Warning for younger aggressive drivers...

If you're in the left-hand lane of a divided highway, you aren't in the process of passing slower traffic and there is traffic behind you wanting to pass, you need to move right to allow them to pass, without regard to what your speed is. Right of way is not dependent upon the speed at which the yielding car is driving - and why would anyone actually want to create greater congestion and danger?

Excellent point. Spend some time on German Autobahnen and it will spoil you for life. Barrel along at 260 km/h, whatever, in the left lane and slower traffic in front will obediently and expeditiously move over. It's the law. And no passing on the right. Makes it tough to return to the states with our Brownian motion traffic.

Last edited:
Excellent point. Spend some time on German Autobahnen and it will spoil you for life. Barrel along at 260 km/h, whatever, in the left lane and slower traffic in front will obediently and expeditiously move over. It's the law. And no passing on the right. Makes it tough to return to the states with our Brownian motion traffic.

History has shown obedient Germans can be a good thing or a very bad thing. :)

A couple weeks ago I was making my way through a 4 lane cross/merge point which both originated from and diverged into different roadways. It was about 8:45am during the work week, which I suspect was significant. There were traffic lights on both ends of the cross lane merge. Some kid in a late-model Chevy Cruze comes flying down the left-most entrance to the merge point, cuts through 3 lanes of traffic and attempts to arrive in the right-most lane. Only problem was that I had just received a green light to enter the merge and ended up inadvertently blocking him since I was also moving into the right-hand lane. To say that he was irate would be an understatement, and I got the full show of shouting, hand gestures, blaring horn, etc. He got in behind me and tailgated so closely I'm surprised there wasn't bumper contact. I maintained the speed limit coming out of the merge point, down a single-lane entrance ramp to another 4-lane roadway, and immediately moved to the right-hand lane once I merged onto the roadway. Anticipating what was likely to happen, I also let up on the gas, and sure enough, he darts around to cut me off and comes to an abrupt stop in front of me in the right-hand lane.

I drive a 4WD pickup truck which is 12 years old and has 175k+ miles on it. It's still in good shape, but it's hardly new. I could have probably kept going at the speed limit and crushed half of this kid's new car, but in my state you are presumed at fault for a rear-end collision unless there is evidence to the contrary. I thought at that moment that I really should be running a dash cam, since had I not anticipated his actions I likely would have hit him. And he isn't the first example of roadway stupidity that I've encountered.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good dash cam?

I have a Street Guardian SG9663dc. It's expensive, but the video quality is the best I've found on a dual-channel camera. It's also very well-supported by the company. Here's some test video. (There probably are more on my Vimeo page that I haven't embedded yet.)

https://www.geekonthehill.com/2018/03/20/street-guardian-sg9663dc-test-demo-videos/

Full disclosure: The Amazon links on that site are monetized. We are not Communists, after all.

Rich

Around here, you best be wearing kevlar if you try that.... it's ugly.

There was a rollover on the highway here today.

Takes a truly special kind of stupid to pull that one off in rush hour stop and go traffic in perfect weather.

Can we give drivers like that a 709 ride? That’s nearly too dumb to be allowed on public roads.

...Most of my commute is that kind of traffic where one lone self appointed rolling road block keeps a line of cars hostage by staying even with a heavily burdened semi. Or, two lanes of traffic have seemingly succumbed to that white line delerium where the speed gradually slows down for no reason, until I finally see a break large enough to pass. Except now mr. Prius is willing to do 80 to stay in front of me and leaps over the lane to keep me from passing.
I swear, some people drive like they're mentally ill. One time, I was in the right-hand lane of two, when I noticed a car on my left going the same speed, with a long stretch in front of us without any cars, and a whole bunch blocked behind us. I was going as fast as I wanted to go, so I slowed down in an attempt to make space for people to get by the guy. So then the A-H slows down with me! At this point, I had had enough, so I suddenly floored it, and since my pickup has good acceleration when it's empty, the guy was unable to keep up with me. I did NOT like being used in that way!

Every once in a while there is a cop in the right place....waiting at the metering light to get onto 25 when a jerk in a BMW is hauling ass up the HOV entrance ramp. A Denver PD motorcycle cop, in plain view, is at the top of the ramp! When I finally get onto 25 the cop, with a big smile, is writing the guy a well deserved ticket!!
Reminds me of a time when I was waiting for a red light at an intersection that did not have protected left turns. I saw a guy turn left, swishing a pedestrian who was crossing on the same green light. The pedestrian had to break her gait, and the cop who was sitting right there swooped out and stopped the motorist. I remember thinking to myself, "Now THERE was a righteous bust!"

