Video: Cirrus SR22T IFR <200' OVC departure w/ 900' OVC approach at Class B KBWI

Bravo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bravo
I took this fun trip the other day. Was the first time I had a flight that was pretty much entirely IMC with some developing storm cells to dodge. I show the entire flight in fast forward at times but slow it down for departure, to explain the weather some and for the approach into BWI. Enjoy..

thanks for the "ride along by video". I will get brave enough to go into BWI one of these days.

That video kinda made me not want to get my IR hahaha

A big thank you for sharing that! Watched all 20 something minutes of it!

Few Q's:

1) What camera did you use? Gopro?

2) What video editing software?

3) On the computer you used to edit so much video, how much RAM do you have? How many Ghz is the processor? Dual or Quad core?

How close were you to being able to get on-top? Looks like another 1000' higher or so, and you would have been fully basking in the sun.

That video kinda made me not want to get my IR hahaha

You'd do fine. I too felt the same too a while back, and a flight like this seemed overwhelming, but slowly through osthmosis, you would just get used to it and build up confidence.

The apprehension that you describe is very similar to how I feel now about taking a single engine 18' skiff, on a 60 NM trip over open ocean in the SE Bahamas from Crooked Island to East Plana Cay!

Best thing you can do is seek out an experienced IR pilot (not necessarily a CFII) and ask him/her to ride along while you are still acting as PIC. While not a legally required crew member of course, the feeling of having them there to be a "safety blanket" is invaluable IMHO.

Last edited:
How close were you to being able to get on-top? Looks like another 1000' higher or so, and you would have been fully basking in the sun.

I'm gonna try this one. It looked like there was another layer above with a vfr section in between. If you go VFR on top he would have to follow the I think he was going west so even thousand plus 500 rule which would have just stuck him in the upper layer.

How did I do??

I'm really excited to go into the clouds but I would be lying if I said I have no fear of it hahaha. And open water forget about it one word sharks hahaha

We keep editing LOL, yea I wouldn't dream of trying it without a CFII

Last edited:
I'm gonna try this one. It looked like there was another layer above with a vfr section in between. If you go VFR on top he would have to follow the I think he was going west so even thousand plus 500 rule which would have just stuck him in the upper layer.

How did I do??

VFR on top (different than VFR over the top) is still an IFR clearance, but it allows you to select any VFR altitude, while still being required to maintain the standard visibility and cloud clearance minima.

I'm really excited to go into the clouds but I would be lying if I said I have no fear of it hahaha. And open water forget about it one word sharks hahaha

Well, I'd say its a GOOD thing that you have some fear of being in the soup. Or maybe respect is a better word. VFR into IMC kills a lot more pilots than icing and t-storms combine, even though both of those scare me far more than otherwise benign low IFR.

Last edited:
Thanks coopair, you gave me some stuff to read up on.

Thanks coopair, you gave me some stuff to read up on.

No problem!

I just saw that you are a NEW private pilot, so knowing that, I am even less concerned about your intimidation of doing a long IFR XC in real world wx!

You have plentyyyyy of time to build up to that! Heck………….there are a lot of days where I wish I could go back to when I had 100 hrs when flying was 10X more fun than it is now. (Not that it isn't fun anymore, but just you get used to it).

Cool. What was your plan if problems developed shortly on takeoff? Your dept airport would be below mins.
Below mins? looked good to me.

On a side note, commercial ops need a TO alternate in some situations. Not sure about private.

On a side note, commercial ops need a TO alternate in some situations. Not sure about private.

At 2:47, it says in the soup at 127'. IFR mins are usually 200', For his TO airport it is 250'.

Not legally required, but interested in the planning aspect since legally he couldn't land at the TO airport.

I cant think of any serious failure scenario that requires a forced landing where I would not pop the chute.

You can't deadstick an approach to minimums, you need power. If you do an ILS with a sick engine there is going to be a substantial amount of time where you are below the minimum parachute altitude and out of gliding distance of the runway.

Not saying it's wise to take off with weather below approach mins, just bringing this up for discussion.

Thanks everyone. Glad to be able to share such experiences. :)

Cool. What was your plan if problems developed shortly on takeoff? Your dept airport would be below mins.

It was reported as 300' then 400' then 300' prior to takeoff. It obviously took a turn south and did in deed go below minimums. If below 400-500 feet i would be turning towards the lake and going for the ride. The airport is higher than the lake, so it could give me some more time. Above that if it was serious, it would be a chute pull for sure or maybe a diversion to MGW if minor.

A big thank you for sharing that! Watched all 20 something minutes of it!

Few Q's:

1) What camera did you use? Gopro?

2) What video editing software?

3) On the computer you used to edit so much video, how much RAM do you have? How many Ghz is the processor? Dual or Quad core?

