Well, that's gonna be life changing, right?

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Let's hop in the wayback machine, back to 1998 before I went to golf school in Arizona. That summer yours truly was engaged. Yes, you read that right. It was short lived as we were young and her parents (especially her mother) - even though they knew I had the ring ahead of time - made her life hell and caused her to break things off. She was an only child and they threatened to disown her if she "married that boy." So I got the ring back, returned it, and moved on.

Over the next 5-1/2 years I would hear from her once in a while. Never saw her, but would get a call at the office, and we would subsequently communicate via email or yahoo chat for a few days or a week and she would disappear again, until at one point, she dropped off the face of the Earth.

Fast forward to last fall, and I get back from Thursday night bowling. I'm going through my email, and I see a request to be added to someone's network on LinkedIn - the only social networking site I use, and only for work contacts with a few exceptions. I recognize the name, which is different than it was back in 1998, but knew who it is was, as I had discovered she had gotten married and had a kid at the end of 2004 while I was looking online to see where she disappeared to. Friday morning I get into work, accept the invitation, and immediately get a chat request from her.

Small talk ensues, she gives me her number and after I work I call her and we start talking - a lot. Like every day. We airline back and forth a few times, and then with the weather getting better I hop in the Comanche almost 2 weeks ago and head off to Florida where she resides now. I take her kids - the oldest of which graduates as valedictorian this May, and is going to FIT for United's aviation program in the fall - out to lunch last Tuesday, and ask them if they are OK with her mom and I getting married. They give their approval.

So the next day, with a ring I got the week prior, I popped the question, again, to the same girl, again, that I did 24 years earlier. She's taken a job (fancy title that had to do with computer coding and robotics) in the medical field local to me, is moving up here with her to be freshman daughter after the oldest gets his feet under him at school, and next summer we are tying the knot.

So that's probably going to be a pretty big change to my life, right?

Last edited:
I’m wondering too, April 1st? A few details are missing? Ex’s?

Other than that it sounds like a wonderful fairytale, I like it.

Congratulations!

But if you need to break it off before the big day, see if you can get her to sign up here. We'll take care of the rest.

Congratulations! Wish both of you all the joy you can find.

But...what will her mother say?

(Couldn't resist)

Let's hop in the wayback machine, back to 1998 before I went to golf school in Arizona. That summer yours truly was engaged. Yes, you read that right. It was short lived as we were young and her parents (especially her mother) - even though they knew I had the ring ahead of time - made her life hell and caused her to break things off. She was an only child and they threatened to disown her if she "married that boy." So I got the ring back, returned it, and moved on.

Over the next 5-1/2 years I would hear from her once in a while. Never saw her, but would get a call at the office, and we would subsequently communicate via email or yahoo chat for a few days or a week and she would disappear again, until at one point, she dropped off the face of the Earth.

Fast forward to last fall, and I get back from Thursday night bowling. I'm going through my email, and I see a request to be added to someone's network on LinkedIn - the only social networking site I use, and only for work contacts with a few exceptions. I recognize the name, which is different than it was back in 1998, but knew who it is was, as I had discovered she had gotten married and had a kid at the end of 2004 while I was looking online to see where she disappeared to. Friday morning I get into work, accept the invitation, and immediately get a chat request from her.

Small talk ensues, she gives me her number and after I work I call her and we start talking - a lot. Like every day. We airline back and forth a few times, and then with the weather getting better I hop in the Comanche almost 2 weeks ago and head off to Florida where she resides now. I take her kids - the oldest of which graduates as valedictorian this May, and is going to FIT for United's aviation program in the fall - out to lunch last Tuesday, and ask them if they are OK with her mom and I getting married. They give their approval.

So the next day, with a ring I got the week prior, I popped the question, again, to the same girl, again, that I did 24 years earlier. She's taken a job (fancy title that had to do with computer coding and robotics) in the medical field local to me, is moving up here with her to be freshman daughter after the oldest gets his feet under him at school, and next summer we are tying the knot.

Congrats!!!
Great story!

Nailing the 7-10 split
An ace on #16 at the WM Phoenix Open
An ace on #17 at TPC Sawgrass
Edfred getting married

All rare things that are very excit……..Ooohh look, The Goonies is on!!! HEEEYYY YOUU GUYYYSSS!!!!

JK, congrats edfred!

Ed, huge smiles over here for you. Many congratulations, I’m extremely happy to read this.

And yes, it’ll change… a few things. Like you’re going to need a bigger plane. :D

Congratulations Ed!

So we're all invited to the fly in/ reception, right?

Congratulations Ed! No man should be exempt from knowing the joys of matrimony.

