what airplane would you buy

If someone asks you what is the best gun to go out and kill 10 people, would you give him the advice for the best available guns? Would you not ask him why he's going to do that, at first?

If you need to know what the best gun is PM me, for everyone wondering, I am prior military and yes I enjoy hunting and going out to remote areas to do man stuff. By the way... The deer and hog population is wild out here. At the cabin i stay at I count 30 deer just hanging out on the front porch early in the morning every morning. I respect your opinion about not killing animals but i bring home enough meat most of the time i have to give it away. Ive been eating deer meat everyday for the past 8 months from last season.

Can I ask why you kill animals for your joy? Do you think it's ok if another creature kill us for his joy?
Why do people scream and make so much noise when another person is killed? Then who gave you the right to kill an animal for your joy?

Whoa...where the f*** did that come from? Can you say "spin zone"?

Can I ask why you kill animals for your joy? Do you think it's ok if another creature kill us for his joy?
yeah, pretty much. It makes for a pleasant evening shooting a dozen or so wallabies and they are good, lean meat. It's an enjoyable challenge to track them and then to hit the moving target. When we hunt though, it's a quick death for the prey and they don't suffer, as opposed to a cat who plays with a mouse injuring it just enough that it can't escape. Ditto for the orcas I saw off our east coast the other day who were using their tails to play catch with live seals, batting them through the air. I don't know what makes those whales thing they have the right to torture another creature like that. Maybe you should come down here and talk some sense into them.

If you need to know what the best gun is PM me, for everyone wondering, I am prior military and yes I enjoy hunting and going out to remote areas to do man stuff. By the way... The deer and hog population is wild out here. At the cabin i stay at I count 30 deer just hanging out on the front porch early in the morning every morning. I respect your opinion about not killing animals but i bring home enough meat most of the time i have to give it away. Ive been eating deer meat everyday for the past 8 months from last season.

No need to be shy about best gun. Everybody with a lick of sense knows it's the '03A3 Springfield and it sure ain't no plastic gun or even a gas gun!

:D

Yes 03A3 for most things, but best gun for those delicious whales? Baseball or cricket bats for the seals?

those of you with kids, this thread should be a reminder that it's important to make sure they are part of the outdoors and see it the way it really is, not like portrayed in children's books. Doubly important for girls IMO. Here are mine.

Attachments

• Piper_trout.jpg
    Piper_trout.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 27
  • adelai_bow.JPG
    adelai_bow.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 29
those of you with kids, this thread should be a reminder that it's important to make sure they are part of the outdoors and see it the way it really is, not like portrayed in children's books. Doubly important for girls IMO.

You got that right, Jeff.

those of you with kids, this thread should be a reminder that it's important to make sure they are part of the outdoors and see it the way it really is, not like portrayed in children's books. Doubly important for girls IMO. Here are mine.

You -- are a good father. :yes:

Reminds me of my kids at that age out at lake Powell or up in the foothills in MO.

fvck the thread drift ..

I thought we had a budget of $100K ... :confused:

I should have said previously find a decent mogas 180 and the high horsepower be damned. Throttle back if you want to save gas. Horsepower is like a gun, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. OP says he wants STOL, $100K or less, he wants 300 payload with one person and gear, but doesn't give a damn about range but that's silly. You're flying for Christ's sake! He wanted low horsepower but he wants a certified STOL aircraft so BS on the low horsepower.

So go buy a skywagon like I did and don't worry, be happy .. ;):)

rk-C180-N751S-52.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv-Fk1PwVeU
bobbydont_worry_be_happy_jan21.jpg

Thanks for being so nice to call me troll, little sister, etc.
You are very bright and smart.

Farewell.

p.s. I have asked the admin to remove my account from the poa community. hopefully he will do that soon.

Re: fvck the thread drift ..

I thought we had a budget of $100K ... :confused:
]

I was trying to stay away from the 'borrow' part of the deal. Of course, if he wants to get a loan for a plane, no prob, and the 180 was my choice along with you. But I was thinking of something he could possibly get without going into debt. Maybe step up to the 180 in a few years or so.

I guess that about sums it all up. Cessna 180/maule. I will be takihg a loan out but i dont have any debt except for my mortgage which will be paid off in 5 years. My goal is debt free by 30 minus whatever airplane i buy. Airplanes are a continuous money pit. Thanks for all the advice!

I guess that about sums it all up. Cessna 180/maule. I will be takihg a loan out but i dont have any debt except for my mortgage which will be paid off in 5 years. My goal is debt free by 30 minus whatever airplane i buy. Airplanes are a continuous money pit. Thanks for all the advice!

Shop wisely for the 180, most under 100k will have had major damage. plus factory stock they are not the off field aircraft that most novices think they are.

no C-180 will operate at 10gph. Not for long, anyway.

