Video SR22 shooting approaches in fog, icing and heavy snow.

Sure, it's not like he had to be there or deliver the diphtheria serum. He did this as a challenge, the same way how others will jump out of a plane or climb a mountain 'just because'. None of these things are necessary yet people opt to get out of their bubble and do them..

Well even a FIKI medevac aircraft with even more advanced systems and a crew with far more training and experience, wouldn't even take a life saving flight in those conditions, and for good reason.

As for jumping out of planes, lot like flying planes, there are procedures and tolerances, the people who exceed saftey margins you end up reading about on go fund me, the ones who you hear about "pushing the limits" do so in a VERY calculated manner, they don't just give'er and sit fat dumb and happy watching the screen.

I love the freedom of 91 and I wouldn't want to change a thing, nor would it honestly stop people like the kid in that video, that said when it comes to IFR I adopt much of the 135 world to my personal pt91 IMC flying.

Once in a Chieftain I followed a DC 6 on an approach, ILS to minimums due to visibility, snow and reported ceiling much like this approach. The -6 went missed and I made it. They said they never saw the rabbits, I had the rabbits in sight just as I hit MDA. Sometimes the difference in making it and not making it is just timing.

And yes, synthetic vision is that much help. In training with synthetic vision I took a practice approach down to 10 feet before the instructor said look up. WOW..!!!

Like James, even when pt 91 I still follow the 135 rules.

One thing is for sure...he drove the hell out of that Cirrus! He's a legend in my mind. His channel is actually pretty cool...some nice flights on there

He sure does program a mean autopilot! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol that was funny...although he seems like a pretty good pilot despite his questionable decision making?

Lol that was funny...although he seems like a pretty good pilot despite his questionable decision making?

Decision making is maybe 75% of being a good pilot. He was cool under pressure I guess. But he put himself in a dangerous situation, which shows really bad judgement. Nothing on the piloting side was hard. Anyone with an instrument rating and a G1000 should be able to do that. Nothing difficult, unless something goes wrong.

So I'm just starting on instrument stuff. Looking at the chart I see the MDA of 1418 (he used 1420 with the rounding) but isn't the /24 then mean RVR of 2400ft? Then the double asterisk says RVR of 1800ft if you have an FD (which he had). Buuuut the controller said RVR was 1400. So how was this legal? Did I miss an RVR update to 1800 in the video?

Under part 91 you can ignore the minimums and go take a look. And then claim that you had enough visibility at minimums...

So I'm just starting on instrument stuff. Looking at the chart I see the MDA of 1418 (he used 1420 with the rounding) but isn't the /24 then mean RVR of 2400ft? Then the double asterisk says RVR of 1800ft if you have an FD (which he had). Buuuut the controller said RVR was 1400. So how was this legal? Did I miss an RVR update to 1800 in the video?

The minimum visibility required is determined by flight visibility from the aircraft, hypothetically it could have been >=1800 even with an RVR of 1400.

The minimum visibility required is determined by flight visibility from the aircraft, hypothetically it could have been >=1800 even with an RVR of 1400.

The catch is, in the event of an accident, the FAA/NTSB will be pretty skeptical. Although crashes in these conditions rarely end well enough for the pilot to be in a position to be concerned.

I haven't taken much of a look into this as to what reasonable diversion options were available, but taking off in hard IFR with ice all around you in an airplane that has a limited supply of anti-icing (fixed) fluid is stupid.

Oh, and great job on running a cold engine up to 1,500rpm on the start.

Last edited:
There are old pilots and bold pilots, but not many old bold pilots.

The RVR at the rollout end of the runway was >2000. RVR is a measurement at ground level, not an actual visibility in flight, particularly with drifting snow they can be wildly pessimistic.

Is the SR22 even approved for freezing rain/fog? The PC-12 was a very capable aircraft, but even it couldn't fly in anything that had freezing in the title.

Is the SR22 even approved for freezing rain/fog? The PC-12 was a very capable aircraft, but even it couldn't fly in anything that had freezing in the title.
IIRC, nothing in the manual says otherwise. I've flown SR22s into snow and icing conditions but would never do what guy in the video did. Heck even the jets don't mess around with freezing rain.

IIRC, nothing in the manual says otherwise. I've flown SR22s into snow and icing condition me but would never do what guy in the video did. Heck even the jets don't mess around with freezing rain.

I fly something with two engines from an A-10 and hot wings, and I'd be nervous flying in freezing rain

I haven't taken much of a look into this as to what reasonable diversion options were available, but taking off in hard IFR with ice all around you in an airplane that has a limited supply of de-icing fluid is stupid.

