What are some of your other hobbies?

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Just curious. obviously we all have the hobby of flying, and talking about flying. (and politics - well some of us).

What *else* do you like to do in your spare time? How about when you were younger (do we have any past stamp collectors here)? Are you able to spend as much time on your other hobbies as you would like to?

My current (and past) hobbies include travel and photography and a fair bit of reading (I've always been a big reader). I used to be into horses in a big way, I had a few and I rode all the time and showed a little too. When I went to college we sold them. sigh. I also played the piano (for hours on end - my parents could tell you) before I went off to college as well as a little bit of clarinet. It's funny how some things end abruptly when your life changes. I try to go horseback riding when I am on vacation (and I would really like to own a horse again, in my next life) but I almost never play the piano anymore.

I also used to run and bike ride but running of course is bad for your knees (so now I walk) and I don't bike as much as I used to - I used to go nearly weekly with friends on some bike trail or the other but that has really slacked off as everyone has gone in their different directions. ditto ice skating - that I used to do once a week as well. I plan to get back into that, alone or with friends it is great exercise.

I really gotta learn how to golf. I've gone a few times, it's a lot of fun. My entire family golfs and I am the lone holdout. I'd also eventually like to learn to sail. I guess golfing and sailing will have to wait until I (and if I) move down to my house in SC. For that matter horses would be easier to keep down there too.

Last edited:
Photography
Woodworking
Car restoration
Sailing
Shooting
House restoration

Still do most to a certain extent, but only concentrate hard on one or two.

I enjoy golf, but don't really play much. I guess my main hobby is building scale model aircraft. I build mostly 1/48 scale but sometimes venture into larger scale a/c (1/32 scale). I don't build very many "out of the box" but scratch build cockpit detail, instument panel, etc.

Also, fishing and shooting.

Last edited:
Golf - and I hereby declare myself the best PoA golfer :D
Motorcycles
ATV's
Travel

That's about it for now.

I like old cars, but most of the cars I'd like to have are so costly now that I am unlikely ever to seriously collect. I still have my 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado Cabriolet, the monster beast I always wanted. It is a garage queen now, driven maybe 200 miles/year.

The flying really is my only "hobby," although we have done a fair bit of traveling; Celia loves to go new places, and Tommy wants to see everywhere- is a great traveler and has always made himself learn about where we are going. That's why, when we had our 20th anniversary trip to Tahiti, our son was with us... a bit less romantic, p'r'aps, but still fun.

I still have dreams of photography as a hobby, too, but time, as always, is the limiting factor.

*Edit*

Golf--- Yech!

Hunting (big game with modern rifle, black powder and archery; upland game with shotgun), Fishing, Shooting (used to shoot high power rifle and 3 gun pistol competitively), trap and skeet

Camping, snowmobiling, 4 wheeling (ATV and jeep)

used to play trombone (high school, college, Navy ship's bands - still play, but not often)

grew up with horses, rode western pleasure competitions, a little rodeo in high school (bareback, saddle bronc) would love to get into team roping in my "retirement years"

Scuba, but nearly as much living in Colorado

I already know how to swear, so I see no need to learn to golf.

Just curious. obviously we all have the hobby of flying, and talking about flying. (and politics - well some of us).

What *else* do you like to do in your spare time? How about when you were younger (do we have any past stamp collectors here)?

Love motorcycles, don't spend enough time up in the mountains riding.
Love driving briskly.
Run, but not competitively.
Have a 25ft sailboat, when its too windy to fly, I sail!

Used to really be into photography, but no time.
Used to run somewhat competitive, did the Marine Corps marathon once, pulled a 3:30.
Used to ski and snowboard, but no snow in Chattanooga.
Used to be into high end car stereo installs (not that boom car stuff, GOOD stuff)

These days I am science project consultant for two middle schoolers. Our dining room is, at this moment, a chemistry lab created by my daughter to measure the impact of pH on crystal formation and our living room contains a small wind tunnel I made and an assortment of airfoils my son made to determine the effect of increasing upper camber on lift.

I drive the boat when the family fishes.
I coach my youngest son's little league team.
I live in a country club community but don't have time for golf.
Wish I had the time for scuba.

Biking and camping with my kids. Motorcycles, working on old cars, dreaming up new ways to landscape around my house. Last but not least, relaxing with my wife on either the back porch swing or hammock.:yes:

Outdoor sports - backpacking, hiking, huniting, a little fishing
Target shooting
Off roading "wheeling" in my Jeep Wrangler
Annoying women on this board.

