Weird moment in the cockpit

ryan31

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ryan
So currently I am a student pilot and I have been flying by myself for a while now. I was flying yesterday and it was very windy and it made me curse a little which is obvious because it was a bit bumpy. I was communicating on the mic and I did not have my finger on the button and I was talking to myself and it seemed that people on the frequency heard what I was saying in the cockpit. I did not notice until when I was talking to myself, "what is wrong with my mic," and then I hear someone on the frequency say, "nothing is wrong with your mic." Would I be in trouble for this or am I okay?

There have been previous cases… usual penalty is 15 years in the electric chair.
It's not known very widely, but the electric chair got its nickname "The Hot Seat" as an offshoot of people having hot mikes... :)

P.S. Ryan, you aren't in trouble. Sometimes the radio setups glitch and go into the transmit mode even if the PTT isn't pressed. No one will be concerned. It happens, and is called a "hot mike."

There's even an old joke about this. A student pilot is practicing maneuvers, and messes up. He moans, "I'm really F*****ed up today."

Unbeknownst to him, his radio is transmitting. A voice comes on: "Aircraft transmitting, this is Podunk tower. Identify yourself!"

The student sends back, "Listen, buddy, I ain't THAT f****** up....."

Ron Wanttaja

It's not known very widely, but the electric chair got its nickname "The Hot Seat" as an offshoot of people having hot mikes... :)

P.S. Ryan, you aren't in trouble. Sometimes the radio setups glitch and go into the transmit mode even if the PTT isn't pressed. No one will be concerned. It happens, and is called a "hot mike."

There's even an old joke about this. A student pilot is practicing maneuvers, and messes up. He moans, "I'm really F*****ed up today."

Unbeknownst to him, his radio is transmitting. A voice comes on: "Aircraft transmitting, this is Podunk tower. Identify yourself!"

The student sends back, "Listen, buddy, I ain't THAT f****** up....."

Ron Wanttaja
Oh! I see I was very confused about what they meant by the electric chair haha. Thank you for letting me know, I was a bit worried about my foul mouth and the people hearing it.

Oh! I see I was very confused about what they meant by the electric chair haha. Thank you for letting me know, I was a bit worried about my foul mouth and the people hearing it.
Kritchlow was just yanking your chain. Another few months on POA, and you'll be doing it, too... :)

Ron Wanttaja

So there I was….

Forgot to lock my harness on my first fleet trap, was flying with the skipper. Grab a wire, get thrown forward, I’m full stick and throttle forward pushing for all I’m worth trying to NOT eat the instrument panel. “Holy f___!”

Ya, the eff dash dash dash word.

Skipper laughs. Gets the signal to fold the wings, I get the throttle back, hook up, start pulling out of the wires. “Wolf 700 Paddles..”. “Paddles Wolf 700 go ahead”. “We agree”

Skipper and I look at each other, don’t know what they’re talking about and shrug it off.

“Wolf 700 tower, we agree also.” That’s DA BOSS… no clue what he’s talking about either.

About then I realize when I got a death grip on the right throttle I MAY have kinda sorta just ever so slightly keyed the mic when I SCREAMED “holy eff dash dash dash” to God, the world and the whole damn air wing!

Ya, it happens. It’s been 30 years, no official action yet.

On my second solo flight I was excited enough I was singing to myself (I thought). Put in a good 15-20 minutes out to the practice area and back. Then figured out the mic was stuck. :eek::oops:

When I signed off of ground I got a “Thanks for the kareoki “ from ground.

Please don’t confess it was Barry Manilow or something. Cause I got this picture of you screaming Thunderstruck at the top of your lungs behind a hundred screaming horses of a 150! And I like that picture!!

And maintenance wondering where all the new cracks on the glare shield came from….

Was in the pattern at KRYY when a CFI started talking a student through a landing flare and touch down while keying the mike. "ease back, hold it there, hold it, hold it, dip the right wing, hold it, hold it". Tower was not thrilled with CFI.

Please don’t confess it was Barry Manilow or something. Cause I got this picture of you screaming Thunderstruck at the top of your lungs behind a hundred screaming horses of a 150! And I like that picture!!

And maintenance wondering where all the new cracks on the glare shield came from….
Elton John, I Guess That’s WhyThey Call it the Blues. And it was 160 hp 172.

On the plus side I was a voice major and I can sing.

A lot of pilots, just like the rest of the population, are prone to the ever-more common banality of swearing over the slightest things… trust me, as an instructor you’ll hear the vast majority of your students do it, even if you don’t!

That said, I do have some opinions…

First, own up that you probably WERE keying the mike when you did that, otherwise others wouldn’t have heard it. You aren’t perfect and neither am I, but denial isn’t just a river in Egypt, and there are those hazardous attitudes to consider.

Second, genuinely think about cleaning up that mouth, and save those words for the more serious occasions! Using them too often softens their emphasis when there’s an actual problem, much like the story of the boy who cried wolf.

Third, I’m more concerned about a Creator who judges my idle words than I am about my fellow foul-mouthed humans…

Cheers.

So there I was….

Forgot to lock my harness on my first fleet trap, was flying with the skipper. Grab a wire, get thrown forward, I’m full stick and throttle forward pushing for all I’m worth trying to NOT eat the instrument panel. “Holy f___!”

Skipper laughs. Gets the signal to fold the wings, I get the throttle back, hook up, start pulling out of the wires. “Wolf 700 Paddles..”. “Paddles Wolf 700 go ahead”. “We agree”

Skipper and I look at each other, don’t know what they’re talking about and shrug it off.

“Wolf 700 tower, we agree also.” That’s DA BOSS… no clue what he’s talking about either.

