"We're" with you

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
Flying around the area solo and talking to ATC, I find myself almost constantly using "we" instead of "I". I assume there's no correct way of doing it, but saying "we" just feels much more fluid. I would think as a solo pilot, "I" would be the sensible thing to use, but something about it sounds off. Just wondering if anyone else finds themselves doing the same thing...

Very common, and I do it even when in a single seat airplane or I am solo. "I" sounds horrible and I used to always teach that first person declarations is poor radio practice.

Yeah I've done it, it just comes out that way without really thinking about it.

We = "the airplane and I"?
We = The royal we?
We = I learned to talk on the radio when my flight instructor was on board so got used to saying it like that?
We = I don't have time to stop and think about how many people are in the airplane?

Anyway, interestingly, I do know of one student pilot who used to say on the radio, "Podunk Traffic, Cessna 123, we are downwind, runway 5". When she soloed, she proudly stated, "Podunk Traffic, Cessna 123, I am downwind, runway 5."

Usually it can be dropped with no change in meaning.

" we are downwind " vs simply , " downwind ".

Well we've beat this one to death before but the "we're with you" should simply be callsign level xxx thousand.

Personally it doesn't bother me to hear non standard phraseology over the radio as long as it's not ambiguous.

Well we've beat this one to death before but the "we're with you" should simply be callsign level xxx thousand.

Personally it doesn't bother me to hear non standard phraseology over the radio as long as it's not ambiguous.

Oh you prefer no ambiguity?! ;)

"My name is Nate and I and my lovely wife Karen, and our 75 lb German Shorthair mix named Dino are with you, in the downwind, enjoying the view of the fall trees and slowing to exactly 85 knots via judicious use of the throttle while monitoring the airspeed indicator, we are also correcting for a slight right drift. November. One Two Seven Niner Mike."

Not debating that.

Oh you prefer no ambiguity?! ;)

"My name is Nate and I and my lovely wife Karen, and our 75 lb German Shorthair mix named Dino are with you, in the downwind, enjoying the view of the fall trees and slowing to exactly 85 knots via judicious use of the throttle while monitoring the airspeed indicator, we are also correcting for a slight right drift. November. One Two Seven Niner Mike."

Well, I should add it should be concise as well. :) Wish my dog liked to fly. He hates it more than going to the vet.

Well, I should add it should be concise as well. :) Wish my dog liked to fly. He hates it more than going to the vet.

We actually haven't taken him yet. But plan to. He's big enough he could be a significant W&B shift unrestrained. LOL.

I started this exact same thread on the red board a few years ago. I've accepted that "we" may include any passengers, dogs, the airplane itself or any undiagnosed multiple personalities that may be joining me for the ride...

I'll say "with you", not "we're with you", but I do say "we're 10miles north of the field blah blah..." or "we'll be entering a 45 left downwind yadda yadda".

I started this exact same thread on the red board a few years ago. I've accepted that "we" may include any passengers, dogs, the airplane itself or any undiagnosed multiple personalities that may be joining me for the ride...

I ask people on the ham bands if they have a mouse in their pocket. :)

I always fly with atleast 3 of my alter-egos, so in short, we're never alone ;)

Call sign IS 5,500 feet, 3mi east of pottersville airport.

Like I said, "With you" was just kind of a placeholder. This refers to "We're requesting 27", "We'd like the option", etc. as well.

I don't think I've ever used "I" or "We" on the radio. It just comes so naturally to just use the N number. Especially when you have a "niner" in it. :rockon:

I don't think I've ever used "I" or "We" on the radio. It just comes so naturally to just use the N number. Especially when you have a "niner" in it. :rockon:

Ditto - just the callsign. Even without a niner.

you dont even need to use we're. its an unnecessary word

But... all the airline pilots do!!!!

Seriously though, I do like how it makes the communication a bit more personal. And when the frequency is dead or when it would be quicker than saying "Niner Uniform Juliette" without being ambiguous, then I think it can be a nice touch.

Very common, and I do it even when in a single seat airplane or I am solo. "I" sounds horrible and I used to always teach that first person declarations is poor radio practice.
Why is that?

We're more worried of how we fly rather than what we say.

Flying around the area solo and talking to ATC, I find myself almost constantly using "we" instead of "I". I assume there's no correct way of doing it, but saying "we" just feels much more fluid. I would think as a solo pilot, "I" would be the sensible thing to use, but something about it sounds off. Just wondering if anyone else finds themselves doing the same thing...

I have always said "We." Don't think Lucky Lindy had a radio, but his wife wrote a book titled "We" and that's good enough for me. (Of course, when I was delivering Pipers across the country solo and used "we" when calling my wife enroute it made for some interesting discussions.)

Bob Gardner

so if all airline pilots do it, it makes it right? they are just teaching everyone else their mistakes.

Absolutely. And what advice is frequently given to newbie pilots? "Get a scanner and listen to how the pros do it."

Bob Gardner

Hmm, I have to think about that one. If someone else is in the plane, it's "we". Otherwise it's just the transmission without the "we". But then again ATC doesn't know and doesn't care how many people are in the plane.

I doubt it's ever led to a misunderstanding.

I don't think I have ever used 'we're' in conjunction with 'with you', but I do use 'we' or 'we're' in other discussions with ATC. Stuff like ATC giving me an intersection departure, I might respond with 'we'll need full length today' ...even when solo.

so if all airline pilots do it, it makes it right? they are just teaching everyone else their mistakes.

Some people on this board take everything so literally.

We need a big sarcasm smiley that only appears on those peoples' screens.

Speaking of Lindy, and the book "We" it's very interesting to read what he felt necessary to take with him. Granted he was trying to keep weight down but still amazing, compared to what some consider necessary to fly to get lunch somewhere. ( the book was written by Lindbergh himself. )My favorite radio transmission is hearing , in a voice trying to imitate Ernie Gann, " Cessna 12345 , entering the pattern for runway 22". That's it, no location given. That's always comforting.

Last edited:
"Podunk unicom and traffic, bugsmasher 34x we're 4 miles NE of the field, any traffic in the pattern please advise"

I'm sure several here would vapor lock after hearing the above.

its a little hard to tell sarcasm through a computer!

I thought the "but seriously" and 4 exclamation marks would convey the point properly. It's such a common theme on this board (pro pilots using poor communication) that I figured y'all would know I was kidding.

So is it wrong to say "thanks" or tell the controller "good day" when he hands you off to the next sector?

Absolutely!!!

If it's not specifically stated in the AIM, then you are forbidden from uttering such words!

So you're saying that the AIM contains EVERY word or phrase that you are allowed to say on the radio and that EVERY possible situation is covered?

I think a little common sense needs to apply here.

Never used "we're" or "I'm", but I am guilty of using "with you" occasionally :D

My transmissions are usually just ..."N number, 10 south landing with Charlie". Or "level x thousand five hundred" or "downwind runway xx", etc.

I picked up the habit of saying "thank you" from one of my CFIs. :)

Last edited:
Back