Video SR22 shooting approaches in fog, icing and heavy snow.

Here's another old time favorite of mine.....note the response of the SR-22 pilot. :eek:

This one hits close to home as I am based in Reno. You really need to respect these mountains out here. I think CirrusDriver's ADM is rather questionable. Certainly at 17 years old it is hard to imagine someone who knows enough to know what he doesn't know.

Last edited:
At least he was instrument rated unlike these knuckleheads that almost became a smoking hole in the side of a mountain after entering IMC and continuing the flight. Can't believe this one is still up. Jump to 1:08 if you don't want to watch the entire video.

Brian

I don't get how people do stuff like that!

The Cirrus SR22 accident from 2005 was grim indeed. To get over the Sierras out of Reno requires flying higher and colder and is a challenge for any GA aircraft, especially when icing conditions are present. The pilot made a lot of mistakes including attempting to deploy the CAPS chute outside the envelope leading to it's failure also.

133 KIAS - VPD (SR20 G3/SR22/SR22T) - Maximum demonstrated deployment speed for CAPS
140 KIAS - VPD (SR22/SR22TG5) - Maximum demonstrated deployment speed for CAPS

This may have already been said, but...

It looks better than 1200 RVR. If it's not, he could be in deep doo-doo.

Depends, in a real FIKI plane ice isn't a game ended as long as you understand your/your planes limitations

Fair point, but Mother nature is female and when she is in a bad mood I rather not, even if I'm flying with a capable airplane. Too many pilots get caught up thinking that they have a capable airplane and then the weather gets worse. Similar to what happen with the accident case above.

so....after the tail freezes....and you have that oh chitz moment....how are we slowing to chute speed?

so....after the tail freezes....and you have that oh chitz moment....how are we slowing to chute speed?

There is ice protection on leading edge of wings and both horizontal and vertical stabilizers. But... it's a good point. Recommended speed with ice protection on is 95 to 139 kts. Just have to be aware and keep watching.

The Cirrus FIKI has rudder and elevator fluid cover. The plane is slowed by pulling power, setting full flaps and flying level. We can't know but in the 2005 fatality the guy may have been stalled and nose down gaining speed before pulling. If the elevator was limited his decision to pull needed to happen as soon as he began to stall. The Cirrus factory CAPS simulator trains for these scenarios.

The Cirrus FIKI has rudder and elevator fluid cover. The plane is slowed by pulling power, setting full flaps and flying level. We can't know but in the 2005 fatality the guy may have been stalled and nose down gaining speed before pulling. If the elevator was limited his decision to pull needed to happen as soon as he began to stall. The Cirrus factory CAPS simulator trains for these scenarios.

It's the flying level thing that might be challenging if you let the icing go too far...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am fortunate that I have access to a FIKI SR22. It's an awesome bird. I've ran into some icing and the system knocked it off like it was nuthin.... However, that flight in the video I would not have personally done. He certainly stayed cool, and calm and he programmed the automation correctly. However had something failed he would have had quite the workload. But we DO train for that.. but still too close for me, personally. I'd say he was borderline to a bust. Had an incident occurred then I think he'd be toast. Great video either way.

I thought he flew and managed the aircraft pretty well.

I thought his ADM pushed the limits a little further than necessary.

You can play with snakes for years and never get bit, but eventually...

Even FIKI there's not much good reason to "practice" in ice. I didn't get the impression the flight was done for any other reason than to shoot the video.

Last edited:
I want to know what the Skywest pilots said when approach told them that a SR-22 made it in.
I don't know what the runway, Skywest or that airplane is certified for, but 1200 RVR is at least CATII minimums. There's a good chance Skywest couldn't legally do the approach.

I want to know what the Skywest pilots said when approach told them that a SR-22 made it in.

I don't know what the runway, Skywest or that airplane is certified for, but 1200 RVR is at least CATII minimums. There's a good chance Skywest couldn't legally do the approach.
Part 121 can't even start the approach is it's being called below mins (with a few exceptions). This approach calls for 2400 RVR (Cat I only), so if it's being called below that, it's a no-go.

Part 121 can't even start the approach is it's being called below mins (with a few exceptions). This approach calls for 2400 RVR (Cat I only), so if it's being called below that, it's a no-go.
Exactly. I wasn't aware of what the approach category is, but agree with you on the rules.

PF: "What's that idiot doing up here in a Cirrus today?"

PNF: "Ha, braking action poor. Guess he didn't want that touch and go, after all."

PF: "He remembered he was below the chute deployment altitude."

And had a good laugh while doing laps in the hold. ;-)

Depends on the plane, but the FIKIs I fly are not cleared for operations in freezing rain, drizzle or fog. And living somewhere where that type of weather isn't uncommon, it makes everything into a ice rink, flows much further than other types of ice, aside from the plane not legally being allowed in the stuff, it just causes so much trouble all around its just not safe or prudent IMHO.

Bunch of Nancys on here.

Flew a de-iced (FIKI??) Bird to minimums and landed it.
What's wrong with that? Is it as easy as CAVU, no. Is there extra risk? Yes.
Seems like he did ok. What if the de ice failed, what if the ahrs failed, yada, yada, yada.
What if he died taking a shower that morning?

You all sound like a cfi I had a checkout. It was light to light plus turbulence. Not true moderate yet. Guy was freaking out, worried about bending the plane. In a tiger with the uber strong wing spar. Doing a couple approaches.

Nancys says I.

Fair point, but Mother nature is female and when she is in a bad mood I rather not, even if I'm flying with a capable airplane. Too many pilots get caught up thinking that they have a capable airplane and then the weather gets worse. Similar to what happen with the accident case above.

Ice is a lot like anything else, even flying IFR, there diffrent levels and diffrent situations, knowing your outs, etc.

To paint with such a wide brush isn't something id recommend.

Depends on the plane, but the FIKIs I fly are not cleared for operations in freezing rain, drizzle or fog. And living somewhere where that type of weather isn't uncommon, it makes everything into a ice rink, flows much further than other types of ice, aside from the plane not legally being allowed in the stuff, it just causes so much trouble all around its just not safe or prudent IMHO.
Okay... Makes sense. I just didn't understand what you were driving at.

Can someone tell me why the manifold pressure and %power is bouncing around early in the video (from around 7:30 to 8:00)? He doesn't seem to be adjusting power, but it's not at all stable.

Back