What *else* do you like to do in your spare time? How about when you were younger
Elizabeth I had to laugh when I read your post because I have had very similar interests to yours. I was very much into photography when I was younger. In fact, because of my photography knowledge I was hired as an aerial camera operator which led to my career as a pilot. Nowadays I mostly only take happy snaps, though.

When I was young I was also interested in horses, although I never owned one. I would go take a riding lesson every Saturday and loved learning how to jump which was a little like flying. In fact, when I started flying lessons I felt like there were a lot of similarities to riding lessons. I guess I abandoned horses for airplanes because I haven't ridden one in many years.

I also played piano when I was growing up and somehow I still have it, but the only one who has played it in a long time is Eamon. Thanks E!

I have started and stopped a number of different hobbies over the years; playing the flute, flying helicopters, running, biking, hiking, cross-country skiing, etc. I think I need to find a new one. I've always liked to travel but I travel so much for work that sometimes I'm not really inspired to go someplace else. I would like to travel overseas, though.

I like
- Snow Skiing
- Camping
- Hiking
- Sailing

I also like Scuba but can only afford so many expensive hobbies

hiking! how could I forget hiking! I love to hike but it's also been a while. sigh. my "active" hobbies have fallen by the wayside. gotta do something about that.

wow, we really do have a lot of things in common.

Actor - singer(but have been too busy, lately, for activism)
Photography
Motorcycles
English sports car(looking for replacement engine)

#1 = Will Rogers Follies(I'm on the right)
#2 = Carousel(with the gun)
#4 = August concert(voice - clarinet/ piano)[clarinet hidden behind the lectern]
#3 = The two favorites[August 2000]

I used to be into sailing, but sold the boat and bought a house; then came flying -- the other "hole into which one keeps pouring money."

HR

Attachments

• Will Rogers and Father.jpg
    Will Rogers and Father.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 26
  • Carousel     Bascombe.JPG
    Carousel Bascombe.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Concert #3, by VAO.jpg
    Concert #3, by VAO.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Cessna & Healey    Aug. 2000.JPG
    Cessna & Healey Aug. 2000.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I like...skinny skiing, going to bull fights on acid....

Sorry ya'll. Just watched Caddyshack the other day. :D:D

Running, am training for my 7th Disney marathon next month in Orlando,
and as a general rule runners have stronger and better knees than non runners, running 21 miles in the morning starting at 5:45. I also played Rugby for 18 years. and I enjoy water and snow skiing:goofy:
Joe

The flying has been put on hold for a while for A&P school.

Motorcycles
Photography
Hiking, backpacking and non technical mountain climbing (I prefer solo backcountry trips)
Travel (mystery make it up as you go along adventure trips are the best)
Designing and building things from scratch
Mechanical work (motorcycle restoration is coming and I'd like to get into restoring old airplanes)
Skiing and snowshoeing
Shooting

I try to get to the theatre for Broadway class shows on occasion

Used to sail but there's just not enough water in Colorado and I don't have a boat
Used to spend summers haying on the farm
Used to have N gauge electric trains growing up. I'd like to build a nice coffee table size layout one of these days just because...

Current biggest hobby: RV camping 24/7/365

Mostly just softball these days.
I used to do a lot of painting, but haven't had time to do much lately.
Computers also take up a lot of my spare time. (what little there is!)

Flying of course......

Corvette's (Selling my 1981, sold the 1991)
Ham Radio
Cooking
Horses (Owned 3, now none, Big Horn roping saddle still on a stand)
training dogs - when Mary and I retire we want to open a boarding place for pets and provide some training for new owners.
Coaching little league baseball- no children playing but really enjoy the 9-12 yr olds. They ALWAYS make me laugh
computers (any sim game)
Prior to hip replacement - Competitive Roller skating, dance and the always fun freestyle/shuffle skate

Photography
Travel
Food/wine
Hiking/a bit of biking
Enjoying my mountain property
Used to do some sailing
Fly fishing
History
Computers/Electronics/Radio

Hmm,

My daughter is my favorite hobby right now, since at three years old she still thinks I'm the source of all things cool and fun. I've taught her to appreciate most of my pasttimes, including reading, music (she can sing FZ's "Don't eat the yellow snow", including the polyrhythms), and spending time outside.

