What are some of your other hobbies?

Mountain biking. I used to road ride a lot. I got sick of cars and for the most part won't go near a paved road anymore.
I used to be pretty heavy into photography. I once had my own darkroom. Recently I took a class in digital photography that used photoshop. I haven't touched the program but a few times since then. You have to spend a lot of time with it to really learn it. More time than I care to devote to it. Now I'm an advanced point and shooter.
I used to hike a lot. Now I only hike places that I can't ride.
I mostly use my motorcycle for transportation but every once in awhile I go for a pleasure ride.
I have a Honda S2000 I like to take out to curvy, windy country roads with the top down. Getting too cold for that now. One of these days I'm going to take it to Big Sur. That will be a blast.
Basically if I'm outdoors, I'm happy.
Never enough time for everything I'd like to do. One thing is for certain. I know my retirement will not be spent in a rocking chair.

Great post! Here are some of my tops;

- Food & wine (consider myself a good cook, and have the girth to prove it)

- Fine Cigars

- Fly Fishing (give me a nice St. Croix rod)

- Classical pianist/organist

Hmm...I could hang out with you Jason! :)

You know you have an open invitation to the Guest room when you want to visit the Cape and Islands Frank. (Former Ponte Vedra Beach / Mandarin resident here)

You know you have an open invitation to the Guest room when you want to visit the Cape and Islands Frank. (Former Ponte Vedra Beach / Mandarin resident here)

I just might decide to take you up on that sometime. I feel the need for.....getting the heck outta Dodge! :eek:

I have too many...but heck you only get to do this once

Camping w/ family at the lake
Fishing
Waterfowl hunting
Upland bird hunting
Big game hunting
Small game hunting
Just hunting....
A little more hunting...
Golf
Computer games
4 wheeling in our jeep
4 wheeling in the hummer
4 wheeling on the 4wheeler
Work :)

Here are some of mine:
  • Sailing (I'm an avid sailor)
  • Boating
  • Bike Riding
  • Music (specifically Trumpet)
  • Photography
  • Computers/Graphic Design
  • Radio/Electronics
  • Virtual Air Traffic Control
  • Learning about various ATC systems and facilities
  • Getting to know all of the great folks here on this webboard.
...and many more!

Flying has pretty much consumed me and here is all the stuff thats taken 2nd place:

Camping
Hiking in Back Country
Fishing (Haven't in a while)
Golf (just started but I think I'm going to give up)
Poker
Photography
Scuba
SCCA Racing (SS class or touring, stopped in 1998)
4 wheeling in my '86 CJ7 Jeep (lifted w/35's, 4.88 gears, lock front & Rear)
ATV's
Dirtbikes
Mountain Bike
Want a street motorcycle (next toy on the list)

Besides flying?????

With two little kids and a household to run?????:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'll have hobbies again in a few years. I pretty much fill my spare (!) time with aviation-related endeavors: reading about flying, surfing online about flying, and flying.

Seems like I'm always fixing stuff (Cars, appliances, toys.....) So that must be a hobby.

I like to play Quake 3 Arena online and play with a good group regularly that spans the world and we are something of an online "family" I guess.

I'd like to build a kit car someday and own a taildragger too. If I could ever afford a hangar I'd trade my 172 for a two seat tandem taildragger in a heartbeat.
Used to ride street bikes, but Atlanta has gotten too crazy for that.
SCUBA from 1971 (when sex was safe and SCUBA ewas dangerous) till the mid 80's or so.

Fixed a lot of SCCA racecars for 10 years or so.

Thats it

Old hobbies:
Boating, and sailing
downhill skiing
golf-ended when I got a beeper for work. Golf is a great way to meet people, I slice so bad, I'm always meeting people one fairway over.
softball(owner/player of local totally unprofessional women's team, but we partied well after games)
whittlin'(not carving, just a knife and a little V gouge)

Current hobbies:
flying to new places
Horse camping(backcountry) Also took roping lessons and did a little team penning
Hunting-deer, pats, pheasant and rabbits. Possums and raccoons too but that is just to get them out of the barn.
Plinking at stuff in the backyard.

Barb

My biggest time eaters are waterskiing in the summer (with occasional bouts in the winter) and snow skiing in the winter.