How close were you to being able to get on-top? Looks like another 1000' higher or so, and you would have been fully basking in the .

Very welcome. You obviously enjoy IFR as much as I do. I have enjoyed your videos as well. It is a gopro hero4. Adobe premier pro cc. Alienware laptop and no idea on the ram, ghz or processor. I7 or i think? Initially it looked like i was going to get on top going through 6000' but once i turned east i noticed the cloud level was higher. I'd say 10-12 might have put me on top, but i was a pretty short trip so not sure 12k would have worked out for long.

At 2:47, it says in the soup at 127'. IFR mins are usually 200', For his TO airport it is 250'.

Not legally required, but interested in the planning aspect since legally he couldn't land at the TO airport.
Minimums are based on visibility, not ceiling.

I can see how newer pilots can make that mistake. Fact is, the published DA is a decision altitude, not a ceiling requirement. You may ask if the ceiling is 100 feet, how would I ever get in? Fact is I've landed cat 1 many times with ceiling at 0 feet. If the rabbit (sfl) can penetrate the cloud (fog) enough for cat 1 vis (usually 1800 rvr) than you are a-okay.

Nice thing about primary class B airports, in an emergency there's a lot of asphalt out there and likely it's already been surveyed for 100 or less DH's (even if you're not legal to fly them).

There are no part 91 takeoff minimums.

If you have problems on takeoff, that's an emergency and you do what you need to do. They're not going to say "oh, nope, we're below minimums so you have to crash into the trees." :D

If you have problems on takeoff, that's an emergency and you do what you need to do. They're not going to say "oh, nope, we're below minimums so you have to crash into the trees." :D

True.... But it was NOT below mins!!!

True.... But it was NOT below mins!!!

Except, per the OP, it was. "In the soup" 125' below DA at your typical untowered airport mens you have no chance of distinguishing the runway env. at DA.

While there is no legal req. for TO alt in part 91, it is wise and I was curious about OP's emer plans- which he shared. In the cirrus, a chute pull is an option. Other planes, not so much...

Except, per the OP, it was. "In the soup" 125' below DA at your typical untowered airport mens you have no chance of distinguishing the runway env. at DA.

While there is no legal req. for TO alt in part 91, it is wise and I was curious about OP's emer plans- which he shared. In the cirrus, a chute pull is an option. Other planes, not so much...
Absolutely, positively, incorrect.
A DA is a decision altitude, not a minimum.
If the ceiling is 0, which I have seen many times, you are fine. If the sequenced flashing lights (rabbit) can penetrate the layer, the only thing needed for minimums is Touchdown Zone RVR. The "200" DA published has absolutely NOTHING to do with minimums.

Absolutely, positively, incorrect.
A DA is a decision altitude, not a minimum.
If the ceiling is 0, which I have seen many times, you are fine. If the sequenced flashing lights (rabbit) can penetrate the layer, the only thing needed for minimums is Touchdown Zone RVR. The "200" DA published has absolutely NOTHING to do with minimums.

Do you even read? The minimal "lights" of an untowered airport like the departure airport are NOT the same as a full bore Class B primary. They'd be lucky to penetrate their own bulb covers.

Since this apt only has a GPS approach and lacked even ye olde "fly the needles into the runway" backup, it's a legit question.

Do you even read? The minimal "lights" of an untowered airport like the departure airport are NOT the same as a full bore Class B primary. They'd be lucky to penetrate their own bulb covers.

Since this apt only has a GPS approach and lacked even ye olde "fly the needles into the runway" backup, it's a legit question.

Not sure what you're talking about exactly... But the fact remains the ONLY minimum required is visibility. Not some sort of MDA/DA. Period.

:) You both are right. For all practical purposes and how I would normally concieve of the minimums for the approach, Warthog1984 is on the same page. What Kritchlow is trying to explain is that there are ways to go below the DA/DH if certain criteria are met. It very well may have been met that morning had I needed to come back in on the approach. I found this article which may be helpful. http://www.boldmethod.com/blog/2014/05/ils-approach-da-dh/ , I also want to say something about my decision to depart with what ended up being 127' ceiling. The awos reported 400 and 300 foot ceilings which is above the posted DA. My personal rule is to not depart when they report lower than the approach minimums. Unfortunitely this is the second time this has happened and i have shared both experiences. I do think it is a fun and neat experience, but ofcourse i would feel much better knowing i could return to my departure airport on an approach if nessessary.

Last edited:
Not quite... Plain and simple, DA is NOT a minimum. It is a DECISISION ALTITUDE. That should not imply in any way a 200 foot ceiling is a minimum for the approach. The ONLY minimum is the visibility.

Please PM me if you need further instruction.

I never understood this place... If I was was wrong there would be fifty people pointing out my error. When I'm right.... Crickets.