History has shown obedient Germans can be a good thing or a very bad thing. :)

Trust me, it's a very good thing when it comes to high performance driving. ;)

I'm digging my M240i...the Germans just flat out know how to make great performance cars. Braking systems, suspension, etc. need to be good when you have to decelerate from 150 to 100 mph, in an environment where that legally, routinely happens. No matter how disciplined the drivers, when the closing speeds are that high, you'll need to be hard on the binders when the car that doesn't see you pops out to pass.

There was a rollover on the highway here today.

Takes a truly special kind of stupid to pull that one off in rush hour stop and go traffic in perfect weather.

Can we give drivers like that a 709 ride? That’s nearly too dumb to be allowed on public roads.

We had a dual fatality over the weekend. Three lane road with a middle turn lane. Traffic backed up to hell and back in one direction.

A knucklehead decided to use the middle lane for a lengthy high speed pass and had a head-on with a car turning across traffic. Killed the knucklehead and the driver of the other car. The road where this happened is on my commute to drop my son at school in the morning. I see this kind of behavior (using the middle, turning lane as a passing lane) all the time to pass school buses- on that stretch of road.

It doesn't get much stupider or less responsible.

I've been commuting by bus for the last 4 years. Had to drive across town last Friday. Also drove to San Antonio last week. My observations:

There are three epidemics that have gotten exponentially worse in the last 4 years here in Houston.
1. People refusing to keep right. If you aren't passing then move over. It's easy. Do it.

2. Hazard lights on in the rain. We get it, it's raining. And when it rains in Houston it rains hard. Everyone is already driving slow just like you. We don't need your flashers blinding everyone on the freeway. Turn them off.

3. 18 wheelers in the left lane. The speed limit is for ideal conditions. You're in a 18 wheeler, that's not an ideal condition and you shouldn't be speeding. Therefore most people will be passing you. Stay out of the left lane. Period.

We had a dual fatality over the weekend. Three lane road with a middle turn lane. Traffic backed up to hell and back in one direction.

A knucklehead decided to use the middle lane for a lengthy high speed pass and had a head-on with a car turning across traffic. Killed the knucklehead and the driver of the other car. The road where this happened is on my commute to drop my son at school in the morning. I see this kind of behavior (using the middle, turning lane as a passing lane) all the time to pass school buses- on that stretch of road.

It doesn't get much stupider or less responsible.

I've also noticed that some people will do pretty much anything to pass a school bus, including passing when oncoming traffic is too close for comfort on two-lane roads, passing on the shoulder, passing on driveways or through corner parking lots, or passing in no-passing zones. I've witnessed some pretty close calls caused by people who were desperate to get out from behind a school bus.

I can kind of sympathize with them. Unlike myself, there are people who actually have to get to work and other appointments at specific times; and along some roads, getting stuck behind one school bus can easily triple your travel time. They stop every hundred feet or so, all traffic in all directions has to stop and wait for them, and the drivers are told by their employers and unions to never wave traffic past them (as the law allows them to do) to avoid potential lawsuits.

To make matters worse, every third or fourth parent seems to have some reason to stand by the door of the bus and and ******** with the bus driver for five or ten minutes. I always wonder what they could possibly be talking about, especially during drop-off time. When departing to school, maybe there's a legitimate reason to talk to the driver. They might be telling him or her to drop the kid off at Grandma's that afternoon. But what could they possibly need to talk to the driver about once the kids are home? It makes no sense. Collect your kid and get out of the way, dammit.

Sometimes the drivers will pull over every so often and let the traffic behind them pass them. Other times they won't. I suspect it has to do with how many parents delayed them with long conversations about pointless ********.

The railroad crossings are another problem. We have several scenic railroads here that run on weekends during the summer, and rarely at any other time. We also have a lot of railroad crossings that haven't had trains roll over them in decades; but because they're technically still part of the scenic railroads, they're not exempt. Some of the crossings couldn't possibly be used because the connecting trackage was washed out in one or another of the storms. But the school buses still have to stop at them. Every. Single. One.

Needless to say, it didn't take me long before I started planning my travel times to avoid school buses. But not everyone can do that; and for those who actually have places they have to be, I can understand how desperately they want to get out from behind school buses and how it can lead to ill-advised passing.

I think a good solution would be to require the buses to let traffic pass whenever there are four or more vehicles waiting behind them. Load the kids, close the door, turn off the flashers, and let the traffic pass. They might have to tweak the schedules to accommodate the stops, but I think it would be safer than infuriating everyone else on the road.

Of course, that's a concession to the fact that people don't always do the smart thing. If I were in the situation of having to compete with school buses to get to work every day, I'd probably leave early enough to avoid them, even if it meant spending half an hour reading the paper and drinking coffee at work before punching in. But this is the real world, and most people aren't going to do that.