I don't include Flight Simulation in the list because it's so close to "real" flying.

Not in an particular order

1. Biking
2. Banjo playing (well learning)
3. Petting kitties
4. Ham radio
5. Scuba Diving

I don't do too much ham radio right now as my main interest there was using satelites and the one satelite I liked to use went kaput a few years ago.

I ride and raise horses (Arabs and Thoroughbreds). I've moved to endurance and competitive trail from eventing -- the wisdom of age I guess.

I sail when I can, and find turkey hunting to be a great excuse to go sit quietly in the woods on fine spring mornings.

Bruce

A little of the following:
SCUBA (Scott want to do dive sometime?)
biking
hiking
photography (have the eye, but not the equipment)
and a lot of reading (about a book per week)

I have conducted most of the world's finest orchestras...in the privacy of my own bedroom:rolleyes: . I can barely play a CD, and my VCR's clock is not set...

I like to:

Photograph, film and simple digital (Fuji Finepix 3800, if I recall the model),
bicycle (no hills, too old, fat, and outta shape)
motorcycle (a guard rail jumped out in front of me one oh-dark-thirty morning some years back, putting a moratorium on that activity)
get lost in the woods with my camera

None rises to the "hobby" level, to the extent that I do not at all excel in any of them...

I am a guitarist, basist and keyboardist, I've also dabbled a bit with drums, and I learned the accordian one year as a bet.

Seems my biggest hobby recently has been computer programming, but I am also a shadetree mechanic.

I hike, and I play sports when I get a chance, and I play video games quite often as well.

I am a guitarist, basist and keyboardist, I've also dabbled a bit with drums, and I learned the accordian one year as a bet.

Seems my biggest hobby recently has been computer programming, but I am also a shadetree mechanic.

I hike, and I play sports when I get a chance, and I play video games quite often as well.
What about dodging bullets? :goofy:

These days I am science project consultant for two middle schoolers. Our dining room is, at this moment, a chemistry lab created by my daughter to measure the impact of pH on crystal formation and our living room contains a small wind tunnel I made and an assortment of airfoils my son made to determine the effect of increasing upper camber on lift.

:eek: .. I spent my middle school years studying..... You know I don't remember middle school.

My hobby is collecting hobbies, at least according to a close friend. Let's see..

+ Culinary arts (beer brewing, barbecue, traditional French, Japanese, Chinese, and Italian cuisines, sausage making, wine collecting, spirits [Bourbon / Scotch])
+ Cycling (long distance road, mountain biking, dabbling in cyclocross)
+ Photography (film is art, two Pentax PZ-1P PJ bodies with plenty of glass, shoot primarially Fuji films, some Kodak Ektachrome though)
+ Mountain stuff (backpacking, hiking, camping, technical rock climbing [V1+/5.9 single pitch/5.6-5.7 multi pitch], dabbling in mountaineering and ice climbing)
+ Woodworking (traditional New England / Shaker stuff, some contemporary, working on a chaise lounge design I have now, just on paper, though)
+ Our new property in Maine (clearing, trail building, site selection... soon to be a house?)
+ Boating (wooden boats, working on plans for a modified 22' Spalding runabout utility boat; kayaking [river and ocean])
+ Fishing (recovering lobsterman, occasional sport fishing)
+ Motorcycling (former owner of a GSX-R 600, FJR1300, now bike free :( )
+ Music (been meaning to learn to play the bass guitar)
+ Arts (dabbled in water color, done raku pottery, watched ballet, opera, "art appreciation" [I like to go to museums and stare at pretty pictures])
+ Learning (I will read anything just to learn more about it. Last 5 books - Into Thin Air [6th re-read], Dead Souls, Omnivore's Dilemma, McKinsey's Valuation, Classical Works in Sociology)

I am, no doubt, missing some things. I am always into something and learning something new, trying out something I've never done before or whatever. Right now, I would say I'm 35% cycling, 40% climbing, 20% culinary arts, 5% other.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Great post! Here are some of my tops;

- Food & wine (consider myself a good cook, and have the girth to prove it)

- Fine Cigars

- Fly Fishing (give me a nice St. Croix rod)

- Reading

- Classical pianist/organist

- Collect antique cufflinks

- Photography (just a Pentax K1000, and Ilford films)

- and tooooooooo many other interests to list!

Back