Was followed today.

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Challenged, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Fiveslide

Fiveslide Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fiveslide
    You've obviously never been to Mayberry. Just north of Mount Pilot, where Barney tried to bust all the trucks trying to get a little extra speed before the grade.

Cities of Mount Airy and Pilot Mountain, NC.

2. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Canis Non Grata
    Be careful, many twenty somethings think that things these days are the worst in the history of mankind. You will destroy their minds if you prove them wrong.

3. Cooter

Cooter Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cooter
  4. DesertNomad

DesertNomad Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    DesertNomad
    I live in a townhome and don't really have a back door, but local friends in a typical suburbia neighborhood in Northern Nevada have never locked any of their doors. I doubt they even know where the keys are. I am as Libertarian/Republican as they come but I can't imagine carrying a gun everywhere I go.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  5. Josh Jackson

Josh Jackson Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Josh Jackson
    I dont really care if you believe the information or not. I have a six year old daughter in an area where this is a very real threat. Nearly every month we get reports attempted abductions from shopping centers here and almost weekly from vans.

Right now the big threat is small UHaul trucks.

So take it or leave it, no skin off my back.

6. azblackbird

azblackbird Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    azblackbird
    You’re correct. When I was taking my CDL one of our test courses was to watch a video on human trafficking. In fact there’s a huge organization called “Truckers against Trafficking” which the majority of the major trucking companies sponsor. I was amazed to learn that human trafficking was such a widespread problem, which only makes sense to enroll truckers to keep their eyes and ears open since they’re running up and down the nations highways and can help law enforcement combat this problem.

MIFlyer likes this.
  7. Fiveslide

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fiveslide
    Ever had your trailer Xray-ed. Happened to me a couple of times in southern Arizona. It may be infrared or something else, but you park and they drive this big machine by your trailer.

I inadvertently allowed an illegal immigrant to evade CBP in Nogales. He sprinted past my truck as I went up a little one lane road to a drop yard. CBP officer was chasing in a Tahoe and lost him when he couldn't get past me.

8. azblackbird

azblackbird Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    azblackbird
    I’ve seen those machines on the tv show about the border patrol agents. Pretty cool stuff. I’m just a local driver who delivers cow vitamins to dairies so I don’t travel too far.

9. old_biker

old_biker Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    old_biker
    one of my friends moved recently to Cana, he did live in the bad area I had mentioned, but he is hooked since so much better than where he lived & he can get delivery from so many places in Mt Airy. I know of many better choices for rural places to live though in my opinion, as for the speed reference on the trucks, since they put the interstate in, & don't allow truckers up & down 52 anymore, no need for the extra 5 mph. lol. but I remember it so well when truckers were using it as a primary road

10. Cooter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cooter
    I sense people being triggered. :mad3:

Katamarino likes this.
  11. Fiveslide

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fiveslide
    We used to play Mount Airy in highschool. Used to got to the pool hall up there and cruised my mustang gt to pick up chicks on 601.

I swear I'm not a douchebag anymore.

12. CharlieD3

CharlieD3 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    CharlieD3
    Trafficking is a problem. East TN 3 major interstates. Drugs, children, teens. It happens more frequently than most imagine.

I don't carry 16/7 anymore (8 hours of sleep). But carrying, and brushing aside my jacket to reveal a holstered weapon stopped the threat that day, and put an end to harassment and terroristic activities against my family. I had started carrying after "they" tried to blow up my van which was parked on the street in front of my house.

Once they knew I was armed... All of the BS stopped. My late wife even had a revolver by her side all the time while I was working.

I will carry again. But I'm waiting for the law to change here... (First of the year).

13. sourdough44

sourdough44 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    WI Flyer
    Years ago I had a threat developing. I put my hand in my jacket pocket & left it there. The potential perp asked me a BS question, I just looked at him, keeping distance. He then asked if I was a Cop?

I said, why would that matter if I was? He then left hastily, off the quiet trail in a large city park.

I know bluffing isn’t a commonly recommended technique, but that’s all I had at the time.