I ski competitively in both but put a lot more effort into the waterskiing, training 4-5 times per week plus a tournament about every other weekend. I participate in a Nastar league once a week for most of the winter. Other than that, I usually get in some sailing and windsurfing (used to do a lot more than lately) as well as skating in the cooler months. Also for the past 10 years I've been involved in watershed management as a board member (president for a couple years) of the largest watershed district in the state. That alone consumes about 20 hrs per month (and about half again as much when I was the chair).

I used to enjoy tinkering with cars and other mechanical toys and was fairly active in a couple of car groups with things like parking lot autocross and timed sessions at a road race course, but I never seem to have time for that any more.

Old hobbies

Target shooting
.22 cal at 50 feet through college (WSU ROTC Rifle Team)
Black power (Civil War Skirmish Association) - haven't shot in over 10 years
Hunting - haven't been in a few years
Fishing - even longer, never did teach my kids this one (darn!)
Bassoon, piano, clarinet (our piano hasn't been tuned in over 30 years, but nobody would ever know)
Boy Scout leader (son grew up, we moved away and didn't get involved again)
Photography (film)

Current hobbies

Flying (duh!)
Sailing (boat isn't out of the slip often enough for my wife or me)
Singing (church choir and Olympia Choral Society)
Jeeping (not too much off-roading, but it makes a great radio platform for emergency communications)
Ham radio (N6TPT)
Photography (digital) - I'm told that one of my pictures will be in the January 2007 issue of QST.

Times change, hobbies change.

I'm planning for the future -- get the girls interested in my old hobbies so I can go back to them. My 6yr old is a pretty good little golfer, and she loves it, so I can (and have) hit the links with her. They also like skiing. As they get better, I can go with them. Bingo -- I can do the things I want to do. I just have to be patient until they can do black diamonds with me. By then, though, my old bones probably won't want to!

Let's see:

Trying to save enough money to finish my street rod ('52 Chevy PU)
Long gun restoration
Avid hunter
Very active Freemason
Volunteer at the Rescue Mission (does this count as a hobby?)
Skeet shooting
Pistol target practice
Pick a little guitar (no, the guitar is full size :))
Church softball league

That 'bout covers it.

Last edited:
What *else* do you like to do in your spare time? How about when you were younger (do we have any past stamp collectors here)? Are you able to spend as much time on your other hobbies as you would like to?

I also used to run and bike ride but running of course is bad for your knees

It's not as bad for your knees as being fat is! :no: Actually I think if you do the right activities running is OK. In high school I knew a ski jumper who had to quit the cross country team because his leg muscles were so strong from jumping that when he ran they started trying to pull the tendons right off the bones. (I know there's a technical term for that, but I can't remember it.) Yikes.

I have conducted most of the world's finest orchestras...in the privacy of my own bedroom:rolleyes:

Aha, a fellow armchair conductor!

Music is certainly one of my other favorites and has been for a long time. Started on Piano, moved to Cello, Trombone, Percussion, and finally settled on Euphonium while dabbling a bit with Tuba, Bass Trombone, acoustic guitar, and about anything I could get my hands on to try. (The only instrument I never managed to really make a sound with was a flute. Wow, those are hard to play!) I'm a closet conductor and I also sing a lot while I'm driving (alone), mostly Sinatra. My voice is too low for some of his stuff though. I also love listening to all types of music.

I used to do a lot of snow skiing, but I don't get the chance to much any more. Heck, last time I went skiing, it was in a Piper Cub! :rofl:

I'm also somewhat of an electronics freak, and I buy a lot of gadgets. The two I use most at the moment, aside from my MacBook Pro, are my GPS and my iPod. Computers are kind of in this category too, and I've been a computer nut since I was about 6 and I got to play around with some computers at the University since nobody else had 'em yet! I went from being an Apple ][ geek to a Mac geek to actually making money at a few jobs and then starting my own business. I did lots of Unix as well once I started college, and ran both Mac OS and Unix web servers until I sold the business. I really enjoy automating as many things as possible.

Pilots are certainly an interesting group. :yes:

BK hobbies included motorcycles, sports cars, photography and much more flying than I do these days.

Hobbies today include, in addition to some flying, cub scout leader and swim team volunteer.