For those of you wondering if this is an April Fools Joke, you have to ask yourself, am I the type of man that make an announcement like this today. You know that it's April Fools so you clearly can't believe that I would make this announcement today. But I would have counted on that, so clearly you can't believe I wouldn't make this announcement today as an anti-April Fools joke. However, if you look at the time stamp you would have seen that I waited until it was April Fools even in California so no one would in the CONUS would read it on the 31st and think this is real. So clearly you can't believe it to be true. However, you also can see if I waited just 10 more minutes it would have also taken into account that Alaska was still on the 31st, so maybe he posted it as to leave a little room for truth. So clearly you can't believe it to be false. You also know that from my past history I have played April Fools jokes before one of which references a kid, and another referencing my golf school in Arizona, so clearly you can't believe it to be true. But I would have known that, and referenced the previous jokes, just to make you wonder if I made the reference you make you think it was false, but really true, so clearly you can't believe it to be false.

Which leads me to my next point, Texas. As everyone knows Flightaware is based in Texas, and everything is bigger in Texas. So you have to wonder, did he make a flight all the way to Florida just to be traced on Flightaware as a way to make this more believable? With gas prices the way they are, only a great fool would have made such a flight for the purpose of an April Fools joke, so clearly you can't believe it to be a joke. But you also know that I am not a great fool, so perhaps the flight did indeed involve a proposal, so clearly you can't think it's an April Fools joke. But you also know that I am a great pilot, and that great pilots are known for their planning ahead. You would have seen that I mentioned a plus one in other threads in the past few months, and knowing that pilots plan, you have to ask if it was all a set up for an April Fools prank in the future. But I would have counted on you knowing I am a great pilot, so those mentions of a plus one could in fact me true, so clearly you can't believe this to be a joke.

For those of you that want to know the answer, you already know the answer...

What in the world can that be??

For those of you wondering if this is an April Fools Joke, you have to ask yourself, am I the type of man that make an announcement like this today. You know that it's April Fools so you clearly can't believe that I would make this announcement today. But I would have counted on that, so clearly you can't believe I wouldn't make this announcement today as an anti-April Fools joke. However, if you look at the time stamp you would have seen that I waited until it was April Fools even in California so no one would in the CONUS would read it on the 31st and think this is real. So clearly you can't believe it to be true. However, you also can see if I waited just 10 more minutes it would have also taken into account that Alaska was still on the 31st, so maybe he posted it as to leave a little room for truth. So clearly you can't believe it to be false. You also know that from my past history I have played April Fools jokes before one of which references a kid, and another referencing my golf school in Arizona, so clearly you can't believe it to be true. But I would have known that, and referenced the previous jokes, just to make you wonder if I made the reference you make you think it was false, but really true, so clearly you can't believe it to be false.

Which leads me to my next point, Texas. As everyone knows Flightaware is based in Texas, and everything is bigger in Texas. So you have to wonder, did he make a flight all the way to Florida just to be traced on Flightaware as a way to make this more believable? With gas prices the way they are, only a great fool would have made such a flight for the purpose of an April Fools joke, so clearly you can't believe it to be a joke. But you also know that I am not a great fool, so perhaps the flight did indeed involve a proposal, so clearly you can't think it's an April Fools joke. But you also know that I am a great pilot, and that great pilots are known for their planning ahead. You would have seen that I mentioned a plus one in other threads in the past few months, and knowing that pilots plan, you have to ask if it was all a set up for an April Fools prank in the future. But I would have counted on you knowing I am a great pilot, so those mentions of a plus one could in fact me true, so clearly you can't believe this to be a joke.

"...this is the captain speaking. The fasten seat belts sign has been illuminated, please fasten your seat belts as we're about to enter the cone of confusion..."

Well Ed, your post(s) certainly put a smile on my face this morning! Whether you are soon to be betrothed, or your vivid imagination set up an elaborate April Fools scenario - more power to you! You certainly have the intelligence and capacity to do both. Since I have no idea which path is true, congratulations if true, bravo on a clever April Fools joke if not.

Edit - so what happened to April's husband?

I really hope this impossible story is true. Beneath all the, er, well, whatever I think @EdFred is really a sweet guy. Mrs. Steingar likes him, and she does't like anyone including me most days. Life is too short to be lived alone. That said, this sounds a little too much like one of Ed's very acerbic jokes.

Congratulations, I hope. (The I hope is because of April 1st not because of the impending nuptuals.) And , assuming this is all true, always remember April first. Good marriage advice.

I will offer congrats on the 2nd, I know you too well.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

This thread is completely unbelievable without more details. What certificate and ratings does she hold? How many hours as PIC?

Dang, that’s some mastermind level planning/mind f***ery.

Have you by chance ever been a member of a barber shop quartet in Skokie, Illinois or picked coffee beans down in Guatemala?

On social media, I don't think an engagement announcement can be considered legit without a picture or 10. That's the way these things work. It's the rules.

Back