14. old_biker

old_biker Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    old_biker
    in my young days I preferred Galax, and cruised there, due to muscles cars stayed on there another decade, while most kids were hopping 4 cylinders, Galax had an abundance of muscle cars but its not a good place anymore, & either area is 70-80 mile drive for me, I tend to go in VA to quieter towns.

15. Ghery

Ghery Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ghery Pettit
    Not just 20 somethings. I've got high school classmates who are of the same thought process (or lack thereof). Their minds are made up, any democrat is the savior of the world, the current President is bad and guns are evil. Don't confuse them with the facts. Oh, and we graduated in 1970.

Zeldman, 1RTK1, Mason and 3 others like this.
  16. PPC1052

PPC1052 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    PPC
    I am no expert on the subject, but my uncle once faked carrying to scare off would be assailants. They left him alone because they merely thought he had a gun. I am sure some assailants would decide to retreat if they see gun rather than pursue what they previously thought was unarmed prey. So, maybe a show of force has its place if it can de-escalate a situation?

17. DaleB

DaleB En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    DaleB
    I'm sure that in some cases it will keep you from getting attacked. IN other cases it will make the attacker up the ante. What we don't know is how skewed those percentages are... but my money's more on the "won't attack someone we think will fight back" side.

Think about this: You're a lowlife criminal. You want to steal some money so you can go buy some drugs. From your corner, you see three people walking down three different dark, empty streets. One is a 5'5 guy with a slight bulge in the waistband under his shirt. One is a 5'5 woman carrying a purse. One is a 5'5 woman with a purse, but she's got one hand IN the purse. You don't know for sure if any are armed or will fight back. Who's going to get robbed?

18. EdFred

EdFred Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    The guy that uses Signature for an FBO.

diabolical, david.h, TCABM and 11 others like this.
  19. DaleB

DaleB En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    DaleB
    You are correct, sir!

20. MIFlyer

MIFlyer Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    MIFlyer
    Yeah and honestly if I honk at or am honked at, I’ll go a little out of my way to create space and let things diffuse. Even if I have to beep at someone to go in green, I’ll create a few car lengths of space between us.

To the op, I would have had a passenger get a phone discreetly and before trapping yourself on a quiet dead end, I’d have made some turnoffs to ensure I was being followed and then kept driving normally while dw calls 911. I would not pull into a dead end or go anywhere close to my actual destination.

In high school my buddy and I were cruising on a Friday night. We stopped at a park bathroom, laughing and joking, not paying any attention to the other guys in there. Upon leaving, on the two lane, 8 mile dike road, they tore up right behind us. They were in a muscle car so we figured they just wanted to drive fast so we waved them around us. They passed us, then started slowing down to like 5mph. We moved to pass them and they moved to the center of the road and four guys with bats got out.

We were 16 and didn’t have guns yet.

Soooo, we started backing up. They tried too, but my buddy backed our suburban at 35mph at night successfully. Their driver had less success and unfortunately they backed off the embankment into a field (instead of falling off the other side to the river).

We then raced away while they were stuck and called the sheriff from a farmers house,but they were gone before he arrived.

Next day the driver who threatened us knocks on my buddy’s door at home, threatening him further and saying that we “never should have laughed at him in the bathroom “. My buddy was like, we didn’t even know you were there, idiot, get over yourself it had nothing to do with you.

Guy continued to make tough noises if we saw him around for a year or so.

Lessons:
    Diffuse when possible (tried and failed)
    Run when possible (be a better driver - worked)
    If all else fails, have a plan c. They were going to get real familiar with the undercarriage of a suburban if we couldn’t have avoided them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. MIFlyer

MIFlyer Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    MIFlyer
    Did the suspect swear on a stack of bibles that he’d leave you alone if you gave him the money? Was it notarized or more of a gentleman’s agreement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. MtnMarcus

MtnMarcus Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    PropWash
    Really? How do you know what the guy's intent is? What if he takes your wallet then slits your throat or shoots you or takes a baseball bat to your head? Someone tries to rob me in a hostile manner, they will be met with deadly force.....no questions asked.

