What are acceptable BP numbers

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
My BP numbers are up a little bit during my latest annual physical with my primary care physician, but did not feel it was at the point where I needed any medication. I’m looking at a renewal for my class three in February and I just want to be sure that I’m ok.
I have been thinking about going basic med but I would like to get a few more clash three years under my belt before I pull that trigger.

My BP numbers are up a little bit during my latest annual physical with my primary care physician, but did not feel it was at the point where I needed any medication. I’m looking at a renewal for my class three in February and I just want to be sure that I’m ok.
I have been thinking about going basic med but I would like to get a few more clash three years under my belt before I pull that trigger.

155/95

Very high

If your PCP is not worried, you'll be fine with the FAA.

Yep .. that's their limit but that's too uncomfortable for me.

Mine started to climb a number of years ago. My doc told me to lose 20 lbs., get 30 minutes of cardio everyday (a brisk walk or treadmill session), stop eating sodium (salt), and limit the sweet stuff. It worked for me but I have to stay with it. So far no BP meds ...

Doctors change the rules all the time! When I was younger, doctors would tell me 100 + your age / 80. So when I was 20, 120/80. Now that I'm over double that age, my doctor wants my BP at 115/80 or lower. I'm waiting for Apple to come out with a watch the measures BP so we can see how we're doing in heated meetings!

My BP numbers are up a little bit during my latest annual physical

Can you be sure it's not WCS? (the environment making it higher than usual?)
I know many people who are 120-130 at home but sky-high in the office.
Some have taken to getting a smart BP device which keeps track of the readings they are taking at home, storing them on their device. Then, they can present 20, 30, 50 healthier readings to the med staff when they go in.

Also, it's surprising how little diet change you'd have to do (caffeine, sugar) and minimal exercise (20mins each evening) will bring that down a notch.

Why wait on Basic Med? ;)
Correct me if I am wrong, but basic med is good for 10 years? Then you have to get another Class 3 medical.
So, being sixty know and hoping to fly until 75, I figure that it will be easier to pass a class 3 at 65 than at 70.
Is my logic flawed?

Correct me if I am wrong, but basic med is good for 10 years? Then you have to get another Class 3 medical.
So, being sixty know and hoping to fly until 75, I figure that it will be easier to pass a class 3 at 65 than at 70.
Is my logic flawed?

Nope. Basic Med requires an exam every four years and an online class every two. You never have to get another class 3 unless you develop one of the few conditions that require a one-time SI.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med

Just save the trouble and your money and get the Basicmed. You need the class 3 only for a few very specific instances (such as for example being able to ride in the hypobaric chamber at Oshkosh). For commercial ops you need a class 2 anyway. I get my Basicmed for free during my annual physical. Its a no brainer for me.

Only issue is that some insurance companies require class 3 minimum for insurance purposes and won’t accept BM

Of course we all hate you now... :lol::lol:
I got on BP meds before I decided that no longer being a fat, lazy sack would be even better for my longevity. After losing weight, my BP after exercise would routinely be well below that until a med change. Some people truly have medical reasons for hypertension, but it's lifestyle for most of us.

I got on BP meds before I decided that no longer being a fat, lazy sack would be even better for my longevity. After losing weight, my BP after exercise would routinely be well below that until a med change. Some people truly have medical reasons for hypertension, but it's lifestyle for most of us.

It took a mild heart attack to set me on losing weight and working on reducing BP. 1 stent in an artery, 50 pounds lighter and BP meds and everything is stabilizing.!!

And for *everyone*, just take your damn meds. Even if you think you can control it with exercise and weight loss, take your meds *until you do*. In 2022 there is no reason to have a single day with increased stroke risk and additional damage to your arteries. Then, if you do lose the weight, you can reward yourself by getting rid of the meds.

And for *everyone*, just take your damn meds. Even if you think you can control it with exercise and weight loss, take your meds *until you do*. In 2022 there is no reason to have a single day with increased stroke risk and additional damage to your arteries. Then, if you do lose the weight, you can reward yourself by getting rid of the meds.
More specifically, follow your doctor's instructions. And if you're trying this, get a high-quality home machine, check it in your doctor's office, and then use it regularly and keep track. That how I know that I can reliably spike my BP by taking Advil or having a glass of whisky and that I don't need to take any meds on days I ride 30 miles. If you have a device that talks to your phone, it's also amazing to correlate BP directly to weight and exercise over time.