About then I realize when I got a death grip on the right throttle I MAY have kinda sorta just ever so slightly keyed the mic when I SCREAMED “holy eff dash dash dash” to God, the world and the whole damn air wing!

An incident like that would be call sign worthy…

My stuck mic was at Albuquerque International as we were taxiing to the ramp after landing. Folks listening in on United Channel 9 got to hear what a great FBO Cutter is.

My wife's strongest curse words are, "Well, well, Drat-and-a-half!"
Seems like a good choice for all but the worst of surprised reactions.

Was working arrival one day when one of our local F-18 squadrons (VMFA-533) was doing a fam flight for an enlisted Marine. Coming back from the warning area, Sea Lord hands the aircraft to approach and tells them their back seater has a hot mic. I get the hand off from approach and the pilot also alerts me to the pax hot mic. I relay that info to the tower just before switching them. The conversation over tower’s freq went something like (pilot)”Ok, this is called the overhead…gonna put some Gs on ya so get ready.” A few seconds later (pax) “hooollllyyy *****!”

I was trying to contact an FBO, but there was another airplane with a stuck mic on freq, and he was trash talking the gal at the FBO something fierce for not answering the radio. I asked center if he was working Nxxxxx, and he said no. I asked if he could find out who was, and could they let him know he had a stuck mic on Unicom.

A few seconds later, I hear, “Is this thing stuck?” <click, click, click>, and he’s off the air.
Then, from the FBO, “Yes, <name>, you had a stuck mic, and I heard EVERY WORD you said.”

Elton John, I Guess That’s WhyThey Call it the Blues. And it was 160 hp 172.

On the plus side I was a voice major and I can sing.

My airborne repertoire is usually along the lines of “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot,” “Nearer My God To Thee,” “Ring Of Fire,” “In the Sweet By and By,”....

My passengers seem to get a bit nervous.

Stuck mic happens, but sometimes when we are stressed² we do stupid things. I was in a busy pattern and a student kept keying up to talk to his instructor. Some one told him, it stopped for a minute, then he went right back to it. It happens, but try to fix it.

My airborne repertoire is usually along the lines of “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot,” “Nearer My God To Thee,” “Ring Of Fire,” “In the Sweet By and By,”....

Especially on "final approach?"

Stuck mic happens, but sometimes when we are stressed² we do stupid things. I was in a busy pattern and a student kept keying up to talk to his instructor. Some one told him, it stopped for a minute, then he went right back to it. It happens, but try to fix it.
stressed squared. How'd you do that?

I had a student out flying solo, and I’m not sure who started it, but they both started making position announcements for “runway 40.”

He was rather embarrassed when I mentioned it. ;)

I heard a story... maybe it was in the Chuck Yeager autobiography, I don't know. Anyhow, this test pilot was putting and experimental airplane through its paces a totally lost control. The plane is hurtling toward the deck. The pilot can't eject for some reason. Instead of screaming and cursing and going nuts, the test pilot simply called out all his data read-outs until he hit the desert floor.

That is my definition of "bad-a$$"

I had a student out flying solo, and I’m not sure who started it, but they both started making position announcements for “runway 40.”

He was rather embarrassed when I mentioned it. ;)

If you want to mess with everyone in the vicinity, you and your student can do tower calls at an untowered airport.

Student - “Podunk tower, Bugsmasher 123AB, requesting the option.”
You - “123AB, make 45 entry to the downwind for runway 23 and advise midfield.”

And so on....
:D

I was doing steep turns with my son and busted my altitude by 50'. "Oops."

In retrospect, I should have used the inside voice for that one.

I was doing steep turns with my son and busted my altitude by 50'. "Oops."

In retrospect, I should have used the inside voice for that one.
As I told my brother years ago, “oops” is not a word you want to hear from the guy who’s overhauling your transmission.

My airborne repertoire is mostly sea shanties. Single seater, but I still get occasional bad reviews from the termites.....

Ron Wanttaja

I heard a story... maybe it was in the Chuck Yeager autobiography, I don't know. Anyhow, this test pilot was putting and experimental airplane through its paces a totally lost control. The plane is hurtling toward the deck. The pilot can't eject for some reason. Instead of screaming and cursing and going nuts, the test pilot simply called out all his data read-outs until he hit the desert floor.
That's "Winding the Clock"...test pilot level.

Ron Wanttaja

That is my definition of "bad-a$$"

That story or one much like it is in the book The Right Stuff.

So there I was….

But did it earn you a new callsign? I'm thinking "Preacher"

I was trying to contact an FBO, but there was another airplane with a stuck mic on freq, and he was trash talking the gal at the FBO something fierce for not answering the radio. I asked center if he was working Nxxxxx, and he said no. I asked if he could find out who was, and could they let him know he had a stuck mic on Unicom.

A few seconds later, I hear, “Is this thing stuck?” <click, click, click>, and he’s off the air.
Then, from the FBO, “Yes, <name>, you had a stuck mic, and I heard EVERY WORD you said.”

As the father of a young gal who works the desk at a Bravo FBO, pilots get trash talked for lack of decent set of manners as well. Just not over a hot mic. Oh, she had a lot to say about the cheapo who spent a good amount of time demanding a bucket of hot water to “de-ice” the windscreen of his million dollar airplane.

As the father of a young gal who works the desk at a Bravo FBO, pilots get trash talked for lack of decent set of manners as well. Just not over a hot mic. Oh, she had a lot to say about the cheapo who spent a good amount of time demanding a bucket of hot water to “de-ice” the windscreen of his million dollar airplane.
She should have made sure he got it.

Could have bee worse...for example this Southwest pilot departing San Jose, CA:

Back