Virus affect on GA

I’ll be flying on Saturday if the local weather improves as forecasted. Spare a thought for European pilots - VFR flying is being shut down in most European countries for who knows how long, forever wouldn’t surprise me in many areas, with no particular justification.

“Never let a crisis go to waste”

Their justification is to offload AC by minimizing traffic and also avoid any potential additional load on medical services ( accidents etc )
In other words , ******** - they do so because they can and in Europe authorities tend to have a lot more power as far as various types of emergency laws.
Having said that, jurisdictions like SF or NYC are not far behind and , in general, seems to be itching to test their emergency ( ie dictatorial ) powers.

Let me know if Spruce Goose is doing that. I'd like to take my daughter up for the same while the weather is so nice, but kids do appreciate "something" at the destination

It's already been posted that the Spruce Goose will not be doing take-out, but will be using the time to work on some fixes to the place that they have been putting off. Rats, I was thinking about running up there with my wife to enjoy some pie.

Oh well...

I'll be making it a point to fly as much as I can. If they put a stop on GA flying (non-essential of course), I plan on being airborne when they announce it. Today I flew, and did not get any closer than the 6' I got to the guy who stopped to look at my airplane and chat with me over the fence. Self-serve fuel and GA is the ultimate Social distancing mechanism, IMHO!

Im worried about my fbo closing. They are currently replacing the archer's engine, they hanger it, and they are the only source of fuel. At the rate IL is closing things, I'll be surprised if I get to fly again before July. At that point I'm guessing I'll need to take an instructor to knock off the rust.

Im also worried about my favorite couple airport restaurants. Those places seem to be hanging on by a thread in the best of times. Being closed for a month or more isn't going to help.
The restaurant at KCFO/KFTG is closed (as is the FBO as per county orders) but the restaurant at Greeley (KGXY) has picnic tables and serving takeout! Group headed up there this morning for lunch but I couldn't go.

Flew to SBY (Salisbury/Ocean City MD) today just to get out of the house. No mission. No reason to go to SBY. Was thinking OXB and the beach, but thought I wouldn't get an Uber to the boardwalk anyway. So why not SBY? Didn't even call to see if the deli there was open. I took a PB/J, a banana and a bottle of water from home in a bag to eat (no, not a bottle of water =that was panic-bought from costco... a metal one that I filled myself from the tap at my house).

One of the best flights of the year. Nothing but true social distance and solitude. Got me away from working from home (I took paid leave), got me thousands of feet above all the panic and crappy news. Sat in the sun by the FBO and ate my homemade sandwich and just thought about nothing but the light wind on my face and the partial sun peeking through the BKN layer on my face. It was what GA is all about to me and to a whole lot of folks on PoA, I'm sure. Shutting down GA flights would be a bad thing.

What about if you are in the market for a used aircraft? Good time to buy or just sit tight?

If there were great prices, the drastic drop in my and other's 401ks /IRA's would be keeping buyers away. (And I have no debt at all).

I was flying my wife to Hilton Head on her spring break, but that's out the window given I doubt much of anything will be open.

Took a Cessna up with an instructor today as all of my training was done in the Cherokee. It was obviously a different bird from what I am used to. Not terrible, but I'll get some solo time to practice landings more before I take the family up in it.

Back