My last visit I was 106/68. Immediately tried to bring it up with some MTN dew and a butter burger with cheese curds.

Gotcha beat. When I had my Basic Med exam a couple of months ago I was 100/64. I might switch back to caffeinated coffee.... ;)

I've been on BP meds for years; high BP and heart trouble have been common on both sides of my family, so even though I eat right and stay active, it wasn't too surprising when it first developed. But a couple of years of retirement have absolutely been the best possible medicine. I never realized just how much work was doing to me until I stopped.

OP Just chiming in. I am glad for y’all and the advice, but since Half fast showed me that I can just go basic med and not worry about the BP anymore. I have decided that a stroke is better than spending my last years in a dementia ward like my athlete father. We all die. It’s just a matter of timing and circumstance.

Uh, ideally you don't stroke out AND don't have dementia. Take your meds.

I have decided that a stroke is better than spending my last years in a dementia ward like my athlete father.
You should probably know that some strokes can cause dementia.

Nauga,
who watched it happen

OP Just chiming in. I am glad for y’all and the advice, but since Half fast showed me that I can just go basic med and not worry about the BP anymore. I have decided that a stroke is better than spending my last years in a dementia ward like my athlete father. We all die. It’s just a matter of timing and circumstance.
This has got to be parody, right? No one smart enough to fly a plane could be this irrational.

This has got to be parody, right? No one smart enough to fly a plane could be this irrational.
Where did you get the idea that people who fly airplanes are smart? I would suggest that we are more trainable. Also I would offer that there are a large, perhaps majority, of people who view flying small planes as an irrational act.

Last edited:

Yeah, because it's friggin' awesome to spend years, or decades, in a wheelchair, or unable to speak, or unable to remember things or, get this, with dementia (30% of stroke patients develop it) due to a stroke. That's some sound logic.

Strokes are only fatal in 10-20% of victims (in the case of those that could be prevented by taking your meds, "willing victims" or "volunteer strokes"). Only 10% of stroke victims make a full recovery.

For me, I'd rather take my meds, greatly reduce my chances of having a stroke and create an advance directive to represent my wishes if I get dementia. YMMV

Just save the trouble and your money and get the Basicmed. You need the class 3 only for a few very specific instances (such as for example being able to ride in the hypobaric chamber at Oshkosh). For commercial ops you need a class 2 anyway. I get my Basicmed for free during my annual physical. Its a no brainer for me.

So far, you can't fly in Canada with Basic Med, which is a biggie if you want to fly to Alaska, which you should . . .

OP Just chiming in. I am glad for y’all and the advice, but since Half fast showed me that I can just go basic med and not worry about the BP anymore. I have decided that a stroke is better than spending my last years in a dementia ward like my athlete father.

While there are some genes associated with familial dementia, most dementia isn't hereditary, so a family history doesn't mean you'll suffer the same fate--far from it.
My maternal grandmother died of Alzheimers. My mom is almost 102, without a trace of the disease. The jury is still out on me :) but I'm cautiously optimistic.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/risk-factors-and-prevention/is-dementia-hereditary

Show me how to prevent dementia. What medication?

Take care of BP, sugar levels, alcohol, and whatnot and you’re less likely to stroke out and end up in a nursing home is the point I offer to you.

I’m reminded of a friend long ago who didn’t wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. His reasoning was that a helmet would keep you alive but you’d have a bad brain injury. Better to ride without and die quickly. You can’t make this stuff up….

Last edited:
Where did you get the idea that people who fly airplanes are smart? I would suggest that we are more trainable. Also I would offer that there are a large, perhaps majority, of people who view flying small planes as an irrational act.
Ok, you win. You're irrational and dumb.

Take care of BP, sugar levels, alcohol, and whatnot and you’re less likely to stroke out and end up in a nursing home is the point I offer to you.

I’m reminded of a friend long ago who didn’t wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. His reasoning was that a helmet would keep you alive but you’d have a bad brain injury. Better to ride without and die quickly. You can’t make this stuff up….
How does your friend not wearing a helmet affect you?
Flying is demonstrably unsafe with no benefit to the greater good. nobody should be allowed to fly a personal plane. now how does that sound.

We all make personal choices. What those choices are should be up to us and us alone. I might have a discussion about it with my family but in the end it’s my choice.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back