We have an airplane

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
Seller agreed to fix the starter adapter. Should close this next week.

We have yet another thread on it now too

So many threads I can't remember most of the context!

Great, glad you were able to work it out... Good luck on the closing...:yes:

Was the plane owned by TE or on a leaseback??? Also, how did you get the owner, be it TE or an individual, to budge? Curious.

Was the plane owned by TE or on a leaseback??? Also, how did you get the owner, be it TE or an individual, to budge? Curious.

No it was owned by an individual. We told the broker we were going to walk. There were 6 pages of squawks albeit some were your standard wear and tear bs items. But credit due TE they did a good job. Anyway, there were three items that it came down to-one cosmetic, the starter and the prop & gov o/h. The starter was the thing we were adamant about. Seller agreed when we told broker we were going to walk.

Sorry I can't contain my excitement. And there are posts of you complaining on each one. So tell you what....just ignore my posts and make both of us happy.

Congrats! It's like buying your first house, an exciting day it will be.

Sorry I can't contain my excitement. And there are posts of you complaining on each one. So tell you what....just ignore my posts and make both of us happy.
When I bought my Bonanza I was as excited as a kid at Christmas. But there were still jerks that tried to complain about Bonanzas. I admit that it bothered me for a little while. But I got over it.

Congrats and hope your closing comes off as expected. It sounds like you bought a fine bird.

When I bought my Bonanza I was as excited as a kid at Christmas. But there were still jerks that tried to complain about Bonanzas. I admit that it bothered me for a little while. But I got over it.

Congrats and hope your closing comes off as expected. It sounds like you bought a fine bird.

I think so (and hope so) John. Thanks. Only time will tell if it's a good bird. I have no reason to think the closing won't go ok. Must admit I'm getting excited to finish up my instrument on her.

Don't forget to pull the chute if you don't get the favorite ILS

Don't forget to pull the chute if you don't get the favorite ILS

Wow...WTF is wrong with you two exactly? Don't like talking airplanes? Go find a cribbage forum. Otherwise, to paraphrase EdFred, quit acting like asshats.

You guys apparently have a bad case of penis envy.

I love hearing about the aircraft buying process. In a few years I hope to be doing the same with my dream plane and find these threads very helpful.

Thanks for the updates :yes:

I love hearing about the aircraft buying process. In a few years I hope to be doing the same with my dream plane and find these threads very helpful.

Thanks for the updates :yes:

You're welcome. Imo if you're not adverse a small partnership (llc) is a good way to go. You can split costs, and the plane will fly more which will be good for the plane. It has been a learning experience.

Wow...WTF is wrong with you two exactly? Don't like talking airplanes? Go find a cribbage forum. Otherwise, to paraphrase EdFred, quit acting like asshats.

+1. Why not be happy for the guy or gtfo?

Tim, interesting comment.:D

When I encounter jerks on forums, I typically look at their other comments and postings to see if maybe they are having a bad day, so I can temper my response. I looked at the two that were negative. You can tell their personality by their posts on other topics as well. Probably worth my time and everyone else's to just ignore them. Not worth it because of their continuous toxic negativity, not just to me but to others. Other than that, we should meet up for lunch some time. How far away are you from Columbia MO again? Looks like I'll be visiting the kid at Mizzou or his sister who lives by KSUS in the new "wheels" er wings.

Last edited:

My guess - pure envy. When I flew my Cirrus to my home airport I caught a lot of SH** about a Cirrus. I wasn't a real pilot - real pilot's dont need parachutes, Low wings suck... blah blah. All haters.

Now 600 hours later I'm instrument rated and nearly a multi engine commercial pilot and the same guys still hate Cirrus.

Then I flew my 2nd Cirrus home and the same haters still hate. To hell with them. I would never say or disrespect them or their planes.

I heard a lot about cirrus haters

Last edited:
I'll admit I am envious of Cirrus owners, but congrats nonetheless!! I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could.

I'm in the planning stages of buying a plane and cant wait to feel that same pride in ownership. I'm looking to get a BRS equipped plane so I expect to hear flack from the same naysayers.

Anyway, there were three items that it came down to-one cosmetic, the starter and the prop & gov o/h.

Was there a condition with the prop that the mechanic identified?

Or just a six year overhaul?

Mike Busch says the six year prop overhaul service bulletin recommendation is far too cautious for a plane that is hangared and flies often enough.
https://www.savvymx.com/index.php/25k

I heard a lot about cirrus haters

er.... my phone sent before I finished typing.
In the context of the thread that is funny.

I heard a lot of people fell into the cirrus hater group but I have never met anyone that had anything negative to say about the plane. There was one person on this board that was quite blatant about his hate for anything new, modern, etc. He just flew with a mortar and pestal and a sundial I think.