Len

It seems like most of my hobbies have been centered around things
with motors.

I raced dirt speedway karts .. but quit when I was 50. My old
body was having a tough time with it. Did dirt bikes when I was
younger. Now I just ride my Harley and fool around with my
homemade airplane.

I hang out in Miami as much as I can.

RT

Right now my "hobby" is clearing my subdivision out to the main road. Sigh.

Culinary Arts - I'm an avowed foodie. I love to make my own wine, beer, cheese, smoked meats, noodles, etc. I specialize in French and Italian cuisine.

Cars - My Dad and I have restored a '65 Corvette convertible with a 396. My brothers and I have a '67 Chevelle with a built 396 set up for 1/8 mile drag racing. My wife has a '71 Volkswagon Karmann Ghia.

Cigars - Less than I used to, but I love a good stogie now and then. I prefer Opus X's

History - I have a particular bent towards the history of US atomic projects, organized crime, and the cold war.

Golf - I like to play, but am not all that good.

James Dean

I am so not a car guy that when I read
Cars - My Dad and I have restored a '65 Corvette convertible with a 396.

My first thought was that you put a Garmin 396 in it, it took a second or actually 5 before I realized you meant a 396 engine.

History - I have a particular bent towards the history of US atomic projects, organized crime, and the cold war.

I have been driving around the NTS as of late when I visit my brother-in-law. Cool places to see, which I could get a bit closer and see some the actual test sites up close.

I am so not a car guy that when I read

My first thought was that you put a Garmin 396 in it, it took a second or actually 5 before I realized you meant a 396 engine.

I have been driving around the NTS as of late when I visit my brother-in-law. Cool places to see, which I could get a bit closer and see some the actual test sites up close.

:D

Yeah, the 425 horse 396. Ever hear a solid lifter engine on a car with side pipes? Music if there ever was.

I understand that you can visit the Trinity test site, it is now part of the the National Park system.

http://www.atomictourist.com/trinity.htm

If you are interested, two books by Richard Rhodes are good places to start on the history of the US atomic programs.

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Atomic..._bbs_sr_1/103-4770017-4945442?ie=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Sun-Maki..._bbs_sr_2/103-4770017-4945442?ie=UTF8&s=books

James Dean

I have always pretty much done one thing at a time.
Stamp collecting during high school and early adulthood. Still have a large collection I haven't touched since the late 60s.
Painting. Have a number of mine hanging in my home as well as old friends. Wandered away from that in the mid 70s.
Camping and fishing from early 70s to early 80s. Had a boat and all types of fishing gear from cane pole to fly rods.
Photography. My K1000 is still in the office along with 1/2 dozen lenses.
Genealogy. I inherited all my Dad's stuff and added significantly to it. Made several trips to ancestral areas for research and met some very interesting people/relatives. Haven't really worked on it in 10 years.
Flying. The Redhead retires this year and we plan to really travel. She is taking lessons now so she can be a more active participant.

Photography (with film)
Computers/Radio
Golf -- tho' I'm getting abit soured on that given the number of people on the course that think they're playing polo (let's see how fast we can get to the 18th!)

Bunch o' folks with photography for a hobby. What's your favored medium/type?

For me, it's B&W film.

Film?? I think I read about that in a history book. ;)

I shoot underwater a lot, that is when I still use film. Then I use slow speed slide film but it is getting harder to find. Plus it used to be easy to get developed but not anymore. On dive boats they would carry an E6 processor but those are gone so you have to wait until you get home and even then they send it out. I have been considering changing out all my underwater gear to digital.

I have been considering changing out all my underwater gear to digital.

I think that's wise. You can good housings for a lot of digi cameras and you don't have to worry about O rings and stuff like on the Nikonos.

I think that's wise. You can good housings for a lot of digi cameras and you don't have to worry about O rings and stuff like on the Nikonos.

I already don't have to worry about the Nikonos as I am using Sea and Sea (Motoromarine TBE), much easier maintenance than the old Nikon offering. But even with the housing there are still real concerns with o-rings. After all that is how the camera is sealed into the housing. So after each run underwater you still have to clean and re-seat the o-ring to make sure their integrity remain. With u/w photo you never worry about if you camera or housing will flood, you just worry about when it will happen.

Back