Finance advice. Borrow against the house and pay cash for the plane. Better interest rates and tax advantages. Paid for is nice but if an American has to owe money it's best owed on a house.

Finance advice. Borrow against the house and pay cash for the plane. Better interest rates and tax advantages. Paid for is nice but if an American has to owe money it's best owed on a house.

good advice.
great advice if I didn't have to get the wife to sign the paperwork :no:

Shop wisely for the 180, most under 100k will have had major damage. plus factory stock they are not the off field aircraft that most novices think they are.

I guess we know who to seek for novice advice?

The 180 is probably the best all-around off airport airplane ever made. But even a novice with a few hours will find he can land it in shorter places than he can get it out of. And there's the reason for improved thrust.

Ya know, I haven't ever flow on or off a gravel bar, I haven't operated that much out of poor back country strips, but I've had some I would say, modest experience.

I have to wonder sometimes, if we need that last tiny measure of performance to operate safely, or I guess an ever so slightly greater safety margin with a particular plane over another, maybe this is not a mode that is well served by GA? AK excepted of course, where in many cases GA is the ONLY answer. One can outfit a Grand Cherokee, or even an older Hummer for a ton of money less than a C180. I kinda doubt there's hardly anywhere in the lower 48 that can't be served by a guy with a good off road vehicle and a winch.

blasphemy on an aviation board. Let the skewering begin! :redface:

and you can easily get to all your paved runway facilities wearing your Danskos and driving your Prius. What's your point?

I made my point. If you need help reading, call a teacher.

No idea if this is any good, it might be worth a call, though. Straight Tail 182:

1958 CESSNA 182 SKYLANE • $29,900 • FOR SALE • 2400TT, Under 900 on 0470 Continental 230HP, Horton Stall Kit, Heated Pitot, 25 hrs on Hartzell Prop, Caldwell Idaho
http://www.barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?ID=1022539

[smartass]Think real hard about whether it is worth getting a (big) loan for a toy. 180s are nice but come with a steep price tag. Other planes we discussed in this thread provide 90% of the capability for a significantly lower price.[/smartass]

Last edited:
I guess we know who to seek for novice advice?

The 180 is probably the best all-around off airport airplane ever made. But even a novice with a few hours will find he can land it in shorter places than he can get it out of. And there's the reason for improved thrust.

My point was most noviced pilots will over estimate their abilities. the three accidents I've witnessed were within 5 hours of purchase.
The 180 is a fine aircraft, but it will not do what a lot of folks think it will. Thus the 185.

I know my skywagon before the Sportsman STOL kit would stop flying abruptly at a certain point. The STOL cuff helped that. The old NACA 2412 stock wing had a definite stall break and a hard one.

Each wagon has it's cut off point depending on configuration, mods, weight, CG, DA, etc...

You just have to learn and know where that cut off point is.

180hp Maule M7 is sufficient if its just you and the carcass.

(It has been successfully demonstrated that 4 adults+equipment+elk is too much for a 210 Silver Eagle)

I know my skywagon before the Sportsman STOL kit would stop flying abruptly at a certain point. The STOL cuff helped that. The old NACA 2412 stock wing had a definite stall break and a hard one.

Each wagon has it's cut off point depending on configuration, mods, weight, CG, DA, etc...

You just have to learn and know where that cut off point is.
The Piper J-3 is barely fast enough to kill you, but the C185 will at first opportunity stomp your A$$.

The Piper J-3 is barely fast enough to kill you, but the C185 will at first opportunity stomp your A$$.

It's six and one half dozen or the other really once the pilot is acclimated.

When you get over 20' off the ground whether it's in a plane or on a ladder or in a tree, you're in lethal territory.

Skywagon's demand you fly them. They are not a lazy man's airplane. I've found mine to be very forgiving but the potential is always there to bite you if you get behind the airplane or get lazy feet.

It's six and one half dozen or the other really once the pilot is acclimated.

When you get over 20' off the ground whether it's in a plane or on a ladder or in a tree, you're in lethal territory.

Skywagon's demand you fly them. They are not a lazy man's airplane. I've found mine to be very forgiving but the potential is always there to bite you if you get behind the airplane or get lazy feet.

OH how true.

My preference floats among 4-seat Bonanzas, Cirruses, Mooneys and other low-wing airplanes with speed capability in the 140+ KT range.

My typical mission these days is a cross country with my wife or another passenger, often including an overnight stay. I'd expect to do a lot more of those if I bought a plane.

Give me a Twin Comanche with manual waste gates.

Land that out in the sage brush, load a couple deer in it, I want to sell tickets.

The question was what plane would I buy, not what plane would I suggest. :)

Back