I am WAY jealous of cirrus owners I see on the ramp (Especially when they are younger than me :) ). I will likely never be in that pay grade (or my other lifestyle choices will keep me out of it anyway)

I wasn't crazy about the idea of getting one at first because as a newish pilot All I had to go on really was appearances and I was never crazy about how the Cirrus looked. I felt they all looked the same and are kind of feminine looking.

Once we took the test flight, I quit caring how it looked right away.

That said, I had no say anyway. Other planes we were considering would have allowed me to assist financially but this plane, I can't really make a dent. I am fortuante to be ably to fly it and At some point later in life if I have the means so choose from planes in this price point, I would pick the cirrus.

It has everything the pilot needs and lots to offer pax as well.
Big inside, fast, easy to get in and out, peace of mind (chute), very comfortable, feels similar to a car.

If they would put a chute on a commander though....
Then you can have all that and add Striking good looks :)

My curiosity is piqued. What other planes do you consider feminine looking? What planes look masculine?

They just look elegant and soft.
The new Mooney too.

I understand why planes are going that way but a few hard edges here and there make for more stately appearance.

I have to admit, I am an ex-Cirrus hater. I still have never flown one, nor do I have any desire to own one (not my mission), but I have begun to see their usefulness as an aircraft.

Initially what made me a Cirrus hater was the massively unsafe record it posessed with the parachute and the idea that the pilots seemed to be extra brazen due to the chute. It also seemed to be the new doctor killer.

Now that cirrus has revamped their safety record, I do see the merits of a cirrus and its capability. Additionally the parachute seems to finally be helping in a positive direction.

I'm no longer a cirrus hater and I do respect them, I still have an issue with the fact that the spin recovery technique is "pull chute"

Not a hater here in any manner...love the SR22...glad to see you guys this far along into ownership.

I do have a question about the prebuy...

6 pages of squawks and you settled for a started adaptor?

Was this list unreasonable? Unaddressed wear and tear items can, in some instances, show deferred maintenance.

I know you may not want to share the list and your reasoning but that is a huge concession in my opinion (of course my opinion is formed with no details) and am sincerely wondering how you and your partner came to the decision to settle with only the starter adaptor.

Also, consider simply getting the prop resealed, not overhauled...

Last edited:
Not a hater here in any manner...love the SR22...glad to you you guys this far along into ownership.

I do have a question about the prebuy...

6 pages of squawks and you settled for a started adaptor?

Was this list unreasonable? Unaddressed wear and tear items can, in some instances, shoe deferred maintenance.

I know you may not want to share the list and your reasoning but that is a huge concession in my opinion (of course my opinion is formed with no details) and am sincerely wondering how you and yoru partner came to the decision to settle with only the starter adaptor.

Also, consider simply getting the prop resealed, not overhauled...

Thank you. The 6 pages of squawks included quotes for repairs (including alternative costs for rebuilt etc.). Most of the items were SB that are recommended and the costs. In our purchase agreement recommended SB were not included, only A/D, and other "airworthiness" items.

There were several items, besides the three major items noted previously, i.e. the cushions or pucks on the strut that were suggested to be replaced; or the hoses; or dirty screws, or, a front baffle that needed to be replaced, a dirty TKS filter, etc. etc. I think they were giving us all of the items that would have brought it in line with a NEW aircraft (within reason). Travel Express did, I thought, a nice job going through it with a fine tooth comb. It has least given us a plan on what to address as part of our projected maintenance program. And yes, there were some areas of deferred maintenance. One of my partners directs a Part 135 operation, so I think they were very picky in getting all of the SB addressed etc.

The cosmetic item, i.e. the cracked lens on the LoPresti HID lights on the left wingtip took 3/4 of a page to discuss. Clearly cosmetic, upset me because of the way the plane was advertised, but I knew the seller wouldn't fix it. I thought he should, but that's my opinion as it was advertised in "excellent" condition. Frankly, I thought he should have filed an insurance claim to get it fixed. Still irritated as we will have to get it done at some point, but overall it's a nice bird.Cosmetic stuff was outside the scope of the purchase agreement. But we tried. The starter adapter and option/costs took about 1/3 of a page. So it really wasn't all that bad.

The prop overhaul and governor was a concern. After speaking to many Cirrus owners, they do not get it overhauled unless they notice leaks or play.

There were two items the seller gave us a heads up on - namely the Skywatch and backup a/s indicator that needed to be repaired and he agreed prior to re-position that it was his responsibility. Those were also mentioned in the pages of squawks.

So, to be reasonable, we settled on the starter adapter because we didn't want to fly somewhere and be stranded. You have to pick your spots IMO.

Thanks for asking.

Congratulations.:D Are you going to keep it at DuPage? And hey, about all those guys who "hate" Cirrus airplanes -- I LOVEEEEEEE the SR22 and would be flying one today but my budget can't afford it any longer, so now I'm into a C172SP G1000. Good luck with your GREAT airplane.

Last edited:
Let me know if you ever make it to Springfield with it. Would love a ride around the pattern.

Back