Stupid indeed. Not surprised it was a Cirrus driver with the typical Cirrus ADM mentality.

Doesn't mean anything. That's after the fact, he couldn't have known that the reports and ATIS and and and wouldn't have happened to him. Or on the next approach...

Where was anything frozen?

The windshield would been frozen around the edges of protection. It wasn't
Ummm ... does the protection have edges on a 22? Pretty sure it's liquid so subject to being spread out by that air stuff running past it. Slinger prop too so everything downstream from that gets coated.

The SR22 and SR22T with FIKI is approved to fly in ice, yes. The system includes fluid on rudder, elevator, wings from root to tips, prop, and pilot side windshield. The plane so equipped has heat for both pitot and the electro-pneumatic stall warning system.

Probable cause isn't out yet but I'm fairly certain ice took the life of a friend of mine in a similar flight and identical aircraft. Guy is playing with fire IMO.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/R...=20141107X75136&AKey=1&RType=Factual&IType=FA

I'm sorry about your friend... but that airplane wasn't FIKI.

Sobering report. 1000 hours... weather can be unpredictable and ever-changing. Really sorry about your friend and others onboard.

Probable cause isn't out yet but I'm fairly certain ice took the life of a friend of mine in a similar flight and identical aircraft. Guy is playing with fire IMO.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/R...=20141107X75136&AKey=1&RType=Factual&IType=FA

Surely not identical?

From the NTSB report:
"The accident airplane was not certified for flight in icing conditions."

Also, it was Cirrus #120, from 2001. So likely also not SV?

Not that SV would have helped with your friend's accident - but it's not an identical airplane to what the OP posted.

The SR22 and SR22T with FIKI is approved to fly in ice, yes. The system includes fluid on rudder, elevator, wings from root to tips, prop, and pilot side windshield. The plane so equipped has heat for both pitot and the electro-pneumatic stall warning system.
But flight into freezing rain is prohibited. The flight manual supplement for the FIKI system clearly states that. I haven't found anything about freezing fog. It does describe icing conditions in which flight cannot be continued.

I'm sorry about your friend... but that airplane wasn't FIKI.

Sobering report. 1000 hours... weather can be unpredictable and ever-changing. Really sorry about your friend and others onboard.

Good point. You are correct they were not identical. I still think he's taking a lot of risk.

Good point. You are correct they were not identical. I still think he's taking a lot of risk.

Yeah no effing way I'd do that! I'd be at a bar watching everyone holding over the VOR on FlightAware ;)

But flight into freezing rain is prohibited. The flight manual supplement for the FIKI system clearly states that. I haven't found anything about freezing fog. It does describe icing conditions in which flight cannot be continued.

The FIKI system was designed and certified to meet FAR Part 25, Appx C. The manual says taking off in freezing rain or snow is prohibited. The ops manual goes on to warn that freezing rain and other harsh icing conditions are to be avoided and/or exited as soon as possible. The degree of icing hazard has to be assessed by the PIC. As you increase the flow the fluid is used at much higher rates decreasing the time you can fly in conditions. No question intentionally flying in hard icing conditions is dangerous for all aircraft, not just the ones with systems designed to deal with it.

Yeah no effing way I'd do that! I'd be at a bar watching everyone holding over the VOR on FlightAware ;)

There is no effing way kind of like in the way I'm no effing way free climbing El Capitan. I like my life too much.

The FIKI system was designed and certified to meet FAR Part 25, Appx C. The manual says taking off in freezing rain or snow is prohibited. The ops manual goes on to warn that freezing rain and other harsh icing conditions are to be avoided and/or exited as soon as possible. The degree of icing hazard has to be assessed by the PIC. As you increase the flow the fluid is used at much higher rates decreasing the time you can fly in conditions. No question intentionally flying in hard icing conditions is dangerous for all aircraft, not just the ones with systems designed to deal with it.
Ummm, didn't see anything about taking off in snow being prohibited.

I certainly wouldn't do it, although I'm reluctant to throw stones as I did my share of stupid crap in airplanes when I was young and invincible.

Wouldn't have put it on the internet for everyone to see, though. ;)

Wow that video was awesome, so in that sense, I'm glad he posted it. I wouldn't have flown into those conditions even with his capabilities / equipment though.

IIRC, nothing in the manual says otherwise. I've flown SR22s into snow and icing conditions but would never do what guy in the video did. Heck even the jets don't mess around with freezing rain.
Yeah no doubt! It really says something when that Skywest RJ went missed and was out holding, but that sure didn't stop the little ol' Cirrus from attempting it. :confused:

When I click on the video in the first post, it tells me that it is private and will not run. How did you folks get round that?

Back