Rich

I've also noticed that some people will do pretty much anything to pass a school bus, including passing when oncoming traffic is too close for comfort on two-lane roads, passing on the shoulder, passing on driveways or through corner parking lots, or passing in no-passing zones. I've witnessed some pretty close calls caused by people who were desperate to get out from behind a school bus.

I can kind of sympathize with them. Unlike myself, there are people who actually have to get to work and other appointments at specific times; and along some roads, getting stuck behind one school bus can easily triple your travel time.

<Snip>

Rich

In my situation, the school buses have 3 or so stops at apartment/townhouse/condo complexes. Each stop takes a couple of minutes at most. So build in 6 minutes for it (and don't lose your mind watching the "straggler" kid who delays the bus for 30 seconds), or leave a couple of minutes earlier so you're not stuck behind them. It ain't hard.

One thing I will say is that today's bus drivers aren't the drivers of my youth. On my (rural at the time) bus route, the bus was accelerating by the time you were at the top of the steps. Today, I'm pretty sure everyone must be seated before brake release.

In my situation, the school buses have 3 or so stops at apartment/townhouse/condo complexes. Each stop takes a couple of minutes at most. So build in 6 minutes for it (and don't lose your mind watching the "straggler" kid who delays the bus for 30 seconds), or leave a couple of minutes earlier so you're not stuck behind them. It ain't hard.

One thing I will say is that today's bus drivers aren't the drivers of my youth. On my (rural at the time) bus route, the bus was accelerating by the time you were at the top of the steps. Today, I'm pretty sure everyone must be seated before brake release.

The problem around here is that there may be as much as twenty miles between schools. Many of the school districts are "consolidated" ones that serve kids who live quite a long distance from the school. I'd say a five- to ten-mile radius is about average. But it really doesn't matter very much. If a school district's radius is smaller, you just run into the next one that much sooner.

Assuming a 55 MPH speed limit (and further assuming that everyone would actually drive 55 were it not for the school buses), even if a bus has to stop to pick up students only once every mile, and even if each stop takes only a minute, it roughly doubles the travel time for everyone else. Add in a few dawdling kids, the inevitable yapping parents, and bus drivers who have been ordered never to wave traffic past them while said parents are yapping, and it triples the travel time for everyone else.

I've found that the best way to deal with it is to avoid it, if I possibly can. I don't drive between 7:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., nor between 2:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m., if I can possibly avoid it. That seems to cover all the districts and all their staggered schedules, and allows me to avoid both the school buses and the people trying desperately to get out from behind them.

Rich

I’m rather sedate off the line in the Camaro but for some reason the other cars are usually small in the mirror...dunno what’s up with that...
Real fun in our Mini CooperS. Designed for the autobahn 0-60 6.2 Top end 146

Of course when you ARE barreling down the A4 at 260, you'd better keep your own a$$ in the right lane whenever possible -- or that guy doing 270 or 280 will be right on your butt with his lights and horn going. And it's probably an Audi.

That's what surprised me the most about driving on the Autobahn. I expected to see the Porsches and sportier BMWs going the fastest. Nope. The real speed monsters were almost all wearing Audi badges.

Required in Colorado 'unless actively passing'

That's what surprised me the most about driving on the Autobahn. I expected to see the Porsches and sportier BMWs going the fastest. Nope. The real speed monsters were almost all wearing Audi badges.

Yep, usually the big sedans are the ones really hauling the mail. Sorta rare to see a 911, strangely.

Yep, usually the big sedans are the ones really hauling the mail. Sorta rare to see a 911, strangely.
Long, straight and fast sounds like a mission suited for something solid and stable. Back in the old days, there was a distinction between sports cars and GT (grand touring).

My blinker is a statement, not a request.

I'm telling you what I'm going to do, not asking your permission.

My other peeve lately is the idiots who think because their DRLs are on and their 22” dashboard mounted LCD is lit, that the rest of their headlight system and all their marker lights actually turned on automatically after dark.

Now, that is one thing that drives me nuts about my Ford Escape. Other than the green indicator that comes on, even for the parking lights, you have no real indication whether the headlights are on or not. The dash lights don't change. And I have been caught by this "feature". Fortunately, only once and it was a no harm, no foul deal.

I NEVER drive in the left lane on the Autobahn. NEVER. I don't drive fast enough and it's amazing how fast those headlights that are a couple miles behind you become the grill of a very angry Mercedes. And I was 'only' doing about 160 kph as I came out of FRA onto the Autobahn.

