't seen anything that performs exceptionally at the higher ISOs yet, at least compared to film. But they are getting there...

"Exceptional" film ISO at 1600? I've never seen that so why would I expect that kind of performance from digital? It's still better than film overall and postprocessing techniques will remove a lot of it ala Noise Ninja.

Most prosumer class D-SLRs aren't going to see below 100 ISOs, at least anytime soon. IIRC, the 5D was the first sub-$4000 digital body to offer it in Canon's lineup.

"Exceptional" film ISO at 1600? I've never seen that so why would I expect that kind of performance from digital? It's still better than film overall and postprocessing techniques will remove a lot of it ala Noise Ninja.

Most prosumer class D-SLRs aren't going to see below 100 ISOs, at least anytime soon. IIRC, the 5D was the first sub-$4000 digital body to offer it in Canon's lineup.

Really? Give Fuji Neopan 1600 a shot; it is amazing film (actually, James Nachtwey just shot a Neo Geo article all in it - just surreal). While there is grain, properly exposed, the grain softens up the almost cold contrast that the Neopan chemical system offers. It really, really brings a lot of emotion to an otherwise blah image. (it bears mentioning that I shoot NO high-speed color film, only high-speed black and white... and I have yet to see a digital camera produce a "real" black and white, at least when compared to top BW film)

The 5D has a nice sub-100, but it's no Velvia / Ektachrome. Sorry, adding MPs just doesn't do it, you really really need to get a new layer of color depth in there.

Cheers,

-Andrew

digital P&S has come down drastically.

Severe price drops, yes; but don't, anybody, "take advantage" of really inexpensive digital P&S cameras which offer "three or four MP" features. The technology has increased so fast that, though the referenced items may suit your particular needs and price range, if something goes wrong with them there'll be no parts to fix them. Today's genre is five MP, and higher.

With my large personal inventory of Minolta Maxxum lenses there's only one way for me to go(for practicality): Sony Alpha 100. I was able to work with one, using my lenses, at a private showing in NYC in July. Distribution was barely starting, and I've waited until the initial production runs are in the field to learn of any bugs which normally occur in early batches. Her Majesty, in Florida, keeps telling me, "You could send me today's pictures today......... if you had a digital." She's using a Canon Digital Rebel XT.

HR

I miss printing my own shots, however, I have a great relationship with my printer at Newtonville, so...

I have a digital P&S I bring cycling, primarily due to the small size. But I haul the 35m.....

-Andrew

Andrew: I remember Paul Roberts when Newtonville Camera was around the corner, next to the little restaurant(Copper Kettle???). Then he moved around the corner to Waltham Street, and no longer had to stack stuff way up to the ceiling in the earlier, narrow store. He had a couple satelite stores, though I don't remember where they were.

HR

I have one of them there Vivitar 70-210's for my OM and I think it's a POS! Never liked it, don't know why I bought it.

Vivitar, Soligor, Samigon, Formula V, Telesor, and a bunch of other "name" brands all came out of the same cottage factory manufacturing system: different logos, engraving colors, exterior cosmetics, and distributors. Vivitar's good lenses were the Series 1 variety: designed by American computers in New Jersey, but built in/by/with Japanese know-how.

HR

Really? Give Fuji Neopan 1600 a shot; it is amazing film (actually, James Nachtwey just shot a Neo Geo article all in it - just surreal). While there is grain, properly exposed, the grain softens up the almost cold contrast that the Neopan chemical system offers. It really, really brings a lot of emotion to an otherwise blah image. (it bears mentioning that I shoot NO high-speed color film, only high-speed black and white... and I have yet to see a digital camera produce a "real" black and white, at least when compared to top BW film)

The 5D has a nice sub-100, but it's no Velvia / Ektachrome. Sorry, adding MPs just doesn't do it, you really really need to get a new layer of color depth in there.

Cheers,

-Andrew

No digital quite makes it to film quality but I'd bet that any good digital photographer with 30 minutes worth of Photoshop time can produce a print just as nice as any film photographer. I've seen the comparisons. You cannot tell the difference.

Ah, I'll beat you to it: Photoshop is cheating, right?

So is burning, dodging, pushing, extending developer times slightly to enhance saturation with different films/paper combinations. Photoshop is just the digital version of the darkroom work that any talented photographer was doing 10-20 years ago....heck, even five years ago.

Film is going the way of the dodo. Fewer and fewer choices remain on the market as the technology keeps surpassing itself every year. Personally, I don't miss the smell of developer and stopper (fixer never bothered me for some reason) in the B&W darkroom I had. I sure don't miss the money I went through ordering paper, then experimenting with it until I found the right combinations of aperture/exposure with my ancient enlarger.

And MP have little to do with it. Up to about 16x20" prints, a 6MP and a 16MP camera show about the same quality image (aside from minor noise reduction and color, which can be corrected in PS) using the same lens. Beyond that, yes, the 16MP will definitely start showing a better quality print. Sensor technology is beginning to concentrate less on raw megapixels and more into image quality (ie noise reduction) and color saturation, especially the new Digic III processors from Canon (the only ones I'm familiar with) but Fuji has some great reviews in this area, too.

Check out these pics, both landscapes and sports, for examples on what the 5D can do in capable hands: http://philhawkinsphoto.com/main.php

And B&W from a color sensor can be done well with the right technique (from a variety of cameras): http://www.photocamel.com/index.php/board,26.0.html

No digital quite makes it to film quality but I'd bet that any good digital photographer with 30 minutes worth of Photoshop time can produce a print just as nice as any film photographer. I've seen the comparisons. You cannot tell the difference.