23. Lachlan

Lachlan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lachlan
    I’d go for the person with their hand in their purse already, who is clearly exhibiting outstanding customer service by being prepared to meet my expectations with prompt service.

SkyDog58 and Cooter like this.
  24. DaleB

DaleB En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    DaleB
    Ah, if only all muggers were so accommodating! :) Indeed, the woman with the hand already in her purse will be prepared to provide her attacker with exactly what is needed.

Cooter likes this.
  25. Lachlan

Lachlan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lachlan
    So it’s not just a purse, but a soft-sided beer cooler as well? Thumbs UP!!!

26. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    Then don’t. :)
    Just please don’t impose your choice on me. Not implying you would just asking politely that you don’t.

denverpilot, Ghery and BrianNC like this.
  27. Ryanb

Ryanb Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    You seem to imply that every statement someone makes is imposing their choice or opinion on you. If you don’t like what someone says and it’s not directed toward you, then keep scrolling.

Seems a little hypocritical to call someone out for sharing their opinion, but it’s okay for you to call them out and tell them not to impose their choice on you.

DesertNomad likes this.
  28. Tom-D

Tom-D Taxi to Parking PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    My trailer hitch has caused more pain than my gun ever will.

29. Cooter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cooter
    I don’t think anyone was called out. We live a time where we’re starting to see that opinions matter and freedoms are being restricted. The right not to exercise a right is still freedom, I think that was his point.

30. Ryanb

Ryanb Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    It’s more or less in reference to a post where I made a comment that I felt it was unacceptable for a few of our members to make light of the fact that Tom is in the hospital - various jokes and what not.

@Tarheelpilot was quick to point out that I should’ve kept my opinion to myself and that I shouldn’t have tried to defend Tom. Now, DesertNomad made a statement of his own, but THP made a comment not to impose his viewpoints on him, when they never were directed at anyone at all. Not that big of a deal, but it’s the same principle. Seems like a double edged sword.

31. EdFred

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    The problem isn't the people have different opinions, the problem is that those (not all, just the really vocal ones) people try to turn their opinions into law forcing other people's to share their opinion through legislation.

denverpilot and 1RTK1 like this.
  32. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    To those jumping on Josh Jackson:

I won't reveal where he works. I won't reveal where my wife works either but they work a few feet from each other in different buildings and I hear similar stories from her all the time.

He speaks the truth.

33. 1RTK1

1RTK1 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ralph
    Who's Josh Jackson?

34. EdFred

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ed Frederick
    New guy in this thread being called a liar.

35. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    You must be illiterate.

Edit:
    I initially replied when I didn’t have time to adequately respond. My reply was hasty and smart A**. For that I apologize

To more accurately respond.

1. I did not imply nor did I think the post was imposing on me and I did not dislike it at all.

2. I did not “call the poster out” or in any way oppress their freedom of expression.

Not sure where you are getting all that in my post but it is not there...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  36. 1RTK1

1RTK1 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ralph

Had to read back, yep it does happen, I know a few people in law enforcement that would agree.

37. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    you need to go back up to my response to your post. I edited it. You are reading way to much into what I said. I think you are seeing what you want to see. Not what’s actually there. No double edged swords.

38. OkieFlyer

OkieFlyer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Andrew L.
    Lawton is rough to this day. My cousin worked as an undercover narcotics agent down there for awhile. He complained often about the large Bandidos presence as well as major cartel activity. I wish Fort Sill north of town could train their field artillery south and raise a few hoods to the ground. Sparing the good folks, of course.

39. DaleB

DaleB En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    DaleB
    Artillery is notoriously indiscriminate. They have dropped a few rounds into the lake at LETRA before, and I heard they dropped a few into a pasture out by Elgin one day. Way back when... late 70s. It's a training area, after all.

TCABM likes this.
  40. Mooney Fan

Mooney Fan Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mooney Fan