"We're" with you

I picked up the habit of saying "thank you" from one of my CFIs. :)
AIM not withstanding, I think it's fine to say "thank you" or "g'day" when an acknowledging call was required anyway... but it's not fine to say "thank you very much, y'know i'm awfully glad you're here doing what you do. Now I'm gonna head on down souf and enjoy the skies; you have a mighty fine day, y'hear?":mad2:

I started this exact same thread on the red board a few years ago. I've accepted that "we" may include any passengers, dogs, the airplane itself or any undiagnosed multiple personalities that may be joining me for the ride...

How about the voices in my head? ;). :rofl:

So you're saying that the AIM contains EVERY word or phrase that you are allowed to say on the radio and that EVERY possible situation is covered?

I think a little common sense needs to apply here.
I think you missed R&W's sarcasm smilies.

Absolutely!!!

If it's not specifically stated in the AIM, then you are forbidden from uttering such words!

So you're saying that the AIM contains EVERY word or phrase that you are allowed to say on the radio and that EVERY possible situation is covered?

I think a little common sense needs to apply here.

Hey, the "experts" have decreed it!

:rolleyes:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've always figured the 'we' referred to me and the airplane.....I mean the airplane is always talking to me....'Terrain, PULL UP, PULL UP!'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oh you prefer no ambiguity?! ;)

"My name is Nate and I and my lovely wife Karen, and our 75 lb German Shorthair mix named Dino are with you, in the downwind, enjoying the view of the fall trees and slowing to exactly 85 knots via judicious use of the throttle while monitoring the airspeed indicator, we are also correcting for a slight right drift. November. One Two Seven Niner Mike."

As crazy as that sounds, one of the flight schools on my field has an instructor who is nearly that bad!

"Traffic, Cessna is about 7 point two five miles to the south, we are going to be swinging around to enter the 45 for runway 20 at 1000 feet and slowing to 80 knots. We will proceed into the downwind at 80 knots to land on runway 20, with the option."

Meanwhile the other four aircraft that are already established in the pattern are using 02.... but in addition to making long, detailed radio calls the guy is famous for not listening to the radio and has had several head on situations in the past year.

I ask people on the ham bands if they have a mouse in their pocket. :)

My mom used to ask that whenever somebody used the "editorial we"!

Of course, who's to say some pilots don't travel with a little friend?

pocket.JPG

But... all the airline pilots do!!!!

Seriously though, I do like how it makes the communication a bit more personal. And when the frequency is dead or when it would be quicker than saying "Niner Uniform Juliette" without being ambiguous, then I think it can be a nice touch.

Why? No one cares if you're polite. We are trying not to run into you and vice-versa. It's not unlimited talk and text on your cell phone. We can use that later when you're not flying. ;)

My mom used to ask that whenever somebody used the "editorial we"!

Of course, who's to say some pilots don't travel with a little friend?

pocket.JPG

Some people on the radio do remind me of Lennie from Of Mice and Men. ;)

As crazy as that sounds, one of the flight schools on my field has an instructor who is nearly that bad!

"Traffic, Cessna is about 7 point two five miles to the south, we are going to be swinging around to enter the 45 for runway 20 at 1000 feet and slowing to 80 knots. We will proceed into the downwind at 80 knots to land on runway 20, with the option."

Meanwhile the other four aircraft that are already established in the pattern are using 02.... but in addition to making long, detailed radio calls the guy is famous for not listening to the radio and has had several head on situations in the past year.

Sounds like a Canadian traffic call, er, soliloquy. :rolleyes:

If you're WITH me can you be a pal and grab me a cup of coffee?

I'm always amazed that pilots are much more harsh on radio telephony than controllers.

Oh you prefer no ambiguity?! ;)

"My name is Nate and I and my lovely wife Karen, and our 75 lb German Shorthair mix named Dino are with you, in the downwind, enjoying the view of the fall trees and slowing to exactly 85 knots via judicious use of the throttle while monitoring the airspeed indicator, we are also correcting for a slight right drift. November. One Two Seven Niner Mike."

"Well howdy Nate! My name is Dan and as much as I enjoyed your radio transmission, you entered the pattern a touch high forgetting to announce your altitude. No worries, I have you in sight 10 feet above me now and will try to avoid your gear with my prop":lol:

It's the aircraft. She is a vessel (or "he" if you are a female or just more progressive), and we tend to personify our ships - be they aquatic or aeronautic. The ship (more or less) gives us the gift of lift, and we have traditionally given it the respect of a lovely companion.

Use what you like, but surely "we" is understandable for a pilot and his/her vessel.

"Well howdy Nate! My name is Dan and as much as I enjoyed your radio transmission, you entered the pattern a touch high forgetting to announce your altitude. No worries, I have you in sight 10 feet above me now and will try to avoid your gear with my prop":lol:

ROFL! Nicely done! :)

I suppose Bob could use the 'we're with you' when using his portable mic to acknowledge ATC when doing his mile high thing while IFR. That is if he can find the mic button in the passion of the moment.

Back