A colleague who was German drove a Subaru. He called BMWs "B M Trouble Yous". No, that wasn't a pronunciation problem. He had no regard for BWMs due to their constant need for attention from the local mechanic. Must have been the German version of British cars.

Now, you folks in Colorado... I don't know if things have changed since I lived there in the early 1980s, but the thing that drove me nuts living there were the Denver drivers who did not know how to merge onto a freeway. They'd get to the end of the on-ramp and STOP. Look over their shoulder for a hole in traffic and then go. Like they thought they could go 0-60 instantaneously. In the meantime, I'm looking over my left shoulder for that same hole to merge into, with my foot buried in the gas. Then I'd look, see them stopped and hit the brakes. Absolute idiots.

And, how do traffic engineers recommend speed limits? The sample question on the Colorado PE exam that I had in a refresher class, and saw on the exam with different input data, said to take the radar data in 2 mph increments and find the 85th percentile speed. That was the speed to recommend. I know politicians have other ideas, but to an engineer it is rather straightforward.

As far as a vehicle to drive where you don't care about the idiots around you, my 1999 Jeep Wrangler is great. It's been in a couple accidents over the years, and I've driven away from both. Both resulted in tickets for the other driver, one in a traffic circle. Some idiot working for the state DOT didn't know how a traffic circle worked and got hit in the driver's door by my Jeep when I was leaving the circle from the middle lane, as permitted by the signage for the circle, and the idiot kept trying to go around in the outer lane, as NOT permitted by the signage. The other was a time on I-5 when someone in the right lane thought they should merge into my lane (middle lane) when I was already there. I laid on the horn, mashed the brakes and turned the wheel into that car just before contact to protect my sheet metal. Left over $1000 worth of damage to the car, you couldn't tell the Jeep had hit anything. Her insurance gave me some money to "repair" the Jeep. I used part of it to have the front end alignment checked to keep from wearing out tires prematurely. I love that old beast. Nobody in their right mind argues with it. Then there was the time my daughter got rear-ended in her Jeep Wrangler when she slowed down for traffic on the freeway. Hit by a full size Chevy pick-up truck. Did a bunch of damage to the Jeep's rear end, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. And, she drove away. The pick-up, on the other hand, needed a tow truck. To put it back on its wheels as it was on its side. Jeep 1 - Chevy 0. :p

Now, you folks in Colorado... I don't know if things have changed since I lived there in the early 1980s, but the thing that drove me nuts living there were the Denver drivers who did not know how to merge onto a freeway. They'd get to the end of the on-ramp and STOP. Look over their shoulder for a hole in traffic and then go. Like they thought they could go 0-60 instantaneously. In the meantime, I'm looking over my left shoulder for that same hole to merge into, with my foot buried in the gas. Then I'd look, see them stopped and hit the brakes. Absolute idiots.
Having spent a few unhappy years in OK, we still occasionally will see what we call the "Oklahoma Merge". Drive slowly to the top of the ramp, STOP, look BOTH WAYS, and turn onto the Interstate.

Never seen it enforced. Not even once. Not even when the State Trooper has to tailgate to get someone to move over.

They are starting on I-25 north of Denver. Most dangerous stretch of Interstate in CO. Lots of passing on the right.

but the thing that drove me nuts living there were the Denver drivers who did not know how to merge onto a freeway. They'd get to the end of the on-ramp and STOP. Look over their shoulder for a hole in traffic and then go. Like they thought they could go 0-60 instantaneously. In the meantime, I'm looking over my left shoulder for that same hole to merge into, with my foot buried in the gas. Then I'd look, see them stopped and hit the brakes. Absolute idiots.

I had that happen last Sunday here in NM. Except I don't use brakes. I ended up going between the stopped car and the 18 wheeler that was in the right lane of the interstate because a car was slowly passing him in the left lane so the 18 wheeler could not move over. After I passed the stopped car I let off the gas so I could fall in behind the truck. The truck driver knew what was going on and held a steady speed. I got in his left rear view and gave him the thumbs up when he looked back at me, and he gave me the its cool wave back at me.

Watched a girl texting and driving today.

The funniest part was at stop lights. She would text looking at the phone and she would stop too soon behind the car in front of her, and then like clockwork every couple of seconds she’d release her brakes, roll forward 6”, reapply them, and do this about six or seven times at every stop light.

I was hoping she would hit the car in front of her eventually but no. Oh well.

Thought about doing what I usually do which is lay on the horn until they revive themselves from phone-land and look, and then smile and make the “hang up the phone” hand gesture.

Not that hand gesture. Although it would also be appropriate. Haha.

Only time she made me nervous was when she fell in behind me but then she changed lanes three times because apparently after all that texting she was also lost. LOL

Freaking morons.

Back