Ah, I'll beat you to it: Photoshop is cheating, right?

Brian, I'm seriously LOL over here. I've been biting my tounge on this... but yup, that's basically how I feel. I feel that the PS mentality has taken a lot of the art out of photography, just randomly shooting shots and fixing it later in PS. Caveat, I use The Gimp for minor digital editing, in fact, I just edited one of my wedding shots that has me making an unfortunate gesture to a groomsman.

So is burning, dodging, pushing, extending developer times slightly to enhance saturation with different films/paper combinations. Photoshop is just the digital version of the darkroom work that any talented photographer was doing 10-20 years ago....heck, even five years ago.

Up to a point, I agree with you. The "PS Mentality" has been taken on by what I call pseudo-photogs, people who like to have pretty pictures on the walls but really don't do jack squat to actual contribute to the art form technically. I have "art" friends who have converted to an all digital process, and while it isn't for me yet, I can completely respect their decision. It's seeing Joe Foo from off the street plopping down $4k for a prosumer body and $1k for a full digital workflow solution and now turning out "decent" stuff and calling themselves a photographer. It's horribly elitist and snobbish (just to beat anyone to the punch), but it's how I feel on this subject.

Film is going the way of the dodo. Fewer and fewer choices remain on the market as the technology keeps surpassing itself every year. Personally, I don't miss the smell of developer and stopper (fixer never bothered me for some reason) in the B&W darkroom I had. I sure don't miss the money I went through ordering paper, then experimenting with it until I found the right combinations of aperture/exposure with my ancient enlarger.

I really love developing my own black and white; it's all a part of the connection. My style is very emotional and personal; I focus on "candid" personal interactions and have adapted a photojournalistic style. I don't get the warmth and nuance from a digital workflow; I get it from working the process and bringing about a "natural" (how natural are the chems in photoprocessing? Not very, really) changes through the nuances of light.

I have to agree, the film marketplace is clearly dwindling. However, especially in the medium and large format areas (areas inhabited by elitist pricks like me), film is still the main medium. Even in the pro side, look at the inroads that Fuji continues to make on super saturated color films! Fuji continues to stand behind their product (in many ways, superior to Kodak) and I stick with it.

Like I said earlier, part of my reticence comes from the fact I have a number of pro Pentax bodies and lenses, and the Pentax digital offerings (relatively) suck. I'm not so keen on dropping the dosh to retool entirely, especially since I'm not so hot on digital to begin with.

And MP have little to do with it. Up to about 16x20" prints, a 6MP and a 16MP camera show about the same quality image (aside from minor noise reduction and color, which can be corrected in PS) using the same lens. Beyond that, yes, the 16MP will definitely start showing a better quality print. Sensor technology is beginning to concentrate less on raw megapixels and more into image quality (ie noise reduction) and color saturation, especially the new Digic III processors from Canon (the only ones I'm familiar with) but Fuji has some great reviews in this area, too.

I agree with you; assuming you are using sensors of similar field and signal processing. Canon seems to be the only company that really gets it (Kodak did for a while with their MF digital backs), but Fuji (again!) is innovating here. I expect that, hopefully, within the next five years we'll see people come back to the features (really the difference between film bodies, what was I getting BESIDES the eye?) instead of sensor games. But, this will take large inroads in color space (I mean, come on, how many do we need? We're up to 5 on pro level bodies IIRC), raw image recording, and basic sensor design. I think we'll get there, and that may be the true death knell for film.

Check out these pics, both landscapes and sports, for examples on what the 5D can do in capable hands: http://philhawkinsphoto.com/main.php

And B&W from a color sensor can be done well with the right technique (from a variety of cameras): http://www.photocamel.com/index.php/board,26.0.html

I'm going to admit, my foray into digital process black and white was about a year ago, and I hated the results. At some point, probably when I get disgusted with the crap Pentax is turning out, I'll break down and get a Canon set up, probably to the chagrin of my wife :)

Great shots from Phil. He clearly has eye and uses PS and whatnot as "tools", rather than "the solution".

Cheers,

-Andrew

Andrew: I remember Paul Roberts when Newtonville Camera was around the corner, next to the little restaurant(Copper Kettle???). Then he moved around the corner to Waltham Street, and no longer had to stack stuff way up to the ceiling in the earlier, narrow store. He had a couple satelite stores, though I don't remember where they were.

HR

Yup, and now he's back to the Walnut-only location. They have freakishly clean lines (they work with Boston Color IIRC), and their E6 is all dip and dunk. The BW guys on site rock; Smitty (chief of the lab) is amazing to work with, especially when I start giving odd requests ("I want this pushed a stop, but can you pull the prints?" and "Yes, I said pull two stops"), and the prices for the work are very reasonable.

The only downside is that they do not do glicee or lightjet / 'chrome prints, but who does nowadays? Even Portland Color stopped; I have a few ciba/ilfochromes kicking around that will be lurid until my grandkids die...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Photography and acoustic guitar (Martin D-16, fingerstyle, mostly classical and '60s folk).

For 44 years I've been a fan of The New Christy Minstrels. Now that the group is performing again with its founder, Randy Sparks, and several of the original members, I've been privileged to produce or co-produce a couple of their concerts here in Vancouver, WA.

-- Pilawt

Back