:) You both are right. For all practical purposes and how I would normally concieve of the minimums for the approach, Warthog1984 is on the same page. What Kritchlow is trying to explain is that there are ways to go below the DA/DH if certain criteria are met. It very well may have been met that morning had I needed to come back in on the approach. I found this article which may be helpful. http://www.boldmethod.com/blog/2014/05/ils-approach-da-dh/ , I also want to say something about my decision to depart with what ended up being 127' ceiling. The awos reported 400 and 300 foot ceilings which is above the posted DA. My personal rule is to not depart when they report lower than the approach minimums. Unfortunitely this is the second time this has happened and i have shared both experiences. I do think it is a fun and neat experience, but ofcourse i would feel much better knowing i could return to my departure airport on an approach if nessessary.

Oh, I agree that you're allowed to depart in any conditions, and that the AWOS claimed ceilings above DA. I was just curious about the planning after liftoff since my experience with similar airports is that having that much "soup" under you makes identifying the runway environment at DA/DH in case of turnaround... somewhere between improbable and impossible.

Oh, I agree that you're allowed to depart in any conditions, and that the AWOS claimed ceilings above DA. I was just curious about the planning after liftoff since my experience with similar airports is that having that much "soup" under you makes identifying the runway environment at DA/DH in case of turnaround... somewhere between improbable and impossible.

With all do respect... You simply are not comprehending the landing concept.

Please PM me. We can talk via phone.

I once had IAD run the lights up to full bright for me on an approach. Unbelieveably bright even in low visibility.

With all do respect... You simply are not comprehending the landing concept.

Please PM me. We can talk via phone.
That seems way too strong a statement. I agree with Bravo, you are both right. To go below DA, you need (a) the runway environment in sight and (b) the required flight visibility. You can go lower than DA with the runway environment in sight. But if you were planning to get back in to the departure airport, and the ceiling was below the DA, would you take off? The point is you have no assurance of seeing the rabbit at DA (even though you certainly might), and if the bases are 100 feet below DA, what are your chances of having the required flight visibility? I'd expect to MAYBE see the rabbit, and MAYBE be getting glimpses of the ground directly below if the bases are ragged. I'd also expect forward visibility to be basically zero. In that circumstance, 91.175 is clear: you have to go missed.

If you're saying that you can descend lower with only the rabbit if the *reported visibility* is at least as good as that specified on the plate, I don't think that's correct. The reported visibility is ground visibility and you need adequate *flight* visibility, according to 91.175.

What am I missing?

But if you were planning to get back in to the departure airport, and the ceiling was below the DA, would you take off? The point is you have no assurance of seeing the rabbit at DA (even though you certainly might), and if the bases are 100 feet below DA, what are your chances of having the required flight visibility? I'd expect to MAYBE see the rabbit, and MAYBE be getting glimpses of the ground directly below if the bases are ragged. I'd also expect forward visibility to be basically zero. In that circumstance, 91.175 is clear: you have to go missed.

If you're saying that you can descend lower with only the rabbit if the *reported visibility* is at least as good as that specified on the plate, I don't think that's correct. The reported visibility is ground visibility and you need adequate *flight* visibility, according to 91.175.

What am I missing?
In my view, what people are missing is that, in a single, you're not going to get back into the departure airport if you lose an engine and it's IMC, unless you are low enough to have not entered the clouds, but not too low to do the impossible turn. No way you are going to do the instrument approach. Does it matter if you lose the engine climbing out in the clouds at 200' or 500'? If you have some other kind of emergency or engine problem that gives you reduced power then maybe you should plan for a takeoff alternate like the 135 and 121 folks do when they take off below landing minimums..

Nice thing about primary class B airports, in an emergency there's a lot of asphalt out there and likely it's already been surveyed for 100 or less DH's (even if you're not legal to fly them).

There are no part 91 takeoff minimums.

Nor are you prohibited under Part 91 from shooting an approach that is below minimums.

In my view, what people are missing is that, in a single, you're not going to get back into the departure airport if you lose an engine and it's IMC, unless you are low enough to have not entered the clouds, but not too low to do the impossible turn. No way you are going to do the instrument approach. Does it matter if you lose the engine climbing out in the clouds at 200' or 500'? If you have some other kind of emergency or engine problem that gives you reduced power then maybe you should plan for a takeoff alternate like the 135 and 121 folks do when they take off below landing minimums..
No argument there, and I was thinking of making that point as well. But that's true of ANY departure into IFR conditions in a single, even if conditions are somewhat above minimums. If we're talking about getting back into the departure field for reasons other than an emergency, then whether you could get back in on an approach becomes relevant.

About the only emergency situation I can think of where this discussion makes sense would be a vacuum failure or single instrument failure where you are partial panel. Even an alternator failure would be quite serious for me if it happened on climb out, since I don't think my battery would last long enough to keep all my instruments alive the whole way back on an approach.

Back